Best companies to work for in Jacksonville?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 248)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida

81 months ago

CJ in Bellevue, Washington said: It is illegal but it happened just the same. The only reason you doubt it is because it has never happened to you. You are very naive. Of course, your naivity isn't your fault. You haven't ever experienced these things in the sheltered world that you live in, so how would you know that it happens? However, the danger is in not acknowledging it once it is brought to your attention.

No, I am not sheltered at all… it seems YOU are the one that was sheltered… with your one dimensional viewpoint and your one experience in Jacksonville. If you were not so sheltered… maybe you would have been able to experience something more than your view of racism.
But really… does it matter what you think of Jacksonville anymore or whom you naively call naïve… you have successfully removed yourself from the situation. Why still so bitter??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Bellevue, Washington

81 months ago

I'm bitter because it was a bad experience that lasted 4 years and I feel like I wasted 4 years of my life trying to make something positive out of the situation. I even went so far as to go to work for the Jacksonville Convention and Visitors Bureau to find something positive about the city. I found positive things about the beautiful surroundings, but the people were still awful to us. I then went to work for the community at Lutheran Social Services to try and make a positive difference, and I saw that it wasn't just me that was getting the short end of the stick, but many MANY others. So, don't say I'm sheltered. Again, you are the one that is sheltered. Have you worked 2 years with the disadvantaged in the community only to come against governmental and social obstacles to your efforts and to be told that "those folks don't care about themselve so why should you?" Have you marketed a city only to be told by those that lived there "We don't want their Yankee money?" When you have, then come back to me and talk about being sheltered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I ahve worked, lived and played in all areas of this city and love it still with any faults that some may find.
Yes, I have worked with the disadvantaged. I worked with AmeriCorps and was a reading tutor in our downtown F schools. I worked at Northshore Elementary with kids that only wanted to talk to me about their horrible home life instead of reading. I worked for Duval County Schools as an Autistic Paraprofessionals and saw many injustices for the disabled. I run a cancer foundation now and fight for the rights of patients that will pass away before the qualify for Medicaid. I have been divorced for 12 years and the mother of 2 so I have definitely seen my share of struggles and injustices. Give me a break - you're not the only one that has had a hard life. as i've said in a prior posting - it's HOW you look at your life and WHAT you do with it that matters. I MAKE Lemonade out of Lemons!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I made lemonade too! I moved! However, I'm still not going to EVER forgive Jacksonville for those awful 4 years. I post here so that folks don't get suckered in like I was and lose portions of their life to that hole. I goal is to help people not make the same mistake that I did. Life in a place where confederate flags bumper stickers aren't on the cars and hearts of it's citizens.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

And again, you fail to ACTUALLY READ my posts! Never ANYWHERE did I say I was the only one to have had a hard life. On the contrary! Many people in Jacksonville CONTINUE TO experience the same things that I experienced there. I'm just trying to shed some light on that instead of covering it up like you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

MrsBea in Canton, Michigan said: I live in Canton, but grew up in Detroit. Canton is about 20 miles from Det. Det is not as bad as the media suggest. The criminals seek the criminals. There are not random selections, the incidents that occur are usually among people who know one another. So why did I move, well, Det is sterotyped when it comes to insurance and costs, it is actually cheaper to live in the surburbs than it is to live in the city. Yes, the schools are much better. People in the city seem to accept the uncleanliness. City people seem to allow the surburbans to come and mess up everything. People work for the city, but don't live in the city. Jobs are given to people who live in the surburbs. Yes, we are relocating because the job market in MI is terrible. We were considering Jacksonville, because it was voted in the top ten for jobs, houseing schools etc. But after the negative feedback from above, I may reconsider. I love Canton, and am looking for a community just like it, but with better paying surrounding job market. The houseing market looks a lot better than here as far a cost.

I grew up in Michigan. Canton is a wonderful City! I lived very close to there while growing up. If you enjoy Michigan, DON'T MOVE TO JACKSONVILLE! They aren't as friendly as they are in Michigan and you won't have the same services that you're used to. Public transportation isn't the same as well as other services AND people are very unfriendly once they find out that you're a Yankee (from up North...No, it has nothing to do with the Baseball Team. LOL!) This is something that I found out first hand. If you like Canton, then the environment of Jacksonville is not for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

CJ in Bellevue, Washington said: And again, you fail to ACTUALLY READ my posts! Never ANYWHERE did I say I was the only one to have had a hard life. On the contrary! Many people in Jacksonville CONTINUE TO experience the same things that I experienced there. I'm just trying to shed some light on that instead of covering it up like you are.

