Moving to Charlottesville - how did you get here?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

Reply - Report abuse

Allen (though I'm not in Galax, VA) in Galax, Virginia

97 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

Came from San Jose, CA. Decided it was time to leave Mexifornia and spend a few years in what is left of America before illegal immigration destroys the rest. Bought a beautiful, brand new, home in Palmyra in May of last year. I love the region and it's people. Western Virginia (not to be confused with West Virginia) and the Charlottesville area is a wonderful place to live (not to say that West Virginia couldn't say the same..I've just never lived there..).

If I would do anything differently, I would have bought a less expensive home and paid cash for it. I thought the job market in Charlottesville would sustain my new life style even if I took a 50 or 60% cut in pay, compared to the solid six figure incomes my wife and I both had in California. Charlottesville ( for both my wife and I) can't support 25% of our combined Californian income. It's a college town. Agism is the bigotry my wife and I must deal with, now. Tons of college graduates at bargain rates. Geez-bags need not apply. So, things are very tight, financially.

If (really when) the national economy goes into full recession (which it's about to do) then I could loose what's left because Charlottesville is a very fragile economy, itself. No hight tech, no heavy manufacturing, no sustainable industries to depend up when the economic stuff hits the fan.

I make each of these point, not because I want sympathy, but because you should think very long before you move here. Wait until you have landed a position with a strong employer before you cut your ties to where ever you might be, today.

Perhaps you may think of moving somewhere else?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Hud in Charlottesville, Virginia

94 months ago

Allen (though I'm not in Galax, VA) in Galax, Virginia said: Came from San Jose, CA. Decided it was time to leave Mexifornia and spend a few years in what is left of America before illegal immigration destroys the rest. Bought a beautiful, brand new, home in Palmyra in May of last year. I love the region and it's people. Western Virginia (not to be confused with West Virginia) and the Charlottesville area is a wonderful place to live (not to say that West Virginia couldn't say the same..I've just never lived there..).

If I would do anything differently, I would have bought a less expensive home and paid cash for it. I thought the job market in Charlottesville would sustain my new life style even if I took a 50 or 60% cut in pay, compared to the solid six figure incomes my wife and I both had in California. Charlottesville ( for both my wife and I) can't support 25% of our combined Californian income. It's a college town. Agism is the bigotry my wife and I must deal with, now. Tons of college graduates at bargain rates. Geez-bags need not apply. So, things are very tight, financially.

If (really when) the national economy goes into full recession (which it's about to do) then I could loose what's left because Charlottesville is a very fragile economy, itself. No hight tech, no heavy manufacturing, no sustainable industries to depend up when the economic stuff hits the fan.

I make each of these point, not because I want sympathy, but because you should think very long before you move here. Wait until you have landed a position with a strong employer before you cut your ties to where ever you might be, today.

Perhaps you may think of moving somewhere else?

Allan -

I've never heard the term "Mexifornia" before, but I must admit it makes me smile. Amen brother ! I once noticed an interesting bumper sticker on a car in Cambridge, MA several years ago, it said: Speak English or Get the Hell Out. Looks like the recession has begun!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

former cvillian in Baku, Azerbaijan

82 months ago

You are right! Cville is a great place for students and retirees and not for those who need to make a living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Charlottesville, Virginia

77 months ago

AMEN AMEN AMEN. Moved here from another state due to my husband's job. Have a bachelor's degree, graduate degree, have passed CPA exam, oh...15 years experience. My daughter makes more money babysitting than I do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

imigrant in Charlottesville, Virginia

69 months ago

before the immigrants destroys the rest?
then we are all destroying it just look and ask around you mother, grand mother friend, school mates etc we are all immigrants

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Charlottesville, Virginia

66 months ago

Don't move to Charlottesville, VA if you are single. It is expensive and does not pay well. Charlottesville has been arguing for years to put a bypass in, a YMCA in, where the signs should be on the road, etc. Nothing gets done, because everything gets shot down. The city wants to push out the low income and put in the middle class. But the pay is not great. People usually live outside of Cville to get housing. It is beautiful land around here, but I need money. I am very tired of this town. I am leaving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

can't find work in Charlottesville, Virginia

37 months ago

Ugh! This city blows job wise. I have applied for multiple jobs here and been shut down every single time. I moved down here b/c my fiance got a job here. I'm going on my fourth month of unemployment and I wish that I didn't move here. I would definitely be working if I didn't leave NY.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.