Best companies to work for in Jacksonville?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 249)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Quarkbar in Jacksonville, Florida

72 months ago

I've heard you can walk almost anywhere....What does an "average" 3br 2ba cost comapred to Jax? And what are the major industries? I thought they were mostly all tech? Sorry your Jax experience wasn't so nice but it sounds like you are in a good place now..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon

72 months ago

Quarkbar in Jacksonville, Florida said: I've heard you can walk almost anywhere....What does an "average" 3br 2ba cost comapred to Jax? And what are the major industries? I thought they were mostly all tech? Sorry your Jax experience wasn't so nice but it sounds like you are in a good place now..

Seattle is a metropolis so how much you pay depends on what area you live in. We live right on the outskirts of the city and we paid $200,000 for our 4 bedroom 2 bathroom home 7 years ago. The economy is such now that there are definitely deals to be had.

The major industries here are Telecommunications (Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile and AT&T are all here), Tech (Microsoft, Google, and other assorted computer companies are here), Aerospace (Boeing still has their plants in Renton and Everett), Insurance (Liberty Mutual, PEMCO), Banking (just pick a bank) and we've got GOBS of hospitals so there is always a hospital job to be had here.

The region is VERY walker friendly. In addition, you can get almost anywhere by the local bus systems here (from one county to another in fact) and it doesn't cost a whole lot either. Plus, they are introducing a light rail system countywide next year and it is sure to be SWEET. Right now, they've tested out light rail in Tacoma, WA and OMG! Did I already use the phrase SWEET? Let me use it again...SWEET!!!

We are in an extreamly good place now. Thank you so much. Folks here are kinder than I could have ever imagined. The Jax experience changed me, so when I moved here I was honestly afraid of people. But the folks here have been so kind that I feel I can relax a little and be myself. It's been a long time coming.

Kimberly in Bardstown, Kentucky

72 months ago

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon said: If you live in KY, you'll feel right at home in Jacksonville so good for you! Actually, I take that back because I'm sure Jacksonville isn't quite as bad as Kentucky. My father was almost beaten to death in Kentucky when he stopped to ask for directions many years ago. Of course, the police never did anything about it then and in Jacksonville they would have at least investigated. So that will be a little bit of an improvement for you! Good for you Kim!

I believe you are implying that I am racist. I am most certainly not racist. I SIMPLY SAID THAT KENTUCKY IS SEGROGATED, AND THAT JACKSONVILLE ISN'T. YOUR FATHER GOT BEAT IN KENTUCKY. HMMM. RODNEY KING GOT BEAT, AS WELL. AND PEOPLE GET BEAT EVERY DAY, IN EVERY CITY IN THE US, YES EVEN IN SEATTLE. I AM GLAD YOU DON'T LIVE IN JACKSONVILLE ANYMORE SO I WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT RUNNING INTO A LOSER LIKE YOU. And as far as the weather in Seattle, I lived in Seattle for several months on an internship, and THE WEATHER THERE SUCKS, AND BLACK PEOPLE THERE SEEM TO HAVE THEIR NOSES TURNED UP IN THE AIR TOWARD ME; when I passed them on the street, I smiled; they just looked away as if to say they are better than me or something. So JC, take your Seattle. Perhaps that is where you fit in because that is how you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon

72 months ago

Woah! Looks like somebody has a complex! Looks like you have some issues within yourself that you need to examine. Have fun with that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon

72 months ago

Kimberly in Bardstown, Kentucky said: I believe you are implying that I am racist. I am most certainly not racist. I SIMPLY SAID THAT KENTUCKY IS SEGROGATED, AND THAT JACKSONVILLE ISN'T. YOUR FATHER GOT BEAT IN KENTUCKY. HMMM. RODNEY KING GOT BEAT, AS WELL. AND PEOPLE GET BEAT EVERY DAY, IN EVERY CITY IN THE US, YES EVEN IN SEATTLE. I AM GLAD YOU DON'T LIVE IN JACKSONVILLE ANYMORE SO I WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT RUNNING INTO A LOSER LIKE YOU. And as far as the weather in Seattle, I lived in Seattle for several months on an internship, and THE WEATHER THERE SUCKS, AND BLACK PEOPLE THERE SEEM TO HAVE THEIR NOSES TURNED UP IN THE AIR TOWARD ME; when I passed them on the street, I smiled; they just looked away as if to say they are better than me or something. So JC, take your Seattle. Perhaps that is where you fit in because that is how you are.

