Best companies to work for in Jacksonville?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 249)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Lori Long in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

I am sorry that you are having trouble meeting people. I just moved here about 5 weeks ago. I did live here for 9 months in 2008 also. You definitely have to get out to the the events that are around town. Sign up for emails from downtownjax.org (I think). If I had your email address I could forward one to you. Go to wine tastings and free events. I have already met a lot of really nice people. I don't know if you know about meetup groups. They actually have them all of the country. Go to their website and find groups that you are interested in and go to their free events. There are ones for singles, ones for couples, ones for business networking and on and on. I knew a few people from when I was here before --- go out to happy hour -- met more people --- invited all of them to the full moon cruise at Cap's for next Wednesday -- told them to bring more people. That is how I meet people anyway. Just like a job. They don't come knocking on your door -- but, there are many out there, just like you looking for friends and work. I, too, am unemployed and working hard at finding work. I network through these people I meet -- ask a lot of questions -- then, find more places to take resumes. This is really hard for me, as I have always been self employed -- hard to come to new city and start over. I lived in KC for my whole life (and, that's a long time! ha!) and established a great relationship with people. I know I can do that again -- just need to find a good job in the meantime to pay the bills. :) I hope this helps you. Have a blessed weekend. Get out and go to the Landing for free music -- talk to people. ---- smile!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

albendia in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

my email is albendia-sherrod@att.net

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

Yes, try Meetup.com . It's amazing how many groups there are to fit any interest out there. Try it and you will meet ALOT of great people. JAX is GREAT!!!! This year makes 20 years for me being here :)

VJP04@COMCAST.NET in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

Hello, everyone I am new to Jacksonville I am a social worker and I
have faxed and email by Resume to several places and I still have not
found employment. I however, have only been here since may. The free
activities are nice but I thought Jacksonville had more to offer. I have no friends since I don't have employment. I hope I can find a job so I can meet some friends. Currently I feel rather loss. The church that I joined is so large that the pastor doesn't even know that I am there. I have noticed that a lot of the houses are old and in need of great repair what is wrong with the mayor of this city?

62 months ago

Youth Crisis Center is looking for another social worker. Look on Indeed or YCC.org.

Lori Long in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

Hey lookie there!! :) Albendia --- networking works!!! Good luck.

Lori

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Starlight_Storms in Orange Park, Florida

62 months ago

I'm not exactly new to Jacksonville, as I've been here for 4 years. I have been so busy hustling to get my BA and finding a great job, that I haven't been able to go out enough and meet the city. I've always been a hang-out-at-friends's-houses or go to dinner kind of person. But I've not seemed to find other people who could show me the city like I'd like to see it either. Now, I am on the brink of moving since I quit my workaholic ways. I am drawn to the arts and history and nature and livliness, but Jacksonville is not holding my interest. I'd like to give it one more shot. How do I go meet the city?

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

go to www. meetup. com . there you will find 285 'meetup' groups that serve ALL interests. Sign up for one or many and go to the meetup. i did this and have met so many people. im in a photography meetup, vino meetup, joggers meetup, friends meetup, active doggy meetup... and there3 are many more.
also, if you are into the arts... you need to hang downtown and in riverside. the downtown atrwalk is the first wednesday of every month ... lots of cool stuff going on there! Dont give up... there is a thriving aqrts community here in Jax!

kcdecoratoar@hotmail.com in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

Meet up groups are a great way to meet people. I just signed up for several in the past week or so. Went to a networking one last night. Going to a brunch one on Saturday. Go to happy hours and sit at the bar - when you go out for dinner - sit at the bar. People that are wanting to visit with others tend to sit there. You don't have to drink to go to happy hours. There is always something going on in JX downtown or the beaches. Art walks on the 1st Wed of month downtown, the 1st Friday of month in St. Augustine, the third Thursday of month in Atlantic/Neptune beach. Search for JX sites -- there are a few that have free events going on. I know downtown JX has events almost every Thursday for afterworkers --- wine tastings -- the Grotto in San Marco has a tasting and learn (kind of small and intimate) every other Sunday at 5pm. A wine tasting every Thursday from 6-8. Hmmm! I am going through the same things -- still trying to network and find a job -- it is difficult -- but, I feel like I belong here and there is something here for me. Good luck -- keep us updated with anything you come up with that is new and different --
have a great day.

