wanting to relocate to North Carolina

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 353)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

.x in Charlotte, North Carolina

26 months ago

Joe Gagill in Ellenville, New York said: No, but I did think about moving there because of the weather. Also, at the time North Carolina was and still is heavily touted in magazines as the place to go and live.

Well I am living here now, and I said what I said based on experience. The weather is indeed nice, but the rest sucks. I also wasn't comparing NYC with Charlotte, I have been to other States/Cities similar to Charlotte but not as boring. This state is good only to raise families or for retirement, there isn't much to do here and nowhere to go to have fun, and the very few places to go get boring after a while.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chad in New Baltimore, Michigan

26 months ago

Hello. I am relocating from metro Detroit to NC in three weeks. My job will require me to work in Raleigh three days per week and in Greensboro the other two days. I am 39, single, and have no children. I am wondering if anyone has advice as to where to look for a condo/apartment to rent. My main concern is finding an area to make friends and have a social life on weekends. Art and culture aren't really important to me as I am more of a sports fan/beer and bbq guy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 3 hours from the mountains and the ocean? Can't wait to get down there and enjoy both!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Beacha21 in South Portland, Maine

25 months ago

I would love to relocate from Maine to NC am I am constantly looking or jobs in the Raleigh Durham area especially. I am a multimedia producer at the #1 station on the state with a background in video production, editing, and producing. Any suggestions on goo places to look for media jobs or video production jobs? Thanks in advance!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rosesdiamond in Sherwood, Arkansas

25 months ago

I too planned on relocating to NC. After reading a dozen or so responses from this site, it makes me wonder... My son will be starting college next year so we were looking for a NEW state/city to move to. I thought NC would be fairly closer to my brother who lives in Northern VA. From what he has told me ( and reading up on the areas myself) VA is pretty expensive to live in. If I can't find a job prior to moving to NC, I dont want to use my savings waiting on one. Any advice??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robertsjr2000 in Denver, North Carolina

25 months ago

Rosesdiamond in Sherwood, Arkansas said: I too planned on relocating to NC. After reading a dozen or so responses from this site, it makes me wonder... My son will be starting college next year so we were looking for a NEW state/city to move to. I thought NC would be fairly closer to my brother who lives in Northern VA. From what he has told me ( and reading up on the areas myself) VA is pretty expensive to live in. If I can't find a job prior to moving to NC, I dont want to use my savings waiting on one. Any advice??

What line of work are you in?

Rosesdiamond in Little Rock, Arkansas

25 months ago

Robertsjr2000 in Denver, North Carolina said: What line of work are you in?

Logistics

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine in Oneida, New York

24 months ago

My husband and I are moving to Greensboro, NC next year. My husband is from North Carolina and Greensboro is a good area. There are many fun activities and rent is cheap. Taxes if you buy a house is $15 a month. NY taxes per month if you own a house is $200 or more. My husband hates Charlotte because of the traffic, the schools, and also the people. He went to High School for a short time in Charlotte. If you are looking for a job and quiet place like us, Greensboro is worth looking into. Greensboro also has a festival every year and an outside ice rink that you can skate at everyday, that is cheap as well. I'm glad when I move from NY that I can still ice skate and all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine in Oneida, New York

24 months ago

Robertsjr2000 in Denver, North Carolina said: What line of work are you in?

Before my husband and I move to NC, we are buying a foreclosure and renting it out. You can get foreclosures as low as 7K. We were thinking of buying two houses with our savings, rent it out and then pay the mortgage on the third one with the rent money we get from tenants. That may be an option for you guys

Puredlite in Bronx, New York

23 months ago

MistyStar in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: Good morning everyone! I currently live in Winston-Salem, NC and want to relocate to Charlotte, NC. Looking to work in the Social Services field. I am completing my Associates Degree and will start my Bachelors in Human Services .
How is the job market for Human Services workers in Charlotte? Thanks in advance.

