Comments (1 to 50 of 58)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Jay the best in Charlotte, North Carolina

72 months ago

Just Moved to North Carolina There's no Jobs there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Barbara Kovar in Whitehouse, Ohio

72 months ago

Go online to different cities, and check out the help wanted ads in the major newspapers. Also send out letters to employment agencies, check out the temp agencies. Keep looking, you may have to move to find a job.

What field are you in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Charlotte, North Carolina

71 months ago

I moved here five months ago,there is no jobs in North Carolina.My advice for friends and relative,Find employment before you move here.

Jay the best in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Just Moved to North Carolina There's no Jobs there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Matthews, North Carolina

71 months ago

Lisa in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I moved here five months ago,there is no jobs in North Carolina.My advice for friends and relative,Find employment before you move here.

I moved here 9 months ago, have a bachelor's degree in accounting and am working on my master's degree and still haven't found a job. I moved from NY and may have to move back to find a job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jim in Fort Mill, South Carolina

71 months ago

Charlotte can be a tough city to find work because it is very clicky.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ernestine in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

71 months ago

I have been looking for employment before moving to Charlotte. I am finding that employers want you to be living in Charlotte before offering you a position. I want a job before relocating to North Carolina.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ken in Catawba, South Carolina

70 months ago

It probably isn't the best time to come to Charlotte. Banking is a major industry here with Bank of America & Wachovia headquartered here as well as several smaller banks and with the mortgage/credit mess still in full swing it makes jobs tougher to find and competition fiercer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jerry flower in newyork, India

69 months ago

Yes am agree with you. There is no job in North Carolina. I just want to move from North Carolina. There is no industry, no multinational company office, how one can find a job in this city.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MJ in Austin, Texas

69 months ago

You may find some useful information at www.workingincharlotte.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SpotOn in Charlotte, North Carolina

68 months ago

While there are jobs in Charlotte they are not easy to come by - the reason why? - because there have been so many new transplants moving into the area the companies located here really are deluged with resumes when an opening does occur.

My suggestion would be to obtain a cell phone with a local NC area code number, and I have also known of people that use a Charlotte, NC Po Box on their resumes if they are trying to locate work from out of state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

gloriamoreno in Charlotte, North Carolina

66 months ago

I will get you j o b !!
I will get you, I promise
Spanish English Excellent Customer Service

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

gloriamoreno in Charlotte, North Carolina

66 months ago

jim in Fort Mill, South Carolina said: Charlotte can be a tough city to find work because it is very clicky.

Agree, You have to belong to a community group also, like a church a service program, military or school. the other thing is that you find here the OLD money and the New money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Albemarle, North Carolina

63 months ago

It used to be a great place to live and work! The banks and home builder's greed has really hurt this once great place to live and work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Charlene in Wallingford, Connecticut

63 months ago

Ernestine in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I have been looking for employment before moving to Charlotte. I am finding that employers want you to be living in Charlotte before offering you a position. I want a job before relocating to North Carolina.

I moved to Charlotte 8/07 and had a job that I was offered since I flew down there to look for houses and set up interviews two months prior. We negotiated a salary and benefits and my start date. I sold my home in Ct purchased in NC moved there 8/1 and was to start work 8/29. On 8/27 I recieved the phone call that due to the mortgage meltdown they could not justify hiring me after all. I was unemployed from 8/07 to 1/08 then started a job making 9k a year less than I moved there for. I was laid off 6/08 and there were no jobs not even in restaurants so I left NC returned to CT and have been working here supporting my home in Charlotte. I now have gotten laid off in CT and am returning to NC 3/1.

I found that everyone wants "local" experience regardless of the strength of your resume. You have to know someone and have contacts to be more than one of a thousand resumes being sent in for any job. Try Craigs List NC I find alot of opportunity on there more so than Career Builder. Good luck to you I am crossing my fingers for myself too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Son in Hayward, California

63 months ago

Jay the best in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Just Moved to North Carolina There's no Jobs there

Contact me right a way. Because I lived in North California too. I am able to help you with a great work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

gloria in charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina

63 months ago

gloriamoreno in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I will get you j o b !!
I will get you, I promise
Spanish English Excellent Customer Service

Is this offer still open?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Toan in San Leandro, California

63 months ago

gloria in charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Is this offer still open?

