What are the best neigborhoods in Charlotte?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Host

Where is the good life? For families? Singles?

Reply - Report abuse

Darlene Perkins in Charlotte, North Carolina

90 months ago

where are the companies and black organizations that help their own people, black women in charlotte. in times of need such as a job, a sister , a brother, a friend,
a place where the is no age discrimination, etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

SpotOn in Charlotte, North Carolina

75 months ago

jj in Federal Way, Washington said: Ok, where are the best neighborhoods in Charlotte. We are planning to move there very soon. Please help. We want to live in Mecklenburg County, they have it seperated by areas. Which would you recommend for good schools, and a safe place to raise children?

If you insist on staying within Meck. County there are alot of folks that are drawn to the South Charlotte area (for example areas 4 or 5, or another example zip code 28277). But Charlotte is a city that is very spread out so it is best to pinpoint where your job will be first (think commute times). You have also received some good information if you wish to look outside the Meck. County lines as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dia in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

HERES MY EMAIL WEAVERDARIA@YAHOO.COM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

peter in Fort Mill, South Carolina

59 months ago

Your best bet is to relocate to upstate SC(Fort Mill or Rock Hill). Mecklenburg County(Charlotte) will eat you alive from high taxes. The job market here is bad and scarce. Best thing to do is get on with a Temp Agency(Manpower). Ballyntyne, Dilworth or even Mint Hill around Charlotte maybe something to look into. Good luck.

sarita388 in Baltimore, Maryland

53 months ago

I'm not striking a gold mine with finding "ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT or PROGRAM ASSISTANT" work in Charolette, NC. I may have to take a pay cut, but the job market is not jumping out at me in this area. Looking for Universities, Colleges, or Federal Government. I know someone that lives in Charolette, but they are working in the DC area. I live in Maryland, nearest Baltimore. HELP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Westcoastbound in Charlotte, North Carolina

53 months ago

Sarita....Jobs are T-I-G-H-T in CLT.....I have a full time job but been looking for part time....When you have to compete for a "part time job"....theres a problem..NC is not the best state to be looking for a job right...the area is saturated with job lookers......Basically too many people....and not enough companies to keep up with the influx of job lookers...Good luck though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marty green in Alpharetta, Georgia

52 months ago

Host said: Where is the good life? For families? Singles?
I live in Atlanta and i am ready to get out of here. I thought the blacks in Georgia were doing so much.Ha ha ha, what a laugh. All i have found since i came here is deceit ripoffs,laws that are not even enforced.Atlanta is a big joke. it's all about self. even if you run into a financial problem and need some assistance,if you are not a member of that church they won't help you.if there is an emergency like seniors lights going off,maybe they weren't aware of what was going on until the last minute. If you go to a place for help, they will put you on a waiting list for six weeks. I am from North Carolina,and i am trying my best to get out of here. I have learned a lot in Georgia,and that is lie's and greed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

The Real Atlanta in Warner Robins, Georgia

48 months ago

This is probably, because you lived in Alpharetta and not Atlanta. I am a black, female born and raised in the real Atlanta(Fulton County), a Grady baby at that. You shouldn't label the whole state of GA, because of your bad experience. My husband was born in NY, but raised in Durham and he will be the first person to tell you the NC has good parts as well as bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tl2burt in Southfield, Michigan

47 months ago

I will graduate with my masters in social work in May and I plan to move to Charlotte in June at the latest July. My question is how is the job market for social workers? I leave in Michigan will it be hard to get interviews if I still have a Michigan number and address? I am in need of some answers thanks so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Charlotte, North Carolina

44 months ago

curiousi T in North Bergen, New Jersey said: im a nurse, moved to NC 1.5 yrs ago.. this place sucks , i live outside charlotte, and they treat nurses like slaves.. also low pay and jobs are scarce.

Lower pay because the cost of living is tremendously lower than NY or New Jersey areas!! Weather is a WHOLE lot nicer too than NY or NJ! That's probably why there are so few of us Charlotte natives, because so many folks from up north moved down here and most of them most enjoy it, because many of them are still here! Jobs are much more scarce everywhere since the turn of the economy, but if you are willing to increase the low statistical rating from 25% of the general US population being a true "A" employee and work extra hard, you might be one of the last people standing when it comes to companies making decisions about who they will lay off next and who they will keep. There are parts of Charlotte that is definitely the pits and certainly not the place I grew up in, but I don't think anyone can say any place is like where they grew up if they are 40 to 80 years old today. South Charlotte is a very nice place to live and if you "work hard", you might get lots of raises and decide you like it here. If you don't get any raise, just be lucky you have a job, it's definitely better than the alternative. There are far too many folks (especially the younger generation) who feels like the world owes them a living, and usually it's because their parents spoiled them rotten and handed them everything on a silver platter, and then when they start working, they feel they should make a million dollars a year and do little work! Good luck in your next venture!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Roland in Ferndale, Washington

