Moving to Greenville - how did you get here?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 135)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

Reply - Report abuse

coppockgroup@yahoo.com in Greenville, South Carolina

87 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?
Moved from Jupiter Fl. Not the planet. If I had it to do over I would have not moved here at all! I would have moved to Charleston Sc instead! The people here are not at all friendly. And unless you go to their church the will hardly speak to you. Not a Good move for my family!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

ken pruestel in Warwick, New York

83 months ago

coppockgroup@yahoo.com in Greenville, South Carolina said: Moved from Jupiter Fl. Not the planet. If I had it to do over I would have not moved here at all! I would have moved to Charleston Sc instead! The people here are not at all friendly. And unless you go to their church the will hardly speak to you. Not a Good move for my family!

do you still live there ...we live in new jersey and thinking about the moving...and how is it now....please let me know kenpruestel@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Greenville, South Carolina

83 months ago

ken pruestel in Warwick, New York said: do you still live there ...we live in new jersey and thinking about the moving...and how is it now....please let me know kenpruestel@yahoo.com

Funny that you should ask! We are packing the truck next fri. to move to the Coast. The people here are rude,they stick to themselves,they don't speak to you when you say hello! We have been to the coast several times and everyone we meet there has been very nice,and told us not to judge SC by the upstate. They said that the Upstate,was not SC !!! On the coast we have found great people!! I would recomend looking there,but not here! Hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon L. Miracle in Greenville, South Carolina

82 months ago

I disgree with Rob. I've lived in the Upstate since 1999 (I'm originally from NYC). Yeah, there is an undercurrent of "anti-Yankee-ism" here and there, especially at small companies and among people who don't have a lot of education, but if you come here with a "when in Rome" attitude, people are nice. If you're expecting the Northeast or Florida and/or you come her with a 'tude, then you'll be disappointed. As for Charleston and/or Savannah, I wouldn't move anywhere that "old money" if you paid me. They don't want change or diversity like Greenville does. They want things to stay just as they are, and that doesn't bode well for employment. I met a couple up here FROM CHARLESTON and they moved and opened a spa in GREENVILLE, because no one will do business with you down there if you're not "old money." No thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

sandy

82 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

I moved here from youngstown,ohio because of my daughter & granchildren I feel the people are very friendly but the med ins and drivers are out rages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in New Milford, Connecticut

81 months ago

We are planning to relocate to Greenville and am curious as to how difficult it would be find employment. We are looking in the areas of Greer and Simpsonville.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sue in Sarasota, Florida

79 months ago

coppockgroup@yahoo.com in Greenville, South Carolina said: Moved from Jupiter Fl. Not the planet. If I had it to do over I would have not moved here at all! I would have moved to Charleston Sc instead! The people here are not at all friendly. And unless you go to their church the will hardly speak to you. Not a Good move for my family!

We moved to Greenville only lasted 4 months and I am happy to say moved back "home" to Florida. The people in Greenville are very prejudice, if you don't go to church, or didn't attend Furman, or your family isn't from Greenville you are ousted. We found other people that also relocated there felt the same way. We are very very happy to be back in Florida!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

sue in Sarasota, Florida

79 months ago

Sharon L. Miracle in Greenville, South Carolina said: I disgree with Rob. I've lived in the Upstate since 1999 (I'm originally from NYC). Yeah, there is an undercurrent of "anti-Yankee-ism" here and there, especially at small companies and among people who don't have a lot of education, but if you come here with a "when in Rome" attitude, people are nice. If you're expecting the Northeast or Florida and/or you come her with a 'tude, then you'll be disappointed. As for Charleston and/or Savannah, I wouldn't move anywhere that "old money" if you paid me. They don't want change or diversity like Greenville does. They want things to stay just as they are, and that doesn't bode well for employment. I met a couple up here FROM CHARLESTON and they moved and opened a spa in GREENVILLE, because no one will do business with you down there if you're not "old money." No thanks!