Yeah, Which way that we can directly talk to you about this offer? May I have your phone number, so We can talk about that? May I know the location of your living?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

gloria in Charlotte, North Carolina

63 months ago

e-mail to gloria4angel05@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I will recomend: Type Charlotte Legal, is very general on Jobs too.
E-mail to this Type: CharlotteCraig'slist, economy is sending jobs over this kind of SYSTEMLists empoyers don't pay for ads and information just follow the "PC's discretions" Youknow
Go to Charlotte ohSoHandy.com has old jobs listed but sometime has great reviews and is legit. type CharlotteObserver.com our local paper JobLink.org/Goodwill Industries.org and their JobConnection.com Mrs. Angela Moiser UrbanLeaguecc.org
City of Charlotte Career Connection UP-town takes resumes by fax only or write to City of Charlotte 600 East Fouth St.NC 28202 @HumanResources
now, southcharlotte@chasestaffing.com fancy$$$$lawyers
Hope this give you a good start,HEY is the begining that is hard. I still going to interviews so is not that bad YET. let me know if you are planing to come soon my friend has a roon for rent available this month. Gloria:)
Call OfficeTeam is Uptown Charlotte and Knows almost everybody
at court house I think, or go on line

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I moved to Charlotte 8/07 because I was offered a job with a large firm. I closed on my house in Charlotte 8/01 & was to start working 8/29. On 8/27 the attorney called me and said "I feel really bad but due to the mortgage meltdown I cannot justify hiring you after all". I was unemployed until 1/26/08 and got a job at a firm in Concord and on 6/6/08 they said due to real estate plummeting we cannot justify your salary and laid me off. There were no jobs in June so I returned to CT since there was work here. Just got laid off in CT 1/30/09 due to the "economy being so bad" (I was the only full time employee with benefits). I really appreciate the info on the job links and I am hoping to leave next week to return and find work in the Meck/Union/Cabarrus County areas. I am hopeful that this time around things will work out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Ernestine in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I have been looking for employment before moving to Charlotte. I am finding that employers want you to be living in Charlotte before offering you a position. I want a job before relocating to North Carolina.

Smart move. I suggest you get a cell phone with a NC phone number since resumes with out of state phone numbers and experience do not seem to get you very far. Good luck to you.

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

Charlene - except for not having a job, how do you like Charlotte?

I want out of Tampa (lived here for 25 years, want out). I am thinking of northwest Atlanta or Charlotte.

So except for not having a job, how do you like Charlotte?

62 months ago

I watched the area for 10+ years before I made the move and I thought I did all my research. Housing, car insurance, utilities and taxes are cheaper. Grocery stores leave alot to be desired and the cost is as much as the NE but much fewer choices.As far as the job market it depends on what you do for a living BUT they advertise for an opening and two months or better can pass before you MAY get a call for an interview. Everyone interviews 2-3 times and the process is grueling. Being from the NE I was advised by people to "dumb it down a bit in the interview & take it back a notch". Southerners seem pleasant BUT they really do not like all the transplants that have moved there and resent the people relocating there taking jobs, being demanding, expecting more and destroying the beautiful landscape with neighborhoods of McMansions.

It can be very clicky unless you are seriously affiliated with a church organization and that may get you the contacts you will need. Plan to come with a cash infusion to support yourself for at least six months while you wait for someone to call you about an interview. If you plan to rent you can get a really nice apartment/condo with amenities for a good price.

The positive aspects are there is nothing like seeing your first Carolina blue sky it is something to see. The Blueridge Mountains are magnificent in the fall they rival New England in the fall. From SECharlotte you are within 20-25 minutes of the airport and its an ez commute. From what I have seen of uptown Charlotte its clean and lovely and we now have the light rail that will take you right into uptown and they boast all kinds of night life and things to do.

