Felons Really Looking for Work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 91 of 91)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Hugo in Houston, Texas

42 months ago

I did three tours in Iraq being a Army Ranger. I was the guy you see in the video games kicking doors and doing special missions for the United States Army. When I got Back My sisters Boyfriend got in her face and busted her lip open, but what he didnt know is that was in the other room listening so I got out and kicked his ass. I got charged with assult and did one year in prison for that.I have education and lots of expirience with the public. But I cant get a job because I have a felony on my record. Nobody will hire me. I have a family. Last year for Christmas my two kids got nothing under the tree. Here I am a United States Army Ranger who almost died several times in combat for my country and cant gat a job and cant even get an apartment in my name because I have a felony. If someone out there can help me out there my email address is ricohugo1379@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

troberton43 in Houston, Texas

41 months ago

Thank so much for the lead. I'm just graduated from Everest Institute and I wasn't told that I may have a hard time finding employment because of my record, if I didn't receive a job straight from my externship for Medical Insurance Billing and Coding. Where do I find out if able to get Certified in Coding?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

andrea in Houston, Texas

41 months ago

I am sorry but in my experience they will not even let you get that far.
Just had someone that I knew today went for an interview, very qualified for the position. The conversation/Interview went no further once the felony was mentioned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hakeem10 in Spring, Texas

38 months ago

J in Houston, Texas said: I'm seriously looking for employment. I have Geo-Seismic experience, I've been trained as a junior coodinater and observer. I've worked heli-port operations and used software and communications systems associated with geo-seismic projects. I have a felony and I can't get passed the background check. Is there information and/or contact numbers of companies that hires persons with background check. I'm drugfree and very capable of working.

I understand also what your going through, I and my husband also have felony convictions that are 16yrs and 22yrs old. We though that after a period of time with out any new convictions that the employment markmet and potential employers would not take into account the past convictions but they do. We relocated to Houston, TX due to jobs, we get the interview pass the drug test but when they do the background they say, well we cannot hire you due to company policy. Now, some companies go back 3, 5, 7, 10yrs. but when the HR person contradicts themselves and say company policy won't allow us to hire you and the policy reads have you had a felony convicts in the last 7yrs and I reply no. That's just no politicaly correct, because the application reads in the last 7yrs. I'am ready to implement a march on Washinton , DC like thye million man march. Demanding from the government reinstatment of our constitutional rights are being violated. Peace and love

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

trobertson43 in Houston, Texas

38 months ago

I all for the Million March!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Felons.BiZ in Ormond Beach, Florida

38 months ago

Jobs for Felons @ Felons.BiZ... Loans & Apartments for Felons too! www.Felons.BiZ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Billy P in Iowa City, Iowa

38 months ago

oldiebutgoodiegirl in Marion, Iowa said: Update: H.R. 1529, The Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009

On March 16, 2009, Congressman Charles B. Rangel [D-NY] sponsored and introduced The Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 [HR 1529] which would permit expungement of records of certain nonviolent criminal offenses. Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 - It amends the federal criminal code to allow an individual to file a petition for expungement of a record of conviction for a nonviolent criminal offense if such individual has:

(1) never been convicted of a violent offense and has never been convicted of a nonviolent offense other than the one for which expungement is sought;

(2) fulfilled all requirements of the sentence of the court in which conviction was obtained;

(3) remained free from dependency on or abuse of alcohol or a controlled substance for a minimum of one year and has been rehabilitated, to the court's satisfaction, if so required by the terms of supervised release;

(4) obtained a high school diploma or completed a high school equivalency program; and

(5) completed at least one year of community service. Status of the Legislation. Latest Major Action: 3/16/2009: Status: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.'

is this program or felons and if so who do i contact to get the ball rolling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

trobertson43 in Houston, Texas

38 months ago

Is this good in the state of Texas also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Trey in Raleigh, North Carolina

38 months ago

I wouldnt hire a felon. There are too many people out there that were able to use their head when they were young. Like everyone else, these people made mistakes as well, but not leading into convictions.
yes, I hear some pathetic cases of people who do not deserve to be felons, but admit it, most of these convictions are for dumb, completely irresponsible and negligent indecencies towards members of society. You knew even before grade school that stealing was wrong... no one to blame but yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

jmc123

38 months ago

EVERYBODY has faults and short commings! Everybody has done something they are ashamed of... Everybody has done something they will never tell any one. Small people look down on others just another form of bigotry they like to make themselves better when if you really look
They are the worst ones!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jmaz in Houston, Texas

