Why is so hard to get a good job in Cleveland, Ohio

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 110)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Garray Mohve in Mentor, Ohio

54 months ago

pebcle I believe you are correct in many ways and your statement seems to be a trend only going upward. There was an article not too long ago about the unemployed need not apply. Recruiters are going after those who are working to fill open positions. Age descrimination will be a big problem in the future. "How come there are no solutions" about employment? Normal economics to make new jobs people need to spend money. Big cities have targeted small cities such as CLE, Philly, Cinci to take away companies. It is easier to take a company from a neighboring city than it is to generate a new company from the ground up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

GoodBye216 in Cleveland, Ohio

47 months ago

Well, after the internet boom, all states were almost created equal. Old Ohio / Midwest stereotypes were close to disappearing because we were so connected with the world. But now, we are as disconnected as we ever were to bigger cities and areas that attract talent and brain power. Its true, this city is dead. It is filled with overly forgiving liberals who keep "hoping". The same types that turn cheek to "African-Americans" who do their best to make this one of the worst places to live in America. This city is no better than Detroit, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh or any other run-down city and I can't wait to leave.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

larry in Cleveland, Ohio

47 months ago

GoodBye216 in Cleveland, Ohio said: Well, after the internet boom, all states were almost created equal. Old Ohio / Midwest stereotypes were close to disappearing because we were so connected with the world. But now, we are as disconnected as we ever were to bigger cities and areas that attract talent and brain power. Its true, this city is dead. It is filled with overly forgiving liberals who keep "hoping". The same types that turn cheek to "African-Americans" who do their best to make this one of the worst places to live in America. This city is no better than Detroit, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh or any other run-down city and I can't wait to leave.

Blame the city for all your woes. What have you done to make the city better? FYI Pittsburgh has made the turn around, you are not up to date with reality Goodbye216

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Siobhanne in Thomson, Georgia

46 months ago

I have applied for jobs that I am well qualified for but without any result at all. My concern is that it might be related to my age or my previous income level ( I am 50). Most jobs I have applied for ask questions concerning WOTC qualificiations. I am not member of ANY of the target groups. According to the questionaire, the answers to these questions do not affect hiring decisions. That is bull. If you were an employer and had to choose between two applicants, one of which would get you a huge tax credit, and the other zilch.. who would you pick? The sad thing is that the companies who do this generally abuse the tax credit by a). Maximizing tax credits by deliberately keeping the company a revolving door ( no emphasis on retention of employee) or b). Reimbursing the employee at such a low rate that the employee continues to qualify for TANF, Medicaid, WIC vouchers etc.. not solving the problems that WOTC was created to address in the first place.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chanson in Lakewood, Ohio

45 months ago

I see no one here has mentioned the fact that a great number decent paying jobs (especially state/county/city job) are extremely corrupt. Unless you have an "in" good luck with getting hired. So that leaves a handful of corporations and private business (and those numbers get smaller by the week). Unless you have some strong roots in this region, you will definitely need something beyond qualifications to get job.

The only people that do well in this region are the ones that have been here for generations. Why do you think new people aren't staying in Cleveland? Actually, they do come here for the cheap rent and leave when they realize that without the right connections they are going to be stuck working at Target. The sooner people figure this out the better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Karl in Akron, Ohio

29 months ago

I graduated with a biology degree from Ohio State in 2005, spent 2 years looking for work, then enrolled in a Masters Program at CSU, graduated in 2010, spent another 2 years looking for work. For all intents and purposes I've been unemployed for a decade. I live at home and work part time for my dad.

It seems like I keep applying to the same jobs over and over again. At least a dozen times each. Most the jobs you see posted online are filled internally.

In January I talked my way into an internship at a commercial property appraisal company. Spent six months working there free of charge, but it was clear they didn't have a position for me because I don't have a real estate license and I'd have to go back to school/apprentice for another two years to get one.

I recently interviewed for another internship with a property developer... At least they had the courtesy to tell me they were offering the position to the son of a business associate.

I recently applied for a job at the steel mill, probably the same job my great grandfather who couldn't speak english did 100 years ago. I'm now in the third round of applicants as they try to thin the herd.