There is nothing to cover up. Did you try to actually make 'lemonade' here in Jax before moving?? You mistake my happiness for nativity. Did you try watching the sunset, walking on the beach, watching the dolphins play in the River, jogging across the bridges, strolling along the Riverwalk? All those choices are free and infuse happiness into your life and it doesn't matter what race you are to enjoy them. You can't judge an entire city on only the experiences you had. Those experiences are shared by many races and shouldn't define a life. The times you spent herre may have been bad for you but what I'm trying to say is that there are many, many other wonderful experiences you missed out on because you may not have tried.

I'm glad you weren't bashing Jax when I decided to move here!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

CJ in Bellevue, Washington said: I grew up in Michigan. Canton is a wonderful City! I lived very close to there while growing up. If you enjoy Michigan, DON'T MOVE TO JACKSONVILLE! They aren't as friendly as they are in Michigan and you won't have the same services that you're used to. Public transportation isn't the same as well as other services AND people are very unfriendly once they find out that you're a Yankee (from up North...No, it has nothing to do with the Baseball Team. LOL!) This is something that I found out first hand. If you like Canton, then the environment of Jacksonville is not for you.

I'm originally from Chicago and haven't run into the 'Northern bashing' during my past 19 years here. Sorry for your negative experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Sigh... I think that actually taking a job where I was paid to learn about and promote the beauty of the city would qualify as trying. However, the negative experiences outweighed my best efforts.

My brother in law came to visit us in Jacksonville one time while I was working for the Convention and Visitors Bureau. I used all of my knowledge of the city to give him a 1st class tour. It was going great because (of course) the weather and the sheer beauty of the land were not going to dissappoint. Of course, the people were.

We were eating outside at a restaurant and my brohter in law asked a teenager passing by to take a picture of us under a palm tree (we don't have those in Michigan). As the teen proceeded to take the picture, a nearby patron of the restaurant said (Oh yes...loud enough for us to hear) "HEY! CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY ASKING THAT WHITE GUY TO TAKE THEIR PICTURE?!? WHERE DO THEY THINK THEY ARE ANYWAY?" As a representative of the city, I was personally embarrassed. Perhaps attitudes like that were the reason I couldn't really enjoy the beauty around me. It is hard to ignore stuff like that when you have to deal with it everyday. I don't deal with that stuff here in Seattle. All I have to do is wake up everyday, work hard, take care of my family and be me. I'm so grateful.

Of course, I'm sure you'll discount this experience too as something I imagined, or misheard, or perhaps I didn't try hard enough to understand the other patrons point of view. So be it. I don't have to deal with it anymore and that's all that matters. I just don't want anyone else to have to deal with it either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

[QUOTE who="CJ in Bellevue, Washington
i do understand your point of view and don't discount your experiences - i'm not saying these things didn't happen to you.i'm not being naive because i know this happens-but i guess i'm just shocked.i have had many, many experiences in this city with all different cultures. i have taken my sons and their friends to many places:movies,outings,mall,beach, lunch;this includes black, white, asian and hispanic friends and have never-and i mean never-heard anyone say or do anything close to that.i've volunteered downtown in mixed company, i've volunteered for the 'race for the cure' with many black and white volunteers and again have never seen a look, heard a racist remark or even a joke. so, i am just shocked that something was said as you described above.the only racism i have experienced was about a year ago- i took my son to get his FL ID card from the DMV.we arrived without an appointment(appts. not needed) and was told by the check in clerk that they were full and i would have to go home and make an appt. online. She was black; not that that should matter. As we turned to leave,that same clerk bent over backwards to help the black woman behind us in line. Gave her an address for another dmv location, gave her a printed sheet with a map/address, and nicely told her to hurry so she could make it there before they closed. Now, I wouldn't have cared much but my son(13 at the time)who again has a mixed group of friends and not one bone of racism in his body looked at me funny. when we got to the car he said 'mom, did you notice what happened' 'the black clerk helped the black lady in line but didn't help us'. i was surprised that he noticed such an indescretion but he did. i just told times people of the same color like to help each other out. what could i say. luckily, it did not change his values or his views.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Seattle, Washington

81 months ago

Stuff like what you've just described at the DMV, just doesn't happen here and I love it! I felt that everything there was so divided. When I moved here I was afriad that maybe it was really divided like that everywhere and that perhaps the Michigan multiculturalism I'd grown up with was an anomaly(sp) that I wouldn't find again. I'm so happy that I found that and BETTER here. Good Luck to you. Maybe you and the attitude that you're raising your son with can change things there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Thank you and good luck to you too.