I'm glad you are happy in Greenville, we moved from Florida to Greenville and no we dont have the 'tude as you call it. You see in Florida we have people that move here from all over the US and we treat everyone here equal. You can't way that about Greenville. They oust you if you didn't grow up in Greenville, if you didn't go to Furman, or "daddy" isnt a judge, lawyer, attorney - we are happy to be back in Florida which everyone is treated equal and with respect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

sue in Sarasota, Florida

79 months ago

Cindy in New Milford, Connecticut said: We are planning to relocate to Greenville and am curious as to how difficult it would be find employment. We are looking in the areas of Greer and Simpsonville.

We moved to Greenville in March with a job ready for my husband, he worked their one month and as I was traveling to Greenville with the moving company the company he worked for said they were going in a different direction and let him go. He has been in this line of business for over 25 years and made this company a profit during the month he was there. It was a yankee/southern thing, we are originally for the New England area. If you didn't grow up in Greenville, or go to college there you are ousted. We had very hard times trying to find jobs and packed up and headed back to Florida - happy to say we are "home" and love it.
Be very careful and check into everything before making the commitment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

BordentownCity in Burlington, New Jersey

77 months ago

I have plans on moving to Greenville, SC, mainly in the downtown Main Street area. I know the cost is little higher than the surrounding areas of the city. I find it a fun place to be. My daughter works for her uncle at Restaurant O which is closing however they are working on opening a new one at the same location.

While I am searching for a place to live in the area, I am keeping in mind with the fact it may be hard to find work. I am retiring with the State in July 2009.

Happy New Year to everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rosaura Batista in yonkers, New York

70 months ago

i am 25 years old and i have two children and a husband who is 26. we like in Yonkers NY and cant take how dangerous and expensive it has gotten to live here. we want to move to greenville but i have my doubts because of my family up here. i want to know how hard it is to get a job, considering im a banker for chase and my husband a jack of all trades per say..

i'm terrified for my children to grow up here and i want a place where my son can go out and play. i want to own a house but i want to rent one first. please someone out there give me ur opinions and let me know so i can finally start this process.
thank you

Rosie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

SAI in Easley, South Carolina

70 months ago

I have to agree with the poster above.
We moved here from West Palm Beach, Fla. in '97 and are still treated as outsiders by the locals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

But my question is. Is it safer for my family to live there than in the ghetto of yonkers ny. Because this place is worse than what they describe in the movies. If being treated like an outsider is the worse part bout greenville SC. Than here I come asap!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sai in Easley, South Carolina

70 months ago

The plus's of living here should def. outweigh most negative then. You will be able to let your kids play outside here, ride bikes & go to school w/o worrying yourself sick. I know that was a big thing for us with our children. South Fla has gotten to dangerous for kids.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

robertC in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

70 months ago

I moved to Greenville with my family and we have never been so miserable in a place. We left a little over a year ago( moved to the coast) and have never been so Happy. I understand wanting safety for your family, But my question to you is why not look for somewhere that your family can find both? You only have one life, There are great locations that will offer you a happy,safe, friendly place to live with opportunities to make a living. Also moving is expensive, it is much cheaper to move once than twice! If you want to live in the South there are great towns in Tennessee,like Knoxville and Chattanooga . Birmingham Alabama is nice, there are several great areas in Virginia. I would recommend further research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

But y. What was making u unhappy. If u don't mind me asking?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

