wanting to relocate to North Carolina

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 392)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

MistyStar in Winston Salem, North Carolina

54 months ago

Good morning everyone! I currently live in Winston-Salem, NC and want to relocate to Charlotte, NC. Looking to work in the Social Services field. I am completing my Associates Degree and will start my Bachelors in Human Services.
How is the job market for Human Services workers in Charlotte? Thanks in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

digrdo in Yucaipa, California

54 months ago

danpreston in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I moved down here a few years ago. I found that I was welcomed with open arms. Let me know if you need any info on the area.

I am looking to relocate to S.C. and work in N.C. Living in CA, taxes are high here and job market very weak. I have many diverse skills, am looking for any info you can provide. Please send email to this address with information.

Thank you
Depressed in CA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KROGER770 in Charleston, West Virginia

54 months ago

Hello im intersted moving to winston salem triad area And wondering how the economy is there is the job market picking up Will i have medical office insurance claims and strong customer srvice background I would like to find something in that fields but i have verstile skills So any feedback would be helpful Thank you Carolyn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rob.grant in Danbury, Connecticut

54 months ago

Hey All looking to relocate to NC very soon. You guys are right, without a in state address it is very hard to get a call back. Im a photojournalist here in NYC for the past years with a degree in communications. Just got a E mail back from FOX in Charlotte with them Knowing In in NYC. Also i declined a job in Virginia because they was paying pennies!. Don't give up guys we all will find something!

lielite in Newark, New Jersey

53 months ago

Sherry in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Thank you for your comment because some people want you to believe that the only way to move to Charlotte NC you have to get a banking job. I for one want to move to Charlotte myself and I am hoping the job I have I can relocate. Since I will be going to school for Culinary Art I can find a job in that field. Plus I heard they have a good school there for Culinary Art. Even though, I will be going to a community college. Once again thank you

NURSING (LPN RN) WAGES AND CONDITIONS IN NORTH CAROLINA ARE PATHETIIIICC!!!! TRY $14.-17. AN HOUR..WTF??!!

lielite in Newark, New Jersey

53 months ago

Sherrise Clark-Weston in Durham, North Carolina said: I relocated to Huntersville, NC in 08'. Transferred with the company. My job history has enabled me to find a beautiful apt. online that I secured, before I arrived. Since then, my employment ended, gotted divorced (without alimony/child support, because he has the kids) and basically homeless, all withing a yr of me moving there. I've said all to say, that although, it is a beautiful place to live, it is difficult to find employment. I revise my resume often and ask around and still nothing. I went to the Raleigh/Durham area for a while and what they offer there, are engineering jobs and anything pertaining to the medical field. I know first hand that they have a major freeze in the hospitals, eventhough, they post jobs (I know people that work in the hospital's). It is very difficult and actually had to move back in with my ex!

Please do your homework and research the areas, with a fine tooth comb. What joy is it, if you're not able to care for yourself??? I even considered leaving (relocating), due to this. Of course, my experience is not your own. All that I ask is,"do your research!"

NURSING (LPN RN) WAGES AND CONDITIONS IN NORTH CAROLINA ARE PATHETIIIICC!!!! TRY $14.-17. AN HOUR..WTF??!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Californiagirl in Fresno, California

53 months ago

Everyone has such good responses! This is great help. I will be graduating from college in May and is considering moving to the East Coast. North Carolina is a beautiful place. I was just there for vacation during the winter. Too bad it wasn't the fall though.

I am looking at the Charlotte area to relocate to because I wish to attend UNCC for graduate school. However, I keep getting more positive reviews regarding the Raleigh and Chapel Hill area. I understand that CLT has a high tax rate but the program that I want to attend at UNCC is the best I have in mind right now.

I have family in CLT and the Burke County area so I want to stay as close as I can with them, considering it will be my first time away from home. I am from the central valley and California and it is so different from North Carolina!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Spot On in Fort Mill, South Carolina

53 months ago

Please folks do yourself a favor and don't move her unless you have a job. While Charlotte is a great place to live it is not perfect. One such problem is the amount of jobs versus all the people that have moved here, and/or in the process of moving here. We all like to think that we will stand out in the crowd of resumes (if you don't believe that go back and read the last 4 pages and you will see that for yourself). I know this is not what you want to hear but I don't want to mislead you like the realtors on this website do.