I am considering relocating also to Charlotte from NYC and I'm looking for Social Work jobs, can anyone recommend good places to work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Citizen John

22 months ago

I have lived all of my life in NC and retired from State Employment. We have three distinct topographic area in the State, Coastal, Piedmont, and Mountains. There are more jobs in the Piedmont or central area of the State. Many professionals work in the Research Triangle which is in the middle of a triangle formed by Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. If you are not on the beach the coast is hot, so is the Piedmont. The mountains (WNC) has three seasons and pleasant temps. but not as many jobs. Finding a job depends on your talents and training. One piece of advice, do not move anywhere with the superior attitude that is voiced in several of these comments. People from NC to Calif. do not want to hear how much better it was in NY, first step is to lose the attitude. Check with all of the State Offices and City Govt', office personnel are needed all over the State.
If you are a civil engineer for example, take an entry level job with the NCDOT if you can get it. You can work your way up. Lighten up we don't hate all Yankees, just the ones that stay, ha.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Really in Charleston, South Carolina

22 months ago

nina in Mesick, Michigan said: I want to pick up and move south,where is the best place to move to in North Carolina? no kids just pets...

Don't move to Charleston .... Unless you have employment waiting. I know it's difficult being employed just about anywhere now. But there's not many options here .... And it may be do to the overwhelming competition of a lot of people being unemployed ..... despite new companies arriving everyday. The placement agencies are all useless. You'll get better responses doing your own research. I've applied in other states just out of curiosity, and have received overwhelming responses compared to the Charleston area in which I live. So "good bye" Charleston!

Citizen John

22 months ago

Welcome to NC, I have lived in NC all of my life (70). The Research Triangle between Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill would be a good place to look. Lots of companies have their research facilities there. I'm not a fan of Charlotte, too much traffic. I live in WNC near Asheville where the temps. are cooler in summer. This is the place to be if you like the outdoors, National Forest, rivers, mountains. Asheville is in Buncombe Co. and the taxes are much higher than surrounding counties and within driving distance of Asheville. I would suggest Henderson Co, near but not necessarily in the town of Hendersonville, taxes again. It is called "The Land of The Sky" and you will feel like you have died and gone to Heaven if you can find a job. If the rarefied air of the universities is important go to the Triangle Area.

ZoeinNC in Charlotte, North Carolina

22 months ago

I don't know if this thread is still active, but I happened across the discussion and after reading several of the comments here, I had to add mine. I'm in agreement with Citizen John, given the tone of many of the comments, there is a superiority that is predominant, whether intended or not. I am not a native, having live and worked globally, yet I have called Charlotte home for a decade now and I prefer living here to anywhere else, in the world. I will tell you, life in NC is vastly different than in many other areas. People still have manners. You will feel "unwelcome" if you violate those basic social norms. Business is equally as sophisticated, whether working for the large corporations in the area, or for the family organizations, a certain protocol is expected. If you want to find a job, bear in mind that the unemployment rate in NC is very high, and has been for decades, especially in the furniture and textile belt. That being said, there is absolutely no room for error when pursuing work in the state, right down to what you post on job sites. Forget any stigma you might have surrounding "Southerners" as they are the smartest and shrewdest people, collectively, that I have had the honor of working alongside.

About the only way to land a coveted job or re-entrance into a career is to network. Universally, over 90% of jobs are gained through networks. If you are applying through ATS, applicant tracking systems, expect to not get called, as the algorithms are set to cause failure rates to be astronomical. It is virtually impossible to get through the systems, especially if you have strong leadership and innovation qualities. Get out there and start networking, it's the only way, for the most part. And remember, above all else, use proper etiquette as if you were holding audience with the Queen of England.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

From NY to Charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina

21 months ago

Hey Guys.... I really love reading everyones comments questions concerns and feedback on moving to charlotte. Ive created a facebook page where we can continue this discussion on a daily basis. I am from NY and before making the move to charlotte i was absoultely clueless as to how to go about finding the right area, job and place to live. it was my first time moving to another state and changing jobs. I am one who does not regret my move to charlotte, some people do and some like myself dont. I would love for all of us to share our experciences and advice for others on this new facebook page called "From NY to Charlotte"

www.facebook.com/pages/From-NY-To-Charlotte

You can post questions, reviews, favorite places to dine out, shop and live and work in the charlotte area! hope to see you guys there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Diovy in New York, New York

