need work in Charlotte?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

sully in Casar, North Carolina

68 months ago

Welcome to Charlotte and the south.Now GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

cynj in Clover, South Carolina

68 months ago

Too much coffee this morning???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sully in Vale, North Carolina

68 months ago

No,just a overdose of reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Tampa, Florida

68 months ago

Oh, thank you for the laugh. As an umeployed, well educated failure in Tampa, Florida, I needed it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sully in Vale, North Carolina

68 months ago

It really is a laughable situation.Everyone has different ways of venting.Ya cant kick the dog everytime something goes wrong.Have a great Thanksgiving Mary in Tampa.The fact is this is STILL the greatest country in the world or everyone wouldnt be trying to get here.And I also fit in your situation of well educated and unemployed.Failure just sounds so final.Gotta keep trying!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kurt in Mooresville, North Carolina in Gurdon, Arkansas

67 months ago

sully in Casar, North Carolina said: Welcome to Charlotte and the south.Now GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM!!

If you are referring to the northerners (Yankees) That have moved to the south, I think you should think again. If you wish us to go back to where we came from and take everything we brought with us your life will a bit rough. Your cars, truck, and other things you enjoy shoot football and basket ball are all things that were either found, invented or built in the north. You need to look at the government for you troubles. They are the ones that are causing a lot of companies to out source to other counties. With people loosing jobs they don't have the money to spend on other things that can not be outsource like landscaping, dining out, and local built products. Without the money going to the companies they are forced to find employees that are willing to work for less or move the company to a location that is cheaper to operate (another country). Those are the reasons that most of the Latinos are moving legally and illegally to the US. Their countries are so poor that we appear to be rich to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

67 months ago

Hey, Bud - don't get so serious.

She meant they have a job shortage in Charlotte also, and people are coming from other states, and now the "natives" are having to compete with the "non-tax-paying outsiders" for what few jobs there are. I agree.

With someone with teaching certification in Hillsborough (Tampa) Florida, I was livid when I went to Teacher Interview Day - and realized I was competing with people coming from out of state. I have lived here for 25 years. I have paid taxes here for 25 years. I have paid property taxes here for 20 years. And I had to compete with outsiders (who have not paid taxes here) for a job I expected to get. I did not get a job. I suspect one of those outsiders who has been teaching for a few years got one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sully in Casar, North Carolina

67 months ago

Thanks Mary in Tampa.Kurt sounds a little stressed.I"m just saying for everyone relocating here that"s another person needing a job unless you have made your fortune and ready to kick back.When thousands of jobs are created they do not go far if thousands of job hunters are moving in just as fast.And you left out another thing brought from up north,lack of common manners and respect.But thanks for the cars and trucks,you guys have sure managed that business well!(LOL!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

67 months ago

But thanks for the cars and trucks,you guys have sure managed that business well!(LOL!)

Well, THAT sure is changing. Maybe now with the greedy union having to downsize, maybe some of our American jobs that had wages too high to afford and were taken overseas, will be brought back to the United States with lower wages, and we will have more jobs.

Hey, Kurt, if that happens, those jobs can go back to the north (the factories are already there) - and you won't have to relocate - and there will be more jobs for us here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kurt in Mooresville, North Carolina in Spring Hope, North Carolina

67 months ago

sully in Casar, North Carolina said: Welcome to Charlotte and the south.Now GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM!!

Sorry if I came across to serious. But I now live in North Caroline and have for over 30 years. I'm happily married to a sweet lady who was born about 30 mile from my house and I love the small town feeling. Funny thing is there are more people for out of state here then there are "native" so I really know what you are talking about. I guess the reason I came across so strongly is that I've been unemployed, and job hunting for 5 months and just got turned down for my umteenth time. So once again I'm sorry for seeming so upset.

Sincerely,
Kurt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sully in Bostic, North Carolina

67 months ago

Same job hunting story here Kurt.Its frustrating for sure.I lost a 42k job 2 yrs ago.Been looking ever since.My job of over 7 yrs was cut and the work was spread out between subcontractors.Most Hispanic with no benefits and some illegal for sure.I know Ill never find something paying my previous salary right now but with a wife and 3 kids needing insurance Ill take anything.Right now most places dont offer that,much less benefits.I have been to every job fair,on line,you name it.Out of hundreds of applications I have got TWO interviews and no job.Hang in there,keep trying like I am.Something has got to give sooner or later.

sully in Ellenboro, North Carolina

66 months ago

another fine example!No respect,no class,loser!!What a great addition to what was once a great place to live and work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