Just a few Tips:
-If you know someone here (that you trust) get a Po Box so you will have a NC address (have the person you know pick your mail up), same applies for cell phones (get a 704 area code)
-Check out the local papers in the area for employment (even the smaller local weekly papers)
-Check out city/county websites (again even check out the smaller town/city websites)
-Have money saved up if you insist on moving here without a job (rent and groceries are not all that cheap here)
-If you are coming from areas like CA, or NY, be prepared that you will not make the amount of money that you were making before
-There is not as much government assistance as some other areas so be prepared
-NC/SC are Right to Work States (also you won't find many unions around here)
-If you do find work spend your money wisely as it is not uncommon for jobs to try up after a short period of time
-Lastly if you do feel the need to move - MOVE SMART

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dulcie in Hope Mills, North Carolina

53 months ago

Tamika Bryant in Spartanburg, South Carolina said: HI I'M FROM NC I'VE BEEN HERE IN SC FOR 3 YEARS. BUT NC IS PRETTY COOL SOMETIMES I CONSIDER GOING BACK. THE BEST PLACE WOULD BE CHAROLETTE OR WILIMINGTON WOULDN'T CONSIDER RALEIGH DURHAM AREA THAT'S WHERE I'M FROM BASICALLY. BUT THE 2 CITIES LISTED ABOVE LOOK INTO THEY ARE PRETTY COOL

I've lived in the Raleigh/Durham area for about 12-13years now. in 2008 eight I lost a job. Had to start over again. Stayed in the area for another 3 yrs. with off and on assignments. Also recovered from a nasty divorce...do not know how much more I can take. I now live in two different places, to make ends meet. My job is in Morrisville, NC, but I sleep in another area. Hopefully, my life will turn around soon to get a house in Raleigh/Durham soon. The job instability is the only hold.

I also know people who have moved to SC, they say the cost of living is cheaper, but along with cheaper you start living around poverty and more crime.

I really do not know where the best place to live is anymore. I know Durham is turning around; not a bad place like in the past; you should check it out sometimes. Lots of jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kenny in Hillsborough, New Jersey

52 months ago

danpreston in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Dean & Joyce
I agree that it is better to find someone that will let you use their address to find a job. I am in the same boat. qualify for many jobs but employers are not willing to relocate or take the chance. I am not looking for relocation package but either contract or permanent to at least get something before packing my things and heading there. Any advice on how to get a job before moving down to NC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dulciecarter in Morrisville, North Carolina

52 months ago

To relocate to NC from Jersey; I'd find the job online first, then interview and relocate. Also, there are several companies willing to pay an employee for relocating. Try it, do not give up!

52 months ago

kenny in Hillsborough, New Jersey said:

Find the job first, give notice to your old job. Check to see if there is a relocation package, there are a few companies left who will pay for the move. I've notice companies who are now require people sign a contract to look you in, so there are Jobs in NC get the interview, land the job, and move. Good Luck!

52 months ago

lielite in Newark, New Jersey said: NURSING (LPN RN) WAGES AND CONDITIONS IN NORTH CAROLINA ARE PATHETIIIICC!!!! TRY $14.-17. AN HOUR..WTF??!!

I agree with you on that one Wages Suck in NC; not matter what kind of degree you have they're not going to pay a descent salary. Often time you will find the people who are paid by the hour make the most money in the long run. I'd like to find a job paying at least $16 at this time. Most people here make under poverty level income which is about $31,000.00 per year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rene Looking For A Change in Bronx, New York

50 months ago

I am seeking to relocate to Charlotte from New York City. The cost of living in NYC is extremely too much not to mention the "rat race" and ready to start a new chapter in my life. With a BA in Business Administration/Marketing and experience within the Sports, Media, and Entertainment industry, will I have a hard time finding a job? I am open to bringing my expertise to other industries. Can anyone provide any job leads or contacts? Would like to relocate with a job offer. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rene Looking For A Change in Bronx, New York

50 months ago

I am seeking to relocate to Charlotte from New York City. The cost of living in NYC is extremely too much not to mention the "rat race" and ready to start a new chapter in my life. With a BA in Business Administration/Marketing and experience within the Sports, Media, and Entertainment industry, will I have a hard time finding a job? I am open to bringing my expertise to other industries. Can anyone provide any job leads or contacts? Would like to relocate with a job offer. Thank you!

