Best companies to work for in Jacksonville?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 249 of 249)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

glavela in Rochester, New York

48 months ago

DESPERATE in Jacksonville, Florida said: I HATE THIS CITY, I HATE THIS CITY, I HATE THIS CITY

I feel sorry for you. The place does not make the person, may help you, but the person makes the place.....but you may need to move to find out!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Smed in Atlantic Beach, Florida

48 months ago

So true. You can love any city or hate any city depending if you are personally a happy person. Jacksonville offers river living, beach living, southern hospitality and more. If you don't like it then that's your problem. Please tell your friends. We in no way want to become Orlando or even worse Miami. If you want mellow slow southern style by the ocean where we say thank you, pardon me and ma'am,, come see us... heck, I'll show you around! Otherwise, Miami is probably what you are looking for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

glavela in Rochester, New York

48 months ago

Smed in Atlantic Beach, Florida said: So true. ...heck, I'll show you around! Otherwise, Miami is probably what you are looking for.

You probably are referring to someone else ('Desperate in Jacksonville'). I am not interested in Orlando or Miami. I have a job offer in Jacksonville and we are seriously considering it. I posted a prior to Momin.Jax, because she had good tips and seemed to know quite a bit about the area. I do need advice on somethings. Maybe you can also help me too. I repost my prior.
Thank you MominJax, I find your comments very helpful and positive. I am likely moving to Jacksonville because I can not take the cold any longer. We have been 13 years in Upstate NY and enough is enough. I am looking into San Marco area too. I find the neighborhood quite diverse with houses from low hundreds to mansions by the river, amazing mix!
I have two sons and really want a good school for them but do not want to drive more than 15 minutes to downtown. Please if you have other tips, I would appreciate it. Would ask your opinion (or knowledge) on how do the parochial schools rate compared to the public schools in San Marco or surrounding areas. I have a middle school boy currently on 7th grade and a first grader. Please advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Laura

47 months ago

fI wish I could help with the school situation. Bolles is highly recommended and may have vouchers? I am not sure. I have teen girls (high school) and we are in St Johns. I have not looked into private for them. Hmmm There is a private school at the beaches, if it comes to me I will come back and post it.

Jacksonville is the largest city in the country. It is huge. Each area is different. The counties look different too. I will tell you if you live in San Marco, there is a lot of flooding there. Ask questions when you go to rent or buy! There are times you can not get to your home. No one believes the rain we get and the lighting, until they experience it, it is heavy and dangerous. Just be causious with lightening. I had hole in my lawn one afternoon. I have seen trees lifted out of the ground from winds. Hurricane season is real. I am not trying to frighten you just think about those things when looking for a place to live and keep in mind that if the road is flood you need a back up plan for the kids.

Okay, good luck and if you have anymore questions let me know. You can also go to jacksonville.com it will give you a ton of information.

L

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hamilton Rhodes in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

47 months ago

I moved to Jax in August from Charlotte and was very shocked to hear this town was called a "southern" town. The people are not that friendly, they almost have an arrogance about them. They are very lazy as well. Every time I go to the grocery store, or any store in particular, there are shopping carts scattered across the parking lot, because the people are too lazy to put them in the proper place. The economy is just down right awful. The jobs pay less, but expect more qualifications. I have a Bachelors degree from a Top 20 school in the country and have yet to find a job that isn't considered "entry-level" at more than $10 an hour. Everyone here is also decorated from head to toe in tattoos and are perfectly fine working jobs in their 40's that still pay only $30,000. There is no social scene, or I have yet to find one. People keep to themselves so it is hard to meet others in the community.

If you do decide to move, consider it very thoroughly. Near the beaches, Ponte Vedra, seems to be the nicest. I can't wait to leave though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jaxorbust in Port Huron, Michigan

47 months ago

sgljaxguy in Nashville, Tennessee said: I lived and worked in Jacksonville for over 20 years. I've
resided in seven other locations and found that for the most part, Jacksonville has a lot going for it.
To Chris: The housing index shows that Jacksonville is well below the national average. Several business associates who relocated here from UP NORTH and SOUTH FLORIDA are surprised at how much house they can get for the same amount of money.
If Dallas was so great, GO BACK TO DALLAS!!!!!
To John: I can tell from the spelling errors, incorrect word usage and grammatical mistakes that you are not well educated and are frustrated because you cannot find a job that pays well because you have few or no marketable skills. I recommend that you try getting some education and build up your skills. Crime in Jacksonville is not rampant unless you live in one of the areas in the core city or slightly north. To RBurkes: You are a copy of John. Try living somewhere else and see if you still feel that way.
To Joe: Jacksonville is not the crime capital. Detroit is. Get your facts straight before you run your mouth.
To Virginia: You are exactly what Jacksonville does not need-bitter transplants from "up North" who whine about how bad it is here but stay and complain. You claim to have "family obligations", so why don't you take them back to Vermont?

