Can't get a job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Mature jobseeker in Houston, Texas

40 months ago

I have been looking for a job for over two years. I have filled out countless applications over the Internet. Aside from verifications that the company received my app. and resume, I never hear anything from any of these establishments. I have tons of experience with excellent work history. I also have a B.A. I try to contact some of the companies that I applied with but usually cannot get ahold of anyone. Many times I am told not to call in that they will contact me. I am an older applicant and I am not even getting interviews. I have reworked my resume to show recent experience hoping that my age will not be obvious. I have been told that my resume is good. I have done networking in meetups to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is getting ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

40 months ago

Mature jobseeker in Houston, Texas said: I have been looking for a job for over two years. I have filled out countless applications over the Internet. Aside from verifications that the company received my app. and resume, I never hear anything from any of these establishments. I have tons of experience with excellent work history. I also have a B.A. I try to contact some of the companies that I applied with but usually cannot get ahold of anyone. Many times I am told not to call in that they will contact me. I am an older applicant and I am not even getting interviews. I have reworked my resume to show recent experience hoping that my age will not be obvious. I have been told that my resume is good. I have done networking in meetups to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is getting ridiculous.

As an older worker myself, this is what I have been told.

1. Avoid groups billed as Networking Groups. Waste of time. Associations, User Groups, Alumni, Seminars are ok.
2. Get off the Internet. The best jobs are never advertised today. Its word of mouth.
3. Pass on a career and go for a job. Use these keywords: nights, weekends, part time, etc. These "jobs" are harder to fill.
4. Mature workers are hired by companies or agencies that deal with mature clients. Keep your eyes open as to where you go and what you do.

Reply - Report abuse

Media Press in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

Mature jobseeker in Houston, Texas said: I have been looking for a job for over two years. I have filled out countless applications over the Internet. Aside from verifications that the company received my app. and resume, I never hear anything from any of these establishments. I have tons of experience with excellent work history. I also have a B.A. I try to contact some of the companies that I applied with but usually cannot get ahold of anyone. Many times I am told not to call in that they will contact me. I am an older applicant and I am not even getting interviews. I have reworked my resume to show recent experience hoping that my age will not be obvious. I have been told that my resume is good. I have done networking in meetups to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is getting ridiculous.

What industry are you seeking work in? I know in Houston networking can be a large part of finding solid opportunities. We are hiring for sales staff, and provide full training. If this is a field of interest for you, reach out to us. www.mppcareer.com

Reply - Report abuse

dadarkside in Quantico, Virginia

28 months ago

Network, network network! Applications on line are a waste of time!

Reply - Report abuse

Fed up in Houston, Texas

4 months ago

What happens when networking doesn't work? I'm a member of lots of nerworking.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Pearland, Texas

4 months ago

I have moved to Houston from India and been 8 months looking for a job in Houston or anywhere in the US. Have applied to countless companies over internet. I was working as a IT operations manager heading a team of around 40 people, managing day to day and support activities for over 25 international projects for support and maintenance by 24*7 monitoring with Incident Management as primary process. Been a contributor and has implemented an evolved many processes in the department and organisation. Have Bachelors in Computer Science Engineering and Advanced Diploma in Business Administration.Have ITIL cerifications. I am almost getting upset for being qualified and not even getting a mid level start in the US. I would need help to have a right start . Someone please help.

Reply - Report abuse

Leon in Katy, Texas

3 months ago

The trouble is most of the posted jobs don't exist. You'll find the same job repeating itself year round. Either HR is so inefficient or the job roles are too narrow to fit the applicant base.

There is an issue with Application Tracking Systems (ATS) which is used by most companies because HR/Recruitment is plain lazy to go through resumes which I believe is part of their job scope. Unfortunately, if you have not SEO'ed your resume, you get lost even if you are the best suited for the job.

I too am seeking a job, and what I realised is that most jobs on LinkedIn are fake. I once copied the entire job description into my resume to see if it gets picked up. Guess what, I got a reply saying I didn't fit the job description. Nuf said!

If you are an immigrant, wish you the best coz you won't make the first cut.

Reply - Report abuse

Mature job seeker in Houston, Texas

2 months ago

I have now given up. I never could find a substantial job or get any replies from HR. Living on Social security and substitute teaching. I feel for all of those looking. I know what you are going through and it appears to be hopeless due to the impersonal practice of online applying. I am so glad I am not putting myself through that rejection anymore. Good luck to all of those who are still looking.

Reply - Report abuse

AtExit8 in City, New Jersey

2 months ago

I have given up on so-called permanent job.

On the day I started as Kohl's associate I interviewed for a job in my field.
Fast forward, I started at that job on 9/11.
It is contract and temp.
But it pays good.
So, I have lowered my expectations.

Reply - Report abuse

Deann in League City, Texas

2 months ago

I moved out here to Texas from California 8 months ago. I have applied to numerous companies. The field I apply in; I have a lot of experience and years under my belt. Because of the constant denials; I have reached for positions well under my qualifications. I still struggle to find work. Just like everyone here; I have changed my resume multiple times. I try not to be discouraged; but I am. Life makes it impossible to go work for $9 - $13 an hour. Between children, bills, house and other expenses; it is nearly impossible to consider. Not to mention the jobs that require a B.A for that amount! I'm also on the battling field for unemployment.
Well, I figured I would vent. Good luck to everyone looking for work, and something that pays your worth.

Reply - Report abuse

shingami in Chicago, Illinois

2 months ago

You can't say get off the internet. This is the sole state of applying for jobs now. Yes, you can get jobs word of mouth, I just had my dad give me some jobs to apply for with the local Alderman office--but that was after me looking for a year myself. So you can't rely on word of mouth/networking. How many people do you think are giving you job leads that way? Are multiple people calling you several times a day about jobs? If so, that's great.

The economy is S##t and companies want employees with a 99.9% job match so it's less downtime (training) for them. I don't know how they think you're supposed to know every company software known to man, but they do. The only emails I get are from people who 'viewed' my resume. I can't even get a job at places I DON'T want to work! It's ridiculous.

I remember at my last job this girl would come in periodically to try to sell stuff or talk to someone. She'd look embarrassed because I knew her by then, I could tell she hated the job and felt dumb coming back over and over, she would apologize for coming back, but now I see why people keep crappy jobs like that, they got nothing else, and job searching for literally years on end is the only other option.

Reply - Report abuse

shingami in Chicago, Illinois

2 months ago

AtExit8 in City, New Jersey said: I have given up on so-called permanent job.

On the day I started as Kohl's associate I interviewed for a job in my field.
Fast forward, I started at that job on 9/11.
It is contract and temp.
But it pays good.
So, I have lowered my expectations.

This is how I feel. I was watching this doc where this man talked to homeless people. This man said he looked for a job for a long time but nothing ever came of it and eventually he just gave up. I feel like just going to the mountains and living off the grid. I certainly can't blame the young hot girls that snag someone rich, lol.

lowering my expectations make me even more depressed. I just feel like my fate in life is to constantly be scrapping for crumbs.

Reply - Report abuse

Ena in Houston, Texas

2 months ago

Honestly, I am now considering going back to school for an associate and then getting into the system through paid internships...

Reply - Report abuse

Des.84 in Houston, Texas

22 hours ago

I am begging for a job. I am tired of submitting applications and not getting any feedback. I am tired of living off my mom's money. I am 19 and have no experience. I need a job asap. I want my money and to take care of my sister and my mom. I have no car.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Houston, Texas

21 hours ago

Try Amazon Fullfilment associate to work at the warehouse

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.