1. I'm sorry that happened to you in Seattle.

2. I'm not going to be towards you like some of the people on this board have been towards me when I've relayed my bad experiences about Jacksonville.

3. I'm not going to try to discount your experience and make you believe that your experience here wasn't valid because it was VALID TO YOU!!! It was important to you.

4. However, I will say that I've known nothing but kindness from people here in Seattle of ALL COLORS. This is the kindest place I've ever lived and folks here of all colors and religions have opend their hearts to me and my family. I hope you can find the same in Jacksonville, but I do urge you to be cautious.

Quarkbar in Jacksonville, Florida

72 months ago

I thought we were getting a good dialogue going here--- but Kimberly your note made me flinch and it wasn't even directed at me! Can we tone at least down the harsh language towards each other ? CJ I can almsot visualize Seattle and it sounds very progressive. If we EVER get a metro or adequate bus system here I will jump for joy. I have lived in DC and theirs is so fine!

72 months ago

I apologize for offending anyone; however I am beginning to get frustrated due to CJ's comments. CJ implied that I am racist, because I am from Kentucky, and that I would be fine in Jacksonville because of that. I don't understand how anyone can have such grief over a city. If I were unhappy somewhere, I would simply leave. And ya know, it isn't that deep. Around here, there are a lot of different races. Whether the majority of people here agree or not, that is how it is. I personally have never had any issues with anyone of a different race; however, in Seattle, there is definitely a disrespect toward white people. And yes, the weather is miserable. It is dreary there constantly! I became depressed there because it seemed as if the only time the sun ever came out was for about two and a half hours a day, and there was always a wind blowing. Not a simple breeze, but a cold wind! Perhaps that is one reason I would enjoy Florida. I hate snow and cold weather. CJ, I will ask you though, please put all opinions aside, and tell me why on earth two civilized adults, one with a very good education and almost ten years of experience, and the other whom is successful with his own business, couldn't succeed down there? If you feel specifically as to why you didn't succeed down there, please fill me in. I just don't get into all the "people are racist" bit because in all reality, this is 2008, not 1958; therefore, I don't believe there is much racism left in the world, and certainly no room left for it.

CJ in Seattle, Washington

72 months ago

"Disrespect towards White People" Kim? Did you actually just write that? Are you even paying attention to what you write and how that might appear to other people, even White people? You do know that other people can read your posts right? Good Lord! In light of all of that I'm going to let your comments stand on their own merit and just wish you luck in Jacksonville. I wish Jacksonville luck too. Oye Vey!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Quarkbar in Jacksonville, Florida said: I thought we were getting a good dialogue going here--- but Kimberly your note made me flinch and it wasn't even directed at me! Can we tone at least down the harsh language towards each other ? CJ I can almsot visualize Seattle and it sounds very progressive. If we EVER get a metro or adequate bus system here I will jump for joy. I have lived in DC and theirs is so fine!

Thanks Quark! Anyway, the bus system here is something to behold. On one of our visits here I was floored to find out that you could get from Seattle to Tacoma (which is in an entirely different county) in under an hour for less than $3.00. People usually get to work by bus here if they can. Of course people complain about the bus system still, but it is because they just don't know how good they've got it.

I remember trying to get to Regency Square once by bus in Jax and OMG!!!! I finally decided to get off of the bus and walk. It took an hour and a half to walk there and I still beat the bus that I'd been traveling on. I was soaked in sweat though. Here I'd just be soaked in rain but that's ok. Actually, here someone would offer you a ride. It is just that type of place.