21 months ago

I've been wanting to move to NC for the longest time!!! I hear many pros and cons and I appreciate them all, but I find myself thinking of the move because I have a daughter, who wants to move as well, and I wouldn't want to put her in a difficult situation. On the other hand living in NY I haven't been able to buy a home, the raised the subways and the rent is unbelievable. My lease is up in the Summer and it will not be renewed, so the options for me a becoming pretty slim. I have a BA is Social Science with Education, so teaching is in the plans, I'm a certified Pharmacy Technician and I have 10 years of Marketing/Pharmaceutical Traffic Coordinator, would I be able to find a job that will help me support my child and live reasonably?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Citizen John

21 months ago

We have a host of drugstores down here on about every corner if that would be in your plans, CVS, Walgreen, a lot of Rite Aid stores in Charlotte, Walmart's are everywhere. If a Pharmacy is what would do consider a smaller town, the climate and traffic in WNC is so much better than Charlotte.
You can find any number of places that are good places to raise a family anywhere in NC. Follow your interests. Try to never live in the county where the larger cities are if you can live in a more rural county with a short driving distance. Taxes are cheaper in rural counties. Cities have to raise taxes to pay for all of the "dead beats" and services. Live next door and get the services free, ie. airport, coliseum, sports complex, hospitals, bloated public bureaucracy, etc.
Good Luck!

Citizen John

21 months ago

One other comment, NC has a strong Community College System as well as the University System. The Community Colleges may have openings which would generally put you in a small town or more rural environment if you liked. There are also some private colleges in NC. You might want to check out this system. NC is a vibrant growing State.

Had it in Charlotte, North Carolina

21 months ago

We are a step away from getting the hell out of charlotte! It is difficult to find a job here without knowing "someone". We had enough of this state, everything is getting more expensive, just last year water and electricity went up. It takes an eternity to get something done, people here are very slow paced, it is hard to find a good doctor, a good dentist, etc. I have known several people who are leaving the state, so good luck with your move!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Citizen John

21 months ago

We don't need those who would rather be somewhere else. It's a "free" Country still, I think, I could be wrong, and would suggest you go while the "getting is good".
As I have said before, Charlotte wouldn't be my choice, nor any of the larger cities. Charlotte jobs evidently pay well since people drive 75 miles one way to work there. Charlotte is like a huge spider reaching out and drawing people to work from Rockhill, SC to Statesville and Gastonia, NC.
No need to knock the State just because you do not have the qualifications for jobs being offered. I'll grant you that there are a lot of applicants for most jobs due to Obama's economy. This is true in most States right now. I understand that unemployment is pretty low in North and South Dakota, maybe you would like to try there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kimberly in Baltimore, Maryland

19 months ago

I really want to move to NC. I live in WV and I am completely fed up with job searches as well as people and the place. I want to be able to say hi and not get the attitude. Martinsburg has changed for the worst.
I wish I never moved here. I love the beautiful state of NC always have since I was little. Any help would be appreciated. I have been in the accounting field for 37 years.

19 months ago

Help please

Sue in Shelby, North Carolina

19 months ago

Kimberly...I moved here from Buffalo. I know a good accounting office in Rock Hill, SC. We are just below Charlotte over the state line. Most living expenses are much less over the border..Close enough to work and play but not drain your pockets.

19 months ago

Oh my goodness. Where do I send my tesume

Sue in Shelby, North Carolina

19 months ago

send to smartsue3@yahoo.com Be glad to be a tour guide if you want to come for a visit..

19 months ago

That is so nice of u. I will send it first thing Monday morning. Thank u so much. I greatly appreciate ur kindness and assistance God bless u

19 months ago

I finished college for medical office administration with office technologies in April. Martinsburg WV is dead.

Lorraine Cornell in Ithaca, New York

18 months ago

Greensboro is really nice. It is a high populated city, but many attraction and a lot less crime than Charlotte. The business district is separated from where homes are. There is ice skating, it located near the Blue Ridge Mountains, located an hour or so away from where you can snow board and/or ski. There is a bus route available as well to Winston Salem from Greensboro, Greensboro to High Point and also a local bus route that goes all over Greensboro. On Craigslist, there are plenty of paces to rent out that are as low as around $300 that includes utilities for apartments in the area. High Point is also a great place to live if you want to live somewhere with less people, but can take the bus to Greensboro if you want excitement. If you want to live in a small town and with more of a country feeling, you could move to Thomasville; they have their population at 20,000 people. Good luck on your search. I would stay away from Charlotte and Winston Salem, but especially Charlotte...the crime and property rates are high.