Bottom line: unless you are related to a politician/the president of the company, there are no jobs here. I'd move somewhere else, but I don't know anybody in any other cities either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio

29 months ago

The city of Cleveland has been steadily emptying for decades. When the industrial base began to disintegrate, other cities repurposed the old warehouses into apartment complexes or small business areas where all the businesses related & included various cafes & eternally needed services, like laundry or specialty groceries. Cle lets even city landmarks disintegrate, like the 9th St/Erie cemetary, which could be a marvelous park surrounded by bistros/eateries just off downtown Cle. The few neighborhood groups that try to maintain or resurrect certain street area fight uphill. When you don't have neighborhood cohesion in a city, you don't have jobs, either. & lots of luck getting any service w/a 911 call or the police.

Ramona Mangrum in Cleveland, Ohio

22 months ago

GoodBye216 in Cleveland, Ohio said: Well, after the internet boom, all states were almost created equal. Old Ohio / Midwest stereotypes were close to disappearing because we were so connected with the world. But now, we are as disconnected as we ever were to bigger cities and areas that attract talent and brain power. Its true, this city is dead. It is filled with overly forgiving liberals who keep "hoping". The same types that turn cheek to "African-Americans" who do their best to make this one of the worst places to live in America. This city is no better than Detroit, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh or any other run-down city and I can't wait to leave.

Your comment is out and out racist. African Americans are not the purse holders in this or any other city. Blame it on the developers who turned away from this city in the fifties long before any African American moved into any position that held supposed power. Shame on you!!!!! This type of backwards thinking is what makes Cleveland such an unattractive place for any forward thinking investors. Again, shame, shame, shame on you. Your thinking is disgusting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

I really think that the comment regarding having to know someone is very true. However, I bet if the folks here found a way to put their heads together they would have the stuff to start a business to which they all could contribute and invest their time and money as they are able. Become your own bosses. Create your own network. Move your own future. If I had any money at all, this is what I would do. As a group, the funding and the talent could be found. Think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jesse in Berea, Ohio

21 months ago

I hit the pavement hard knowing I was losing job last October. It has been a few months now and the only offers I have had are in the south west lower states. I don't want to leave the Cleveland area but it does't look good here. I have had offers here but they are for a hell of a lot less money than what I was making before...

Marie in Cleveland, Ohio

21 months ago

I am a well educated black woman and unable to find a position in Cleveland or anywhere else. I have excellent work ethic and a great deal of organizational development and human resources management as well as training experience. Unfortunately, after reading the many articles on the internet I find this is even more widespread than I thought.Being black has not helped my situation, one look at the internet will tell you that blacks highly educated or not are not apart of the agenda if any hiring is done. I am well aware that regardless of the race many of us are unemployed but each person's situation is different. I just wish we could all get back to work being 50 is not easy as employers could care less just imagine being me and employers knowing they can get away with it. This president has done nothing more than ensure many of us stay unemployed and lose everything we built eventually ending up in a shelter and dying so that we will not be a drain on the economy. I am at my wits end and really see no way out but I will keep applying hopefully someone will see my experience and not my color or age. I wish everyone God speed and good luck in their job hunt. I will continue looking although I do not think my 2 master's degrees and doctorate will be of help to many I am over educated which creates an even bigger issue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grandma in Dallas, Texas

21 months ago

I can see how all of you are frustrated, but I want to give you one piece of advice, that I pray you heed. I am a 64 year old woman, fairly attractive who has worked in some form of customer service for over 40 years. The young recruiters bring you in, check you out and you NEVER hear from them again. I find a recruiter and asked her if there was age discrimination and she said HECK yes there is. I quit a job making almost 40K a year, because the wife of the doctor I worked for was a nut case. The older you get, the less you can put up with. You young whipper snappers need to find a job, save money for retirement, because there will not be any when you get to be my age. Thank God I have that to fall back on, but I can't live on $1270.00 a month. I am working at a very nice architecture firm, very well known as a temp to perm in 3 months. I am in horrible health and pray I can make it for three months. Never give up, never give in, because if Grandma can do it, so can you !!! God Bless and Pray a Lot.......I did....... and it does work.......AMEN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Grandma in Dallas, Texas

21 months ago

Yo Hwan in Salmiya, Kuwait said: Hi im a high student and i have a question...do we really need to go to a good college to get a good job?

Yes, an education will open doors for you, even if it is not in the field that you went to college for. It shows that you had the guts to get your degree........ Education is Key....Just do it @
!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Keith in Sheffield Lake, Ohio

21 months ago

Hey, so what are the hot jobs and careers now in Cleveland? I have to retrain. Thanks.