72 months ago

Yes, I did say that I felt left out, and I do feel strongly that it was because I am not of "other ethnicities". However, CJ I do have a question for you. Did you actually accept a position in the Jacksonville area before you decided to relocate there, or did you just save some money and move in, then go job hunting? I do happen to know the job market in Jax is quite competitive, and not just from reading this forum. I would like to point out to everyone (take it however you like) I have submitted my resume and credentials to roughly 50 different companies in the area, and have had about 35 call backs for interviews. That is somewhat low, for my field of employment. As far as the salaries, they are significantly higher than around here, but the cost of living is supposedly 11% higher than it is here as well. So my advice to anyone thinking of moving to Jacksonville, or anywhere for that matter in this day and time, is to do thorough research beforehand and have a job in the bag before you uproot.

CJ in Mercer Island, Washington

72 months ago

My husband and I were in our mid-20's and VERY idealistic in 1996, so we moved to Jacksonville because my husband had been accepted to Florida Coastal School of Law in Jacksonville. He'd ALWAYS wanted to attend law school and I'd alwys wanted to live someplace warm. So no, we didn't have jobs when we moved there, just a dream, youth and lots of stamina. We'd visited a few times and I'd interviewed for jobs each time. I did eventually land a job at the TV Station that I'd interviewed at prior to the move. We figured that this would be a way to have both of our dreams come true. Sometimes, your dreams don't always work out the way you think they're going to despite your best efforts. Turned out that the Law School wasn't very good and Jacksonville wasn't Orlando. Oh well. Moving to Seattle, we visited only a little more but we did do LOTS more research because we didn't want to have another bad result. However, we didn't have jobs when we moved to Seattle either. We found work within 1 week of being here though that paid more than our previous jobs in Jacksoville. In fact, my 1st temp job here in Seattle paid more than my management job in Jacksonville and it's been pretty decent ever since.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Who cares in Gainesville, Florida

71 months ago

You all are ridiculous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bea in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

Like many others posting here, my husband and I have decided to relocate to the Jax area. Five years ago we attended a convention in Orlando, adn on teh way back stopped for a couple of days in St. Augustine. I fell in love with town. Becasueof family comittments, we were unable to move. My mother recently passed away, and now seems like a fine time to make a move. At 50, I would like to make a new start somewhere before I get too much older.

I don't realy know that much about the area except what I have read (exhaustively)on line. Our plan is to move, with or without a job. I must say I am now concerned about that from postings on this and other sites. I have alot of experience in many different areas. I do not expect to be compensated similarly to what I currently make, but have to have compensation in the $30,000. I am currently a director of a small non-profit, addtionally have over 20 years of administrative adn sales exp. Is this a realistic expection?

We had also planned on purchasing a house immediately. However, it seems that if the job market is that bad, maybe this is not such a great idea?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida

71 months ago

Bea in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Like many others posting here, my husband and I have decided to relocate to the Jax area. Five years ago we attended a convention in Orlando, adn on teh way back stopped for a couple of days in St. Augustine. I fell in love with town. Becasueof family comittments, we were unable to move. My mother recently passed away, and now seems like a fine time to make a move. At 50, I would like to make a new start somewhere before I get too much older.
I don't realy know that much about the area except what I have read (exhaustively)on line. Our plan is to move, with or without a job. I must say I am now concerned about that from postings on this and other sites. I have alot of experience in many different areas. I do not expect to be compensated similarly to what I currently make, but have to have compensation in the $30,000. I am currently a director of a small non-profit, addtionally have over 20 years of administrative adn sales exp. Is this a realistic expection?
We had also planned on purchasing a house immediately. However, it seems that if the job market is that bad, maybe this is not such a great idea?
Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Bea -