The people were so unfriendly. It was heartbreaking for my wife and I to watch as children would come up to our s 4 year old and ask him where he went to church, and if the answer was wrong then they would turn away or worst their parents would remove them because they were playing with the evil child who did not go to their church. The people would be only superficially nice to you in public, but really wanted to have nothing to do with you. We had a family over to play and cook dinner for them, during the day the first thing that they wanted to know was about our religious beliefs, we went to a different christian denomination than them so after that they would not speak to us.It happened to us so much that we ended up not wanting to leave the house. We would go to Whole foods just to speak to people. One day my son asked me id the deli man at the whole foods was his uncle,because he was the closest thing we had to a friend.
We started to believe that it was us and for what ever reason we were unlikeable, and it was all our fault because it was inconceivable that that many people were unfriendly. Now that we have moved we are ourselves again, my son has a ton of friends and playmates, we have so many friends that it is hard to keep up with them and getting together. It took us a little while yo get over the shock that people were nice.
There is No amount of money that could ever make me move my family back to Greenville. Seriously if you offered me 500 million a year in salary but I had to live in Greenville I would turn it down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I would look at Knoxville tn, it is a nice size city, there is a major university so that it is used to diversity. the cost of living is relatively low and employment traditionally has been steady. There are several small towns surrounding Knoxville, Sevierville which has a ton of tourism dollars influx which is good.
A lot of people like Columbia SC, it is a bit humid in the summer though.
Roanoke Va is a nice town in the mountains, and several of the smaller towns around Washington DC have great lifestyle points, Steady income from government and a commute that is not bad.
I would Google best towns to live in America Plus what ever else is important to you,Family,biking,jobs,culture...and see what comes up.Also you may want to look around where you live, or even the other coast. My Wife has family in Oregon and they love it there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

???? in Yonkers, New York

70 months ago

whats wrong with yonkers??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Ummm. Where do I start or do u wnat the what's not wrong with yonkers list its shorter. I want u guys to do something and lookup the crime rate. In this city. I moved to this apt that I pay 1200a month in aug. I got drug dealers downstairs upstairs and everywhere we walk someone is strung out infront of my building. My car got slammed into by someone who decided to drive drunk. Our apt got broken into two months ago and they took electronics. A man got shot in broad daylight up the street another got shot because he told someone to fix their loud car. And not to menthion the execution of a teenager right in the face!in front of a fire house!!!!! Two blocks from here!! To own a house it a down payment of 25000 for a house in the bad area! Gas is ridiculous!! Its almost 3 dollars a gallon. Whichis not bad considering last summer it was almost 5. Do u want me to keep going. Let me not even start about the school system!!! The cops don't care TEN buildings burned down cuz a crack head started a fire and TEN buildings burned three people died included a 2 month old with the firehouse 30 feet away!!!! Do u want more??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

2 Years In Greenville in Greenville, South Carolina

69 months ago

I moved to Greenville from Miami and it is the best thing I ever did. The people in the Upstate are friendly, helpful and wonderful -- and I am not a church-goer, don't have racial or Yankee prejudice (I grew up in the Northeast), didn't attend a Southern college and vote mostly Democratic! I find people here great to deal with and live near. I don't know what part of the Upstate you are all talking about, but the North Main neighborhood in Greenville is absolutely GREAT! I hope I get to live here the rest of my life (and I have also lived in the Berkshires, Sarasota, St Pete and Austin!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Livin' in the COLD mountains in Hendersonville, North Carolina

68 months ago

I plan to move down the mountain to Greenville from NC next year, and love the town. I think you could live anywhere and find prejudices but if you have confidence in yourself you will begin to attract like-minded people.
I can actually see myself helping to form a spiritual (not religious) community there through my work as a Healing Touch practitioner. It all has to start somewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sherry in Osprey, Florida

67 months ago

We have been thinking about moving to greenville. My husband has lived in sarasota fl. since he was two and we are now living in osprey fl. in sarasota county. I have lived in nebraska, missouri, michigan, texas, alabama,& greensboro nc, I was either a student or a college teacher in the states listed. We attended a class reunion this month in sarasota and talked with a classmate that lived in greenville for 17 yrs and loved it. She returned to florida because of her grandchildren. I do appreciate hearing the different views from people and we will do our best to scope out all the areas of concern. We are both very outgoing people and hopefully will be able to get a feel from interacting with the community. We will be in greenville 10/23&24 for our first look since we rented a house for a week in the Waynesville area to visit some friends. Need to get out of the florida heat!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

evon bless in Atlanta, Georgia

66 months ago

hi my name is yvonne and i do live into hollywood fl and want to relocate to sc but but want to live next to the border line of charlotte nc.so i am try to fine the best neighborhooh to live in where jobs is and less crime.so i come across greenvill sc and i saw your info.i need the best because god is the best.and god is love and whereever the love of jesus is thats where i want to be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

