Best companies to work for in Grand Rapids?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

What companies are fueling growth in Grand Rapids? Why are they a great employer?

Reply - Report abuse

in the know in Pittsburg, Illinois

81 months ago

I have heard that Ridgeview Industries is good. I have also heard that Middleville Tool and Die (although this is not in Grand Rapids, but just outside) is good and Borish on the South East side of town. In the non-manufacturiing arena, Bethany Christian Services gets high marks.

In talking with people that work for these companies, they are supposed to be stable, with a good culture, family friendly companies that appreciate the talent that works for them. They do business in an ethical manner and are run by people with character. Almost to a person the people at these companies are proud to work where they do and feel like valued assets to their employer.

On another note,, a company that I would have added to this list in the past, Pridgeon and Clay, I hear from several sources is not a good company to work for any more. In the last 3 or 4 years they have had a change in culture and are now a place that devalues their employees and (gasp) mistreat thier customers!
I dont know what is going on there but I would hope they would do what is needed to get back thier once excellent reputation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles DeBrie in Grand Rapids, Michigan

80 months ago

I thought about applying at P&C, I have a friend who was fired for refusal to work a double shift Christmas Eve. So I too feel that they have lost the FAMILY outlook. Other companies' that I've noticed, that have done this, are not around anymore...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Grand Rapids, Michigan

80 months ago

in the know in Pittsburg, Illinois said: I have heard that Ridgeview Industries is good. I have also heard that Middleville Tool and Die (although this is not in Grand Rapids, but just outside) is good and Borish on the South East side of town. In the non-manufacturiing arena, Bethany Christian Services gets high marks.

In talking with people that work for these companies, they are supposed to be stable, with a good culture, family friendly companies that appreciate the talent that works for them. They do business in an ethical manner and are run by people with character. Almost to a person the people at these companies are proud to work where they do and feel like valued assets to their employer.

On another note,, a company that I would have added to this list in the past, Pridgeon and Clay, I hear from several sources is not a good company to work for any more. In the last 3 or 4 years they have had a change in culture and are now a place that devalues their employees and (gasp) mistreat thier customers!
I dont know what is going on there but I would hope they would do what is needed to get back thier once excellent reputation.

Ridgeview Industries is going through a UNION organizing campaign right now! They have changed their treatment of employees for the worst. You should see the place now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

parrothead86 in Pittsburg, Illinois

80 months ago

That is really to bad.

We were taught in Business school that if a union comes into your plant it is a sign of failure in management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ridgeview fan in Saugatuck, Michigan

77 months ago

parrothead86 in Pittsburg, Illinois said: That is really to bad.

We were taught in Business school that if a union comes into your plant it is a sign of failure in management.

I was taught that it meant a failure of mediocre workers to keep their jobs in a tight economy.Unions are big fans of lazy workers. They are the first to be let go when cuts must be made. Ridgeview is a great company to work for and continues to remain loyal to its workers. My husband has worked there for 10 years and God willing, will be there for 25 more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Done but not finished in Grand Rapids, Michigan

73 months ago

Unions are the reason people ,union and non-union alike, make the money they do. So , if you think unions have never done anything for you, then you are wrong! Unions do not cater to mediocre workers, but to those that want fairness for ALL workers. As for Ridgeview, watch for an upcoming article in the GR Press to see what is really going on there. The company has taken the attitude that they can use and abuse their employees and because the econamy is sour, these people have to take it. When things were good and jobs were plentiful RVI treated people well, but now, thats not the case.We will continue our Union organizing efforts soon. We are planning on picketing the conpany with news coverage. It is quite common in W-Michigan to control workers and wave a bible at them if they don't agree with your tactics. We were FORCED to attend MANDATORY quarterly meetings where the owner expressed His religious values that alot of us did not agree with.Is that legal?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

would like to have a decent job. in Grand Rapids, Michigan

70 months ago

Host said: What companies are fueling growth in Grand Rapids? Why are they a great employer?

The job marketin grand rapids sucks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

goodapple in Grand Haven, Michigan

43 months ago

I had worked for RVI for several years. I was let go along with many others in 2009 in a permanent layoff. All companies have their issues. RVI also had theirs. I will always be grateful for the time I worked there. I feel I was treated fairly and respected as an employee until the last couple of years.
I had always found the president to be sincere and his faith in God strong. I admire him for this. I wish the best for RVI in the future and hope they can return to the culyure in their mission statement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

goodapple in Grand Haven, Michigan

43 months ago

I had worked for RVI for several years. I was let go along with many others in 2009 in a permanent layoff. All companies have their issues. RVI also had theirs. I will always be grateful for the time I worked there. I feel I was treated fairly and respected as an employee until the last couple of years.
I had always found the president to be sincere and his faith in God strong. I admire him for this. I wish the best for RVI in the future and hope they can return to the culture in their mission statement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ridgeview fan

42 months ago

goodapple in Grand Haven, Michigan said: I had worked for RVI for several years. I was let go along with many others in 2009 in a permanent layoff. All companies have their issues. RVI also had theirs. I will always be grateful for the time I worked there. I feel I was treated fairly and respected as an employee until the last couple of years.
I had always found the president to be sincere and his faith in God strong. I admire him for this. I wish the best for RVI in the future and hope they can return to the culture in their mission statement.

Good Apple, Ridgeview is hiring through temp agencies now and often hiring these workers permanantly. Give it a try, if you haven't already.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.