You do NOT want to live on the West side of Charlotte its bad news with alot of crime and I mean violent crime. The east side is a bit better, very ethnically diverse but so so. South Charlotte, SE Charlotte, Mint Hill are all nice areas.

University area is touch and go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Many of us live here but work around the area. Dont forget to get out the BOX, there is always South Carolina, A LOT OF JOBS. to work is great, Iam going to Rock Hill, 30 mim ride, no presure and work enviroment is great. There's Jobs in Columbia and Greensvile. See Chamber of Commerce Rock Hill or City of RockHill.com if you can drive long and see those beautiful sunlights/sunsets there are taking about. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

178 in Naugatuck, Connecticut

62 months ago

gloria in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Many of us live here but work around the area. Dont forget to get out the BOX, there is always South Carolina, A LOT OF JOBS. to work is great, Iam going to Rock Hill, 30 mim ride, no presure and work enviroment is great. There's Jobs in Columbia and Greensvile. See Chamber of Commerce Rock Hill or City of RockHill.com if you can drive long and see those beautiful sunlights/sunsets there are taking about. Good luck

Thanks I will leave no stone unturned !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tejohnson in Charlotte, North Carolina

62 months ago

I hate when transplant move here because all they do is "tighten" up the job market for people who have lived here for years, been laid off and are now trying to transition into new employment.

Local employment gets flooded with out of state resume via the internet, email, etc. It just makes the selection process horrible for hard working Charlotteans who also submit their resume and its buried under 500+ resume with probably more then half of them being from out of state or recent transplants. I'm not trying to be mean but, it just create a vicious cycle for those who have lived and worked in Charlotte for years. Believe me as a person living and working in Charlotte for over 20 years, I do use my connections, if you will, (because I know a lot of people) to help some of my friends find work or give them the 'heads up' first because I feel the people who have been here and have history in Charlotte should be the one getting re-hired FIRST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Charlene in Charlotte, North Carolina

62 months ago

That is the mentality that is so wrong. If you have lived here twenty years and I have lived here twenty minutes BUT I have the experience for the job then the better candidate should get the position. I have lived in CT, FLA, CO, AZ, CA and now NC and the transplant attitude is ridiculous. Where did you live before Charlotte? At some point you were the new one in town and hoping for an opportunity to make a living.

Also if you re-read your own posting, you SHOULD note that you have not even posted a grammatically correct statement. Hmmmmmm I am assuming we are not even on the same playing field so don't fret I doubt we will ever compete for the same job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Don in Charlotte, North Carolina

59 months ago

"Plan to come with a cash infusion to support yourself for at least six months while you wait for someone to call you about an interview. If you plan to rent you can get a really nice apartment/condo with amenities for a good price."

This is Very Good Advice. Charlotte is in the recession with the rest of this country. You should not move here without resources and/or contacts. Plan to make a transition and keep a positive attitude.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rhchad01 in Frankfort, Kentucky

56 months ago

Are you still looking for a job? You need to take a look at this business opportunity. Fortune Hi Tech Marketing. It is blowing up in North Carolina. They have great leadership. Check out my website www.fhtmus.com/rchadwick. If you have any questions, email me at rhchad01@hotmail.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dingdong in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

56 months ago

Oh, been there, done that......stuck in SC for almost 4 years. Was a paralegal. Could not get a job in Clt to save my soul. It had to do with me being "northern" and a "yankee". My boyfriend had no problems. I agree, look around the area - Fort Mill pays well, I worked in York (yuck), Rock Hill is good, too. Davidson and Lake Norman are hotsy totsy but probably pay okay, too. I went through a few staffing agencies (no luck) and checked out the colleges' websites. Good luck to you. I really mean it! It was the hardest 3.5 years of my life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