Relocating from NY to NC in Mount Vernon, New York

50 months ago

I need some help. My fiancee just receieved a job offer from his old job in NC. I am all for moving. I have never moved out of state and recently have gone back to school to change career towards Human resources. Our target date is for Ocober 1st. The problem is that when looking for an apt i cant include him becase of his housing history which is tarnished. it would be so much easier if we could use his job offer to secure us a place and i move out there and look for a job. But now the plan has to be that i find a job and apply for the apt. its stressful to me because im afraid no one will hire me since the only experience i have is working as an assistant teacher for the past 5 years which i dont want to get myself into again.
Are there any agencies out there that will work with me to get situated job wise? I have the computer and communication skills to work in an office setting i just dont know what else the job entails.

what positions should i be lookin into Bank teller? Clerk? Clerical?
Every position seems to want 1-3years experience. I have been in the same location and job for the past 5 years so moving locations and jobs is like a newly divorced woman going back into the dating scene. Im TERRIFIED!

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME LIKE A CHECKLIST OR TELL ME IF THE FOLLOWING IS CORRECT?

1. Write to my landord to break the lease by Ocober(my lease ends April 31 2013)
2. July tell my current employer i will be leaving no later than October
3. In the month of ________ start talkin to landlords in NC
4. In the month of _________ buy a used car in NC
3. Late august start sending out my resume to employers & agencies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Tee in New Rochelle, New York said: Hello,

I my family and I are looking to relocate to Charlotte, In the next 4 months We live in NY and My husband lost his job at NYU almost a year ago.. He's an IT tech ... Its been very hard for him to find anything here ... it just sucks .. However he's been getting calls from Charlotte left and right ... So we are hoping this is going to be a good move ... My sister brought a house out there 3 yrs ago and she loves it .. We dont have the greatest credit but we are working on it... Anyone else Made a move from NY (Westchester county) to Charlotte? Any advice ?

Im doing the big move now. hoping this early start wont be too stressful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

relocating from NY in Mount Vernon, New York

50 months ago

Dulcie Carter in Morrisville, North Carolina said: I agree with you on that one Wages Suck in NC; not matter what kind of degree you have they're not going to pay a descent salary. Often time you will find the people who are paid by the hour make the most money in the long run. I'd like to find a job paying at least $16 at this time. Most people here make under poverty level income which is about $31,000.00 per year.

The cost of living is way more decent than NY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

danpreston in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Dean & Joyce

I need some help. My fiancee just receieved a job offer from his old job in NC. I am all for moving. I have never moved out of state and recently have gone back to school to change career towards Human resources. Our target date is for Ocober 1st. The problem is that when looking for an apt i cant include him becase of his housing history which is tarnished. it would be so much easier if we could use his job offer to secure us a place and i move out there and look for a job. But now the plan has to be that i find a job and apply for the apt. its stressful to me because im afraid no one will hire me since the only experience i have is working as an assistant teacher for the past 5 years which i dont want to get myself into again.
Are there any agencies out there that will work with me to get situated job wise? I have the computer and communication skills to work in an office setting i just dont know what else the job entails.

what positions should i be lookin into Bank teller? Clerk? Clerical?
Every position seems to want 1-3years experience. I have been in the same location and job for the past 5 years so moving locations and jobs is like a newly divorced woman going back into the dating scene. Im TERRIFIED!

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME LIKE A CHECKLIST OR TELL ME IF THE FOLLOWING IS CORRECT?

1. Write to my landord to break the lease by Ocober(my lease ends April 31 2013)
2. July tell my current employer i will be leaving no later than October
3. In the month of ________ start talkin to landlords in NC
4. In the month of _________ buy a used car in NC
3. Late august start sending out my resume to employers & agencies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Tee in New Rochelle, New York said: Hello,

I my family and I are looking to relocate to Charlotte, In the next 4 months We live in NY and My husband lost his job at NYU almost a year ago.. He's an IT tech ... Its been very hard for him to find anything here ... it just sucks .. However he's been getting calls from Charlotte left and right ... So we are hoping this is going to be a good move ... My sister brought a house out there 3 yrs ago and she loves it .. We dont have the greatest credit but we are working on it... Anyone else Made a move from NY (Westchester county) to Charlotte? Any advice ?