Spring in Jacksonville, Florida

62 months ago

virginia in Jacksonville, Florida said: i have lived here 12 years from vermont, I hate this city and am counting the years until I can leave family obligations keep us here it stinks nothign to do i can't go out at night without being begged for money or scared half to death by the criminals that the police let run the city stay away.

I second that one!!! If I could sell my house, I would be gone the next day.

sportty04@aol.com

61 months ago

I ride a harley. I work alot. I do not have alot of friends outside of work. I really donot have the time. Besides i am married. But if your a female please feel free to email me back and we can chat.sportty04@aol.com see ya later

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ready4TheChange in Mannheim, Germany

61 months ago

Hi! My husband is about to get out of the Army after almost 6 years and we (I have a 3 year old daughter as well) are looking for a place to relocate. Florida was on his list of places he would like to go and I had read somewhere that Jacksonville is one of the least likely places in FL to get hit by a hurricane, so this appealed to me. We're originaly both from Ohio, so after reading some of these comments I'm a little scared that we would be considered "foreigners" lol. We're leaving the army from Mannheim, Germany, so it makes visiting places a little hard. When we get back to the states we are both going to be returning to school (myself for nursing and him for computer science) and plan on both having to work. From what I've gathered Jacksonville is a great place for the health field; however, we'll both probably just be looking into entry level jobs. I've seen that there is a bit of an argument as to whether or not professional jobs are hard to come by, but what about the entry level jobs? If we move there we plan on staying for a while (moving every year or so while in the army has made moving around very undesireable ha) so my main concern is what kind of place this would be to raise our daughter. She would probably have to start attending daycare or preschool, so I was wondering how good those are around Jacksonville? Also, if anyone has a website with school ratings or something of the sort that would be helpful. We're just looking to rent for the time being, but I would prefer to rent a house. I know that all big cities have crime and not so nice places to live, but also have very nice places to live. Could anyone tell me what areas to avoid? And it doesn't have to be right in Jacksonville. I've looked into surrounding areas like Orange Park, as well. Any websites or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

61 months ago

From what I know --- stay away from the Northside. That is where most of the bad things happen. Good luck in your search ---

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

KV in Jacksonville, Florida

61 months ago

Hello. I just relocated here from Kentucky, and yeah, I put in about 200 resumes before I finally landed a job. However, it is a superb job with Bank of America, an awesome company here in Jax. As far as where to live, I live on the Westside, or so I am told, and it is very quiet over here, no crime so far whatsoever. I hear to stay away from the North side because there is alot of crime over there. I have some wonderful friends that live in Oakleaf Plantation, which is located in Orange Park, Clay county. Since you have little ones, I would try to stay in Clay County due to the school system being much more desirable for children over there. However, we live in Duval, right on the county line and my children will be attending Clay County. Oakleaf is very nice, lots of amenities, but it is a loooong drive with lots of traffic, if either of you end up working anywhere in Jacksonville. So that is why we live where we do, it is quite convenient. However, before you all decide where to live, I would get a room somewhere first for a few days, and drive around, and you will see what is best for you. I say this because we almost rented a house in Oakleaf, but when we stayed there for a week with friends, we realized the drive was not worth it. Good luck!

61 months ago

I have 3 grandson's and Mandarin is a wonderful area, or Argyle in terms of safety, and excellent school system. Mandarin is number one, Argyle is a Military area, equally nice. I enjoy being located close to highway intersections, local hospital, and not far from the Navy Hospital Base.

I hope this help

MARIA RAMOS in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

60 months ago

I am moving to Jax, November 1 with my husband an my Baby, we loss our job, we decided to start over.

