"Senior Citizen Employment"

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

brominds in columbia, South Carolina

72 months ago

When it comes to employment, its very sad when widows, especially seniors, can't find a job, especially when they rach the age of 59, as I have. I can't even find a position as appointment setter. I even applied for a greeter position, at a Walmart, with no luck. I am either under qualifid, or over qualified for a position, especially, if I've never held such a psition, like; greeter, housekeeping. I've never held any other kinds of positions, since the age of 16 yrs. old. Its one thing that I've come to realize, employees are always better off, if they try working different kinds of jobs, in their life time. Why? You will never know when or if you may need to look for another kind of employment, than what you're used to doing. Anyone else feel the same? brominds

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pastor P in Chester, South Carolina

66 months ago

brominds in columbia, South Carolina said: When it comes to employment, its very sad when widows, especially seniors, can't find a job, especially when they rach the age of 59, as I have. I can't even find a position as appointment setter. I even applied for a greeter position, at a Walmart, with no luck. I am either under qualifid, or over qualified for a position, especially, if I've never held such a psition, like; greeter, housekeeping. I've never held any other kinds of positions, since the age of 16 yrs. old. Its one thing that I've come to realize, employees are always better off, if they try working different kinds of jobs, in their life time. Why? You will never know when or if you may need to look for another kind of employment, than what you're used to doing. Anyone else feel the same? brominds

I totally understand your dilemma. I am 58 have a BS degree in Psychology, have worked about the last 12 years in social work settings and now since government funding and grants have been pulled from non-profit agencies I cannot find a job doing anything but clerical as in my church as the secretary which by no means pays my bills. Am still looking for part-time or full-time employment while I am in seminary working toward my Ordination as a Nazarene minister. I will pray for your situation. Have you tried AARP jobs in your area?PastorP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ssymmons@aol.com in Columbia, South Carolina

31 months ago

I have worked in the same field for 27 years, a BS in business administration 2 yrs in the Air Force Reserve and cannot find employment. I am offered 10.00 are sent a denial saying they have found someone, more qualify than me, how can you maintain yourself with no other income? I have not been employed since 01/11. I am a professional biller/collection and also, have worked as a practice manager, administrative assistance and customer service. Any ideas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.