Maria in Jacksonville, Florida

81 months ago

sportty04@aol.com said: I do not know why you really want to come to jax. I have been here for the past 10 years and Jacksonville has changed into more of a crime city just like those up north.For example it is not any differnt here than Baltimore. The people are rud and do not know how to drive. They do not take bikers on the road seriously. If i did not buy my house and if it wasn't for the weather i would move to a more remote area like arizona. My opinioon only.

CRIME HAS INCREASED HERE BUT TO BE HONEST I THINK IT'S DUE TO ALL THESE UP NORTH PEOPLE COMING HERE, GETTING BORED AND CAUSING TROUBLEN (I KNOW A LOW BLOW...LOL)!!!!!!!! STOP BAD MOUTHING WHERE YOU LIVE AND BE PROACTIVE TO FIGHT CRIME OR BETTER YET GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM OR GO TO WHERE YOU WILL FEEL SAFER (EVEN THOUGH CRIME HAPPENS EVERYWHERE, NO PLACE IS IMMUNED FROM CRIME)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

CRIME HAS INCREASED HERE BUT TO BE HONEST I THINK IT'S DUE TO ALL THESE UP NORTH PEOPLE COMING HERE, GETTING BORED AND CAUSING TROUBLEN (I KNOW A LOW BLOW...LOL)!!!!!!!! STOP BAD MOUTHING WHERE YOU LIVE AND BE PROACTIVE TO FIGHT CRIME OR BETTER YET GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM OR GO TO WHERE YOU WILL FEEL SAFER (EVEN THOUGH CRIME HAPPENS EVERYWHERE, NO PLACE IS IMMUNED FROM CRIME)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

CRIME HAS INCREASED HERE BUT TO BE HONEST I THINK IT'S DUE TO ALL THESE UP NORTH PEOPLE COMING HERE, GETTING BORED AND CAUSING TROUBLEN (I KNOW A LOW BLOW...LOL)!!!!!!!! STOP BAD MOUTHING WHERE YOU LIVE AND BE PROACTIVE TO FIGHT CRIME OR BETTER YET GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM OR GO TO WHERE YOU WILL FEEL SAFER (EVEN THOUGH CRIME HAPPENS EVERYWHERE, NO PLACE IS IMMUNED FROM CRIME REMEMBER THAT)

81 months ago

CRIME HAS INCREASED HERE BUT TO BE HONEST I THINK IT'S DUE TO ALL THESE UP NORTH PEOPLE COMING HERE, GETTING BORED AND CAUSING TROUBLEN (I KNOW A LOW BLOW...LOL)!!!!!!!! STOP BAD MOUTHING WHERE YOU LIVE AND BE PROACTIVE TO FIGHT CRIME OR BETTER YET GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM OR GO TO WHERE YOU WILL FEEL SAFER (EVEN THOUGH CRIME HAPPENS EVERYWHERE, NO PLACE IS IMMUNED FROM CRIME REMEMBER THAT)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

I THINK I SENT THIS ENOUGH I HOPE EVERYONE GETS IT. IF NOT STILL KUDOS TO YOU GINGER!!!!!!!!!

Jeanne Breault in Atlantic Beach, Florida

80 months ago

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida said: J in Seattle - So, by reading my posts you gathered an opinion of me...I am divorced, work full-time but still seem to volunteer at school/church/community and enjoy life to the fullest. I live in a low to average incomed neighborhood and have had my share of struggles. I 'find a way' to have, try or experience everything! I am certainly not sheltered and have exposed myself and sons to many diverse experiences making them and I very well-rounded, well-educated and open-minded. I always joke with my sons that they have an 'international circle of friends' and they really do.

As I stated in my posts above - you do not need money to enjoy Jax's riches. You do not need to be rich or white or a stay at home mom to have a full, bountiful life here. You do, however, need to have a positive attitude and see the greatness in your surroundings.
IT'S ALL IN HOW YOU LOOK AT THE THINGS AROUND YOU.
Take advantage of everything this city has to offer and you will see it very differently...You do not have to be affluent and privilaged(which I am neither) to be elevated to a higher status in this community - you just have to be involved in it!

I'm so glad you covered the topics you did! Too many people have a negative impression of Jacksonville! Yes, we do have our problems, but what city doesn't? Overall, I think our good points outweigh our "less than good" points. And what's great is that city leaders and influencers are well aware of the negative issues and are taking steps to change those issues at the root level.

