expungement

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

don ware

60 months ago

Hi, I have one felony record from 32 years ago at the age of 18. I am now 50 and my past continues to haunt me. I have applied for several positions and have been turned down after I exposed my past history. I have a BS degree from Rutgers University in NJ and a Graduate Certificate from Seton Hall University in NJ. I am also Licensed as a Nursing Home Administrator in both NJ and NC. I have recently applied for several positions but once I came forward with my past I was turned down. Is there anything I can do to get my record expunged? I would appreciate help from anyone willing to help me. Thanks, Donald Ware

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Huntersville, North Carolina

59 months ago

Most places only ask about felony convictions in the past 7 years and even then, they can only legally deny employment if the offense is related to the position in question. As an example, if a person were to have a conviction for stealing company funds, an employer could deny or rescind an offer for a role directly involved with cash operations or an accounting function. Without knowing the particulars of your situation, my advice would be to not volunteer a 32 year old conviction unless specifically asked about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tracyj in Maricopa, Arizona

59 months ago

I have a felony conviction from over 7 years ago. We recently relocated and now in the "big city" I can not find a job. "Legally deny employment"? Try the fact that NO ONE will call you, ever!
I have contacted the court where I was convicted and they are sending me the needed paperwork to fill out and petition these records to be expunged.
Even though this was over 7 years ago and it was not for any type of crime that matters to employers (felony DUI; now sober over 7 years) YES they still care; and it will bar you from employment. Contact the court where you committed the offense see what they can do for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sister-in-Christ in Huntersville, North Carolina

51 months ago

don ware said: Hi, I have one felony record from 32 years ago at the age of 18. I am now 50 and my past continues to haunt me. I have applied for several positions and have been turned down after I exposed my past history. I have a BS degree from Rutgers University in NJ and a Graduate Certificate from Seton Hall University in NJ. I am also Licensed as a Nursing Home Administrator in both NJ and NC. I have recently applied for several positions but once I came forward with my past I was turned down. Is there anything I can do to get my record expunged? I would appreciate help from anyone willing to help me. Thanks, Donald Ware

Hi, Don:
Giving God all glory and praise, I greet you in the Name of His Majestic Son, Jesus the Christ. I'm near Charlotte and being over 55, I've been forced to seek a different career path. Though I do not have a background of felony or any other convictions, I haven't been able to find work in 2 years and I'm convinced it's because I'm 58. So, I went to our regional Job Link Services recently to sign up with the Workforce Investment Act ("WIA") to return to school and learned of a program (probably in several states) entitled "Second Chance." Perhaps, if you called the Job Link office in this NC region (Charlotte, Matthews), they might to lead you in the right direction for that opportunity: Second Chance - Monroe/Matthew, NC Job Link Center.

Be blessed and walk in God's anointing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Theressa in Charlotte, North Carolina

51 months ago

Hello Don,
I suggest you go to your Criminal Court link there in your County. There Should be a place that you can gain all the info you need on expungements. You can download the forms you need from the site or go into the County Office & pick up a packet. It shouldn't be a problem to do since it was so many years ago. You will also need a few personal reference letters. It will then be submitted to a Judge for approval/denial. If you do it yourself, it is free but there are a lot of Attorneys that will charge a nominal fee of $50-$100 to do it for you. Don't waste all that knowledge...give it a shot! Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

candy in Indianapolis, Indiana

51 months ago

don ware said: Hi, I have one felony record from 32 years ago at the age of 18. I am now 50 and my past continues to haunt me. I have applied for several positions and have been turned down after I exposed my past history. I have a BS degree from Rutgers University in NJ and a Graduate Certificate from Seton Hall University in NJ. I am also Licensed as a Nursing Home Administrator in both NJ and NC. I have recently applied for several positions but once I came forward with my past I was turned down. Is there anything I can do to get my record expunged? I would appreciate help from anyone willing to help me. Thanks, Donald Ware

hey don you need toseek out texas they are very lenient and indiannapolis indiana my felony is 6 years old im getting no issues good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

heather in Matthews, North Carolina

50 months ago

Theressa in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Hello Don,
I suggest you go to your Criminal Court link there in your County. There Should be a place that you can gain all the info you need on expungements. You can download the forms you need from the site or go into the County Office & pick up a packet. It shouldn't be a problem to do since it was so many years ago. You will also need a few personal reference letters. It will then be submitted to a Judge for approval/denial. If you do it yourself, it is free but there are a lot of Attorneys that will charge a nominal fee of $50-$100 to do it for you. Don't waste all that knowledge...give it a shot! Good Luck!

Do you have any contact information for the attorneys that charge just a nominal fee as you described. I'm looking to have an expungement done, but I've heard of prices >$500 for this service. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. I'd hate to pay so much more for the same service if I don't have to. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.