I have a bachelor degree in journalism, blingual Spanish and my husband is Industrial designer but his english is not very Good.

Can I have any suggestion? Companies, places to Live(rent)

Thanks a lot

Dawn in Winter Springs, Florida

60 months ago

Just graduated with a Degree in Biology in May, moved to Jax 2 months ago, and still have not found a job. Are there any job for recent graduates?

Kimberly in Jacksonville, Florida

60 months ago

Hello. I recently relocated to the area, and have discovered there ARE plenty of jobs down here. I know Bank of America is always hiring, as are alot of hospitals etc. You may not find one quickly in regards to your degree, but your degree IS very industry specific. I took the first offer that came along, moved here, and now am pursuing other opportunities. It boils down to being able to pay bills, THEN look for that perfect job. Good luck

Alexa in Jacksonville, Florida

60 months ago

I am unemployed as well, but have three which I am in the final phases of negotiation with.

Recommendations:
- Are you going on around 3-4 interviews a week?
- Are you seeking out the companies and departments you want to work for, or are you waiting for a job posting and sendind you resume online. The latter will not work.
- How are your interview skills? Have you critiqued your strengths and weaknesses after an interview and proactively worked to better your skills?

These are just a few things I could think of off the top of my head... In this conpetitive environment... You constantly have to think how to make yourself standout as the strongest person for the positions and look for opportunities in unconventional ways.

Best of Luck!

60 months ago

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida said: J in Seattle - So, by reading my posts you gathered an opinion of me... that sounds like stereotyping. I am straight and yes, I am white... but that's about all that was right. I am divorced, work full-time but still seem to volunteer at school/church/community and enjoy life to the fullest. I live in a low to average incomed neighborhood and have had my share of struggles. I 'find a way' to have, try or experience everything! I am certainly not sheltered and have exposed myself and sons to many diverse experiences making them and I very well-rounded, well-educated and open-minded. I always joke with my sons that they have an 'international circle of friends' and they really do.

As I stated in my posts above - you do not need money to enjoy Jax's riches. You do not need to be rich or white or a stay at home mom to have a full, bountiful life here. You do, however, need to have a positive attitude and see the greatness in your surroundings.
IT'S ALL IN HOW YOU LOOK AT THE THINGS AROUND YOU.
Take advantage of everything this city has to offer and you will see it very differently.

If you read my earlier posts, really read them, you would not have assumed what you did. You do not have to be affluent and privilaged(which I am neither) to be elevated to a higher status in this community - you just have to be involved in it!

Amen to Mom in JX --- and, thank you for trying to help so many people while doing your best to be a Mom, work, etc. Keep up the good work.

juancho86 in Orange Park, Florida

59 months ago

Dawn in Winter Springs, Florida said: Just graduated with a Degree in Biology in May, moved to Jax 2 months ago, and still have not found a job. Are there any job for recent graduates?

I also have a degree in Biology and moved to Jax 2 months ago, and still have not found a job. Where had you applied?

59 months ago

MrsBea in Canton, Michigan said: I live in Canton, but grew up in Detroit. Canton is about 20 miles from Det. Det is not as bad as the media suggest. The criminals seek the criminals. There are not random selections, the incidents that occur are usually among people who know one another. So why did I move, well, Det is sterotyped when it comes to insurance and costs, it is actually cheaper to live in the surburbs than it is to live in the city. Yes, the schools are much better. People in the city seem to accept the uncleanliness. City people seem to allow the surburbans to come and mess up everything. People work for the city, but don't live in the city. Jobs are given to people who live in the surburbs. Yes, we are relocating because the job market in MI is terrible. We were considering Jacksonville, because it was voted in the top ten for jobs, houseing schools etc. But after the negative feedback from above, I may reconsider. I love Canton, and am looking for a community just like it, but with better paying surrounding job market. The houseing market looks a lot better than here as far a cost.

