Career Change -- but Whcih Job to choose??? Help!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

jpbaldino in Riverdale, New Jersey

82 months ago

I'm 27, looking to switch careers right now. I'm leaving the mortgage industry because its too corrupt and you have to be "creative" to make money in that business, especially in today's market. Besides that I didnt get any salary or benefits or bonuses, it was commission only. Which isnt too bad since some moneths I made over $10,000 but other months I didnt make anything. Annually, I typically made $55,000. So please help me choose my next job which I want to be stable and long term and somewhere in northen New Jersey...

My current options:

1. Town Police Officer: would be in Bergen or Morris county, tough to get into since its highly desirable but I have very good connections and would be going to the Morris County Academy Alternate Route system. We know there lifestyle and in thos counties, there isnt much violence or crime. Pension is awesome, and salary can reach 6 figures in your 5th year.

2. Pharmaceutical Sales Rep: I already nailed the phone interview and waiting for the face to face. Pfizer is interested. Its $55000 plus bonus plus a company car. I hear this is a very tough position to get.

3. Executive Recruiter: contacted by a company that is number 1 in the UK and only hires executives with salries that range between $200k and $1 million. I would get a small salary plus bonuses and many perks such as many company trips to all over the world, plus a huge expense account to take clients to sporting events, dinners, and shows. They said $100k in 1st year is reasonable and their top earner makes close to $900k a year.

4. Inside Sales: for a real estate strategies company: new business development for an award winning consulting, advisory, and transaction services firm. It offers salary plus commission. I do not have too much info on it yet, but it seems very interesting with daling with the commercial real estate industry.

I have links to all of these jobs and I have a resume. Please let em know what you need to make an informed opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jpbaldino in Riverdale, New Jersey

82 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sterling Personnel - horrible companies in Frisco, Texas

82 months ago

#4. Anything in the transaction is usually very shakey. I'd bet that you don't want any more of that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Transaction Industry horrible companies in Frisco, Texas

82 months ago

#4. Anything in the transaction is usually very shakey. I'd bet that you don't want any more of that!

To be in inside sales you must be an auditory type person.

Outside sales is more of a position for a visual or other.

Although they sound similar they are far apart in task.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Career Change - to what industry? in Frisco, Texas

82 months ago

I am also seeking a career change.

What are the best most stable industries out there?
What specific job titles?
What training?

I'm.... mmmm... over 40. I need a new industry that will steer me in to the next 25 years of highly likely to be continuously employed regardless of age.
I need a great to high paying industry.

What can I do now?
What can I do in the future with new education?

I have a Bachelor of Business. I have substantial IT related experience.

Any ideas?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Industry - Career Change in Frisco, Texas

82 months ago

Thanks.
I've been working at $91 K most recently in the 1st year with a company that is now downsizing 25%.
I'm seeking an "industry" that is do-able long term and/or a new career direction.
Not necessarily the same company as that's been long proven to be not likely for most people.

In the event of age, High vs. lower pay for younger workers, random company instabilities, downsizings and similar issues, I'm still looking for what direction I should move toward & educate in which could potential also be done as a self-employed person if needed.

Industry - Career Change in Frisco, Texas

82 months ago

jpbaldino in Riverdale, New Jersey said: Thank you very, very much. The recruiter job was on Monster.com under the company name Huxley. It was ranked as the #1 place to work for in the UK, here's the link...

Recruiter jobs are extremely high turnover. Sounds great but it does take time to close the deals & get paid. It's good that they are offering a base pay. That's the only way you should take the position.

JB in Matawan, New Jersey

82 months ago

Wow, this forum really isn't good at all, so far I've only had 2 people reply to my question and have had everyone else complain they need a job too. Its like talking to my family, ask a question and get an answer that doesn't relate to it. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.