43 months ago

Found a good piece of property south of Monroe and moving there in 2 years. Any suggestions on what type of work would be available in Charlotte area for a 58 yr. old man with a massive amount of management exp. in Food Service and Outdoor Recreation? thanks, R.

slim129 in West Babylon, New York

40 months ago

Jim Bound in Indian Trail, North Carolina said: Indian Trail area is very nice and safe. It is in Union County though. But the good thing is the schools are all rated excellent and taxes are low her.

I am moving to Indian Trail in Nov glad to here it is a good area

stand alone in Bellefontaine, Ohio

36 months ago

marty green in Alpharetta, Georgia said: I live in Atlanta and i am ready to get out of here. I thought the blacks in Georgia were doing so much.Ha ha ha, what a laugh. All i have found since i came here is deceit ripoffs,laws that are not even enforced.Atlanta is a big joke. it's all about self. even if you run into a financial problem and need some assistance,if you are not a member of that church they won't help you.if there is an emergency like seniors lights going off,maybe they weren't aware of what was going on until the last minute. If you go to a place for help, they will put you on a waiting list for six weeks. I am from North Carolina,and i am trying my best to get out of here. I have learned a lot in Georgia,and that is lie's and greed!

quite looking for hand outs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

GodsMichael in Charlotte, North Carolina

35 months ago

Darlene Perkins in Charlotte, North Carolina said: where are the companies and black organizations that help their own people, black women in charlotte. in times of need such as a job, a sister , a brother, a friend,

www.google.com/search?q=african+American+organizations+in+Charlotte&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

GodsMichael in Charlotte, North Carolina

35 months ago

Jay B in Cleveland, Ohio

34 months ago

I am considering moving to Charlotte, NC but i wanted to know a safe area to live. I have a 15 year old son and I want him in a safe area. I am a black women so I also want an area with minimal racism, but somewhat diverse with a great school system...any suggestions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lielite in charlotte, North Carolina

27 months ago

lielite in Newark, New Jersey said: NURSING (LPN RN) WAGES AND CONDITIONS IN NORTH CAROLINA ARE PATHETIIIICC!!!! TRY $14.-17. AN HOUR..WTF??!!

I agree with you on that one Wages Suck in NC; not matter what kind of degree you have they're not going to pay a descent salary. Often time you will find the people who are paid by the hour make the most money in the long run. I'd like to find a job paying at least $16 at this time. Most people here make under poverty level income which is about $31,000.00 per year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Charlotte, North Carolina

12 months ago

lielite in charlotte, North Carolina said: lielite in Newark, New Jersey said: NURSING (LPN RN) WAGES AND CONDITIONS IN NORTH CAROLINA ARE PATHETIIIICC!!!! TRY $14.-17. AN HOUR..WTF??!!

I agree with you on that one Wages Suck in NC; not matter what kind of degree you have they're not going to pay a descent salary. Often time you will find the people who are paid by the hour make the most money in the long run. I'd like to find a job paying at least $16 at this time. Most people here make under poverty level income which is about $31,000.00 per year.

Also.. its not that the wages suck.. the cost of living is much different. Watched HGTV lately? $500,00 for instance will get you a "whole lotta home" in NC.. versus somewhere like NY where you'd probably be shoulder to shoulder with your neighbors.

in a gost, trying to base a complete circumstance and compare one state to another which is far far away is like apples and oranges. Even in SC things get a little cheaper than its Carolina neighbor..NC.

Tim in Charlotte, North Carolina

12 months ago

Jay B in Cleveland, Ohio said: I am considering moving to Charlotte, NC but i wanted to know a safe area to live. I have a 15 year old son and I want him in a safe area. I am a black women so I also want an area with minimal racism, but somewhat diverse with a great school system...any suggestions

Racism obviously depends on the people.. and unless one knows everyone in the neighborhood, that's a little tough to answer. The fact that you're moving to Charlotte and not some itty bitty town 70 miles away from charlotte deep off in the woods is a good start :)

I'd recommend South Charlotte.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anon in Charlotte, North Carolina

12 months ago

Darlene Perkins in Charlotte, North Carolina said: where are the companies and black organizations that help their own people, black women in charlotte. in times of need such as a job, a sister , a brother, a friend,

Not sure if you're interested still, but using there's a great group of people you can find at www.CharlotteExecs.com
They are welcoming and not the cliquish type. They also stress being drama-free.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.