Concern for Dayton's Economy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

mtl31 in Troy, Ohio

70 months ago

What is going to happen to Dayton, Ohio?? GM is all but gone, DHL--going soon. We need answers and I dont think we can rely on our politicians!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shay in Dayton, Ohio

69 months ago

We are going to be a dead city soon, everyone is going to lose their jobs and we are going to have to move out of Ohio. Sorry to say but I bet you that is what is going to happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DC in San Antonio, Texas

68 months ago

I have been traveling back and forth from San Antonio to Dayton for almost a year. From my observations it appears that Dayton failed to diversify out of a manufacturing economy...so many jobs appear to have been manufacturing related in the Dayton area. As of Feb. 2009, San Antonio has barely felt the recession many areas of the country are going through currently. Recently the San Antonio media reported the population of San Antonio is still growing by over 3000 people per month due to people moving here, while cities like Dayton are experiencing declining populations. There is business and residential constuction still in many areas of San Antonio. Dayton appears to have failed to diversify it's economy....healthcare, professional services (doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc.), petroleum related industries, biotechnology, military, food services, tourism, insurance and financial sevices are just a few of the industries that have helped San Antonio. As an example, last time I was in Dayton I told someone about all the call centers San Antonio has and they laughed saying those are low paying dead end jobs without realizing many of those call centers are financial or insurance industry related and pay is greater than the median income for a household in either Dayton or San Antonio...many paying mid $30's to mid $40's per year per person and employee tens of thousands of people in San Antonio while the cost of living in San Antonio is very low. Dayton is a very beautiful city it is ashame they didn't diversify away from what appears to have been largely a manufacturing economy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

unknown first part/T.C. second part

48 months ago

DC in San Antonio, Texas said: I have been traveling back and forth from San Antonio to Dayton for almost a year. From my observations it appears that Dayton failed to diversify out of a manufacturing economy...so many jobs appear to have been manufacturing related in the Dayton area. As of Feb. 2009, San Antonio has barely felt the recession many areas of the country are going through currently. Recently the San Antonio media reported the population of San Antonio is still growing by over 3000 people per month due to people moving here, while cities like Dayton are experiencing declining populations. There is business and residential constuction still in many areas of San Antonio. Dayton appears to have failed to diversify it's economy....healthcare, professional services (doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc.), petroleum related industries, biotechnology, military, food services, tourism, insurance and financial sevices are just a few of the industries that have helped San Antonio. As an example, last time I was in Dayton I told someone about all the call centers San Antonio has and they laughed saying those are low paying dead end jobs without realizing many of those call centers are financial or insurance industry related and pay is greater than the median income for a household in either Dayton or San Antonio...many paying mid $30's to mid $40's per year per person and employee tens of thousands of people in San Antonio while the cost of living in San Antonio is very low. Dayton is a very beautiful city it is ashame they didn't diversify away from what appears to have been largely a manufacturing economy.

You are right, Dayton is always talking about their progress, it seems to me that they have managed to digress and those of us who are left either don't have the knowledge of what to do nor the financial support. One of the largest employers in the Dayton are is an Insurance company which insure welfare receipents. Go figure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.