Burned out Science teacher seeks new career

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Lisa84 in Humble, Texas

21 months ago

I'm a go-getter, highly organized, creative as heck, and I have good inter-personal and writing skills. I can problem solve like nobody's business; how do I know? I'm usually the one everyone (yes, even my superiors) comes to when they're stuck and need an idea outside of the box. I have seven years teaching Science in low-income, urban schools where you're basically expected to be a wizard. Until this year, I've been happy doing this but, man, kids these days! They're so awful! And STUPID! I feel as if I'm wasting my time by just being a glorified babysitter/police officer/social worker. And the pay sucks. Only perk is summers off.

My BS degree is in biology and I minored in geology but I don't care if my new career uses either backgrounds. If anything, I actually prefer geology related fields. Although biology was interesting in school, I can't imagine hanging out in a lab all day. I'm sort of an excitement junkie, you could say.

At this point, I'm just scoping out job ideas for after this school year ends (yes, I realize it's only October, haha. Have any of you been in a similar situation? Or maybe you've never taught but you can empathize with my scenario...

Whatever the case, if you have good career ideas, please comment. The more detailed, the better. :)

I'm looking for ideas of jobs that might be interesting and

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

21 months ago

Take your time and don't rush into something half-a**.

I hear what your saying bout teaching but that's still a pretty good gig with summers off and a PENSION. And, they won't lay you off because Science teachers are few and far.

Take your time because the last thing you want is once you start a new new career 2 years into it say...."boy I wish I would of stuck with teaching."

Everyone knows inside I believe what they truly were meant to do. It's getting there is the hard part. Start asking allot of people in other careers allot of questions about jobs you might be interested in. And take it slow.

Even though I shouldn't laugh the "stupid" comment about the kids made me laugh.

Take it slow. Make this year your true career soul searching mission. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

21 months ago

I did the alternative teacher certification (English 6-12 and elementary) several years ago. I did not get a job (lucky me) and ended up doing substitute teaching. All schools now are low income, and the kids are stupid and dgas. I spoke to quite few teachers who wanted to quit but didn't know what else they could do. I also spoke to several who did quit at the 20-year mark and took 1/2 of their pension because they said they couldn't take it anymore.

Most new teachers quit within five years. Joe is right about the pension - if you can make it another 23 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Do you have a Masters so you can teach at the college level? That might be worth it. Would surely give you a lot of flexibility. Tuoring at those tutoring places too. Private tutoring. Tutoring for those special tests.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

You have a good science background. How about medical terminology. You said you like excitement. Do you have the ability to look into court reporting?

alan headrick in Pace, Florida

13 months ago

Your post is funny in a sad way, but gave me a chukle anyway.
You might want to consider international schools or just teaching overseas like Australia or New Zealand. In many countries the students are not as stupid and unciviliazed as American kids. You maybe actually appreciated too!

derloris in Austin, Texas

13 months ago

Lisa84 in Humble, Texas said: I'm a go-getter, highly organized, creative as heck, and I have good inter-personal and writing skills. I can problem solve like nobody's business ; how do I know? I'm usually the one everyone (yes, even my superiors) comes to when they're stuck and need an idea outside of the box. I have seven years teaching Science in low-income, urban schools where you're basically expected to be a wizard. Until this year, I've been happy doing this but, man, kids these days! They're so awful! And STUPID! I feel as if I'm wasting my time by just being a glorified babysitter /police officer/social worker. And the pay sucks. Only perk is summers off.

My BS degree is in biology and I minored in geology but I don't care if my new career uses either backgrounds. If anything, I actually prefer geology related fields. Although biology was interesting in school, I can't imagine hanging out in a lab all day. I'm sort of an excitement junkie, you could say.

At this point, I'm just scoping out job ideas for after this school year ends (yes, I realize it's only October, haha. Have any of you been in a similar situation? Or maybe you've never taught but you can empathize with my scenario...

Whatever the case, if you have good career ideas, please comment. The more detailed, the better. :)

I'm looking for ideas of jobs that might be interesting and

Sfi is online site I've been with for a few months now accredited by the BBB. Its not overnight rich but if your willing to read the broken down over a thirty day period launchpad training. Youll do fine. Its done great for me. Ill also be there for u to contact if you need assistance once your signed up through this link.the forum seems to think my link is a phone number so where I spelled out the numbers, you will have to replace with actual numbers.

www.sfippa.com/one two three seven three six four one/real

Hope to see you there and good luck

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.