In the past, when people criticized the Jacksonville area and its beautiful beaches, I used to think, "Fine, more room for those of us who live here to enjoy what's available in Jacksonville!"

Now, as a real estate agent, I have a vested interest in wanting people find the Jacksonville area an attractive place to live and buy a home. :-)

Thanks for your help with that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Somebody in Jacksonville, Florida

80 months ago

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida said: Those with the negative comments on Jax have no doubt had a bad experience here. But that happens anywhere. Anytown has those that like and appreciate it and those that don't.

I'm just glad that I found Jax 20 years ago when I moved here from the suburbs of Chicago. I came for vacation and then moved here a few months later - that's how much of a gem I thought Jax was and as it grows I love it even more!

If anyone would like to experience a different Jax - let me know and I'll reply with lists of events, activities, jobs and career paths, etc...

There is so much here that I would love for everyone to experience it!

Wrong. You don't even represent the majority of Americans so come down off of your dissillusioned soapbox and stop trying to 'explain' why you feel people don't like the great city which is Jacksonville.

Most Jacksonville people do not share your views. Sorry.

I personally am unemployed and actively looking, but those that have jobs are underpaid and hate what they're forced to do. Not to mention the harsh reality that nobody wants to mention, is that Jacksonville FL is FAAAAAR FROM a glamorous, fun or safe city.

Seems to me that people like you are the reason why our economy is failing. While you're living in lala land, the majority of the workers that you encounter are struggling to stay afloat.

I WISH I had enough money to boast about how great Jacksonville, FL is. Or FLORIDA, for that matter.

I'm going to catch major flack for this...

But I'm sure you're also always looking for someone to come and save you when another disagrees with your off base theories.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Iris L. Mullen in Jacksonville, Florida

80 months ago

Allan Hoffman CTC in Fernandina Beach, Florida said: The city of Jacksonville offers a number of major players to consider. For the healthcare industry Baptist Medical Centers, St Vincent's Hospital, Brooks Rehabilitation all employ BBA's. Now Marriott Hotels (Belfort Rd and Sawgrass),The Lodge at Ponte Vedra, The Renaissance World Golf Village, Crown Plaza, and Omni pretty much cover Hospitality. Gate Petroleum, CIT, and CSX in ther other category. Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Aetna,Avmed for insurance. Jacksonville is developing what kind of work do you want to do and I will direct you to some good companies.

Hi,

Just wanted to share with you that two of the 10 best companies to work for listed (blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida and CSX are wonderful companies, however, it is extremely difficult to get hired due to the competition, I worked for a total of 8 years with CSX (5 years as a temp and 2 and 1/2 years as a full time employee as I was downsized back in 2004). The only way I became a full time employee was due to a wonderful manager who mentored me when I was a temp. The best way to become employed with some of the major corporate players in Jacksonville is to registered with the major temp agencies such as Kelly, Randstad, Custom Staffing et al.

Good Luck to all and God Bless.

Iris L. Mullen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Somebody in Jacksonville, Florida said: Wrong. You don't even represent the majority of Americans so come down off of your dissillusioned soapbox and stop trying to 'explain' why you feel people don't like the great city which is Jacksonville.

I personally am unemployed and actively looking, but those that have jobs are underpaid and hate what they're forced to do. Not to mention the harsh reality that nobody wants to mention, is that Jacksonville FL is FAAAAAR FROM a glamorous, fun or safe city.

Seems to me that people like you are the reason why our economy is failing. While you're living in lala land, the majority of the workers that you encounter are struggling to stay afloat.

I WISH I had enough money to boast about how great Jacksonville, FL is. Or FLORIDA, for that matter.

But I'm sure you're also always looking for someone to come and save you when another disagrees with your off base theories.

I can understand your frustration with the economy and being unemployed... i've been there and done that... BUT you are way off base with your assessments of me and BTW I certainly don't need someone to 'come and save me'... whatever that means.
You said that you need money to be able to boast about Jacksonville... well, I'm telling you that you don't! Most of my posts have been filled with FREE things to do in Jax. Try some of them and maybe you'll feel differently. Let's see this month... you can volunteer for Komen Race for the Cure; check out the FREE ARTWALK downtown this Wednesday and get into MOCA free; volunteer for the Downtown Digs and help clean out the flowerbeds on Laura st.; Oct.11th the Naval Ship will be docked at the Landing for free tours AND free music AND fireworks at the Landing after; Oct.5th Free ARTFUSION at MOCA for families; every Fri 10-2 fruit/veg market downtown at Hemming Plaza; this wednesday..con'