I know the Am. Cancer Society is hiring an Area Director for Jax and pays around 85,000; whic. If you have a Bach Degree and years of experience - I would check that out. Also - some other non-profit jobs are available right now. Look at the Chamber of Commerce site and look up all of the non-profits in the area and start calling or sending out your resume. The compitition is tough right now but with your qualifications you might find something great.Check out www . nonprofitctr.org and look at their 'job database'-lots of opportunity there! Not sure if the link will work in this forum:www.nonprofitctr.org/jobs_list.asp
I love Jax as you may have gathered if you read this forum. Lots to do from extravagant to cheap or free!

albendia sherrod in Jacksonville, Florida

71 months ago

I applied with the State of Florida, and there are jobs in Jacksonville, Florida.

Please try that website.

71 months ago

Bea

I recently moved to Jacksonville, Florida (3 weeks), and the job market is tough. I have my Master's with years of experiences, but I know I will have a job soon. I applied with the State of Florida, and this is promising. You must have patient and faith. I talked with a minister and my family members in this city, and many apply with a temporary agency, and then they become full time employees with the company in which they are assigned. Another point to make is not to be discouraged due to "age", we are the same age, and many employers want to hire mature staff.

canary in Jacksonville, Florida

71 months ago

I moved here from New York in 1998 due to my Mother being ill. I have worked predominately in Hospitals. I am now unemployed for almost a year..actively seeking employment. I have experienced racism..against us "Yankees"...my accent has been made fun of (New York accent), I have been told I was not liked because I was a "foreigner"...how ludicrous! I have witnessed overt reverse discrimination...I have worked doing two peoples jobs.. and getting paid for one! and the working conditions here are very poor!, the salaries low! the people are mostly white and black, and there is a high-rate of uneducated people here! We used to laugh at the southerners in N.Y.C. when we saw them speaking in films and on T.V....I never thought these people really existed and really spoke like this, but, it is true...when I heard one say
I'm fixing to go to lunch, I said you want a hammer (smile), and when I would be asked questions, and I answered them honestly, I was told I was rude...These are not my kind of people, and I plan on getting the "H" out of here as soon as I can.. Oh! there are no jobs here!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

canary in Jacksonville, Florida said: We used to laugh at the southerners in N.Y.C. when we saw them speaking in films and on T.V....I never thought these people really existed and really spoke like this, but, it is true...when I heard one say
I'm fixing to go to lunch, I said you want a hammer (smile)

I heard the word 'hootinanny' used seriously in a sentence for the very first time when I lived in Jacksonville. I know what you mean Canary.

In addition, I know what you mean about the lack of diversity in Jacksonville. I remember when my husband and I were living there, we took a trip to Tampa one time for the 4th of July. While watching the fireworks that night in Tampa, we noticed two cops leaning against their patrol car observing the crowd. We were stunned, because one of the cops was a Chinese Male and the other was a Caucasian Female. We hadn't seen a Chinese person since we'd left Michigan years before and we hadn't seen a female cop since we'd left Michigan either. We told them why we were stareing at them and we all had a really good laugh.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

there are plenty of jobs here - just have to know where to look. andf the diversity is very great. i guess it just depends on which part of town you live. this is a very diverse community. i had to laugh reading that there were no asians here or female cops... hmmm not from my perspective. There is a multitude of high paying jobs here - depends on your training and skill set. i'm a formerly of Chicago and love it here.

damn yankee in Jacksonville, Florida

71 months ago

Amen canary, I work with the public here, the so called educate ones are the dumbest people I have ever met. I too was told I was rude for being honest,, no I just lie to all my clients and they freaking love me. Bunch of inbred dummies

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

If anyone has any additional information about employment opportunities in Jacksonville, Fl, please share. I have my MSW (Social Work) with years of experience in Child Welfare and Geriatrics. I would appreciate your assistance.

71 months ago

albendia sherrod in Jacksonville, Florida said: If anyone has any additional information about employment opportunities in Jacksonville, Fl, please share. I have my MSW (Social Work) with years of experience in Child Welfare and Geriatrics. I would appreciate your assistance.