I am from Detroit, and lived and worked in Canton and other areas of Michigan. I strongly feel our school system is Canton is excellent, and currently, housing is affordable. Jacksonville has beautiful areas, but limit on activities. The job market is good if you have a degree or experience. The military base is here, and a extended one coming to Mayport. I enjoy the weather, and can travel to other locations to explore and become adventuous. Bartram Park and Bartram Springs are wonderful locations, along with San Marco. Research your location no matter where you go. You cannot escape crime, but you can choose a location that are active in their community and schools, and will offer you the opportunity to grow in Jacksonville

59 months ago

juancho86 in Orange Park, Florida said: I also have a degree in Biology and moved to Jax 2 months ago, and still have not found a job. Where had you applied?

You may want to contact the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, or Duval or Clay Public School system.

59 months ago

albendia in Jacksonville, Florida said: You may want to contact the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, or Duval or Clay Public School system.

Jacksonville has a vitual employment site so you can place your resume online.

Worksource.com should be your starting point. Next, register on the USAJobs.gov for other opportunities in Jacksonville.

Kimberly in Jacksonville, Florida

59 months ago

Wait, before you toss the idea of moving to Jacksonville out the window, let me tell you some of the pros I have found about living here. We moved here from a small town in Kentucky, at the end of July. We love that we are only a half hour drive from the beach and while its in the 30s up there its still in the 80s here. Housing costs are amazingly low here. As far as employment options, the banks take the cake. Convergys, Citi, and Bank of America have a good foot hold here. I accepted an offer from Bank of America. I would recommend moving here with a significant amount of savings, and get out and register at all of the staffing agencies, go online to actual employer websites(they usually don't post jobs as far as I have seen anyway). Also there are three military bases here- that equals alot of civilian jobs; and they are expanding the port, once they do we will be the third largest import/export on the eastern seaboard. There are two dominant companies that have multi billion dollar deals here in the works. I know the jobs here do pay lower, but I bring home more than I did in Ky, having taken a pay cut as well. Orange Park is not considered Duval county, and a very nice place to live convenient to the west side of Jax. Good luck

GGR in Denville, New Jersey

59 months ago

Mel in KC in Montvale, New Jersey said: I am relocating to JAX as soon as my house sells and I find a job. I have been in the advertising/printing business for over 14 years...I am inquiring about this profession in the JAX area? Any good agencies? Non-for-profit? Some one looking for a great leader for their graphic design team?

Have you relocated? I am planning to move to JAX from Denville, NJ. Was your relocation worth it?
Thanks,
GGR

Fidelityinsgroup.com in Jacksonville, Florida

59 months ago

I am an insurance agent in Jacksonville Florida. my web page is www.fidelityinsgroup.com I specialize in locating quality insurance for persons moving to Florida, Call me or email me for a free no obligation rate quote. I have 15 years of experience in the hard to place Florida insurance market. Just ask for Virginia when emailing or calling. I can also assist with recommendations for a Realtor in your area if you are in the market for a new home. Welcome to Jacksonville its a wonderful city with allot to offer.

CJ in Bellevue, Washington

59 months ago

Top 5 America's Safest Cities

4. Seattle, Wa. (tie)
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, Wash.
Violent crime: 3 of 40
Workplace deaths: 2 of 40
Traffic deaths: 8 of 40
Natural disaster risk: 31 of 40

4. Boston, Mass.
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, Mass.-N.H.
Violent crime: 10 of 40
Workplace deaths: 5 of 40
Traffic deaths: 1 of 40
Natural disaster risk: 28 of 40

3. Portland, Ore.
Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton, Ore.-Wash.
Violent crime: 1 of 40
Workplace deaths: 10 of 40
Traffic deaths: 5 of 40
Natural disaster risk: 25 of 40

2. Milwaukee, Wis.
Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, Wis.
Violent crime: 24 of 40
Workplace deaths: 11 of 40
Traffic deaths: 4 of 40
Natural disaster risk: 1 of 40

1. Minneapolis, Minn.
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI
Violent crime: 9 of 40
Workplace deaths: 1 of 40
Traffic deaths: 7 of 40
Natural disaster risk: 7 of 40

Lydia in Miami, Florida

59 months ago

I have lived in Jacksonville, FL for about a year and came back not too long ago because my husband is in the military. I am originally from Los Angeles, moved in 2001 to New Jersey, then here to Jacksonville.