Hey please tell me how things went for you. Im in your situation now

missgeorgia in Cranston, Rhode Island

50 months ago

Hi all, I am wanting to relocate to Charlotte and may be open to other areas in NC, but I need to secure employment first. Any ideas on how do I go about this, besides the usual online searches? Thanks for any help you can give.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

robertsjr2000 in Denver, North Carolina

50 months ago

Check out the Lake Norman area north of Charlotte about 45 min. Lots of Charlotte based execs live up here, nice to live and work and play at the same place.

tom h in Charlotte, North Carolina

50 months ago

You should develop and implement a search plan that will include online, recruiters, staffing, networking, direct contacts, etc. Begin with a realistic self-assessment and focus on what value you can bring to what types of companies. Conduct your market research, stay on track and don't get discouraged. Realize that you currently residing in Rhode Island does not work in your favor.

Good luck!

newenglander7169 in West Warwick, Rhode Island

48 months ago

Well, for anyone considering relocating to the Raleigh area in the HVAC business from the northeast, BEWARE! I was lookign to move down that way for warmer climates, cost of living and better quality of life, so dont judge a place based on visiting, once you are there, watch out! Got lured corresponding back and forth with a firm and took a leave of absence from a northeast firm to test the waters in event matters didnt work out. Glad I did because I was promised a salary and position in project management running commercial projects only to be paid $13/hr less than promised and doing manual labor working harder for less and had prejudices from coworkers undermining my competance and saying I was too forward and aggressive. Not a pleasant experience and walked away from that firm and back up 95 I went back to previous employer. Sad thing my girlfriend works in medical profession and has found great acceptance and reward despite 30% pay reduction and wanst mislead and humiliated like I was. Not sure what will arise for our future hopping planes back and forth due to no median for both of us to be there. Tried a few other companies while at NC firm knowing I was unhappy, and got no responses or being told overqualified or not willing to compensate my worth. Im not alone as many others only live there and keep employment where jobs pay and in my industry, not there. Sterotypical is natives thinking northerners are cash rich and have money to burn, yet severe economic clashes out of jealousy living in substandard areas meaning natives a northerner would never consider like double wides, trailers, etc. Also, inadequate labor laws and no governance over contractors soliciting services, taking peoples money holding no licenses and or insurance, let alone NC tax ID numbers and one has to fear of death thru a lawyer to get whats theres. Being honest so all keep that in mind, Im living proof

bluemoore in Wilmington, North Carolina

48 months ago

selene sosa in Apex, North Carolina said: what if you had a kid and it died and you wanted to get a getaway. dont you think you will remeber about you child who is not wiith you.....a pet does not take the love for kids..!

You're a frickin idiot!Were you not taught to think before you speak?..type?...I have always had pets and no kids.....but only because I cannot have children for medical reasons....how insenistive!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lielite in charlotte, North Carolina

47 months ago

NC IS WAYYYY OVERRATED!! BETTER TO MOVE OUT WEST- COLORADO, LAS VEGAS, ETC!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stressed in Charlotte, North Carolina

46 months ago

DO NOT move to NC, I moved down here from NYC and can't wait to go back, it is hard to find a good paying job here. It is so boring in here, and the food sucks. There are no places to go, you either go to the mall or the parks, that's it! There are not good restaurants just a bunch of junk food restaurants. People here are very racists. Almost everybody here owns a gun. So my advise is run from NC, look elsewhere or stay where you are, like somebody said, NC is overrated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

hffkat@*****.*** in Wilmington, North Carolina

46 months ago

Stay away from Leland and parts of Wilmington. The natives are very hatred towards people from up north and the civil war is still going on here proud and true. Jobs are a joke and the unemployment figure is close to 10%. You can get a job if you want to work for $7.25 an hour but try to support a family and forget about it. YOu need to work 2 jobs just to get ahead. My advice would be to find another place to live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Wisdom in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I moved to Charlotte about a year ago from New York. I don't find the cost of living to be any more expensive than New York except for housing. I would suggest renting insteading of purchasing until you are sure you can adjust socially. There is a huge difference in the people and the lifestyle.