80 months ago

Somebody in Jacksonville, Florida said: Wrong. You don't even represent the majority of Americans so come down off of your dissillusioned soapbox and stop trying to 'explain' why you feel people don't like the great city which is Jacksonville.

this Wednesday at the Main Library 7:00pm jazz by the St. Johns River City Band and a gallery of vintage art ALL FREE and as we all have mentioned time and time again... sunsets, beaches, riverwalk, ALL FREE.
I'm NOT in lala land... I'm in Jacksonville - WHERE ARE YOU????? We are ALL struggling right now that doesn't mean you can't enjoy your life, c'mon, be creative! If you are depressed about your employment situation... go to the beach, it's free. I'm not being sarcastic... don't you know that sitting at the beach and watching the rhythm of the waves and hearing the surf has a calming, restorative quality that is very healing. Those beach trips helped me through many bad times... unemployment, divorce, death of a sibling, etc... It's not a solution - it just helps. You think I don't represent most Americans... and you would know this HOW? If you and your circle don't share my views of the city - get out there and experience it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AL in Orange Park in Jacksonville, Florida

79 months ago

After reading thru all the comments above where are the areas or companies pertaining to jobs of Customer Service positions? I have been in this field for over 20 years and just not finding those jobs! My cobra insurance is about to run out and I cant afford the High risk insurance.

I would appreciate any help given for a Full time job with health benefits!

kj in Davenport, Iowa

79 months ago

To CJ in Bellevue, Washington

Hello, I was actually thinking about relocating to Jacksonville, Fl, but from reading these blogs, I may have to re think this. My husband and I have very successful jobs in Iowa. There is crime, but not a lot. From reading your experience in Jacksonville, Fl made me definitely reconsider. Please advise.

Kj

79 months ago

kj in Davenport, Iowa said: To CJ in Bellevue, Washington

Hello, I was actually thinking about relocating to Jacksonville, Fl, but from reading these blogs, I may have to re think this. My husband and I have very successful jobs in Iowa. There is crime, but not a lot. From reading your experience in Jacksonville, Fl made me definitely reconsider. Please advise.

Kj

Come for a visit and then make your own decision. It may be the place for you, and it may not be. Don't solely make your decision based on what you read online. You won't know unless you come and make that determination for your self.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

KJ, learn from me. When you visit, I'd encourage you to do a few things:

1. Take a look at the bumper stickers on the cars. Do they offend you? If so, think about it. If you're comfortable living and working with people on a daily basis who share those views then that's fine. If not, then IT'S NOT FINE! On our visits here, we saw many Confederate Flag bumper stickers as well as other bumper stickers that we found offensive. However, we ignored that and just thought that we were perhaps a little too uptight and that those were just jokes. Turns out, THEY WEREN'T JOKES!!!

2. When you go out to eat or go to church here on your visit, notice the people. Is it a multicultural atmosphere? Do you see people of different races eating and socializing with each other? If you don't and that's fine with you, then perhpas Jacksonville is the place for you. If you don't see that and it's not fine with you, then IT'S NOT FINE!!! Now, some folks have told me that Jacksonville has changed since I escaped there 8 years ago and that people do socialize and go to church together now. Maybe it has changed, but I only know what I saw 8 years ago and change is slow.

3. Also, notice the people in the service industry. Are they primarily of one race or is it multicultural? Think about what you notice and think about if it is fine with you.

4. Look at the jobs that are available in the paper. Are they in your field? Do they pay what you'd expect or does it seem a little low. If you're fine with the availability of jobs and the pay then it's fine. If you're not ok with the job availability and the pay, think about it very carefully.

These are things that we noticed upon our many visits, but ignored because the place was so beautiful. In retrospect, I wish that we'd gone with our gut feeling and not wasted those precious 4 years.

tony lever in Jacksonville, Florida

79 months ago

i am in jacksonville florida now and i am looking for a good job i have many skills and was an industrail painter for 25 yearsin illinois i am also operate a fork lift... jlg... scissor lifts reach trucks.... and order pickers

Rad

79 months ago

The traffic is HORRIFIC. Need I say more???

Rad

79 months ago

we have High Unemployment here as well. Thanks to President Bush.

Kimberly in Bardstown, Kentucky

79 months ago

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida said: Those with the negative comments on Jax have no doubt had a bad experience here. But that happens anywhere. Anytown has those that like and appreciate it and those that don't.