chrissy in Charlotte, North Carolina

55 months ago

i differ jay there are jobs its just that their standers are so rediclous that it makes it hard for someone with a few years expirence to get a chance however if you go to some of the most common websites such as jobsnowhiring.com, hotjobs.com, nowhiring incharlotte.com, etc. you will come accross something but till then good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

chrissy in Charlotte, North Carolina

55 months ago

recently ive found that with people you have to take chances, i mean its not like i havent noticed before but now as i get older i realise that when it comes to getting a job it takes a lot of self motivation and by that i mean you cant listen to ecverybody else you have to go with what you know and what will eventully make you happy if you cant be glad to go to work thae you might as well quit and say foreget the bills cause you wont put your all in to it and that gets you only bad results keep trying dont give up believe in your self and mark my words the sun will always shine even in a storm.

Courtney in Waxhaw in Waxhaw, North Carolina

55 months ago

I just moved from GA- BFA interior design, and i havent found a thing- I even went to a place today, wasnt calling or emailing me back, but had a job listing on their website- so I decided to go down to see whats going on- they dont exist anymore,
Oh man- if you could just put the bills on hold until employment finds you again.... its been 6 months since graduating- the "sun" can "start shining" any day now!

Frustrated in Charlotte, North Carolina

54 months ago

I agree...moved here two months now..and there still are no jobs...everywhere managers are saying hundreds are applying for one or two available spots...with all my college degree, qualifications, background...still nothing...still looking but doubt I'll stay here longer than a year if this continues...

bartman in Charlotte, North Carolina

54 months ago

I moved to Noth Carolina 2 years ago and in my feild ( construction) I have discovered alot of work is delegated to minorities via contracts that mandate minorities. Most of the jobs I. have been on have positions filled with immigrants who cannot speak english and carry one or more social security cards Does anybody care that hundreds of legal able bodied english speaking Americans are being taken out of the picture for cheap illegal workers lets figure out and fix this situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beata

54 months ago

I have recently moved to the mooresville area and am looking for an entrance position in customer relations, if you could help I would be grateful...

gloria09m@gmail.com in Charlotte, North Carolina

54 months ago

Contact the America Red Cross on Lake Norman
they have a CSR for November assesments
Good Lock

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Don in Charlotte, North Carolina

54 months ago

Frustrated in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I agree...moved here two months now..and there still are no jobs...everywhere managers are saying hundreds are applying for one or two available spots...with all my college degree, qualifications, background...still nothing...still looking but doubt I'll stay here longer than a year if this continues...

Have you considered using the temp agencies? They tend to pay weekly and can lead to more regular employment. Craigslist for Charlotte also has contacts.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Beata

54 months ago

Hey thanks keep your head up and keep on looking dont give up...
I never do

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sherry in Kannapolis, North Carolina

47 months ago

Nicole in Matthews, North Carolina said: I moved here 9 months ago, have a bachelor's degree in accounting and am working on my master's degree and still haven't found a job. I moved from NY and may have to move back to find a job!

MOVE BACK! I've been about of work since Nov 2008 and just found this crappy job working for $10/hour. I have a BBA in Finance and many years experience in Accounting. I have been in NC for 7 years and have pretty much went through all assets I came with.

Gloria in Raleigh, North Carolina

47 months ago

Don in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Have you considered using the temp agencies? They tend to pay weekly and can lead to more regular employment. Craigslist for Charlotte also has contacts.

Please don't use Craigslist anymore!!, Last month I found many "good jobs" all job#55959 or so-- I send my cover letter, them a company from Florida start sending me "job opportunites" They all have me applied on-line. Now they have all my personal,
profesional/references. And they keep sending e-mails: "Congratulation you were selected as a potential candidate for ...position, bla,bla, bla, and please fill this and that".. It it crazy I got 345!!
Don't get Cragslist on your list.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

sterr in Laurinburg, North Carolina

46 months ago

Hey Dad This Is Shamani And Ronte And Jadan I Just Want To Say I love You And I Miss You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Hey Daddy.