I can say, in my own opinion, that Jacksonville is very boring. It is a beautiful city with potential and has a lot of history. There is hardly anything to do, besides the beaches. As far as the people, they are either outrageously snobbish or simply extremely ignorant.

You can clearly see the class separation and distinction just by crossing over a river. I think Jacksonville has this old fashion southern mentality where it refuses to adapt or except major changes.

Jacksonville is more of an industrial/country type town. The jobs do not pay as well as they should. Jacksonville is the largest city in land; yet their public transportation is lacking in a train system. It’s all one county, which is another problem. Although, it depends on what others like. I myself, love diversity and Jacksonville is diverse in its own way, but yet separate.

Camronn in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

To: MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida

From reading your posts you seem to have a good handle on Jacksonville. My husband and I are considering moving to Jax and will be coming in December to look around. I am in healthcare (nursing, admin, education - have MSN) and he is in education (currently working on masters). Children are grown and would like to live in nice area and work not too far from the place of emmployment. I hear a lot about Baptist hospital and Mayo Clinic but I notice they look rather far apart. Have you heard which hospital's are better to work for? Is Orange County area close to the major hospital's? Any advice of where to start looking when we come? We will probably not move until later next year.

Advice from all is welcome. Thanks.

Tim in Jacksonville, Florida

58 months ago

I have been in Jacksonville/St Augustine since February this year and still looking for employment! I have resumes out everywhere and have only had 2 interviews. I am a Licensed Land Surveyor and the times are tough everywhere for my field. I have applied everywhere from engineering firms to retail stores and no responses. It seems like with over 15 years experience in one field that the other jobs wont even look at you. At this point I just need to work and can't even get a interview at the local hardware store. Anyone have any suggestions?

snoop26 in Orange Park, Florida

58 months ago

HI im an EDI computer programmer for almost 6yrs in the philippines and going to live here in JAX with my dad who is alone at home.what would be the best companies to apply for a programmer? thank you

BK in Jacksonville Fl

57 months ago

My wife and I relocated to jax in Oct 2007, she is in the medical field, and did a lateral transfer from Virginia to jax with HCA. Hca is a much smaller player hear in the deep south, but all of the Doc's in the area seem to be hit hard by the economy. One of my friends here has a wife who is an Rn who has been unemployed for a year now.
As far as the area goes, we live in Southside, about equal distance from Mayo, and Baptist, but we gravitate toward the beach as often as we can, and have found some remarkable deals on homes in that direction which is closer to Mayo clinic. There is a very nice new apartment community Just off Beach blvd. which seems to be reasonable, and It is close to several of our Favorite restaurants, and again not far from Mayo. The condominiums at Jar din de Mer'e are very nice as well and again close to Mayo. The neighborhoods of San Marco are very nice looking, and the shops there are a treat, and that is closer to Baptist. enjoy your december in Jax, and Merry Christmas

Milly in Toa Baja, Puerto Rico

57 months ago

sgljaxguy in Nashville, Tennessee said: I lived and worked in Jacksonville for over 20 years. I've
resided in seven other locations and found that for the most part, Jacksonville has a lot going for it.
To Chris: The housing index shows that Jacksonville is well below the national average. Several business associates who relocated here from UP NORTH and SOUTH FLORIDA are surprised at how much house they can get for the same amount of money.
If Dallas was so great, GO BACK TO DALLAS!!!!!
To John: I can tell from the spelling errors, incorrect word usage and grammatical mistakes that you are not well educated and are frustrated because you cannot find a job that pays well because you have few or no marketable skills. I recommend that you try getting some education and build up your skills. Crime in Jacksonville is not rampant unless you live in one of the areas in the core city or slightly north. To RBurkes: You are a copy of John. Try living somewhere else and see if you still feel that way.
To Joe: Jacksonville is not the crime capital. Detroit is. Get your facts straight before you run your mouth.
To Virginia: You are exactly what Jacksonville does not need-bitter transplants from "up North" who whine about how bad it is here but stay and complain. You claim to have "family obligations", so why don't you take them back to Vermont?