21 months ago

Emily in Cleveland, Ohio said: I wish I could take a hidden camera in the Employment Connection(a welfare agency) and film the free workshops they have for employers. Here is a link to their Employer Service Brochure:
jfs.ohio.gov/wotc/TargetGroups.stm

Wow, I'm a single male, been unemployed for over 10 years and I can't even pitch this tax credit benefit to hire me. What's next?! hah

To Beth, about the American/non-American workers. I had college professors who were "visiting instructors" and some here for a certain amount of time before going back to their native countries. So that put out some American citizens of the jobs.

21 months ago

Grandma in Dallas, Texas said: Yes, an education will open doors for you, even if it is not in the field that you went to college for. It shows that you had the guts to get your degree........ Education is Key....Just do it @
!

I actually have thought of moving to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Any chance you could tell me who is hiring and what doors my Bachelor of Electrical Engineer degree will open? Because I'll call them and send them my resume asap.

21 months ago

Marie in Cleveland, Ohio said: ....I wish everyone God speed and good luck in their job hunt. I will continue looking although I do not think my 2 master's degrees and doctorate will be of help to many I am over educated which creates an even bigger issue.

Hi Marie my fellow Cleveland,

I am with you I have only have one college degree, Bachelor of Electrical Engineer. I have been out of a job for over 10 years. I don't think Cleveland is all that good for professional jobs. So I am thinking about Dallas and Austin, Texas. I really don't know why I am looking because I think I pretty much have given up finding a job working for someone.

So with that, wouldn't it be cool if we could start our own business?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Anything in the healthcare field including medical research. There are a lot of Clinical Trial related positions. Call Lakeland Community College and Cleveland State as they both have courses related to this. Cleveland State has come a long way. Speak to a Counselor in one of the related schools at both institutions. It all depends on if you want to be i a leadership role or want to be in the background and rendering support to the efforts of your employer.

21 months ago

Ramona Mangrum in Cleveland, Ohio said: Anything in the healthcare field including medical research. There are a lot of Clinical Trial related positions. Call Lakeland Community College and Cleveland State as they both have courses related to this. Cleveland State has come a long way. Speak to a Counselor in one of the related schools at both institutions. It all depends on if you want to be i a leadership role or want to be in the background and rendering support to the efforts of your employer.

This comment was directed to Keith. Also, have you tried some of the technical schools here to see if they are looking for teachers? With your background in electrical engineering, if you looked to see what was going on the the Neurological research, you may find that area easier to comprehend. Our brains use electrical synapses to send information. Believe it or not, I think this area may be of some interest to someone with your background.

21 months ago

Thanks Ramona could you tell me how you found your mdical information? Firsthand yourself or friends working in the medical field? Classmates? News reports?

I'll check the smaller tech schools. I tried the regular public school systems but I would have to go back pretty much for four more years and get certified. That would make me 60 years old for an entry level position. I'm not sure but I have a good idea how that would go over in their hiring decision. hah

There were no medical related classes at all in electrical engineering. Only a couple of paragraphs about safety issues and how the smallest microcurrent could shock and case a heart attack. Perhaps in special application classes but that would be in grad school.

Since I am 55 I hope I won't have to put in too many years to retrain. Hopefully hospitals and other places will overlook hiring an entry level person that is around 60 years old.

As far as neurological research jobs, don't places tend to hire PH D's? Or at minimum, PH D. candidates? That was the case when I looked at those jobs right after I graduated in 1994 with my Bachelor's.

Unfortunately going to grad school is not an option for me. Besides having to take refresher classes, I just don't have the money to go through a whole program for a new degree.

I thought maybe there was a small handfull, say less then 4-5 classes I could take. Or something where an employer hired me contingent on taking classes they had me go and take.

Thanks again I'll see what a CSU counselor can tell me.

21 months ago

I worked for a medical research institution for a while. I understand your points about not wanting to start an entry level position. I wish there were an organization that provided good career coaching advice in this area. Engineers are in demand all over. It is a shame that you aren't getting any results. Here's another idea what about Lincoln Electric? They have training programs and so does CCC. I sure you thought of that avenue too. Hang in there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Hi Ramona and thanks again for another response. I have no problem starting at an entry level position with entry level pay. I can work at minimum wage. My reasoning is I am willing to work and if it means working up the ladder that is fine. Strange, I said that to some employers but it seems that they always pair off experience with pay and will not stop assuming that I will not work at minimum pay.