Citizen John

18 months ago

Good comment on Greensboro area. You might want to vacation some down here before picking a place to move. WNC is known as "Variety Vacation Land", the Coast is nice during parts of the year, the center of the State gets hot which has advantages and disadvantages. Spend some time down here before you load the truck, Asheville and Chapel Hill are "little San Francisco's" and the rest of the State is generally conservative but you will find company if you are a liberal anywhere. City or Rural, the choice is yours.

18 months ago

nwhitney in west cornwall, Connecticut said: Looking for information on area with short drive to shopping need land for horses.
in N.C. Hickory area or surrounding area. We are a family of working people one son is a farrier one is into construction equipment repair and is looking to start his own business .Any information would be wonderful.

We have a horse farm in Sherrills Ford 28 acres, its nice because we are still about 5 min drive to Lake Norman, but we have all the land we can handle. Zoning will allow for the business you referred to, building codes aren't too bad.

LKN is still growing (west side mostly Denver, Sherrills-Ford, Iron Station, Stanley) so there is still a lot of farm land available, and its close to shopping/lake life.

Let me know if you are going to be around town sometime, I can give you a few address to check out.

18 months ago

ZoeinNC in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I don't know if this thread is still active, but I happened across the discussion and after reading several of the comments here, I had to add mine. I'm in agreement with Citizen John, given the tone of many of the comments, there is a superiority that is predominant, whether intended or not. I am not a native, having live and worked globally, yet I have called Charlotte home for a decade now and I prefer living here to anywhere else, in the world...

About the only way to land a coveted job or re-entrance into a career is to network. Universally, over 90% of jobs are gained through networks. If you are applying through ATS, applicant tracking systems, expect to not get called, as the algorithms are set to cause failure rates to be astronomical. It is virtually impossible to get through the systems, especially if you have strong leadership and innovation qualities. Get out there and start networking, it's the only way, for the most part. And remember, above all else, use proper etiquette as if you were holding audience with the Queen of England.

I like "Forget any stigma you might have surrounding "Southerners" as they are the smartest and shrewdest people, collectively, that I have had the honor of working alongside."

Most people around here are originally from Long Island/ New York State area, try going to Birkdale Village during Christmas season, I remember counting more NYC plates than North Carolina.

Citizen John

18 months ago

You might want to check the 1-26 Corridor between Columbus, NC and Landrum, SC area. Lotta horse farms in Polk Co. NC., high dollar "Hunter" type horses mostly.
FENCE Equestrian Center www.fence.org/
The FENCE Equestrian Center has gained a reputation as one of the finest facilities of its kind in the Southeast. With permanent stabling for over 300 horses in eleven barns, all-weather footing in three lighted showrings (including a covered arena), on-site parking and spectator seating, the Equestrian Center hosts events in all disciplines year-round.
Land is cheaper on the SC side of the border. Besides cheap land "relatively" in SC both Hendersonville, NC and Spartenburg, SC are about 20 minutes away from Landrum, SC which is on the State line where FENCE is located. I live near the Airport and know that land and taxes are higher in NC than SC. Landrum would be a good place to live and it should not be too hard to find something suitable. There are also a lot of horse shows near the Asheville Airport on I-26 20 minutes north of Hendersonville, NC at the Fairgrounds. Fairgrounds are about half way between Asheville and Hendersonville.
You should be able to find jobs based on your description above.

lkoortiz in Norwalk, California

18 months ago

Naomi in Richmond, Virginia said: Thank you dan how nice of you to respond to me. I am looking a job in business , economics , accounting or education sector. The problem is I dont have any friends in NC. As you said I think the recruiters r hesitant to hire someone from another state but still it does not make sense to me. Otherwise they should indicate in their job posting the position is open to only local applicants. Any way i dont know what will be the best thing to do