I'm just glad that I found Jax 20 years ago when I moved here from the suburbs of Chicago. I came for vacation and then moved here a few months later - that's how much of a gem I thought Jax was and as it grows I love it even more!

If anyone would like to experience a different Jax - let me know and I'll reply with lists of events, activities, jobs and career paths, etc...

There is so much here that I would love for everyone to experience it!

HI! My husband and I are more than ready to move when our lease is up in February. We currently live in the suburbs of Louisville, Kentucky. My brother and his girlfriend are moving with us, as well as two children. I am trying to find a decent position there; I have lots of experience in the administrative field, but there don't seem to be any companies really hiring around there. I think we are going to end up moving around the Oakleaf Plantation area; great deals on houses there, plus the amenities! FYI people, we pay $900 per month where we live, and don't have anything close to what there is in jax for the same price. That is one reason why we are moving, not to mention jobs are disappearing around here; my husband has a hard time finding work, as does my brother. And the schools in jax have to be higher rated than ours around here!! Plus, best of all, NO MORE SNOW:)

79 months ago

CJ in Seattle, Washington said: It was 8 years ago yesterday that my husbad and I were fortunate enough to leave that RACIST HOLE of a city that you love (and that we wasted 4 years of our life in) called Jacksonville, FL. And yes, the Northwest "serves" us with everything we need including a safe and non-racist environment, a great PUBLIC school for our child (which we don't have to pay for or bus to), great jobs (my husband's income has tripled in 8 years and mine has almost doubled), home ownership (being Black in Jacksonville, realtors wouldn't show us homes in areas that we wanted to live in) and a fantastic public transit system (you can go from one county to another for $2.50! So thanks for the advice Jennifer, but we've already taken it and you're right...We are VERY Happy! :-)

FYI- I have a couple of friends that are happily married there, and he is black and she is white. They are the primary reason we thought about moving to Jax, and they haven't had ANY trouble whatsoever with racism. And they live in Orange park; I think some people are simply obsesses with racism, and need to be comfortable in their own skin before they accuse everyone of hating them!! Just my opinion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rad

79 months ago

I moved here in April 2008 and It's now the end of October and I still haven't found work. I have a degree in Business and lots of experience. I was so happy to leave Ohio where I am from and I'm very disappointed. My lease is up in April and I will be leaving Jax. It's true what they say about Florida that you move here once you retire so you don't have to worry about finding work. Now I'm thinking of Houston, Atlanta and/or Charlotte.

79 months ago

You didn't live thre Kimberly and I did. Plus, Orange Park IS NOT JACKSONVILLE!!!! There IS A BIG DIFFERENCE!!! Orange Park was one of the places we used to visit when we wanted to be treated like Human Beings on a night out. However, because the pay was so low in the Jax area, we couldn't afford to LIVE in Orange park.

The Hodges in Jacksonville, Florida

79 months ago

I have lived in Jacksonville since 1995. At first I loved it. I came from a small town and loved all easy access to services and such. bought my first home here,before the housing boom. got a wonderful sale price for it in a really nice neighborhood. the schools i have had problems with since I enrolled my son 15 years ago. They are full of educated idiots. Most People I know home school. i should have. but you really need 2 incomes these days to be able to live here. maybe anywhere. buy especially here. My company has failed to give raises now 2 years in a row due to hard financial times. but I guess my boss is doing fine he and his wife just got brand new expensive cars and 2 boats. My husband has been out of work on and off since January, he was laid off due to the slumping construction market and got 3 new jobs and was laid off from them for the same reason. The last contractor bounced his payroll check to us and has gone out of business. He has been looking for work everywhere, he has a military background is educated and is a Journeyman electrician. I feel lucky to just have a job. My son graduated in June has yet to get hired anywhere, and is leaving for job corps as we can not afford to pay for college as we have gone thru all of our back up savings and money to keep the bills paid. If I loose my job we are leaving Jacksonville and heading home. I am sick of fighting for jobs here. There are over 900,000 Floridians out of work.

kaycee706@yahoo.com in Bardstown, Kentucky

79 months ago

The Hodges in Jacksonville, Florida said: I have lived in Jacksonville since 1995. At first I loved it. I came from a small town and loved all easy access to services and such. bought my first home here,before the housing boom. got a wonderful sale price for it in a really nice neighborhood. the schools i have had problems with since I enrolled my son 15 years ago. They are full of educated idiots. Most People I know home school. i should have. but you really need 2 incomes these days to be able to live here. maybe anywhere. buy especially here. My company has failed to give raises now 2 years in a row due to hard financial times. but I guess my boss is doing fine he and his wife just got brand new expensive cars and 2 boats. My husband has been out of work on and off since January, he was laid off due to the slumping construction market and got 3 new jobs and was laid off from them for the same reason. The last contractor bounced his payroll check to us and has gone out of business. He has been looking for work everywhere, he has a military background is educated and is a Journeyman electrician. I feel lucky to just have a job. My son graduated in June has yet to get hired anywhere, and is leaving for job corps as we can not afford to pay for college as we have gone thru all of our back up savings and money to keep the bills paid. If I loose my job we are leaving Jacksonville and heading home. I am sick of fighting for jobs here. There are over 900,000 Floridians out of work.