You seem like an honest person. Iam relocating to Jacksonville, because my husband has cancer (he was operated) and I want to be close enough to the Mayo Clinic and the bloodless hospitals. What do you think about Mandarin. Is this a quite place? How about the traffic? I have a wonderful 16yr old boy, A student. Can you also recommend a decent no gangs HS. We are a Christian family and just wish to have a 2nd chance at life, and for what I read Jacksonville can be that 2nd chance. Can you recommend a good neighborhood. You can email me, some info.

57 months ago

Milly in Toa Baja, Puerto Rico said: You seem like an honest person. Iam relocating to Jacksonville, because my husband has cancer (he was operated) and I want to be close enough to the Mayo Clinic and the bloodless hospitals. What do you think about Mandarin. Is this a quite place? How about the traffic? I have a wonderful 16yr old boy, A student. Can you also recommend a decent no gangs HS. We are a Christian family and just wish to have a 2nd chance at life, and for what I read Jacksonville can be that 2nd chance. Can you recommend a good neighborhood. You can email me, some info.

I work in numerous schools(Clinical Therapist), and Mandarin is good "A" school. However, because of your Faith being tested, and your commitment to juggle not only your strength due to your spouse medical conditions, and your son watching his condition, the best support you will need is a good faith based family, along with the school. Mandarin is a good community, but my first choice would be Bartram Park/Bartram Spring. Stay focus and in prayer, and you know all things are possible. This is your time for a trial, but as you stated, your Christian faith will keep you on a solid foundation, and your son must be part the plan so he can achieve in any school district. Make sure he is part of a clinical team (a support group). It will be helpful.

Milly in Toa Baja, Puerto Rico

57 months ago

Thank you -- I kind of have my mind set on Mandarin, because of the HS. I heard is the best one, I also heard is overcrowded, and 3,000 students scares me a little, but I trust in Jehovah, God I will make the right decision.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Why at do you know about Alden Road Except. Student Center HS?
Can you tell me HS and also loud or crowded neighborhood to stay away from? You don't know how much I apreciate your help. Thank you again for your kinds words.

Kat75 in Sorrento, Florida

57 months ago

Tim in Jacksonville, Florida said: I have been in Jacksonville/St Augustine since February this year and still looking for employment! I have resumes out everywhere and have only had 2 interviews. I am a Licensed Land Surveyor and the times are tough everywhere for my field. I have applied everywhere from engineering firms to retail stores and no responses. It seems like with over 15 years experience in one field that the other jobs wont even look at you. At this point I just need to work and can't even get a interview at the local hardware store. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi Tim! I am a Realtor and my husband has been a subcontractor Survey Field Crew Chief for 10+ years in Central Florida. We have a contact with a new title company that is anticipated to have 20-25 surveys by their 3-4 month. We have a very good drafter and are looking for a licensed surveyor to join our company to review and sign off on the surveys. Let me know if you are interested and we can discuss the details.

Michael in Clearwater, Florida

56 months ago

I'm findind it hard not to think about the grapes of wrath in the sence that evryone is looking for the land of milk and honey to solve their problems as opposed to the obvious option of joining a comune where all of your needs are taken care of by a synergistic and the "quality of life" would be just that a life of quality. I'm not Suggesting that everyone run off to join a cult, rather that all you need in life is food shelter and water the rest is all in your perception.

It is what it it is dont wory be happy!

biroski in Jacksonville, Florida

55 months ago

hi, im planning to but a property in geneve st/kingswood rd along st augustine rd. is that a flood area of san marco? im trying to get info on that area. please share your thoughts if it is a good decision to buy property in that area. thanks so much.