The Childrens Home Society was hiring an Executive Director but you may want to contact them to see if that position is still available. I know they need a Social Worker still. Go to: chsfl.hua.hrsmart.com/ats/job_search.php
Brookdale Senior Living is hiring a Director of Senior Living; with your MSW, you may want to try that. CIS of Jax(Communities in Schools) is hiring a 'Team Up' Project Manager. www.cisjax.org/ ALSO - check the job database at www. nonprofitctr.org ALSO- i think LSS is hiring, Lutheran Social Services. www. lssjax. org . TRY - Hope Haven 904. 346.5100 . HOPE THIS HELPS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Thank you so much. Have a wonderful and blessed holiday season.

Lori Long in Kansas City, Missouri

71 months ago

I moved to JX a year ago yesterday to the Southbank area in one of the new condos. I had to return to Kansas City in September due to some unfortunate circumtances and hope to get back to Jacksonville asap. I truly grew to love Jacksonville. There is so much to do that is free. Downtown promotes "downtown" with so many wonderful things to do. Free music, art walks, farmer's markets, after work activities. Love the weather love the people. Just need to sell my house in the next few weeks and find a good job. I am an interior designer - have owned my owned businesses - interior design and catering. Would consider any area and field with good benefits. Would love for it to be creative, but, does not have to. Would love and appreciate any input anyone has. I am going to come to JX for a week in January and looking for employment. Thank you. Coming for Kansas City, Missouri - I understand what the news looks like with a lot of crime. Any large town has it. If you pay attention to the news, most of it is in an area that is known for crime. Not usually in the middle class neighborhoods. I finally figured that out!

Smedrock in Jacksonville Beach, Florida

70 months ago

The beach is wonderful. Very little crime and a great place to raise a family. St. Johns County down towards Julington Creek and south is great as well. Lot's of negative folks on here. You must not live in these areas... I'm okay with that.

looking for Peace in Bronx, New York

69 months ago

I am still interested n moving to Jax. Crime is everywhere. I just want to know where the best school district is at. I have 4 daughters. Separated from my spouse looking for a new change. I know that we are in a recession but I am willing to move on and with faith. If Jacksonville, fl does not work out them move somewhere else what is the big deal. Anywho all my family is in Savannah Ga want to move closer to them. Is there anything else that I should know about Jacksonville. I need to fine an apt but not sure what area. Hopefully I will be there in 6 months.

69 months ago

Canary it is like that in most of all the south states. FYI it is not just Jacksonville so do not move and think that you would not be label as a foreign unless you picked up a southern accent ."Southerners" call us from the north Yankees. Jamaicans in NY call Americans Yankees. The south is very different. I used to live in Ga and they always talk about our accent when I thought that they had a accent lol. New Yorkers have it hard ANYWHERE most people say that we are aggressive because we speak our mind. I do not for the life of me understand it. As if people in the south envy New Yorkers. Its is not that serious. I always loved the south. NYC is not an option for me to raise my family anymore.

Kaycee in Bardstown, Kentucky

69 months ago

looking for Peace in Bronx, New York said: Canary it is like that in most of all the south states. FYI it is not just Jacksonville so do not move and think that you would not be label as a foreign unless you picked up a southern accent ."Southerners" call us from the north Yankees. Jamaicans in NY call Americans Yankees. The south is very different. I used to live in Ga and they always talk about our accent when I thought that they had a accent lol. New Yorkers have it hard ANYWHERE most people say that we are aggressive because we speak our mind. I do not for the life of me understand it. As if people in the south envy New Yorkers. Its is not that serious. I always loved the south. NYC is not an option for me to raise my family anymore.

