Can't get a job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Mature jobseeker in Houston, Texas

1 month ago

I have been looking for a job for over two years. I have filled out countless applications over the Internet. Aside from verifications that the company received my app. and resume, I never hear anything from any of these establishments. I have tons of experience with excellent work history. I also have a B.A. I try to contact some of the companies that I applied with but usually cannot get ahold of anyone. Many times I am told not to call in that they will contact me. I am an older applicant and I am not even getting interviews. I have reworked my resume to show recent experience hoping that my age will not be obvious. I have been told that my resume is good. I have done networking in meetups to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is getting ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

1 month ago

Mature jobseeker in Houston, Texas said: I have been looking for a job for over two years. I have filled out countless applications over the Internet. Aside from verifications that the company received my app. and resume, I never hear anything from any of these establishments. I have tons of experience with excellent work history. I also have a B.A. I try to contact some of the companies that I applied with but usually cannot get ahold of anyone. Many times I am told not to call in that they will contact me. I am an older applicant and I am not even getting interviews. I have reworked my resume to show recent experience hoping that my age will not be obvious. I have been told that my resume is good. I have done networking in meetups to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is getting ridiculous.

As an older worker myself, this is what I have been told.

1. Avoid groups billed as Networking Groups. Waste of time. Associations, User Groups, Alumni, Seminars are ok.
2. Get off the Internet. The best jobs are never advertised today. Its word of mouth.
3. Pass on a career and go for a job. Use these keywords: nights, weekends, part time, etc. These "jobs" are harder to fill.
4. Mature workers are hired by companies or agencies that deal with mature clients. Keep your eyes open as to where you go and what you do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Thaimaster in Lafayette, California

1 month ago

Unfortunately, most companies don't know what they're doing and will have endless budgetary meetings on why or why not to do something all day long.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

Hi Ruby, I appreciate your advice but I already have a part time night job. Actually, I have two part time jobs but what I am looking and hoping for is a position that pays better than $10.00 an hour and is full time. Yes, my eyes and ears are open. I am constantly asking people what they do for a living, where they work and are there any openings. Of course, I have to be very careful with this as I do not want to appear intrusive. Internet is the only way to apply for most jobs. More often than not there has to be an opening to apply. Thank you for trying to help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

I agree with Thaimaster. I can apply for a position and follow up with a call to HR only to find out that they will not make a decision to interview for another two months!
Job Fairs are a joke. A lot of hype before you go in, then when you get there they take your resume and tell you to go online to find an open position to apply for. That's it, no interview, no nothing! I am hoping to find a company that has empathy for the poor job seeker and will treat them as human beings instead of cattle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

1 month ago

Mature jobseeker in Houston, Texas said: I agree with Thaimaster. I can apply for a position and follow up with a call to HR only to find out that they will not make a decision to interview for another two months!
Job Fairs are a joke. A lot of hype before you go in, then when you get there they take your resume and tell you to go online to find an open position to apply for. That's it, no interview, no nothing! I am hoping to find a company that has empathy for the poor job seeker and will treat them as human beings instead of cattle.

Job Fairs were rendered obsolete long ago, along with the milkman, the leisure suit and the telephone booth. I didn't even think they had them anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.