I understand totally.My father was selfemployed in the floorcovering business.I learned as a kid and always had the skills to do it full time or as a second job.The only problem was no one knew that 1000s of hispanics were going to come here and work for wages we were making in the 70"s.3 yrs ago I lost a job averageing around $49,000.00 a year while the work went to OTHER subcontractors.You guessed it.One person getting paid by the builder and 15 workers getting paid cash every friday.No F.I.C.A. deductions,no S.S.I.deductions.The blame goes both to the american builder and the person who chooses the workers based only on price.Well its caught up with everyone now.No one wants to talk about all the money going out of country by these workers because its not politically correct.It is a lose-lose situation for the honest man.But show up at the emergency room and see if you can leave scotch free and not get hounded the rest of your life to pay.We didnt get to this overnight and god help us all cause I havent heard anything from the so-called leaders of either party addressing the REAL problems.Buenos dias!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

thats right in Rolla, Missouri

66 months ago

its like the goverment is turnin there head.ive seen it to man,one 15 others.i tell ya,even if you call immagration,it does no good cause they will be right back.2yrs ago i made $35.ooo , the year before that $42.000 and this year $13.150,its a wonder me and my fam survived.thats when i started doin things on my own(side work).i get these older peolpe who know whats goin on,and they would rather hire me than immagrants.thank the good lord for that.i went to apply for food stamps when my work stop(i was nervous, didnt know what was gonna happen and i got to take care of my sons by any mean)and i got denied,they said i made to much,i said yea shows u can add.this is how it is,if IF YOUR WHITE, YOU GOT NO RIGHT.thats gonna be a bumper sticker i make up,haha.but it is the truth.but any waysthanks for the reply and your right,it suck tring to make an honest livin and im not talkin about the work and labor.take care freind

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

And dont think all you degree carrying intellectuals are untouchable.I had trouble with my AT@T DSL connection and was connected to someone in Honduras to correct the problem.So over half this country bought in to all this HOPE,CHANGE, empty promises from a guy whose only previous experience was as a "Community Organizer"and in 3 weeks he has led our country in the biggest spending spree Washington has ever seen!And the guys who mishandled Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac are the ones put in charge of the witch hunt against the banks!!Yep,I can see the hope alright.Hope we arent ALL out of work and the Change might be learning to speak Chinese!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kurt in Mooresville, North Carolina in Southern Pines, North Carolina

66 months ago

Its ok man we are all in the same boat as far as the job situation basically. Time are tough and we seem to vent in the wrong direction from time to time so don't worry as you can see I did the same thing and I asked for forgiveness too. I just pray things will turn around and we all will be working soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Shelby, North Carolina

65 months ago

sully in Vale, North Carolina said: It really is a laughable situation.Everyone has different ways of venting.Ya cant kick the dog everytime something goes wrong.Have a great Thanksgiving Mary in Tampa.The fact is this is STILL the greatest country in the world or everyone wouldnt be trying to get here.And I also fit in your situation of well educated and unemployed.Failure just sounds so final.Gotta keep trying!

I agree

leroy in Elgin, Illinois

65 months ago

sully in Ellenboro, North Carolina said: And dont think all you degree carrying intellectuals are untouchable.I had trouble with my AT@T DSL connection and was connected to someone in Honduras to correct the problem.So over half this country bought in to all this HOPE,CHANGE, empty promises from a guy whose only previous experience was as a "Community Organizer"and in 3 weeks he has led our country in the biggest spending spree Washington has ever seen!And the guys who mishandled Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac are the ones put in charge of the witch hunt against the banks!!Yep,I can see the hope alright.Hope we arent ALL out of work and the Change might be learning to speak Chinese!!

you're racist. even though it's the good old boys running the show remember be intelligent. one person doesn't make policy. It takes congree and the senate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sully in Forest City, North Carolina

65 months ago

How can someone read my comment and consider me a racist?And as for the "one person doesent make policy"statement,its funny how the media seemed to lay everything at the feet of George Bush while the Dems. controlled congress!The racist card is a cop-out Leroy.Look at the numbers and facts.Were all in this together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Inspired in Charlotte, North Carolina

64 months ago

To Rolla (Missouri) sorry you feel the way you do. I can't agree with you on this one. If you're White you have no rights. All of us have rights, rights to be respected, rights to say what you want to of course respect along with it. I am not saying your response was disrectful I just don't agree, nevertheless, no matter what the economy is, having the right to have faith in your future is up to you. Yes, it seems as though a lot is unfair, most of us have to have alternative methods in making ends meet. We have to do within reason whatever it takes to survive. The current President didn't get us into this jammed up situation it was already there. Seriously, think about it. As it stands because the issues were already before us more issues have come to the forefront, deception-lying, cheating, disrespt-disregard for others in every unimaginable way has now surfaced. The one thing I have learned is that it doesn't matter really what our view is on who created the problems for the U.S. and their affects/effects in the lives of us all we have to do our part in securing what we can for survival. We have to make things happen as you see it will not be given to you. We all have to utilize our time and talents to develop other means of being responsible for our families and at the same time maintaining dignity. Like is interesting and challenging which makes it all worth living, hang in there everyone and make your life an enjoyable one. Enjoy yourself, friends, your pets or whatever you have before you to just make the most out of being happy. Never be conent where you are in life, always strive -- get that extra boost of energy to send out resumes, take a walk, make phone calls, email companies, have an ice cream cone, a cup of coffe, read your bible, take your kids to the park, play inside games with grands, study history of U.S. anything to keep yourself from being depressed and frustrated over these life challenges, be happy and honored to be in this day. Love life!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Inspired in Charlotte, North Carolina