Hope this will help; some friends of mine live in the Clay county school district and I am hoping to move to Jax asap as well, and I researched their schools- they actually are pretty impressive. They live in the suburbs, in Oakleaf and the schools are all in their neighborhood. If you can afford Oakleaf, the amenities are excellent- free pool, fitness club, lake in your back yard, etc. But yeah as far as I have seen, Duval county schools are ranked particularly low, which is the city of Jacksonville. Good luck

69 months ago

Kaycee in Bardstown, Kentucky said: Hope this will help; some friends of mine live in the Clay county school district and I am hoping to move to Jax asap as well, and I researched their schools- they actually are pretty impressive. They live in the suburbs, in Oakleaf and the schools are all in their neighborhood. If you can afford Oakleaf, the amenities are excellent- free pool, fitness club, lake in your back yard, etc. But yeah as far as I have seen, Duval county schools are ranked particularly low, which is the city of Jacksonville. Good luck

Thank you..

matt in Conyers, Georgia

69 months ago

stay away from Colomer in Jacksonville.fl. they are Jacksonville worst employer, they have poor managment team led by Jim Bell, and bad HR team , they work wit headhunters that lie about the position and pay( so they get more out of the deal some how) this company is going down hill loosing orders and good people, they run adds for help all the time the turn around is high, so a word of advics stay far away from this company

albendia in Jacksonville, Florida

69 months ago

I received the Times-Union Newpaper 02/21/09 and it provides learning centers with excellent ratings. Always refer or contact Jacksonville Children Commission as a excellent resource for providing information on child care or educational systems for your child. I have the fortunate opportunity to work with Youth Crisis Center that provides me with numerous information.

69 months ago

Thank you for sharing this information. Always good to know. Nothing worse than starting a job with certain expectations and usually giving up something else - only to be disappointed and needing to find a new job.

69 months ago

albendia in Jacksonville, Florida said: I received the Times-Union Newpaper 02/21/09 and it provides learning centers with excellent ratings. Always refer or contact Jacksonville Children Commission as a excellent resource for providing information on child care or educational systems for your child. I have the fortunate opportunity to work with Youth Crisis Center that provides me with numerous information.

Thank you I would be looking for childcare as soon as get to jacksonville would they be able to help with funding such as a voucher for childcare after school programs do they have a website that I can go on

albendia in Jacksonville, Florida

69 months ago

You have until February 27th to get your voucher for this summer and the next school year. They have several sites for you to get the voucher. Please contact them and they will give you the sites. I hope this will help

69 months ago

yes this is very helpful but how do I contact them I am in new York city

hillbilly in Jacksonville, Florida

67 months ago

matt in Conyers, Georgia said: stay away from Colomer in Jacksonville.fl. they are Jacksonville worst employer, they have poor managment team led by Jim Bell, and bad HR team , they work wit headhunters that lie about the position and pay( so they get more out of the deal some how) this company is going down hill loosing orders and good people, they run adds for help all the time the turn around is high, so a word of advics stay far away from this company

They also had people like keith pierre that are terrible at fixing anything. he came from a head hunter. what a mistake

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida said: True, he did not win in Duval; however the point i was making is that it was VERY close; which has never happened here before. The republican party was surprised at how many new democrats are in this area. I believe 42,000 newly registered here. So, although he did not win here things are changing bigtime because it was very close. No place is already unified - but change is coming.

HEY MOM IN JAX can you please email me I love your positive energy want to keep in contact with u other than on indeed. bigpigfoot@aol.com thanks lisa

67 months ago

Hi there everyone ~ I feel so blessed that I signed a contract on my home in Kansas City so that I can get back to Jacksonville. I have lived in KC my whole life. A great city - but, has the huge drawback of a harsh winter!! :) I lived in JX from Dec of 07 through Sept of 08 and fell in love with it. I was living on the Southbank of Downtown just a mile from San Marco area - On the St. John's River. As an interior designer (one that enjoys getting the high end lood at great prices - in other words, a bargain hunter!). Looking forward to getting a business established there. Am also looking for a builder that might like some help putting together an awesome model home to increase his sales. If anyone has any marketing ideas - I would appreciate it. Anyone planning on moving to the area - I highly recommend it. A terrific town to live in. Looking forward to returning in 4-6 weeks!!