...So I hve been reading all these posts about NC and my father moved there about last year. He is Originally from Orange County, California, and he moved to New Zealand with my step mother who's a kiwi and my step brother, halif brother,and five sisters who also lived with him there as well and most f them were born there too so they are also kiwis. Well he moved bak to O.C Cali to finish up his pension in the air and heating business and he was doing really well and getting paid a ton until there werent anymore jobs left and he did go to new mexico a lot for work and other states as well and just came home on the weekends. He did finally make the move to North Carolina because he got a job offer there that was a really good one that was enough to feed his huge family he created lol Anyway, I remember my g-parents saying he already wanted to move back to new zealand but my father has also not been one to settle for too long. I think h stayed in new zealand the longest besides when he grew up in cali. He did say he wanted to move and that the work wasnt what he was expecting I guess or maybe he just wasnt liking it as much but he thought everything was awesome when he first got there, he just gets bored easily. I do not know what part or North Carolina it was which kind of sucks. Anyway I have read all these stories about everyone wanting to make the move with or without a job but that they do not want to do it alone in case they cant find a job.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

I actually live in Cypress, Ca but I am in Norwalk with my man visiting witht he kids as of right now. Anyway I did write a huge note but i dont know wo got it and i didnt get to finish. I wrote about my father moving to NC from living in O.C cali and also New Zealand and I hear he wants to move back but hes a mover and is always on the go and never stays somewhere for too long. Hes just a traveler I guess..lol He originally went to NEw Zealand to surf and Ski and came back with a wife and a step son hahaha so U catch my drift. Anyway hes a hard working man and somehow finds jobs everywhere and moves without even having one sometimes but he does have a lot of friends to help him when he does move for address purposes and my gparents help also if he needs to come stay a bit ti=o find a job. . ANyway I heard so many people without families that wanted to move but didnt want to go it alone withut a job first or even if u did have a job and i thought wy not a few of you guys form this site all get togehter and make a plan to move together to nc jsut to get out there and see what its like while all of ou guys search for jobs but youll be able to save money if you guys go as a group and stay somewhere that lets you all share rent. It would hel a lot of your finance problems of being able to stay and look for a job and youll all be doing the same thing so you wont really be in anyones hair. Unless one of you guys drops the ball. Lol but you can all make a contract so that wont happen and that youll all do your share. So kind of like room and bored at a college dorm but in a house renting it or a huge apartment and all pay a certain amount for rent and buy your own food and then you can all look for your jobs there and youll have the support of one another instead of being alone. I know you are all grown and probably dont want that to happen but sometimes things have to be done to get things done. It could work if it was planned correctly. Good luck 2 all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

I do not know what part of NC my fahter did move to but he said it was farm land like new zealand and it reminded him of New Zealand because of how big all the land is but he also loves farm land and he did say it wasnt as green as new zealand but it was just as beautiful. Hard to beat new zealand hahaha but he said it was doing a good job of it lol.. hope all of you figure out what you're all going to do or decide. I've been thinking of moving but too scared to move out of sate even though I feel like it's going to be the inevitable eventually. good luck for everyone.. I guess im just rooting for all of you even though im not making a move there. Ive been wondering hat it would be like if i moved to my dads with my 2 kids to try and build a life for myself and my man out there, but not sure id want to move all the way to nc. Arizona maybe, his friend works there already and said he could prob help him find a job with what he does but not quite sure.. I just want him to have a job period haha... anyway hope all is well for you all on your end of the world!

Stefanie in Salinas, California

17 months ago

Hi,
I am looking to relocate to Charlotte but need to secure a job before making the move from California.

I am a CPA with a BS in Business Administration with concentrations in Accounting and Finance.

Any ideas of how to best go about getting a job out there would greatly appreciated!!!

new to charlotte in Greer, South Carolina

17 months ago

Stefanie in Salinas, California said: Hi,
I am looking to relocate to Charlotte but need to secure a job before making the move from California.

I am a CPA with a BS in Business Administration with concentrations in Accounting and Finance.

Any ideas of how to best go about getting a job out there would greatly appreciated!!!