If you could read the comment I just made our thoughts are the same. You have the best observation! I'd like to move as soon as possible!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Stressed job Hunter! in South Ozone Park, New York

46 months ago

I have been desperately looking for a job in Charlotte. i will be moving November 1st because my husband has transferred his job. I have been finding this job search to be a difficult one. I have experience in all type of fields
Office assistant
assistant early childhood and elementry school teacher
customer service
call center
AND have tailored my resume to each job application. I have only had one phone interview so far with a bank. That recruiter told me a position would be opening up in a week or so and wanted me to meet with hiring manager but that was back in september 21st. still no call from her.

What kind of jobs are available in the 28212 area?
i have tried bank teller, customer service, hotel reception and call centers. i plan to walk into preschools and apply as a substitute once i get there but for now i have nothing.

ANY Advice???

46 months ago

If you're not a local, they will be reluctant to hiring you. The hiring manager will think you will relocate. Be sure to have a North Carolina address on a current resume.

SIGH in Chapel Hill, North Carolina

46 months ago

Hi,
I moved to the Chapel Hill area exactly 2 months ago. While I had some success getting interviews while still in school in Chicago, I haven't received any formal job interviews beyond the 'opportunity' to volunteer my web-content skills and vague promises on contract work (keeping both up in the hopes I'll get contacts). I have 4 years experience in journalism/communications/PR and see plenty of jobs posted on the Duke and UNC sites, yet I don't know if I should forgo the effort in applying to these jobs based on how internally-oriented they seem to be. My fiance is here for the next 6 years, so I'm clearly invested in staying here. A little help? Should I omit my MA degree? Should I stress that I used to have family here before (all dead) to not seem like an outsider? What is the average period to wait between jobs if you're an outsider? I'm super frustrated at the moment.

Stressed job Hunter! in South Ozone Park, New York

46 months ago

Dulcie Carter in Morrisville, North Carolina said: If you're not a local, they will be reluctant to hiring you. The hiring manager will think you will relocate. Be sure to have a North Carolina address on a current resume.

Thank you for the response. I was able to use an NC address since we got approved for an apartment and the property management has been working closely with us and helping us in every way. I even omitted the location of each employer on my resume. the recruiter and i did talk about my current living situation and it seemed like no problem but i heard recruiters are very good and not showing approval or disapproval. Should i wait until im there to apply and interview? Ugh im super frustrated that there arent as many jobs in the 28212 area. A car will be a must for us. Any other jobs that are available seem to be so far

.x in Charlotte, North Carolina

45 months ago

If I were you I would not move to this state, I moved down here a couple of yrs ago, I can't wait to leave (I have to sell my houses first). People here are very racists against out of state people. Very boring town, it is good for you if you are retiring but that's it! People here are so freaking dumb and stupid. Good luck to you if you decide to stay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York

45 months ago

.x in Charlotte, North Carolina said: If I were you I would not move to this state, I moved down here a couple of yrs ago, I can't wait to leave (I have to sell my houses first). People here are very racists against out of state people. Very boring town, it is good for you if you are retiring but that's it! People here are so freaking dumb and stupid. Good luck to you if you decide to stay.

where did you come from?

45 months ago

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York said: where did you come from?

NYC

45 months ago

.x in Charlotte, North Carolina said: NYC

HA HA!

Every place is boring compared to NYC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York said: HA HA!

Every place is boring compared to NYC.

Have you lived in NC?

45 months ago

No, but I did think about moving there because of the weather. Also, at the time North Carolina was and still is heavily touted in magazines as the place to go and live.

45 months ago

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York said: No, but I did think about moving there because of the weather. Also, at the time North Carolina was and still is heavily touted in magazines as the place to go and live.

Well I am living here now, and I said what I said based on experience. The weather is indeed nice, but the rest sucks. I also wasn't comparing NYC with Charlotte, I have been to other States/Cities similar to Charlotte but not as boring. This state is good only to raise families or for retirement, there isn't much to do here and nowhere to go to have fun, and the very few places to go get boring after a while.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chad in New Baltimore, Michigan

45 months ago

Hello. I am relocating from metro Detroit to NC in three weeks. My job will require me to work in Raleigh three days per week and in Greensboro the other two days. I am 39, single, and have no children. I am wondering if anyone has advice as to where to look for a condo/apartment to rent. My main concern is finding an area to make friends and have a social life on weekends. Art and culture aren't really important to me as I am more of a sports fan/beer and bbq guy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 3 hours from the mountains and the ocean? Can't wait to get down there and enjoy both!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Beacha21 in South Portland, Maine

45 months ago

I would love to relocate from Maine to NC am I am constantly looking or jobs in the Raleigh Durham area especially. I am a multimedia producer at the #1 station on the state with a background in video production, editing, and producing. Any suggestions on goo places to look for media jobs or video production jobs? Thanks in advance!

