Trading

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Wayne in Houston, Texas

82 months ago

How does one begin a trading career in either Energy/Gas/Power?

I have 5 years experience as an Analyst and trader in the Forex Spot market.

I have a BBA in Finance.

Look forward to hearing from anyone that can help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Long time energy trader in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

Best way for you to start would be in the Risk group or on a rotation program with an energy trading company or large producer. With hard work and learning movement into a junior trading positon can be fairly quick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kenneth in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

Long time energy trader in Houston, Texas said: Best way for you to start would be in the Risk group or on a rotation program with an energy trading company or large producer. With hard work and learning movement into a junior trading positon can be fairly quick

Thank you for responding to my inquiry.

Would you know of any companies that have a rotation program? I would prefer to work in Houston, Texas, but will consider relocation.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Kenneth

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Thank you for responding to my inquiry.

Would you know of any companies that have a rotation program?
I would prefer to work in Houston, Texas, but will consider relocation.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Kenneth

Long time energy trader in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

I don't think that you would need to relocate since Houston is such a hub for energy trading. I would bet that most of the majors (production companies and trading shops) would have a rotation program. You could contact their human resources department and sent up a meeting and inquire about. Another way to go would be to get with a smaller private company, because many times you have more of an opportunity to advance quickly (unless they can't give you up in the job that you are doing for them!)I will say - it is a great career. Search some of the recruiter and corporate boards for entry and analyst positions on the risk side. You do have that background going for you and I think that is the best natural move. Gas scheduling or contracts is another entry position, but I you can end up staying in those positions for a long time.

79 months ago

Hello,

Thank you for the advice.

I have been on a couple of interviews, but no success so far. I am beginning to believe that my age, (I am 42) might be one of the factors, why I have not been successful in obtaining a position.

Do you believe age could be playing a large factor in my not obtain a position in the industry? Or, should I spend the time and money to purse a masters? Do you known of an Energy Trading or an Analyst / Risk Management program?

Thank you for help.

Kenneth

LTT in Houston, Texas

79 months ago

I definitely see that it is mostly young 20 somethings starting in the industry - and even though it is against the law for companies to hire based on age - it probably happens and some other reason is given. I think that a lot of companies do prefer a MBA for people with zero experience, but I would think that with your financial experience you should be able to get an entry type position. I saw a few the other day. I can't remember which- check Duke...Have you looked on many of the corporate sites under careers? Most of the larger companies have a tuition type reimbursement benefit- so if you can wait to start on your Masters.

Jeff in Beaumont, Texas

73 months ago

I am a 23 year old financial advisor also looking to make a career change. I would like to find out if anyone knows specific companies are hiring for entry level energy trading positions in Houston. Thanks

Patrick in Houston, Texas

69 months ago

I'm looking for a career change also into the energy trading sector. My background is mortgage loan originator for 10 years I am in my 40's too, hope there is not any bias with age. Good to hear there are possibilities out there, any help out there.I need a life line, can I buy a vowel, phone a friend.

jasonaa in Las Vegas, Nevada

67 months ago

Patrick in Houston, Texas said: I'm looking for a career change also into the energy trading sector. My background is mortgage loan originator for 10 years I am in my 40's too, hope there is not any bias with age. Good to hear there are possibilities out there, any help out there.I need a life line, can I buy a vowel, phone a friend.

did you ever find out? I have a very similar background as you and the same age....

Andrean Sah in Paris, France

14 months ago

You can try with one of Forex Binary options Brokers in the www.thebinaryoptionsbroker.com , Binary Trading is new popular innovation trading so maybe a lot of companies/brokers that need workers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.