Banking is the biggest industry in charlotte

KW in North Tonawanda, New York

17 months ago

After living in WNY (Buffalo- Tonawanda to be exact) all my life, I am moving to the Charlotte area. I am in the process of having my Opticians license transferred and already have had a few job inquiries. This state is so corrupt, over taxed and I just cannot take it anymore.

I bought a foreclosed house 3 years ago, fixed it up and was notified that my taxes will about TRIPLE. I got a letter from the City Assessor last Friday, property re-assessed, taxes raising from $810 to $2350, for what? That does NOT include the County Taxes. As it stands now, I will be paying $3400 for a 70K house. I cannot fathom my taxes being more than my mortgage payment. Enough is enough.

My girlfriend (who moved back to Buffalo 2 years ago to take care of her ailing father), wants to go back, so I am in. She lived there for 20 years and has many connections. I am blessed in that my house is in a desirable neighborhood. So once it sells, I am gone.

Cannot wait to call Charlotte home. Too bad, I think New York WAS a great sate, now it is imploding.

Citizen John

17 months ago

Be Careful where you buy, taxes vary a lot, county to county, lot of free loaders in Charlotte so Mechlinburg Co. and City taxes will be higher than just over the line in another county preferably outside the City limits. You could also think about heading down to SC and be in a much lower taxed State and lower local tax. "It ain't that far", ha. You can practically live "free" in SC with a little commute.
Check it out, let the City Folk pay for the free loaders!
CJ

Car2oon in North Carolina

16 months ago

kate in Wilmington, North Carolina said: you better look around good before you get here because NC is really bad in employment. Don't waste your time in Wilmington. The unemployment rate is almost 12%. I would secure the job before I came here otherwise don't waste your time.

Jeepers lady/fellow...its that way everywhere! What planet are you from???

Car2oon in North Carolina

16 months ago

SIGH in Chapel Hill, North Carolina said: Hi,
I moved to the Chapel Hill area exactly 2 months ago. While I had some success getting interviews while still in school in Chicago, I haven't received any formal job interviews beyond the 'opportunity' to volunteer my web-content skills and vague promises on contract work (keeping both up in the hopes I'll get contacts). I have 4 years experience in journalism / communications /PR and see plenty of jobs posted on the Duke and UNC sites, yet I don't know if I should forgo the effort in applying to these jobs based on how internally-oriented they seem to be. My fiance is here for the next 6 years, so I'm clearly invested in staying here. A little help? Should I omit my MA degree? Should I stress that I used to have family here before (all dead) to not seem like an outsider? What is the average period to wait between jobs if you're an outsider? I'm super frustrated at the moment.

You don't sound like you are even trying to sell yourself at all. Do what I did....dump the yankee accent....talk like a true Southerner...love the food...the weather and the scenery...don't come off condescending...be their friend and you will go places!

DiDi Jinx in New York, New York

16 months ago

Carline said: Am looking forward to move NC but i dont knw NC that much what place it great to move at , and i always send my resume but nothings happen .

Me too. I am finding that the only industries that really hire in NC (Wilmington Area) are jobs you wouldnt want(supermarket, retail and fast food jobs) that pay around $8-9 p/hr. Career wise the only industries I see hiring are either healthcare or education. Good luck on your search Im finding the bigger cities have more postings but dont really differ as far as industries but there are more options.

Citizen John

16 months ago

Health Care Comment is Right On ! A good place for health care workers is Hendersonville, a lot of retirees in WNC. Climate is great! "Variety Vacation Land". Economies under McCrory in NC and Haley in SC have improved the job climate. The economy has been stagnant because Obama Care has created so much uncertainty for business.

Trying 2 pick up the pieces in Wantagh, New York

16 months ago

Hi. I am looking to relocate from Wantagh Long Island, NY and was considering the Apex/Cary area. I have 5 years experience as a medical receptionist (dermatologist office). I would appreciate your opinions in getting part time work in a medical office in that area. I work p/t now and my hourly salary is $12.70 so I am looking in that range. My boyfriend is already there and is looking for something on a golf course or horticultural position too. So wondering about those jobs are abundant as well. Living in NYC for all my life is not the Same New York that once was. Looking to start anew so any advice to give this 42 yr. young Lady is so appreciated :) Looking forward to seeing NC in October to see if this move should be a go :)