thanks for your advice,why you did not try other areas.is it that you could not get ant jobs there because its pretty bad in fl'but i herd charleston sc is ok and spartanburg sc.also columbia is that truth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

greenvillegardener in Greenville, South Carolina

66 months ago

I moved to Greenville from Miami more than two years ago, and love it more with each passing month. I turned down a better-paying job offer in Raleigh, NC to take this job in Greenville, and it is still the single best life-decision I ever made. (And I am originally from New England, don't go to church, and didn't know a single soul or anybody's "daddy" here.)

This weekend we went to see Robert Earl Keene live at the Handelbar and the Greenville Symphony perform Mozart on Saturday, along with a few great dinners downtown (including Smoke and Lazy Goat) in beautiful fall weather with wonderfully pleasant and helpful people everywhere. People mostly get what they want out of where they live IF they look for it.

If you like shallow, superficial people in the trashy, over-priced redneck Riviera of Florida, PLEASE do stay there or return there immediately! This place is way too special to be spoiled by people with chips on their shoulders who are looking for the world to suit their tiny, self-absorbed lives. (The person from Sarasota was pissed because the mayor didn't respond to their whining??!? Give me a break! How very Florida of you!)

Life is mostly what you make it, and I have never, in more than 20 years of moving around in 5 great cities, found a place easier to enjoy life in than Greenville.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

thank you for your respond,i have never fallo what others say i go and find out for my self,because i will not have the bline lead me i have eyes from the lord jesus christ,and whereever god lead me thats where i will be,the lord say he will give me the desire of my hart and he knows that i want to relocated to south carolina he knows the location where to lead me.so i refuse to alow the human flesh lead me.so thank you for your report.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

cbkl82 in Sarasota, Florida

66 months ago

evon bless in Atlanta, Georgia said: thank you for your respond,i have never fallo what others say i go and find out for my self,because i will not have the bline lead me i have eyes from the lord jesus christ,and whereever god lead me thats where i will be,the lord say he will give me the desire of my hart and he knows that i want to relocated to south carolina he knows the location where to lead me.so i refuse to alow the human flesh lead me.so thank you for your report.

NOT A PROBLEM - FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF - GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lucius in New York, New York

66 months ago

Hi to everybody. Please pay attention and think a million times before moving to South Carolina because you're in for disappointments.

Among other things consider the following:

The people of South Carolina don't want people from other States to move there in "their" State. Those people are very unfriendly, especially if they know that you're going to stay or are about to move there. There is no southern hospitality except if one goes to a restaurant,shopping around as a tourist. That's another case and they play the game well on this but they change mood if they know that you live there.

Look, this is a bible, fundamentalist,one-mindset State.
These people drive cars like crazies. On the highway they drive 90-100 mph and when you look through the rear mirror you see a car, all the cars just right up to your bumper scaring hell out of you, going bumper-to-bumper causing you to drive faster to distance yourself from them. They all drive the same way including the Police.

When the drivers make a right turn they go all the way or almost to the left or to the middle of the road and then they make the turn. When they turn left the opposite happens.

They stop without warning.

This is also the State where Bible and Guns rule.
If you happens to live in the country and have a dog and the dog goes on somebody else property they may warn you once or twice about it but if the dog keeps going there it's all over for the dog. Be used also to gunfire as it is legal to shoot in your backyard.

These are quick-tempered people. One word misunderstood makes them violent.
Also don't expect people to have long discussion with you. They keep it short.

