Clinical Social Worker

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Maryland to Westminster in Westminster, Colorado

51 months ago

Looking for opportunities in Clinical Social Work in the Denver Metro. Have been on several interviews, but no call backs. I've never had a problem finding a job before. Do you think there is an issue with me be a black professional here? I just don't know what to think anymore. I guess I'm fairly unique here, but thought social workers would be open minded. Just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: I don't know anything about getting a social worker job but I know a little about getting a job in Denver. Based on many years of experience trying to find jobs in Denver, it's hard! Much different than other areas.

I've never been able to put my finger on it, but something about Denver employers makes them hostile and haughty. They were hostile and haughty even before the massive newcomer influx of 15-25 years ago. Couple a glut of well qualified people and a dearth of jobs and one has a difficult employment market. I seriously doubt that being black is the issue.

Finally, Colorado in general has been pro business and somewhat anti employee for many years. Just consider the governor's veto of legislation that would have union organizing shortly after he was inaugurated. That veto was a big surprise when he promised unions more attention during his campaign.

Well, that is absolutely reassuring and gives me hope in this situation. I've fallen in love with life in the metro and don't want to move back. It's sad that highly qualified people have such a difficult time. Thanks for your comments, because I was really feeling down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Displaced Legal Professional in Denver, Colorado said: Sure. Again, I don't know a blessed thing about getting a social worker job, but have you considered trying hospitals and the school systems? You're not that far from Boulder; maybe you can try there too.

Good luck with your job search.

I have had several interviews at hospitals here, apparently my resume is somewhat impressive or they want to know why I moved here.. LOL. I have gotten about 4 interviews a month since March, but no bites. Oh, well it will happen or I will open a private practice. Thanks for your comments and good luck with your search, as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

zolo2 in Seattle, Washington

40 months ago

Maryland to Westminster in Westminster, Colorado said: I have had several interviews at hospitals here, apparently my resume is somewhat impressive or they want to know why I moved here.. LOL. I have gotten about 4 interviews a month since March, but no bites. Oh, well it will happen or I will open a private practice. Thanks for your comments and good luck with your search, as well.

Probably a better idea if you request the info from actual social workers who haven't been unemployed forever. Working social workers are experts in finding and keeping their jobs and knowing the reality of the job searches. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.