Well, my husband is a foreman and my brother is a machinist. There are lots of jobs down there for people like them; the companies don't seem to be packing up and moving away down there like they are here. It is scary everywhere right now, not just Jacksonville. However, just to prove my point, go to www.louisvillehelpwanted.com and you will see there are less than 2000 jobs here. Go to jacksonvillehelpwanted.com and you will see there are over 9000 jobs there. Hmmm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

arlene in Decatur, Alabama

79 months ago

My family and I are planning to move to Jacksonville Fl. , we are moving from Hartselle Al.I'm excited and a little nervous due to the messages that have been posted. But I believe that life is what you make it. Racism , crime etc. is everywhere now days, wherever you are you should try to make it a better place . I have that a lot of times it's your attitude that describes your enviroment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Quarkbar in Jacksonville, Florida

78 months ago

Whether or not one likes Jacksonville, I find it amusing that CJ in Washington has moved away from Jax and yet can't seem to stop talking about it. Sounds like someone is still very bitter and instead of moving on and enjoying Washington, just can't let go. Guess there is still sand in CJ's shoes? Come back and try us again !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon

78 months ago

Quarkbar in Jacksonville, Florida said: Whether or not one likes Jacksonville, I find it amusing that CJ in Washington has moved away from Jax and yet can't seem to stop talking about it. Sounds like someone is still very bitter and instead of moving on and enjoying Washington, just can't let go. Guess there is still sand in CJ's shoes? Come back and try us again !!

I will NEVER visit Jacksonville again and I certainly wouldn't EVER live there again. I'm just trying to prevent someone else's suffering. If someone had warned my husband and I before we moved there, it would have saved us 4 years of misery.

The Northwest DOES RULE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon said: I will NEVER visit Jacksonville again and I certainly wouldn't EVER live there again. I'm just trying to prevent someone else's suffering. If someone had warned my husband and I before we moved there, it would have saved us 4 years of misery.

The Northwest DOES RULE!

No need to try and keep people from our great city. Maybe things were different when you were here; although I was here then and didn't notice it. But, as you know, we have a new president that Florida helped to elect. He also almost won in Duval county (Jax); which is very different then in the past. What you experienced is different now so let people come here and make up there own minds... geeez! In one of your prior posts - you mentioned that we all need to look at the bumper stickers on cars to see what you mean... well, my sons and I did just that and I did not see anything derogatory towards blacks or any other minority and I can't recall ever seeing either. But, this time we were really on the lookout and didn't see a thing. In fact, what we did notice was pride for a diverse city. We saw different nationalities displaying stickers and little flags from their countries. I can remember 15-20 years ago seeing very FEW civil war flags but they were usually on hunting trucks and I don't see them anymore.
I guess, just let people experience it for themselves and stop the hate. This country is moving towards UNITY if you will let it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon

78 months ago

I noticed that Obama DID NOT win win Duval County. That's no suprise for me though. Change is slow. I'll participate in the unification of the country from the relative safety of the already unified Northwest Thanks! But you guys keep working on it down there. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon said: I noticed that Obama DID NOT win win Duval County. That's no suprise for me though. Change is slow. I'll participate in the unification of the country from the relative safety of the already unified Northwest Thanks! But you guys keep working on it down there. Good Luck!

True, he did not win in Duval; however the point i was making is that it was VERY close; which has never happened here before. The republican party was surprised at how many new democrats are in this area. I believe 42,000 newly registered here. So, although he did not win here things are changing bigtime because it was very close. No place is already unified - but change is coming.

