How to get hired on an oil rig?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Mwilli247 in Livingston, Texas

14 months ago

I have been in oil and gas field for 5 years now. Some pipeline and some gas measurement. I am ready to get out of pipeline because it is more about who you know. I m looking for a career where I can also have time for my family. Have always been interested in offshore or onshore rigs. I have applied to many companies and have had no calls. Very discouraging but I continue my search. I am afraid that part of my problem is my work history. Working pipeline, you realize that jobs are not long term. And when one job is over, you go to the next company that you can get hired on with. So I have a list of employers listed on my resume. Some were worked a month, some were worked almost a year. But they are all pipeline and that is the way the pipeline field works.
Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on getting hired on a rig?
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

neon3 in Lake Charles, Louisiana

13 months ago

I am looking for an oil rig offshore job and having no luck. I haven't been able to find anything onshore either. It is a tough field to break into.

As for having so many employers be sure to explain in your cover letter about how your attendance was at those places. I'm sure they know how it is, but telling them how you did on your end might help. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Laurie Estrada in Ganado, Texas

7 months ago

Your best luck would be a oilfield company called DK, located in San Antonio,TX. You can google them online. They just hired my fiance & he has a few months of experience, only 20yrs old, & getting paid $18/hr. I wish you the best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.