Rosesdiamond in Sherwood, Arkansas

44 months ago

I too planned on relocating to NC. After reading a dozen or so responses from this site, it makes me wonder... My son will be starting college next year so we were looking for a NEW state/city to move to. I thought NC would be fairly closer to my brother who lives in Northern VA. From what he has told me ( and reading up on the areas myself) VA is pretty expensive to live in. If I can't find a job prior to moving to NC, I dont want to use my savings waiting on one. Any advice??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

robertsjr2000 in Denver, North Carolina

44 months ago

Rosesdiamond in Sherwood, Arkansas said: I too planned on relocating to NC. After reading a dozen or so responses from this site, it makes me wonder... My son will be starting college next year so we were looking for a NEW state/city to move to. I thought NC would be fairly closer to my brother who lives in Northern VA. From what he has told me ( and reading up on the areas myself) VA is pretty expensive to live in. If I can't find a job prior to moving to NC, I dont want to use my savings waiting on one. Any advice??

What line of work are you in?

Rosesdiamond in Little Rock, Arkansas

44 months ago

Robertsjr2000 in Denver, North Carolina said: What line of work are you in?

Logistics

Lorraine in Oneida, New York

43 months ago

My husband and I are moving to Greensboro, NC next year. My husband is from North Carolina and Greensboro is a good area. There are many fun activities and rent is cheap. Taxes if you buy a house is $15 a month. NY taxes per month if you own a house is $200 or more. My husband hates Charlotte because of the traffic, the schools, and also the people. He went to High School for a short time in Charlotte. If you are looking for a job and quiet place like us, Greensboro is worth looking into. Greensboro also has a festival every year and an outside ice rink that you can skate at everyday, that is cheap as well. I'm glad when I move from NY that I can still ice skate and all.

Lorraine in Oneida, New York

43 months ago

Robertsjr2000 in Denver, North Carolina said: What line of work are you in?

Before my husband and I move to NC, we are buying a foreclosure and renting it out. You can get foreclosures as low as 7K. We were thinking of buying two houses with our savings, rent it out and then pay the mortgage on the third one with the rent money we get from tenants. That may be an option for you guys

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Puredlite in Bronx, New York

43 months ago

MistyStar in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: Good morning everyone! I currently live in Winston-Salem, NC and want to relocate to Charlotte, NC. Looking to work in the Social Services field. I am completing my Associates Degree and will start my Bachelors in Human Services .
How is the job market for Human Services workers in Charlotte? Thanks in advance.

I am considering relocating also to Charlotte from NYC and I'm looking for Social Work jobs, can anyone recommend good places to work?

Citizen John

42 months ago

I have lived all of my life in NC and retired from State Employment. We have three distinct topographic area in the State, Coastal, Piedmont, and Mountains. There are more jobs in the Piedmont or central area of the State. Many professionals work in the Research Triangle which is in the middle of a triangle formed by Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. If you are not on the beach the coast is hot, so is the Piedmont. The mountains (WNC) has three seasons and pleasant temps. but not as many jobs. Finding a job depends on your talents and training. One piece of advice, do not move anywhere with the superior attitude that is voiced in several of these comments. People from NC to Calif. do not want to hear how much better it was in NY, first step is to lose the attitude. Check with all of the State Offices and City Govt', office personnel are needed all over the State.
If you are a civil engineer for example, take an entry level job with the NCDOT if you can get it. You can work your way up. Lighten up we don't hate all Yankees, just the ones that stay, ha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Really in Charleston, South Carolina

42 months ago

nina in Mesick, Michigan said: I want to pick up and move south,where is the best place to move to in North Carolina? no kids just pets...

Don't move to Charleston .... Unless you have employment waiting. I know it's difficult being employed just about anywhere now. But there's not many options here .... And it may be do to the overwhelming competition of a lot of people being unemployed ..... despite new companies arriving everyday. The placement agencies are all useless. You'll get better responses doing your own research. I've applied in other states just out of curiosity, and have received overwhelming responses compared to the Charleston area in which I live. So "good bye" Charleston!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.