Oh yeah I could not get an interview at Lincoln Electric. On-campus interviews as well as on my own. The only on-campus interview that I could get was with Keithley Instruments from Solon but I think they interviewed everyone that asked. I never got a job offer nor did a friend that also got an interview with them.

I live out by Lorain County Community College and just before Christmas I went and checked. Best I can do there is sign up for yet another full program for a new degree or certificate of completion. It is classes in a new building they made, about how manufacturing is done. I researched what the training is and to me it seems like that no company around here has those positions anyway. I've done enough reserch and made enough phone calls to know what just about what eveyone makes and I don't understand how they can say the jobs exist in this area. Unless they know something that will happen 10 years down the road. It did, however, create jobs for peoople to work for the college in that department. Sadly, though, I read recently the college cut back hours of other part-time workers.

They call it upgrading your skills but to me, for people already with a Bachelor's and even some grad school classes, it's more of a change of skills. With this programs I'm not upgrading or honing my current skills. I would be learning different skills that require lesser engineering, math, and science.

PS - are you the lawyer or is that someone else with the same name? Are you still trying the medical field? How about The Cleveland Clinic?

21 months ago

I have not practiced law in years. The contracts I have done are specifically related to medical research. Most of the clinic's contracts jobs are in other parts of their operations.

I could have sworn I saw an posting with a medical device company for an electrical engineer. Do a search on medical device companies in Cleveland. There are a number of them now. There are different search engines dedicated to the pharma/bio-medical field. If you do a search for search engines in this area, you will pull up a number of them. I can't remember where I saw it. Keep trying. Hey, what else can we do?

21 months ago

Hi, I'm sure you did see that ad. The problem is that I don't have enough of the right experience they desire, if that makes sense. In my case having a degree has not really opened the doors.

I'm on an old computer and going to build a new one then I'll be able to look at every web page. Some of these job boards use newer technology and a Windows 95 machine just doesn't work on them.

This reminds me of that resaying from Cleveland's mayor. I forget exactly how it goes but I hacked it for job hunters:

"It's not that we don't know what the problems are. We've known them for years. It's not that we don't know what the solutions are. We've known those for years. The problem is employers won't do the right thing about it."

Someone in some of my classes earned the same EE degree as me and then stayed in college and went to Cleveland-Marshall. Perhaps you heard of her, Laura Rxxxx. She has her own practice now.

21 months ago

Here is one www.middough.com/Careers/Cleveland,-OH-(Headquarters)/Electrical-Power-Systems-Engineer.aspx

21 months ago

Thank you for all of the suggestions and help. I'ts been awhile since I tried Middough but I can try again. They wouldn't hire me.

I don't want to mislead you I think I should just quit the job hunting thing and try to start my own business or freelance type of work. I came on this forum not too long ago out of boredom and thought I would give the EE jobhunting one last ditch effort.

Is there anything I can help you with? I can refer you to places if I hear about any jobs in your area of expertise.

21 months ago

Hey, we are all in this together right? If I had the funds I would start my own business as well. Also, I have no idea what type of business that would be. You take care and if you see or hear of anything, sure I would appreciate you shooting me a line.

21 months ago

Hi,

Hey you never mentioned the type of work in the medical field I should stay on the lookout for....What type of contract work did you do?

I never used these gel pens before I've become fascinated with them. I want a good pen with good longlasting ink for a lab book.

21 months ago

You ever hear of Boehringer Ingelheim? They do medical stuff. They are on the east side. I tried to get a job there, they would not return my calls. I couldn't get an interview.

21 months ago

Medical Device companies hire electricians to design or implement their designs. I wrote contracts between a medical research institution and pharmaceutical companies and other medical research institutions that were funding the research, working with my employer on research, or obtaining research materials and/or sharing data.

21 months ago

Keith in Sheffield Lake, Ohio said: You ever hear of Boehringer Ingelheim? They do medical stuff. They are on the east side. I tried to get a job there, they would not return my calls. I couldn't get an interview.

BI is a pharmaceutical company. For some reason, pharma will not hire people that worked on the research end of contract drafting. I negotiated and drafted many contracts with them. But, I guess they think it means you were on the other team's side or something. It is a pretty short sighted view, but that is the way things are. I did interview with them a while back. They were going through some type of upheaval at the time. They didn't tell me this but I could tell. It was something in the manner of the folks that interviewed me. You know, an undercurrent. Anyway, I never heard from them again. It could have been a blessing as it seemed some type of power struggle was going on between the guy that would be my boss and this other guy who I would have had to work with/for in some capacity. It would have been stressful I think.