78 months ago

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida said: No need to try and keep people from our great city. Maybe things were different when you were here; although I was here then and didn't notice it. But, as you know, we have a new president that Florida helped to elect. He also almost won in Duval county (Jax); which is very different then in the past. What you experienced is different now so let people come here and make up there own minds... geeez! In one of your prior posts - you mentioned that we all need to look at the bumper stickers on cars to see what you mean... well, my sons and I did just that and I did not see anything derogatory towards blacks or any other minority and I can't recall ever seeing either. But, this time we were really on the lookout and didn't see a thing. In fact, what we did notice was pride for a diverse city. We saw different nationalities displaying stickers and little flags from their countries. I can remember 15-20 years ago seeing very FEW civil war flags but they were usually on hunting trucks and I don't see them anymore.
I guess, just let people experience it for themselves and stop the hate. This country is moving towards UNITY if you will let it.

A civil war flag doesn't imply prejudicism anyway; around here it stands for FREEDOM, which is what this country is supposedly all about. I have visited Jacksonville several times, and have not seen any of the things CJ refers to either. If you want to see REAL racism, and real segregation, visit Kentucky. You amuse me, CJ. I and everyone else that has read this forum understand that you hated Jacksonville. However, that is your opinion. Mine is that it is a beautiful, and diverse city, and offers a lot of opportunity. Peace- figure out what it is, then have some! :)

78 months ago

Would be nice if CJ would tell us all something nice about where ashe lives, we're interested.

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon

78 months ago

I've had wonderful Peace since I left Jacksonville. Like I've said many times, I just want to warn people so they don't get sucked in and suffer like I did. I'll continue to tell the truth about what I experienced in Jacksonville. You can spread half-truths if you want. It is your right to do so, just like it is mine to tell folks about what I experienced.

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon

78 months ago

Quarkbar in Jacksonville, Florida said: Would be nice if CJ would tell us all something nice about where ashe lives, we're interested.

I live in the wonderful Seattle area. The weather is temperate. Never too hot and never too cold. People are consistantly friendly and the mood is very kind and liberal. The schools are wonderful no matter where you live in the area, so there is no need to send your kids across town to go to a magnet school. My husband's income and mine have doubled since we moved here. I can walk down the street and not feel afraid. If I park my car and leave it unlocked, it is still there and undamaged when I return. There are no confederate flags flying ANYWHERE and I feel safe.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon

78 months ago

Kimberly in Bardstown, Kentucky said: A civil war flag doesn't imply prejudicism anyway; around here it stands for FREEDOM, which is what this country is supposedly all about. I have visited Jacksonville several times, and have not seen any of the things CJ refers to either. If you want to see REAL racism, and real segregation, visit Kentucky. You amuse me, CJ. I and everyone else that has read this forum understand that you hated Jacksonville. However, that is your opinion. Mine is that it is a beautiful, and diverse city, and offers a lot of opportunity. Peace- figure out what it is, then have some! :)

If you live in KY, you'll feel right at home in Jacksonville so good for you! Actually, I take that back because I'm sure Jacksonville isn't quite as bad as Kentucky. My father was almost beaten to death in Kentucky when he stopped to ask for directions many years ago. Of course, the police never did anything about it then and in Jacksonville they would have at least investigated. So that will be a little bit of an improvement for you! Good for you Kim!

78 months ago

I knew someone from Seattle - it is a musician's haven. But I thought it rains most of the year and has a climate much like England; not temperate at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon

78 months ago

It only rains a lot in the winter. Rain is our winter instead of snow. You're right about the musician's haven. All of the first rate acts come here.

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon

78 months ago

Quarkbar in Jacksonville, Florida said: Would be nice if CJ would tell us all something nice about where ashe lives, we're interested.

More good things about Seattle!!!

We're home to the famous Pikes Place Market and we're surrounded by the gorgeous Puget Sound. In addition, Seattle is home to about half a dozen 1st class universities including the University of Washington. Our hospitals are wonderful here due to the University of Washington medical network.

In addition to being a musician's haven (thank you MomInJax) it is also a magnet for all of the arts. Artists are allowed to thrive here and have 1st rate museums in which to showcase their work. It is actually possible to be an artist and make a living here which is great! It is a pretty area because there is art EVERYWHERE! Also, all of the Broadway shows come here in a timely fashion and we get all of the good concerts here also because of the plethera of venues to choose from.

It is also easy to live a healthy lifestyle here because most workplaces here have wellness initiatives which give percentatges off of health club dues and also give medical insurance discounts for choosing a healthy lifestyle. Also, there are broader healthy choices in the grocery stores here which don't cost an arm and a leg.

78 months ago

I've heard you can walk almost anywhere....What does an "average" 3br 2ba cost comapred to Jax? And what are the major industries? I thought they were mostly all tech? Sorry your Jax experience wasn't so nice but it sounds like you are in a good place now..

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.