Sill here in Jacksonville, Florida

54 months ago

I grew up in a small town in WI, and moved to Jax 5 years ago when my husband was transfered here from Milwaukee, WI. We live in Orange Park, right on the Duval County border. My daughter goes to Middleburg High School because Orange Park High was too crowded for her. She has thrived in the honors program there and loves the school. My boys are in middle and jr high, and they go to schools with relatively low class sizes. They're A schools and have an incredibly diverse population. We have a multitude of younger families that live around us, and I am happy that my kids are experiencing a more diverse group of friends and culture than I was exposed to at their age. We're less than 10 minutes from 295 and can get anywhere we need with ease. Yes, there's crime here, but it's nothing compared to what we experienced in Madison or Milwaukee. I had difficulty finding a job at first, but I went through Custom Staffing and found one that suited me and my family within 3 weeks. I work in Jacksonville poper, and, while it's not the nicest part of town, I'm still OK walking by myself to my car, stores, etc. It's a good place to be, especially if you don't like the snow!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jacksonville Fan in Jacksonville, Florida

53 months ago

Jacksonville offers so much I am really taken aback by some of the comments! I have lived and worked in Jacksonville for almost four years now and love it. I have lived all over the country and will not leave Jacksonville for the rest of my life. I was able to secure a position with a very reputable and stable firm and have been there since I moved. I live in Riverside in a very diverse neighborhood and work just across the river from home. There is so much to do here in Jacksonville and the weather is wonderful. Many of the companies/firms/institutions here in Jacksonville have websites that allow you to review benefits, culture, etc. of the entity and apply through their website. Some great ones are:
Mayo Clinic
BrooksHealth
St. Vincent
Blue Cross/Blue Shield
CSX
Fidelity
Rogers Towers P.A.

Just to name a few. There are many things to do during the day and at night and in all areas of the city. I have found the city, my neighborhood, my workplace to be much more open minded and diverse than I had previously thought of a "southern city".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jon in Orange Park, Florida

52 months ago

I dont think many people know what crime really is. I have lived in Jacksonville for almost 2 years and have spent many years in various other states and I can insure you that the crime here is not bad what so ever. People here in Jacksonville need to understand that no matter where you go there will be crime its the amount and severity of the crimes that matter. I have left my door unlocked to my house for a good year and a half and never had a problem, I leave my keys in both of my cars and the door unlocked and never had an issue. I am not saying keep your door unlocked but I am saying there is a difference between Jacksonville and Miami per say, most people here swear this is the worst city when it comes to crime, I would dismiss it.

ANN in Atlanta, Georgia

52 months ago

HI, WE ARE CONSIDERING A MOVE TO JACKSONVILLE, FL. POSSIBLY WORKING WITH HOME DEPOT? COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION AS TO WHICH HOME DEPOT IS IN THE NICEST AND SAFEST AREA OF JACKSONVILLE? ALSO BEST AND SAFEST PLACE TO LIVE, BUT STILL BE CLOSE TO THE MALL AND BEACHES, THANKS SO MUCH! ANN

mediator2100 in Clearwater, Florida

52 months ago

John in Orange Park, Florida said: Florida is for the rich who sell their expensive homes up North and retire in Florida. They can take the cash from their "Up North" property and purchase something nice and live without a mortgage. They need to be retired with a set income as Jacksonville's job market pays poorly and even with a decent wage the cost of Health Insurance is enough to send anyone packing. Jacksonville has little to offer families as far as intertainment. Crime is high and little to do once one has visited the zoo and local museums. Their is a great night life for the party crowd, especially if they drink alcohol. I suppose if you had ample income you could spend the weekends traveling to Orlando or sites in Georgia. Florida is no place to raise a family unless each member has a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