38 months ago

After 3 felonies, and a load of experience in corporate America, I had to reinvent myself. Get some foam poster boards and some stakes and put out signs advertising ANYTHING: yard work, cleaning, Whatever. Do some work, you will get some calls. Use the money you earn to make more signs. Two years later you may be like me and making $1500/week cleaning houses. Not so glamorous, but I am gonna make 80k this year. No joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

jmc123 in Pearland, Texas

38 months ago

Right on great idea work for oneself ! We need to talk !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

william cantrell jr in Dayton, Texas

38 months ago

oldiebutgoodiegirl in Marion, Iowa said: Update: H.R. 1529, The Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009

On March 16, 2009, Congressman Charles B. Rangel [D-NY] sponsored and introduced The Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 [HR 1529] which would permit expungement of records of certain nonviolent criminal offenses. Second Chance for Ex-Offenders Act of 2009 - It amends the federal criminal code to allow an individual to file a petition for expungement of a record of conviction for a nonviolent criminal offense if such individual has:

(1) never been convicted of a violent offense and has never been convicted of a nonviolent offense other than the one for which expungement is sought;

(2) fulfilled all requirements of the sentence of the court in which conviction was obtained;

(3) remained free from dependency on or abuse of alcohol or a controlled substance for a minimum of one year and has been rehabilitated, to the court's satisfaction, if so required by the terms of supervised release;

(4) obtained a high school diploma or completed a high school equivalency program; and

(5) completed at least one year of community service. Status of the Legislation. Latest Major Action: 3/16/2009: Status: Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.'

the Second Chance Act of 2007 (H.R. 1593), titled "To reauthorize the grant program for reentry of offenders into the community in the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968, to improve reentry planning and implementation, and for other purposes" was submitted to the House by Representative Danny Davis (D-IL) to amend the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 to reauthorize, rewrite, and expand provisions for adult and juvenile offender state and local reentry demonstration projects to provide expanded services to offenders and their families for reentry into society. H.R. 1593 was signed into law April 9, 2008.

second chance act of 2007 is a good system

Billy P in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

38 months ago

well hit my email with the info bpowell920@sbcglobal.net

charles delmar in Houston, Texas

38 months ago

I am really starting to feel the economy at this point. I am a certified forklift operator and able to work any position in a warehouse environment but unfortunately do to my background of 7 years or more I am still unable to find a job. If you can help me in the houston, stafford area it would be greatly appreaciated.

charles delmar in Houston, Texas

38 months ago

I am really starting to feel the economy at this point. I am a certified forklift operator and able to work any position in a warehouse environment but unfortunately do to my background of 7 years or more I am still unable to find a job. If you can help me in the houston, stafford area it would be greatly appreciated. charles.delmar74@yahoo.com

J Cross in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

Well you have convinced me buddy . Checks in the mail! Yeah right what are you a con man or something . My guess is you are on meth ,or you cant spell! Get real!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Diablo in Houston, Texas

37 months ago

J in Houston, Texas said: I'm seriously looking for employment. I have Geo-Seismic experience, I've been trained as a junior coodinater and observer. I've worked heli-port operations and used software and communications systems associated with geo-seismic projects. I have a felony and I can't get passed the background check. Is there information and/or contact numbers of companies that hires persons with background check. I'm drugfree and very capable of working.

the only places where felons like us will be hired are places where they do not use social security and the employers pay us in cash. most places will be in restaurants helping in the back or any temp agency or if you get lucky you can get help at the workforce, but most of those companies wont call back, believe me i know. best of luck to you bro and remember to keep your head up, something will come up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Concerned in Houston, Texas

36 months ago

2ND CHANCES 4 FELONS in Hurst, Texas said: WWW.2ndchances4felons.com @FELONSNEEDHELP2 (TWITTER) 2ND CHANCES 4 FELONS (FACEBOOK) SUPPORT THE MOVEMENT WWW.FELONSNEED2WORK2 @LIVE.COM (EMAIL)

This is so true my husbands felony was 17 years ago and he hasnt been in trouble since. But he is constantly being "re- convicted" by society for a crime he has already done his time for. What happened to rehabilitaed or second chances? If the State feels your that its ok to release you back in to the public, then why won't the public accept you? They see the record and not the person and its not fair. People who make mistakes are human too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JOb seeker in Houston, Texas

35 months ago

i have a company tht hires felons no credit background or drug test.. if ur interested email ur name and number to Portrait011@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

JOb seeker in Houston, Texas

35 months ago

jkemp2690 in Houston, Texas said: I agree!
Im not a bad person and im tired of employers trying to be too picky!!!!! you mess up one time in life and you cant get a job?

my company is seeking hard workers no credit background or drug test if u would like more innformation Email your name and number to Portrait011@yahoo.com to get an interveiw set up

JOb recruiter in Houston, Texas

35 months ago

andrea in Houston, Texas said: I am sorry but in my experience they will not even let you get that far.
Just had someone that I knew today went for an interview, very qualified for the position. The conversation/Interview went no further once the felony was mentioned.