21 months ago

Ramona Mangrum in Cleveland, Ohio said: Medical Device companies hire electricians to design or implement their designs. I wrote contracts between a medical research institution and pharmaceutical companies and other medical research institutions that were funding the research, working with my employer on research, or obtaining research materials and/or sharing data.

Hiya, have a good Wednesday? And wow, who told you that is what electricians do? Electrician work is a skilled labor, where they run wiring through buildings and walls, install and connect up circuit breaker boxes, etc. They usually are in the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) union. I believe they also have a communications section to wire facilities for data and communications.

I'm very surprised, well actually shocked if medical device companies are hiring electricans to implement their designs. You're talking electronic gadgets and devices, right? Test and analyzation equipment? Watch a tv show like "Ask This Old House" and you will see what electricians do.

The IBEW trains the electricians to properly wire up facililities to conform to all of the building codes. They work with 110v, 220v, 440v, and other voltages and power systems. Data and communications are lower voltages.

I doubt very much they learn any detailed theory in circuit design of semiconductors, integrated circuits, and things like that. I'd very surprised if they go any deeper than a broad generalization of this material.

21 months ago

So now my question is, why the heck aren't these medical device companies hiring engineers like me, specifically trained to design electonics circuits, and instead, hiring electricians that are specifically trained to wire power systems in buildings?

Wow, no wonder I could never get any of these places to talk to me. What a total mismatch of people/work. These companies are doing a great dissevice to themselves.

I understand we need both types of people and I installed telephone wiring and systems before I went back to college to become an engineer.

21 months ago

Hey I guess it's a blessing they did not hire me either. And talk about upheavals. Hahaha They'll get alot of this if they are hiring all those unqualified people.

21 months ago

Keith in Sheffield Lake, Ohio said: Hey I guess it's a blessing they did not hire me either. And talk about upheavals. Hahaha They'll get alot of this if they are hiring all those unqualified people.

I don't know if they are hiring electricians. I would think it would be electrical engineers. I just didn't use the proper terminology in my previous post. No, most definitely it would be engineers.

21 months ago

Hey I just thought of a place that mayuse people to write contracts. That Hyland Software place in Westlake.

The only thing I thought I was remotely qualified in doing was writing instruction manuals. I did that at my old job. Same thing there. I applied, I called, I was ignored. Haha

But maybe you'll have better luck than me.

21 months ago

Hey Ramona what do you think of something like this? Yea or Nay?

www.easywork-greatpay.com/home-assembly.php

21 months ago

Ramona Mangrum in Cleveland, Ohio said: I don't know if they are hiring electricians. I would think it would be electrical engineers. I just didn't use the proper terminology in my previous post. No, most definitely it would be engineers.

Hey Ramona do you know anything about the different types of teaching certifications?

I found a private college here that advertised for a teacher. They want someone certified but they also said you only need a high school diploma. I always thought in order to get a teachers job you had to get a certification from the state and that you needed a bachelor's degree.

I'm going to apply and ask about the certification they require.

Thoughts?

=======================================
Education/Experience Needed:
A high school diploma or GED required.
A minimum of three (3) years of related practical work experience in the subject area(s) taught.
Registration, license, or certification as required by the state or accrediting agencies.
Teaching experience desired.
=======================================

lynn Sithia in chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

The reason you are not getting hired using online websites is because they hire only people in the target groups listed on the Govt Labor website. Companies get kickbacks from the Govt when hiring people who fit in these categories which include felony background, welfare recipients or people on TANF, minority groups or any race beside white and veterans who deserve it the most. I bet you thought when you answer know to the felony question you feel proud and feel like its to your favor but you are so wrong. I suggest when answering these end questions, don't or under race or ethnicity click other then write in human. Target groups are to help the govt reduce welfare cost and crime but how is it working for the GOVT when these college students that are 50k-100k in student loans and cannot pay them back because they are white non criminals and discriminated every time they try to get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lynn Sithia in chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

Siobhanne in Thomson, Georgia said: I have applied for jobs that I am well qualified for but without any result at all. My concern is that it might be related to my age or my previous income level ( I am 50). Most jobs I have applied for ask questions concerning WOTC qualificiations. I am not member of ANY of the target groups. According to the questionaire, the answers to these questions do not affect hiring decisions. That is bull. If you were an employer and had to choose between two applicants, one of which would get you a huge tax credit , and the other zilch.. who would you pick? The sad thing is that the companies who do this generally abuse the tax credit by a). Maximizing tax credits by deliberately keeping the company a revolving door ( no emphasis on retention of employee) or b). Reimbursing the employee at such a low rate that the employee continues to qualify for TANF, Medicaid, WIC vouchers etc.. not solving the problems that WOTC was created to address in the first place.