Moving to South Carolina to find a job? Are you serious? There are no jobs in the State. That is don't count on it. Why would you move to a place where people have an ugly accent and where in the summer is extremely hot and humid and
and winters humid-cold? In SC you will never feel at Home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

i am bless in Atlanta, Georgia

66 months ago

well well thank you for your responce.one thing i must say to you the bible is a good thing and at lease they will get the word of god into there soul,because only the word of god ruls now.i dont care who they are with the word of god they have to drop there wepond when you used the word of god.so what would you say about north carolina then is any jobs there and and what about the people there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Lucius in Brooklyn, New York

66 months ago

Blessed, I agree with you about the Bible. I'm a Christian too but the people in SC think that their Christianity (protestant-fundamentalist) is the true religion of the "Lord". In fact there is an extremely fundamentalist sect in Greenville,SC, which claims that Christian Catholics are the Devils and that Catholics "don't love the "Lord". In the 1980's Bob Jones Jr. stated that "The Papacy is the religion of the antichrist and is a satanic system".With people like these ...you know the rest.

As for North Carolina and basically all of the former Confederacy I don't advice people to move there. Difficult to find jobs in North Carolina also because we're talking about very poor States unless one wants to do some menial work and just get by.At the moment Mexicans are taking all the entry level jobs and the locals are out of work themselves. And WORK is NOT protected by the laws. They can fire workers,employees anytime.

When it comes to accessibility to medical care this is another problem. The Doctors and Hospitals are few and far in between and if you don't have good coverage you get nothing more than the Emergency Room treatment which is mandated by federal laws. Almost no doctor will accept Medicaid by itself with no Medicare or private insurance.

Some people have mentioned Charleston.Whether is Charleston or Myrthle Beach it can be nice here if it's summer only otherwise in the fall and winter the streets and Motels are almost deserted and just around the corner outside the Cities it's full of criminals. Columbia is not good either. If you're looking for Arts,Music and history anywhere there is nothing of this stuff. People just like Bars,Guns or staying inside and the discussion,if any, falls often on the Civil War and the Rebel flag. In SC an out-of State person or family will always be referred to as " the New York People","the Florida people","the Minnesotans people", etc. etc. The list goes on!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

LOVE CHARLESTON in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

66 months ago

THE SOUTH HAS NO HISTORY? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WE BASICALLY LIVE IN AN INTERACTIVE HISTORY MUSEUM!!!!!!!
IF you judge a state by the medicaid system, then I guess that you have different criteria!
The Lowcountry and the Grand Stand are Wonderful places to live! We are a right to work state,so jobs are coming to our state and leaving others( Boeing, BMW...)
The South has a rich and glorious history,one that we are proud to share!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lucius in Staten Island, New York

66 months ago

Sorry but I have 25 years of experience of what it means living and dealing in South Carolina, the way people think,( they think very differently)their behavior,what they say about the northerners and all those who are not from the South.

It's an uphill battle. People who move there are already in trouble the moment they open their mouth and start talking.
No, South Carolina is a place where Work is not a right. Everyone works at the pleasure of the employer or company.This is a fact. There are NO unions and locals have not even the guts to organize to improve their conditions through advocacy groups.

I didn't say that the South doesn't have any History. I just want people who are planning a move to the South and South Carolina in particular to have all the information available to make the right decision and not do what we did and felt trapped and angry to have moved there. Eventually we left and came back North.

Perhaps, the posters who want to move because of changing demographics ( forced integration included), crime and taxes and other problems, can find a new place a few miles away in different Counties or Cities or can just go to a nearby State within their own culture,and way of life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Lucius in Staten Island, New York

66 months ago

When I said "Arts, Music and "History" in the other post I meant not much going on
World History and psychological development concerning it.
I would like to add that the reason that some companies have moved there is that there is plenty of available land and there are very few or no laws regulating commerce,to protect the workers,no unions and low wages!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cbkl82 in North Port, Florida

