Part-time work and unemployment

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

tazzy in Denver, Colorado

19 months ago

I'm new to collecting unemployment in Colorado. I accepted a part time job which is really far from my house. I still collect partial benefits. If I'm offered a better part time job somewhere else will it affect me collecting benefits? Can I switch jobs and not have it affect unemployment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tazzy in Denver, Colorado

19 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: Probably the materials you received from the Division of Labor and Employment stated that one should work as much as possible to conserve benefits - at least mine did. So IMO switching part-time jobs should not impact your benies, except that a better paying job will result in a lesser offset being paid by the State.

You may want to check on what constitutes a part time job for the purposes of collecting unemployment. If your new job is more than thirty hours a week, the State may regard it as full time.

My book wasn't much help for this topic and I've been trying to reach someone for 2 days and the message always says no one is available and to call back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

19 months ago

I dug out my copy of the "Unemployment Insurance Handbook for Claimants." Full disclosure: This book is from 2006. Policies may have changed, but I really doubt it for this situation. Here is what it says about part-time work:

What If I Am Working?

Any employment (full-time, part-time, temporary assignments, short-term contracts, volunteer work, or cash-in-hand jobs such as mowing lawns and babysitting) MUST be reported when you call CUBLine to request payment for UI benefits.

Working 32 or more hours per week [I thought it was 30 - I wasn't too far off] is considered full-time employment. If you work 32 or more hours in any given week, UI benefits will not be paid for that week.

You may earn, in gross wages, up to 25 percent of your WBA in any given week before the earning have any effect on the UI benefits for that week. Any earnings over that amount, but less than your WBA, are subtracted dollar-for-dollar from that week's UI benefits. Once your earnings in a given week equal or exceed your WBA, UI benefits will not be paid for that week. However, UI benefits that cannot be paid based on hours or earnings are not subtracted from your MBA; rather, they remain in your claim for your use later on during the benefit year should you need them.

Hope that helps somewhat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tazzy in Westminster, Colorado

19 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: I dug out my copy of the "Unemployment Insurance Handbook for Claimants." Full disclosure: This book is from 2006. Policies may have changed, but I really doubt it for this situation. Here is what it says about part-time work:

What If I Am Working?

Any employment (full-time, part-time, temporary assignments, short-term contracts, volunteer work, or cash-in-hand jobs such as mowing lawns and babysitting) MUST be reported when you call CUBLine to request payment for UI benefits.

Working 32 or more hours per week [I thought it was 30 - I wasn't too far off] is considered full-time employment. If you work 32 or more hours in any given week, UI benefits will not be paid for that week.

You may earn, in gross wages, up to 25 percent of your WBA in any given week before the earning have any effect on the UI benefits for that week. Any earnings over that amount, but less than your WBA, are subtracted dollar-for-dollar from that week's UI benefits. Once your earnings in a given week equal or exceed your WBA, UI benefits will not be paid for that week. However, UI benefits that cannot be paid based on hours or earnings are not subtracted from your MBA; rather, they remain in your claim for your use later on during the benefit year should you need them.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Thank for the info. Now they just send you a 5 page booklet. What I'm confused about it, my last job closed down and that's why I'm collecting unemployment. I just accepted a part time job I hate and want to switch to a different place. Does that affect me collecting? I've only been here a week. I just don't know if you can switch jobs without it affecting the claim from the previous employer.

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

19 months ago

IMO it shouldn't make any difference if you change jobs. Again OMO but the determining factors appear to be earnings and hours. Work 32 or more hours, and no benies. Up to 25 percent of WBA before offsets trigger.

I'm getting on my soapbox, but who has ever heard of a full-time job being only 32 hours? I should have worked such hours in all the years I worked.

Best of luck with your efforts.

jzkemler in Arvada, Colorado

2 months ago

Hi Tazzy,
What was the outcome of your issue? I am having the exact same issue and wondered if my ui benefits would continue if I switch part time jobs?

Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.