The company Im with is seeking very motivated and hard working individuals.. NO background, credit, or drug test. If you would like more information and to get a interveiw set up contact me at Portrait011@yahoo.com with your name and number.

elaine

33 months ago

Here is an article that may help others with less experience.
www.theinmatelookup.com/ExOffender.htm

robert boldon in Houston, Texas

33 months ago

i need a job!!!!

joshua korb in SUGAR LAND, Texas

33 months ago

joshua korb

deadboi@gmail.com -two8one-six9zero-8zero7three

Most of my life Ive done grunt work such as fire and water damage restoration on homes and businesses .
I have done construction work and deconstruction work . I can clean cooling towers like noone else . I am
a hard worker and very loyal so long as im not abused by staff . I also have several years of warehouse
work and at one time was certified on 3 classes of forklifts . I learn new things easily .

Education

All i have is a GED

M.R. Woods AEC -Sugar Land, TX
Skills

Strong back , not afraid to get dirty or sweat .

Certifications

IICRC fire water certified

July 2008 to August 2010

This cert was needed for advancement in the company i worked for .. Servicemaster .

Additional Information

My biggest problem with finding employment is my criminal background . In 07 i was charged with
Possession of Controlled Subtance . I have been clean since then . Ive served my time and paid all my
fees . I NEED A CHANCE !

Mike in Baytown, Texas

31 months ago

Scam!!!!!!!! Shysters! Dont waste your time they want money up front. Offering to sell .........for money

rose in League City, Texas

29 months ago

does any one know of any staffing agencies in league city tx that help felons find work. i just relocated out here and need the most help i can get.

marvin0601 in Houston, Texas

29 months ago

instrested in job

rosa in Houston, Texas

29 months ago

marvin0601 in Houston, Texas said: instrested in job

Yes plz.

Nganaway in Houston, Texas

28 months ago

What companies in Texas Hire Felons...?

Work Opportunity Tax Credit

The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) provides a tax credit of up to $2,400 for employers hiring individuals from certain targeted groups including: low-income, vocational rehabilitation referrals, former AFDC recipients, veterans, ex-felons, food stamp recipients, summer youth employee, and SSI recipients.

An employer who hires an employee who
A) has been convicted of a felony under any statute of the United States or an State,
B) has a hiring date which is not more than 1 year after the last date on which such individual was so convicted or was released from prison

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

east clova in Houston, Texas

26 months ago

People say they can help felons but really can expulsion want work its just for money they say they can get your own business going work side jobs for awhile until you save up get a truck lawn mower save up keep going get contracts then save up for a big truck keep savings.g saving u got 1 company going landscape dudes working for you then start another company roofing save up get trucks then you'll be gettin that money

26 months ago

I did prison time last time i checked you ain't a felon you don't know what its like no getting a job getting told no everywhere you go all do respect man check with the labor ready they can help and some agencies alt of companies want that clean background these days but if you get that own business started anybody tell you they can get that felony off that background but really they can't its all lies the past hurts but its true so cut grass its money put that pride aside i did doing time in tdcj really helped i don't care what job it is its money speak up when you'll see dudes moving houses building houses tell them you do whatever they need for a god forsaken buckeq

26 months ago

Yea i can't stereo type but what i seen and been through nobody really wants to help felons they want us back in that cage where we decided to go companies want open a door they close it before we walk in and fill that app or fill out a expunge some might help but i been out a yeare nobody has came through no companies have interviewed me nobody i know the whole law and expectation but sometimes they gotta open up those doors

Fel in Atlanta, Georgia

25 months ago

charles delmar in Houston, Texas said: I am really starting to feel the economy at this point. I am a certified forklift operator and able to work any position in a warehouse environment but unfortunately do to my background of 7 years or more I am still unable to find a job. If you can help me in the houston, stafford area it would be greatly appreaciated.

If you are still looking for a way to earn significant income, let me know ASAP. All you need to have is the burning desire to succeed and the rest will be simple. Email me at hot4java@yahoo.com Subject(looking for work)

LONLLEE1 in Cypress, Texas

24 months ago

HI J
IN HOUSTON AND TRYING TO HELP MY SON FREDRICK WHEN HE COMES HOME IN AUG 2012. HE WAS A TRUCK DRIVER WITH HAZMAT LIC. IF YOU COME ACCROSS AGENCIES OF HELP OF ANY KIND IN OR OUT OF SCHOOL PLEASE PASS IT ON. HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOU AND PRAYING FOR YOU AND MY SON TO OVERCOME ALL ODDS IN CHRIST JESUS AND YOU WILL IF YOU JUST DONT QUIT.

lowself asteem in Saint Louis, Missouri

24 months ago

oldiebutgoodiegirl in Marion, Iowa said: How would you answer the question, “Have you ever been convicted of a crime?”