66 months ago

robertC in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: The people were so unfriendly. It was heartbreaking for my wife and I to watch as children would come up to our s 4 year old and ask him where he went to church, and if the answer was wrong then they would turn away or worst their parents would remove them because they were playing with the evil child who did not go to their church. The people would be only superficially nice to you in public, but really wanted to have nothing to do with you. We had a family over to play and cook dinner for them, during the day the first thing that they wanted to know was about our religious beliefs, we went to a different christian denomination than them so after that they would not speak to us.It happened to us so much that we ended up not wanting to leave the house. We would go to Whole foods just to speak to people. One day my son asked me id the deli man at the whole foods was his uncle,because he was the closest thing we had to a friend.
We started to believe that it was us and for what ever reason we were unlikeable, and it was all our fault because it was inconceivable that that many people were unfriendly. Now that we have moved we are ourselves again, my son has a ton of friends and playmates, we have so many friends that it is hard to keep up with them and getting together. It took us a little while yo get over the shock that people were nice.
There is No amount of money that could ever make me move my family back to Greenville. Seriously if you offered me 500 million a year in salary but I had to live in Greenville I would turn it down.

We know how you feel - would never even go back to visit - and the "Christian, family man who has been in business for years" and "cares about you" this man that is the general manager of the Audi Voklswagon dealer - need we say more!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Mauldin, South Carolina

63 months ago

sandy said: I moved here from youngstown,ohio because of my daughter & granchildren I feel the people are very friendly but the med ins and drivers are out rages.

Sandy,

Welcome to the Upstate! I'm originally from Poland. Been here since 98. Love it! Married a Southern Belle!

Cheers, Joe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Saxman425 in Raleigh, North Carolina

60 months ago

Lucius,
I'm not sure where your information is coming from on North Carolina, but just like most states, there are poor parts and there are great parts.

North Carolina is in no way a poor state when you are talking about areas like Charlotte, the Triad, and the Triangle. Home to most major pharmaceutical companies, banking capital of the SE, etc.

Medical care is some of the best around. People coming from all over the world for Duke and Chapel Hill medical centers, with similar facilities throughout the state.

I'm not doubting your assessment of SC with the amount of years you've lived there, but I've lived in NC all my life and the claims you make about the state seem to stem from ignorance.

"i am blessed" in GA. I think NC would definitely be worth looking at. Just ask the thousands moving here from the NE and Western states for job opportunities, safe communities, reasonable cost of living etc. As far as finding a job though, it's just like the rest of the country. It really depends on what you are looking for and what qualifications you have. It's competative everywhere, but things seem to be looking up.
Just like any state, you can find good areas and bad. But I would highly recommend the Triangle, especially areas around Raleigh (Cary, Knightdale, Raleigh, Morresville)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Hartsville, South Carolina

58 months ago

coppockgroup@yahoo.com in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina said: I dissagree.
After living in both greenville and Charleston( Plus Florida,DC,Nyc,Greenwich Ct and Tennessee where I was Born),I feel that I am Qualified to see the difference in these places.
There is much more Yankee resistance in Greenville than in the Lowcountry.
Charlestonians are by nature a friendly and outgoing people.
Charleston is a very cosmopolitian city which continually catches the eye of the world,and as such has a constant influx of both tourist and new residents from all over the country.
I am sure that your friend may attribute her business shortcomings to a lack of those old money patrons,however I am sure that a more reasonable explanation would be that Charleston, being a world class city has competition from the brightest and best of all fields. Stiff competition tends to weeds out the weakest links, and reward the best.

I was born on the west coast, lived in the north though most of my life, but still a Californian at heart, love the warm weather in the south and beaches are just beautiful. I have also
spent time in Charleston every summer for 12 years and moved there for awhile, now live more inland. I really believe the nicest people are for some reason on the coast. I would advise anyone from the north, unless they have friends' or relatives inland to move to the coast, you'll be much happier.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cris in Miami, Florida