Wow, you are figuring it all out! The answers do matter and I agree companies abuse this credit by hiring people in the target group and find ways to get them out so they can get more. The trick is knowing someone and asking for their help to get a job.

disgusted in North Olmsted, Ohio

19 months ago

Mitch Ryder in Eastlake, Ohio said: No jobs is Cleveland big shock there, Cleveland is a DEAD city . Yet the Powers to be are going to build a $430 million dollar Med Mart and convention center. For what? Nobodu wants to come here, people are leaving in droves. Take the $430 million dollars and build the shipping docks, or something that will creat jobs for everybody, not jubs jobs for people that already have them. Where are all these stimulus jobs at? You see any? Anywhere? I don't i see signed on the freeway about your Stimulus Jobs at work, but the people doing them already had jobs, they just got more work, and didn't hire anybody. They say the house market is bad, the retail market is bad. Well no kidding, who is going to buy a house or a flat screen TV when unemployment is at 10% but others say its closer to 17% NOBODY. So until the fat politicions relize, things like we don't need a MED-MART. WE NEED JOBS, and as long as you got the same people incharge, you get the same results. You know way? Because they HAVE jobs and they don't care about you or I.

You are so right...all of these major companies that laid off 100s of people, and then had the fortunate people who were left behind do the work of 3 people lest they are put out too, learned that they did not need to rehire. The economy took a turn for the better because of stimulus monies etc. and these major companies turned around and didn't hire back those whom they laid off and if they are hiring anyone at all it is a very cheap workforce. I have so much education, work history running million dollar companies, and exceptional organizational, communication and people skills and I can't even get in the door. I used to make $125,000 a year and now I am lucky to even be reading about jobs that pay $40,000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ursie in Maple Heights, Ohio

8 months ago

lynn Sithia in chicago, Illinois said: The reason you are not getting hired using online websites is because they hire only people in the target groups listed on the Govt Labor website. Companies get kickbacks from the Govt when hiring people who fit in these categories which include felony background, welfare recipients or people on TANF, minority groups or any race beside white and veterans who deserve it the most. I bet you thought when you answer know to the felony question you feel proud and feel like its to your favor but you are so wrong. I suggest when answering these end questions, don't or under race or ethnicity click other then write in human. Target groups are to help the govt reduce welfare cost and crime but how is it working for the GOVT when these college students that are 50k-100k in student loans and cannot pay them back because they are white non criminals and discriminated every time they try to get a job?

Well I’m a black no criminal history sans few speeding tickets and I have never been a recipient of benefits. I have excellent interviewing skills, college degree (with the loans to prove it), and have been working in my field for over ten years. I am having the same issue as many of the people on this post. I do agree that the hiring choices are more so based off of statistics than ability, just not the way that you do.

8 months ago

Patrick in Cleveland, Ohio said: I feel you. The job market is so poor that hiring managers are being awfully picky about candidates. I've had a 3 interviews in the past couple months for jobs that I was EASILY qualified for but did not get the job. Each and every time it was because they believed my skills were strong but more suited for such and such areas.

BTW I'm only two years out of college and it's really frustrating because even the entry level positions are hard to get into.

I'd recommend checking out his networking group:
finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/CVJS/

The next meeting is on Monday.

Good Luck!

Maybe it's the 200-250 applicants for every entry level job . . . & some of those applicants have Master's degrees?

8 months ago

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio said: Hey you're not alone. My field is also the same way ( Electrical Engineer ). I've been out of a job for six years (and counting).

I've been out of college since 1994, and jobs were just as scarce then as it has been the last six years.

Maybe do like me; change careers. The bad thing is that it will be less pay. But it is better than nothing.

Do people in your business /marketing jobs employ many temporary/visa type workers? I see that way too much in engineering .

Problem is, what career doesn't have the same issues, lots of competition, age discrimination, etc?