looking for Peace/got it with GOD in Bronx, New York

67 months ago

i am so happy for u lori wishes u all the best

67 months ago

Thank you~ Love your "looking for peace" "found it with GOD" - How awesome. My best to you!!!!

justin t in Jacksonville, Florida

67 months ago

i was born and raised here in jacksonville, but moved away with the military for ten years, ending up in manhattan, ks. my daughter from a previous marriage pulled me back to jax against my better judgement, and my wife and i have been plotting our escape ever since.

while serving, i studied for my bachelors in economics and worked my way through college and my wife played collegiate sports and graduated with honors. it took us 6 months! to find jobs and only found them through temp agencies who have firm control of all the hiring in this city (and i was laid off 4 months later). good luck applying directly to any firm in this city without being ignored and redirected back to the racket of temp agencies. they only look for excessive, very specific experience which of course you will not have, but the 40,000 other ppl whom X bank laid off will. also, military experience means absolutely nothing here, no matter that you have done their jobs in spades, even under gun fire!

that leaves us in a terrible place, whereas my wife is, frankly, supporting us with her overly demanding, nickel and dime wage (god bless her), and i am permanently stuck in a cycle of temp work and unemployment, making any attempts to leave that much more risky. i would advise ANYONE contemplating a move to jax to seriously reconsider unless you absolutely HAVE to move here, or are a nurse. what few jobs there are here are mostly back office, 10 key/high school diploma positions or retail. the ones that are around that require a little bit of anything are almost "reserved" for recent unf grads who will work for subsistence. or nursing...god, if id have known...

CJ- please help me move to seattle!!

67 months ago

Justin ~

What type of work do you and your wife do - or what type are you looking for??

If your mindset it to move. There is a strong possibiliy that is why you are not finding work. The power of what we think and what comes out of our move is what is. At least that is exactly what I have found in my life.

Let's see if we can get you any help. Just decide what you really want.

Have a great day.

Lori

DESPERATE in Jacksonville, Florida

67 months ago

I HATE THIS CITY, I HATE THIS CITY, I HATE THIS CITY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

:( I'm sorry ~ it sounds like you need to move. You need to be happy.

67 months ago

justin t in Jacksonville, Florida said: so much to say, yet so hard to articulate...

i dont want to move, ergo thats why i cant find stable work; i cant find stable work, thats why i want to move! and its not that i particularly care where i live, as i have lived all over the world and every place has its goods and bads -its that now more than ever, the situation of the place i live in affects me so much more than before. believe me, i am an expert in the art of the positive attitude, as i would nvr have survived my ten years in the army without it -but eventually, you have to face the reality that maybe the place you are in just doesnt have anything to offer.

as for the type of work i am looking for, (which at this point is anything), watching the news for 5 minutes will tell you that people in the financial industry are having a tough time, but my experience and degree are both broad enough that, frankly, i could do ANY kind of work! thats why i say that if you DO find a position, they want specific experience. the culture here doesnt seem to view candidates as a whole, but by what specific computer software youve used, or what exact job title you held. anyone in the service can tell you that the civilian world has absolutely NO IDEA the capabilities that soldiers have and essentially brush it off as completely irrelevant experience. i even contemplated removing the military almost altogether from my resume bc of the absolute lack of attention employers give it, which is sad because my experiences there were what made the person i am today!

i dont imagine the random wage laborer scours the forums, searching for the ins and outs of where they want to move, but the skilled, educated worker who does that research. i see myself as one of those, and just want to voice my opinion to help inform others like me.

sounds like you should relocate but its seems to be like that everywhere. you sound like my family who lives in Georgia