58 months ago

I think it really depends on where you came from and where your living right at this moment. for example i was reading above and i noticed a pattern. people from up north migrating to greenville were treated bad because they are the "yankees" not to be a categorizing people but people from jersey,and ny have a mentality of things have to be given to them right away.. but its because they are in a city thats ruthless. everything is fast paced. when i moved to greenville from "miami" i saw it both ways in the city everyone was nice.. in the rural areas they are very racist. NOW... not everyone has the mentality of being racist whereever you go theres nound to be some prick who thinks whites are number 1. and everyone else is below them. so in short just stick to the city like areas and youll be fine. if your gonna go trying to live in a ranch style place then obviously you just might have the clan waiting at your front door lol. oh and incase anyone is wondering yes we moved out of greenville after 8 months of being there. but not because of the racist people. were actually planning on moving back soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

hellwith the south in Simpsonville, South Carolina

58 months ago

we moved to greenville from ohio for a job. At first it seemed nice and very welcoming, but as time has progressed has been not so great. People here are rude,dirty,liars and wouldnt hesitate to stab you in the back for a secound.Also not so friendly they tend to stick to people from here and not"transplants" as they call us. We stick out as sire thumbs because we are educated which seems to be frowned upon by people here because they see it as a fear for them that you know more than them. Not to mention and I apologize, but if your white moving here you are treated even worse I mean i have lived some places and have had many of colored friends, but not here. Even my kids have been treated badly.They been ganged on,beat on,and basically treated like trash even my sons colored friends wont allow him in their houses only other black kids! I hate Greenville!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Hi, I dont' know, we've been here for 2 months now, and can't hardly find anyone to even help us with yard work, so i guess we'll just do it ourselves, we are going to move in May 2011, and probably not to Ohio, nor the carolinas ever again, Ohio's winter's are bad, although my family is there. Probably Florida would be the right way to go. You know my sister lives in Austin Tx and has for years, she was the asst. to the dean of the University of Texas, she had no problems, but...from what she says it's different here. We lived in Charleston SC for 1 year and that wasn't like this at all. You could move there, but we have to go where my husband's job takes us.

Best of Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Lucius in Staten Island, New York said: Sorry but I have 25 years of experience of what it means living and dealing in South Carolina, the way people think,( they think very differently)their behavior,what they say about the northerners and all those who are not from the South.

It's an uphill battle. People who move there are already in trouble the moment they open their mouth and start talking.
No, South Carolina is a place where Work is not a right. Everyone works at the pleasure of the employer or company.This is a fact. There are NO unions and locals have not even the guts to organize to improve their conditions through advocacy groups.

I didn't say that the South doesn't have any History. I just want people who are planning a move to the South and South Carolina in particular to have all the information available to make the right decision and not do what we did and felt trapped and angry to have moved there. Eventually we left and came back North.

Perhaps, the posters who want to move because of changing demographics ( forced integration included), crime and taxes and other problems, can find a new place a few miles away in different Counties or Cities or can just go to a nearby State within their own culture,and way of life.

I totally agree with you. I used to go to Charleston SC every summer for vacation, so current husband and I moved their years ago, had to move back to Ohio because of family,anyways to make a long story short, he was transferred here, I don't want to be here, we are a little inland from Myrtle Beach SC, but as far as
friendliness I am heart broken! I told my daughter, son, everyone I know to never move here, because it's too one sided, and I'm sure
it's a southern verses northerners, issue. No one speaks to me unless it's a checkout clerk at a store or a restaurant, we've been
here 2 months, husband is already looking for another job perhaps Florida would be better.Sister lives in Tx for 30 yrs no proble

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Dee in Hartsville, South Carolina said: I totally agree with you. I used to go to Charleston SC every summer for vacation, so current husband and I moved their years ago, had to move back to Ohio because of family,anyways to make a long story short, he was transferred here, I don't want to be here, we are a little inland from Myrtle Beach SC, but as far as
friendliness I am heart broken! I told my daughter, son, everyone I know to never move here, because it's too one sided, and I'm sure
it's a southern verses northerners, issue. No one speaks to me unless it's a checkout clerk at a store or a restaurant, we've been
here 2 months, husband is already looking for another job perhaps Florida would be better.Sister lives in Tx for 30 yrs no proble