8 months ago

Emily in Cleveland, Ohio said: I wish I could take a hidden camera in the Employment Connection(a welfare agency) and film the free workshops they have for employers. Here is a link to their Employer Service Brochure:

www.city.cleveland.oh.us/government/departments/econdev/wfdev/City%20of%20Cleve%204%20pager.pdf

I'm sure they are happy to inform the employers about the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) Program.

The Work Opportunity Tax Credit Program is a federal tax credit which provides Ohio employers with a tax credit against their federal tax liability for hiring individuals from nine target groups of disadvantaged job seekers. Tax credits range from $1,200 to $2,400 for all WOTC target groups. Employers may receive a maximum credit of up to $9,000 per eligible employee for the Long Term IV-A target group.

jfs.ohio.gov/wotc/

Sick. Isn't it? I don't think anybody can get any help from the social workers until the person has been out of work so long almost anybody would be in foreclosure. Disgusting.

I get the creepy feeling the employers are waiting for the U.S. citizen job seeker to be a "Long-Term IV-A Assistance Recipient" so they can get the $9,000 tax credit. I am concerned that the family needs to on TANF at least 18 months. 18 months is a long time for a family to be on TANF.

jfs.ohio.gov/wotc/TargetGroups.stm

I am also concerned that nobody seems to be checking these tax credits for abuse. What happens when the employer gets the credit? Based on what I have read the employer only has to keep the person long enough to get the tax credit. Then nobody seems to care what happens next. I notice a lot of people seem to change jobs every 2 years.

Interesting. Cle's "Employment Connection" has changed ownership @ least 3x in 10 years; look it up under the name, Spherion, in 2014, an employment agency. Unfortunately, there are no incentives for companies to hire seniors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

8 months ago

Yo Hwan in Salmiya, Kuwait said: Hi im a high student and i have a question...do we really need to go to a good college to get a good job?

Define "a good job." I got a degree in veterinary medicine, which I LOVED. Unfortunately, veterinarians are clueless about business & often dislike humans (employees). I was a GOOD technician, but the on site trained employees were permitted to harass those of us w/degrees. There was no management, no leadership, & bullying was a constant. Working conditions are MORE important than a job itself. Best job I had was as cashier @ a thrift store because the manager was astute w/zero tolerance for bullies. My college education did NOT lead to a "good job."

8 months ago

Emily in Cleveland, Ohio said: This was posted by www.youtube.com/user/programmersguild on June 16, 2007.

Immigration attorneys from Cohen & Grigsby explains how they assist employers in running classified ads with the goal of NOT finding any qualified applicants, and the steps they go through to disqualify even the most qualified Americans in order to secure green cards for H-1b workers. See what Bush and Congress really mean by a "shortage of skilled U.S. workers." Microsoft, Oracle, Hewlett-Packard, and thousands of other companies are running fake ads in Sunday newspapers across the country each week.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

Like employment agencies. Their employees must have quotas for new "talent," so they sign us up w/no intention of ever helping us find jobs.

8 months ago

a monster of god in Cleveland, Ohio said: wow... so mad that you you have to pick on something that is serious

I think it is just a suggestion that you should improve on your keyboarding & sentence construction. Any job club person will mention the importance of grammar & composition on a resume.

8 months ago

Emily in Cleveland, Ohio said: We need to stop falling into the trap that our greedy leaders and business people have set for us in the resume workshops. They can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the time.

I have been told I have poor social skills. Well, ha, ha. What is the Americans with Disability Act for? Why should I or anybody have to be perfect to keep a job in the U.S? I thought we were suppose to be the place that gives all people a chance.

They never tell me to apply for social security. I find it interesting how I am told over and over again I don't get jobs because I am doing something wrong. If I am that disabled they should refer me to the social security office for disability checks since I have such poor people skills.

I have seen stories in the media about disabled people who get special job training, and with "reasonable accomodations" and are able to keep a job. Then when the disabled people I know ask social workers where they can find this job a disabled person can do, the social worker will act like he or she doesn't know anything.

It's like if you aren't already in "the system," no one wants to add you.

8 months ago

Guy in Ohio in Cleveland, Ohio said: Missy -

what do you expect companies to do? If there are 100 people applying for a job instead of 50, of course they are going to be a bit pickier. Are you not as qualified as some of your peers?

Companies don't hire based on skills, education & experience. Resumes are useless in a meat market environment. Companies hire as if they are auditioning dates or recruiting for the staff clique/gang. The only qualification is youth & eye candy, male & female.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.