64 months ago

That is "disrespectul" before someone corrects me I'll correct myself. Also "life" is interesting. "Content"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

down-and-out-and-back-again in Park Forest, Illinois

57 months ago

After reading all the back and forth's on this subject, I have only one question: What does this have to do with gaining employment? Most of you can't spell or construct a decent sentence, and your views of the world, while they may hold merit to you, are somewhat simplistic in their tone. I have been self employed for over 7 years after my position was eliminated and the secret is to sell yourself. not everyone buys on price. but the problems occur when we do not want to give the effort for the money we expect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Secured work in Saint Pauls, North Carolina

57 months ago

You Have made a very good point. I have put forth a lot of effort in my job searching, to the point of changing careers. I've gone from working in landscaping to working as a security guard, its been a great change for me and my family. I looked into the self employment idea but just could not afford the output to get started due to the prior jobs barely paying enough to pay bills. An old Navy friend was the one who pointed out I had more going for me then what I was thinking. By opening my mind to new things, I have a job now that is not back breaking, making more money and better hours.

I hope more people will look into other things they may be qualified for due to their experience. Sometimes even the smallest thing in our past can open up far greater avenues then the road we are presently traveling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Acram Guermat in Casablanca, Morocco

56 months ago

im from Morocco i need Jod i will be there in next years 5/1/2010
i hope u answer me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Andy

56 months ago

I don't understand how Kurt can still use the term "Yankees". Are you kidding me? Dude the Civil War ended over 144 years ago. If you haven't progressed since then, that would explain why you can't get a job. Bottom line, the people that are getting hired are simply better qualified then you OR they present themselves better. I suspect both are true from the comments you made on this board. Also on one of your other entries you say you moved here over 30 years ago. So you are not a native of NC my friend. At one time you were from out of the area. Keep that in mind when you're high on your soap box acting like this is "your state". And who really gives if you're new to the state or not. What small minded thinking. My guess is you are threatened by their skills and ability. If you were confident in yourself you wouldn't feel inferior to other people "taking YOUR" job.

Hey, times are tough for everyone…even the Mexican American (which BTW, are not all illegal.) I just hope people stop pointing fingers and start looking at what they can do to better their lives. It's always easier to blame it on someone else instead of taking ownership of your own life. My advice, stop blaming everyone else for your failings and start working on yourself. I guarantee you'll be much happier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Secured work in Matthews, North Carolina

56 months ago

This is Kurt again, I know the Civil War has been long over with. I just use the term loosely due to the fact that I am from Wis. and even my wife who was born and raised in the Statesville area, still refers to me as a "Yankee". I wish know harm in the use of the term. As far as my Job search I have found work and continue to pray that other will find work as well. I know things are difficult and hope more jobs will become available in the near future. Is there some way we as Americans can find work for those who lost jobs due to mills and factories shutting down, and the work outsourced to other counties?

At the time I wrote my first reply to this site I was upset due to all the jobs I thought I was qualified for being outsourced. I had my eyes opened to my mistake and anger and have apologized for my words. I have also found work in a completely different occupational area, since I had the ability to go back to school. Again I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my original words, and continue to hope that we can all be working again in the near future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carol F. in Cornelius, North Carolina

25 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Hey, Bud - don't get so serious.

She meant they have a job shortage in Charlotte also, and people are coming from other states, and now the "natives" are having to compete with the "non-tax-paying outsiders" for what few jobs there are. I agree.

With someone with teaching certification in Hillsborough (Tampa) Florida, I was livid when I went to Teacher Interview Day - and realized I was competing with people coming from out of state. I have lived here for 25 years. I have paid taxes here for 25 years. I have paid property taxes here for 20 years. And I had to compete with outsiders (who have not paid taxes here) for a job I expected to get. I did not get a job. I suspect one of those outsiders who has been teaching for a few years got one.

Yes, I agree. I don't understand why people are moving here STILL and they come without a job given the unemployment #s here in Charlotte area and all of NC. It just makes matters worse for everyone here in Charlotte area. I have lived here 22 years and back then there were more jobs than people. I am unemployed and can't get any calls for a job. I have to compete with newcomers, but it really isn't competition that they bring, it's their "NEW-NESS" That's all. I am well qualified for all positions I apply for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.