Well my husband was transferred here thru his job, and so we're having an awful time here..I wish he had turned down the job, we wanted to get away from those bad winter's up north, and we thought it would be more like Charleston(the people)not friendly,
turn their backs on me when I say Hi, they knew we're from up north, we are both currently looking to Florida at this point. Nice place to vacation beautiful beaches, I'm a native Californian that's why I love the beach, but this kind of attitude in 2010? I told my best friend in ohio, and she was shocked, she said 2010? Unbelievable... So I just don't talk to too many people and keep to myself hoping and praying to God that the next 9 mos goes very very quickly. Never will come back, not even to vacation, because I
don't want these kind of people to have my money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Native Upstate Carolina Girl in Greenville, South Carolina

55 months ago

I am sorry to hear that so many people have not enjoyed their move to Greenville. Just remember that there are lots of transplants here, actually more transplants than natives. Although, I'm a native; I don't know anyone’s daddy or a judge, lawyer or anyone else who "knows another" to get things done.
Yes, we are proud people. We love our state, and can be quick tempered. Don't base the attitude of everyone of the Upstate of some from certain areas. My husband moved here from West Pam Beach, Fl in 1987. He had a culture shock as well. We don't have "weird" accents, we are southern. Have anyone of you who are having issues taken a moment to think that you possibly may be giving off an attitude to those around you? Maybe you sound weird to those you speak with in conversation? I could care less about where you go to church. Yes, my kids ask their friends if they want to come with them. We have not walked away from people who don't go to church. Just remember, there are Sunday morning Christian's everywhere, not just in the Upstate.
As always, if you really don't like the Upstate, the same highway that brought you in, will take you back out. We can only be as friendly as we are allowed. I have baked cookies, and things to welcome people to the neighborhood, and was told to please go away. I wasn't welcome on their property. I chalked it up to maybe that family just left a very unsafe area, but didn't judge them. Oh don't get me wrong, I'm one of the quick tempered ones around here.
As far as the driving, Florida is far worse than here, and I have been to both coasts to see family. Have yet to feel welcome there. I don't care if I am welcome; I do what I need to do; then head home to the Carolinas.
I will say that jobs here aren’t great. After being laid off my previous job, I went to school; only to graduate and still not able to find work. The main requirement is several years experience. I don’t know of a state that doesn’t have

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Lea in Phoenix, Arizona

54 months ago

My husband is an OTR and we have been hard hit here in phoenix. Three layoffs between the two of us in 3 years, can't do it anymore. Short selling home and looking to move to the Greenville area. I'm wishing to meet people whom have already settled in the area and can give advice and guidance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alexis in Wethersfield, Connecticut

50 months ago

My family and I where planning to move to SC but after hearing all this comments about religion that is going on in the south we are thinking about it twice. Yes I live in the northen part it may not be the best part of the world but atleast we dont critize people because of their different believes or there religion in some form or another we all believe in the same God and for those who dont we are not god we dont judge them. Just like we dont critize the southern people in fact we always speak highly of ya.

like every state and every city, in every family some are good some are bad it doesn't mean everyone is the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cjfield in Greenville, South Carolina

50 months ago

I live in Greenville, and do not attend a church, and have never been bothered or pressured or criticized by ANYone. Never! Granted, I work in a fairly liberal workplace and on the side of town know for being very open-minded, dare I say, even Democratic, but in any case, I have never had a single uncomfortable issue because of religion. (Moved here from Miami 4 years ago and could not be happier!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cjfield in Greenville, South Carolina

50 months ago

I was born and raised in New England, lived most of my life in St Pete, Fla., and then for work, lived in Austin, West Palm Beach and Miami (for 7 yrs). I absolutely LOVE living in Greenville, though I am not crazy about the outlying towns, the city itself is an awesome place to be. It is not all original inhabitants, so the culture is open and accepting. On the street where I live there are a couple musicians, a college professor, a guy who runs his own cleaning service, a couple of computer programmers -- and among them, Catholics, Jews, Baptists and atheists, some from the Upstate, most transplants from elsewhere. And nothing but respect and friendliness from all. The Upstate offers an oasis from the desperate economic situations in other parts of the country. And like any place, you can have as good a life here as you make it. I have a feeling some people commenting in this forum couldn't be really happy anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Moore, South Carolina

50 months ago

I could'nt agree with you more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.