EXAMPLE:
Interviewer: “I see from your application that you have been convicted of a crime. Will you explain this to me? Tell me about it.”
Applicant: “I’m glad you asked me because I want you to feel comfortable hiring me. It is embarrassing for me to talk about. I want to assure you that it had nothing to do with my previous employers. I took some things that didn’t belong to me and as a result, I’ve taken the time to decide what field I would like to get into. I have enrolled in several clerical courses and can type 50 wpm. I am familiar with several software programs for word processing, and have excellent phone skills. I am very interested in learning all I can about this industry, and I know I would be an asset to your organization.”
-OR-
“When I was younger I got mixed up with the wrong crowds and got in trouble for breaking into cars. We all do things when we are young that we regret. I used the time to my advantage by completing an air conditioner and heating training program and received my certificate. I’ve researched several air conditioning companies in the area and yours is well respected. I would really like to be a part of your team.”
-OR-
“In my past, I was involved with drugs, but that is all behind me, and I’ve taken control of my life. I have two years of experience in food service and want to stay in this industry and learn as much as possible. As a result of my past, when you hire me, your company is eligible for the Work Opportunity Tax Credit , which can save you up dot $2,400. Are you familiar with this program?”

REMEMBER that communication is not just about the words you use!!!
Your total message is:
7% actual words
38% tone, pitch, volume and rate
55% body posture, clothing, facial expressions and gestures

Will you be my self-esteem coach?

felon in Houston, Texas

23 months ago

Looking for work also. in San Leandro, California said: This website talks about helps ex offenders in your area. There are programs that actually help ex offenders, you must search them out in your area or with state departments who may be able to help you. The best thing you can do is try and get your ex crime expunged, sealed or dismissed, so you will have a better time of getting a job. An attorney may even be needed. It's not easy but with time and persistence, you can do this. Just make sure to not commit any further crimes and stay out of any other type of trouble. People are sometimes quick to judge but if you prove yourself, someone will eventually give you a chance. My cousin did lots of time in prison he now works and goes to school and they new about his record. Anything is possible, just not easy. www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/168637.pdf

A convicted felon can only have records expunged if the case has been overturned/reversed on appeal/dismissed, or if he/she was a juvenile when convicted. I'm a licensed counselor with a BSW degree and have been unemployed since April 2011, after five years with an agency. I've been on countless interviews and have not been hired because of the felony convictions. I'm beginning to develop a negative attitude and give up looking for work. Unemployment benefits ran out last month. I'm on parole so I have to continue the job search. Its hard to keep faking the positive enthusiastic personality at job interviews knowing I'll be turned down after I self disclose and or they run the background check.
Readers, please don't reply with feedback on staying positive, don't give up, bla, bla, bla. I'm a counselor, I already know.
Its discrimination, and hopefully in the future there will be laws against discriminating against convicted felons who have paid thier debt to society and have established themselves as productive and law abiding citizens.

jc198339 in Pasadena, Texas

18 months ago

Hugo in Houston, Texas said: I did three tours in Iraq being a Army Ranger. I was the guy you see in the video games kicking doors and doing special missions for the United States Army. When I got Back My sisters Boyfriend got in her face and busted her lip open, but what he didnt know is that was in the other room listening so I got out and kicked his ass. I got charged with assult and did one year in prison for that.I have education and lots of expirience with the public. But I cant get a job because I have a felony on my record. Nobody will hire me. I have a family. Last year for Christmas my two kids got nothing under the tree. Here I am a United States Army Ranger who almost died several times in combat for my country and cant gat a job and cant even get an apartment in my name because I have a felony. If someone out there can help me out there my email address is ricohugo1379@yahoo.com

Im right there with you.

jc198339 in Pasadena, Texas

18 months ago

Right there with you.

jess in Houston, Texas

17 months ago

Jam, I saw your entry and was wanting to ask you a question? What did it take to start your own company...I am in same situation...no one will hire me and need a second chance at life.

Gabriel in Houston, Texas

8 months ago

Hello. My name is Gabriel and I am 38. Im In Houston, and Im seriously looking for work. My email address is gabrielismael1@gmail.com. I have 15 years experience as cook and baker. I do catering as well but I need something more stable and consistant. I have my TWIC and am ready and willing to go offshore. I a can do manual labor aswell.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.