46 months ago

Sup Daddy.

gloria09m@gmail.com in Raleigh, North Carolina

46 months ago

bartman in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I moved to Noth Carolina 2 years ago and in my feild ( construction) I have discovered alot of work is delegated to minorities via contracts that mandate minorities. Most of the jobs I. have been on have positions filled with immigrants who cannot speak english and carry one or more social security cards Does anybody care that hundreds of legal able bodied english speaking Americans are being taken out of the picture for cheap illegal workers lets figure out and fix this situation.

WOW, AHAA MOMENT? I am so glad someone that has expirience in this situation on first hand,can come-out, tell his story as it is!!
thanks. No one seens to undertand this situacion. You sow this 8 months ago, and today 6/17/2010 still a problem and many. many keep sopporting illegals? even politician and law makers What is going on? Dont you feel like we're living in another planet? Illegal is illegal, that means no rights. Yes we do care for the human rights, but not for the illegals breaking them. I came to this country 20 years ago. I went to the "5 years of aceptance period". Got a Permanet Residence Card (they used to called GREENCARD) them waited 5 more years to become a Citizen with a Blue Passport. Paid $7.000/to re-enter the Country. By the Law. Now they wanted to just make them legal becouse they're here? FREE?
Arizona may not be 100% right but we have to start somewhere

North Carolina /CHARLOTTE is one of the cities in USA, that have nothing to say about it. NewsPapers-La Prensa is corrupt, La Noticia is about sales, the "Que pasa Carolina" is affraid to be closed for their opinions. Mr.Juan and Mrs.RADIO LIDER are not liders Mrs.Angeles Ortega (Latino-Coalition in Charlotte) is from San Sanvador and said is not about them, is about Mexicans. Confuse? I am. Again thank you for getting this out there. You sure have "American character" lets go back to our constitution to our founders. Tell Charlotte Worked!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lynetteb5708 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

35 months ago

I will be getting my associates in medical assisting degree in a while and right now I am a certified medical assistant. My family wants to move to North Carolina and I know nothing of the healthcare job market there. Everyone says that there are always healthcare job openings, but these comments are very discouraging... is the job market really that bad? and is healthcare included? I have been in Milwaukee for most of my life and I don't want to make a huge mistake by moving there.

kbmcguire in Wilmington, North Carolina

35 months ago

Yes it is and if you don't have a job before you get here the bottom line is look elsewhere because in Wilmington you never know if you'll have a job or not. Most pay is pretty poor and they want to hire temp so investigate first before you come. One idea may be to rent and if its not something that works for you then at least you have a chance to move out. Once you buy you don't have that chance. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ebony in Pittsford, New York

33 months ago

Charlene in Charlotte, North Carolina said: That is the mentality that is so wrong. If you have lived here twenty years and I have lived here twenty minutes BUT I have the experience for the job then the better candidate should get the position. I have lived in CT, FLA, CO, AZ, CA and now NC and the transplant attitude is ridiculous. Where did you live before Charlotte? At some point you were the new one in town and hoping for an opportunity to make a living.

Also if you re-read your own posting, you SHOULD note that you have not even posted a grammatically correct statement. Hmmmmmm I am assuming we are not even on the same playing field so don't fret I doubt we will ever compete for the same job.

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE WINNER!!!! Well written with every I dotted and T crossed LOVED it!!!! THE IGNORANCE of people sometime(WOW)!!!!!!!!! LOL....EC

Kate Rios in Raleigh, North Carolina

32 months ago

Awesome comment! I just moved to Charlotte from Raleigh. I graduated in December and had no problem finding a job both in Charlotte and Raleigh. It comes down to experience and hard work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Don S in Charlotte, North Carolina

32 months ago

It comes down to many different factors including timing, skills, contacts that make for a hiring event to occur. It's difficult to just say one particultar thing puts you in the winner's circle. If your area of skills and expertise is in a shrinking field, then it makes it more challenging. You really can only speak from your own personal experience. Giving Up is Never the answer though. Food for thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.