jen1 in Bronx, New York

16 months ago

Lorraine in Oneida, New York said: My husband and I are moving to Greensboro, NC next year. My husband is from North Carolina and Greensboro is a good area. There are many fun activities and rent is cheap. Taxes if you buy a house is $15 a month. NY taxes per month if you own a house is $200 or more. My husband hates Charlotte because of the traffic, the schools, and also the people. He went to High School for a short time in Charlotte. If you are looking for a job and quiet place like us, Greensboro is worth looking into. Greensboro also has a festival every year and an outside ice rink that you can skate at everyday, that is cheap as well. I'm glad when I move from NY that I can still ice skate and all.

I am also from New York, the Bronx unfortunately. After attending college in PA (PSU) and living in State College and graduation, I miss the quiet, clean, and lush surroundings that I experienced in PA. Since last year I have my heart on relocating to Charlotte due to the fact that it is not too country nor is it too city, just the between, and I really miss that environment. I am trying to find recruiters and agencies that can assist me with finding work. For the first time in my life, I am going to learn how to drive. So use to the subways, but now I am moving in the right directon. I have a BA in Labor Relations, but since 2006 I have worked in the Health Insurance Industry as a Member Services Rep and now a Provider Relations Representative. Would like to go into HR, but have some recruiting experience by recruiting providers into the network. I never really thought about Greensboro, but I think I should do my research on it. I wanted to plan a vacation, but need to save money for the move. I really would like your feeback on the area.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Citizen John

16 months ago

My son and his family live in Cary which is between Raleigh, Chapel Hill and Durham. A lot of construction is always going on around this area and Your boyfriend should be able to find a job doing landscape, horticultural, work. It's competitive but lots of that kind of work. There is always work in the medical field, you should find work. Might want to search before you go though. Raleigh was recently found to be the 4th best place to find work in the US of A, I believe. The triangle area, Ral.,Durham,Chapel Hill would be better than Charlotte, more jobs. Try to locate where both of your commutes are not too bad. The city living in Raleigh and Durham is not as good as Cary, and Fuquay-Varina. Cities are expensive and not as safe as the in between areas, schools not as good, etc. in town. If you got a job in Chapel Hill,Carboro joins Chapel Hill and would be a little cheaper to live there than Chapel Hill proper. University towns are more expensive. It is also expensive to live close to NC State in Raleigh or Duke in Durham.

Trying 2 pick up the pieces in Wantagh, New York

16 months ago

Thanks so much for your reply. I am considering Apex/Cary/Raleigh location than the others. I appreciate all your insight :)

Citizen John

16 months ago

No problem, Apex is good also, joins Cary, nice little town. Transportation routes are efficient but busy and fuel costs rise the farther away you are from your job. Raleigh has a belt line, so does Charlotte, you can drive around all day if you like, ha. Little towns east of Raleigh aren't bad also, Garner, Zebulon, or US 1 North off of the beltline. Traffic is a BI double itch at work time but not as bad as Charlotte. A job that provides a vehicle is a big plus these days.
You're about 2 hours from the Beach and 4&1/2 Hours from the mountains. You likely both could find jobs in Hendersonville Area (mountains) with your background, an even better place to live....

Henriette in Washington, District of Columbia

16 months ago

I want to move to charlotte NC. I live in Fredericksburg Va and work in Washington DC, the trafic is very bad and the cost of living has became to expensive for me. I am single with no children. I have bachelor in Accounting. I work as an accountant assistant and I also worked for PNC bank for eight years. I don't know any one in Chartolle but I visited it many time and I love it. Can someone please help me. I have to find a job and a safe area to live. My email address is akonohenry@yahoo.com

hate charlotte in Charlotte, North Carolina

15 months ago

DON'T move to Charlotte. Period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Citizen John in Chattanooga, Tennessee

15 months ago

Evidently some people like Charlotte...but one can always move..one can also drive a very few miles south on I-77 and be in SC where the taxes are lower if one has to live in Charlotte. I don't like any of the larger towns anywhere, not for me, it depends on what your goals are, if you like the "hustle and bustle" and activities around a big city, or if you have to work in one for your job. If you have a negative attitude you won't like anyplace for long.
cj

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.