Dont move to Florida, the cost of living here is high and pay is low. There is no state or city income tax here, so police departments make up the revenue difference. The people that serve you are slaves living in trailer parks or crappy appts and they ussualy drive cars that are falling appart.You'll find plenty of drugs here and yes your kids will do them eventually.The summers here are hot and humid and electricity here is high and most A.C.
units can not keep up with the heat past July.If you are not in the medical field or technology, dont even bother comming down here. There are hardly any job oppenings and employers are very picky. If you dont have a B.S. degree dont bother comming here and if you do be prepeared to make less than $14 an hour which is like making $10 an hour after considering cost of living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yogizilla in Augusta, Georgia

50 months ago

Wow.. Lots of mixed reviews here. I guess your experience in Jacksonville depends on the neighborhood you live in, your line of work, and how well you blend in with the.. Miscreants? LOL.. It's a shame because Tampa and Jacksonville seem most appealing to my family right now but I guess we'll be leaning more towards the foremost.

I wonder how Jacksonville crime stacks up against Augusta, GA...

* www.augustaga.gov/index.aspx?NID=325
* jacksonville.com/news/crime

...Well, the data doesn't really compare in an "apples to apples" manner but that says quite a bit. I'm sure there are trade-offs on both sides of the equation. My guess is that it depends where you are moving FROM. I imagine someone that moved to Jacksonville from like, say, Newark or Camden may appreciate it more.

Like others have said, your perspective and overall disposition may change the entire experience. That applies to everywhere, not just JAX. The fact is that, quite often, the big cities are too attractive and, thus, some filth inevitably sneaks in. I'm thinking living just outside of city limits would be a good bet: close to the jobs in JAX with a cheaper cost of living. I'm sure there is a peaceful middleground somewhere, folks! 8)

Bea in Palm Coast, Florida

50 months ago

What jobs? If that is your reason for moving here, my advice (which I did not follow from other posters) is to stay where you are at.

albanytech in Albany, Georgia

50 months ago

i want to relocate and i'm thinking about jacksonville,fl. i've been visiting jacksonville about twice a year for the past 4 years and i loved each visit. Visiting is very different from living there so i'm looking for feedback on job opportunities and advice on the best side of town to live on.I am a surgical tech, therefore i am looking for a great hospital to work at.Any comments are welcomed. thanks

Lenea in Nashville, Tennessee

49 months ago

Well I moved to Jax in March, and ended up moving back to Nash at the end of July... There are absolutely no jobs.. I dont understand. I didnt want to move back to Nashville but after looking for a job for about 5 months I finally landed one paying 8.50/hr. Im a single mom and I couldnt survive off of 8.50 working as a administrative Assistant so I had to move back to Nash. I have a B.S degree and working on my Masters in Public Administration. I cant understand why its so hard to find a job. I really want to give Jax a chance and go back and try again but I have to have a solid plan first. I really like the city. Yea there might not be too much to do but its a beautiful place over all. And I did hear that if you single looking to date .."Good Luck".. Do you all think Tampa or Orlando might be a little better for a single mom. I really want to be in the state of FL. Any Advice?

ginger in Jacksonville, Florida

49 months ago

Florida has one of the highest unemployment rates .. the rate of pay does not meet living standards. I took a 50% cut in pay last year my husnabd an electrician is not working in his feild and took a 75% cut in pay .. we have lived in florida for 15 years now and are looking to move back north for better paying jobs and better standard of living. sure there is cheap fun things to do .. but when you have to work 6 to 7 days a week to make ends meet who has time for fun

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

glavela in Rochester, New York

47 months ago

Thank you MominJax, I find your comments very helpful and positive. I am likely moving to Jacksonville because I can not take the cold any longer. We have been 13 years in Upstate NY and enough is enough. I am looking into San Marco area too. I find the neighborhood quite diverse with houses from low hundreds to mansions by the river, amazing mix!
I have two sons and really want a good school for them but do not want to drive more than 15 minutes to downtown. Please if you have other tips, I would appreciate it. Would ask your opinion (or knowledge) on how do the parochial schools rate compared to the public schools in San Marco or surrounding areas. I have a middle school boy currently on 7th grade and a first grader. Please advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.