KC in Bardstown, Kentucky

67 months ago

looking for Peace/got it with GOD in Bronx, New York said: sounds like you should relocate but its seems to be like that everywhere. you sound like my family who lives in Georgia

I live in Kentucky, and it is that way here too unfortunately. According to the news, there are supposedly companies hiring, just in the business field. My advice to any of you struggling to find stable, dignifiable work would be to take advantage of the situation you are in by returning to college to possible up your advantage. I know of several people still living on unemployment monies while attending school full time. Their philosophy is that by the time they graduate, the recession will be over. I don't see it ending anytime soon myself, which is not entirely the reason it is so hard to find work in Jacksonville, but it does have alot to do with it. Good luck to all of you. I wish I could help; I would love to move to Jacksonville, that is how I found this forum. However I have a wonderful job here, and can't risk not having at least a decent one there.

67 months ago

KC ~~~~ Jacksonville is awesome!! I believe the work situation is somewhat difficult everywhere ~~ and, there are always people that have bad experiences. I believe the media is a huge part of the problem. I am an interior designer and have notices that since the media has been putting out positive regarding the economy ~ I have been getting so much more business. If you would love to move to JX ~~ Just find your job first!!! Follow your dreams ~ Live is so short - each day is a gift ~ and, you never know what tomorrow will bring. My personal thoughts are that companies are going to go back to experience vs. the piece of paper (diploma) But, time will tell. Good luck to you ~ whatever you decide to do. :)

Lori

KC in Bardstown, Kentucky

67 months ago

Lori Long in Kansas City, Missouri said: KC ~~~~ Jacksonville is awesome!! I believe the work situation is somewhat difficult everywhere ~~ and, there are always people that have bad experiences. I believe the media is a huge part of the problem. I am an interior designer and have notices that since the media has been putting out positive regarding the economy ~ I have been getting so much more business. If you would love to move to JX ~~ Just find your job first!!! Follow your dreams ~ Live is so short - each day is a gift ~ and, you never know what tomorrow will bring. My personal thoughts are that companies are going to go back to experience vs. the piece of paper (diploma) But, time will tell. Good luck to you ~ whatever you decide to do. :)

Lori

Thanks! Oh, I have visited Jacksonville four times within the past year, and we have friends there. I went on three interviews, and received two offers. The only problem is one of the companies that offered me a position recently closed their doors, and the other company was very demanding- a ton of time on the road, etc. So I am still here. I haven't applied in a while to anything down there, but I still watch the housing market down there. Speaking of that, the prices in Jacksonville and Orange Park are about half to three fourths as much as the same house here, but I wouldn't be twenty minutes from the beach, and it wouldn't be Florida, here. We are very very interested in moving, just scared to go right now. It isn't about the risk of a new place; it is the risk of landing a decent position with a company, and then they shut their doors before this recession is over. I am thankful to say I am employed in a recession proof field, and my kind of job down there- I applied to one with the same title I currently hold, and never got even a phone call or reply saying I wasn't chosen as a possible candidate. We will move there, just not anytime soon unfortunately!:(:(:(

67 months ago

KC , u sound like me. I have a good job and its not worth taking the risk of relocating to JAX right now. I am looking into going back to school to be in the health field not sure on what part Nursing etc.. but when i leave my job I need to know that its not on a mistake or a regret. I thought I would be ready by the summer but i have decided to stuck in here work and go to school save hopefully by next summer this crap about the recession would be somewhat better. I want to move asap..

VJP04@COMCAST.NET in Jacksonville, Florida

63 months ago

Hello, everyone I am new to Jacksonville I am a social worker and I
have faxed and email by Resume to several places and I still have not
found employment. I however, have only been here since may. The free
activities are nice but I thought Jacksonville had more to offer. I have no friends since I don't have employment. I hope I can find a job so I can meet some friends. Currently I feel rather loss. The church that I joined is so large that the pastor doesn't even know that I am there. I have noticed that a lot of the houses are old and in need of great repair what is wrong with the mayor of this city?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.