sgljaxguy...nicely said. I too am planning on relocating to Jacksonville with family in 7 months and would like nothing better then to know the good, bad and the ugly. Have not a single problem with the quietness and conservative lifestyle. Looking forward to time at the beach and trying my luck at fishing. If you are able to point me in the right direction to search for schools and homes I'd be very thankful, otherwise thanks and keep up the great responses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

twinsboys123 in fayettevile, North Carolina

45 months ago

I have read a lot of the comments that has been posted and i am so confussed. I plan on moving to Jacksonville in May of 2011 and i want to know if i am making the rite choice. I am a single parent of 4 boys and they are school age kids. I want to know if Jacksonville is a place to raise my boys. We are currently in NC and i have been here all my life and i want a change but i don't want to take my boys somewhere were the crime is worse than were we are. It is hard keeping a hold on your kids thes days and i have a hold on my boys and want to keep a hold on them, i don't want to get the down there and they stray off with the kids they meet at school and things. Lord could someone please give me some insight on what i shoud do, i would appreciate it a great deal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kayvee in Louisville, Kentucky

45 months ago

I would suggest living in the Orange Park or Middleburg area. I lived in Jacksonville for awhile and ended up sending my child to an elementary school in Orange Park(Clay County). The teachers are more observant over there, and OP is only a county away from Duval(Jacksonville). Good luck.

why??? in Jacksonville, Florida

45 months ago

Why would you move here in this economy the unemployment rate is 13% in North Florida. I have been unemployed for 22 months now. NO JOBS that pay a living wage unless you consider 7-9 $ a living wage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

why??? in Jacksonville, Florida said: Why would you move here in this economy the unemployment rate is 13% in North Florida. I have been unemployed for 22 months now. NO JOBS that pay a living wage unless you consider 7-9 $ a living wage.

Well im in the medical field do you think that will help

45 months ago

Kayvee in Louisville, Kentucky said: I would suggest living in the Orange Park or Middleburg area. I lived in Jacksonville for awhile and ended up sending my child to an elementary school in Orange Park(Clay County). The teachers are more observant over there, and OP is only a county away from Duval(Jacksonville). Good luck.

Thank you, do you know about the Arlington area, I heard it was nice its on the sooth side. If so let me know

nicolette in Mcdonough, Georgia

45 months ago

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hi Audrey and Welcome to Jax!! You should have no problem finding a law office to work in as there are plenty of attorneys here. You may want to locate yourself in Mandarin in the Mandarin Middle and Mandarin High School Districts as they are 2 of the better schools in town. Housing is a little higher in Mandarin though.
Check out our schools at: www.duvalschools.org/
If you can make the Magnet Program application deadline (end of Feb) you may want to apply for a Magnet Program. For info go to: www.magnetprograms.com/ These are schools (usually in a 'not so great' neighborhood) that have a specialty program offerred to attract students from other areas. You check out the programs and schools, complete the application and then they choose the students lottery style. If chosen - your spot is guarenteed for the 4 years and you will have sibling preference in case you want your other children to also attend. I have 2 teenagers that attend public school: 1 is at MANDARIN MIDDLE; an A rated school 7 years in a row. We don't live in the district but their Dad does. My other son is at LEE HIGH;again not in our district but where he is in the top rated Engineering MAGNET program (most of the classes are college level).Their Robotics Team is also national ranked and competes globally. These choices have worked wonderfully for us. Great links: www.coj.net www.visitjacksonville.com www.downtownjacksonville.org www.myjaxchamber.com Hope this helps!

hi mominjax,
I am thinking of moving to florida in the neat future and i like your take ont the jax area and i would like to talk to you further.....i agree that there is good and bad everywhere and life is watch you make it.....i am new to this and am not sure if you will see this being that you posted so long ago......nicolette6smith@yahoo.com

gncma in Rochester, New York

45 months ago

Hi there MomInJax, I always find your comments very helpful. I am moving to JAX at the end of the summer, I am considering sending my two boys to catholic school Assumption (one in middle school and one in primary school). I am also considering the Beaches/Intracoastal area vs Avondale/Riverside to live. The latter closer to work indeed and a huge plus for me, the other one with nicer, newer communities, good proximity to shopping, straight shot to the school and downtown (but longer commute of course) and closer to the beaches which I love. Could you or someone please give me an idea of the pros and cons of living in these areas?

I also thought of San Marco/San Jose vs. Southside Mandarin area, but the commute is longer from the latter and San Marco big homes are too expensive and/or too old. Mandarin is just too far and I get the impression commute probably will be harder to downtown the lower south I go.

Please help,

Thanks

gncma in Rochester, New York

45 months ago

Hi there MomInJax, I always find your comments very helpful. I am moving to JAX at the end of the summer, I am considering sending my two boys to catholic school Assumption (one in middle school and one in primary school). I am also considering the Beaches/Intracoastal area vs Avondale/Riverside to live. The latter closer to work indeed and a huge plus for me, the other one with nicer, newer communities, good proximity to shopping, straight shot to the school and downtown (but longer commute of course) and closer to the beaches which I love. Could you or someone please give me an idea of the pros and cons of living in these areas?

I also thought of San Marco/San Jose vs. Southside Mandarin area, but the commute is longer from the latter and San Marco big homes are too expensive and/or too old. Mandarin is just too far and I get the impression commute probably will be harder to downtown the lower south I go.

Please help,

Thanks

Kayvee in Louisville, Kentucky

45 months ago

I lived on the West side/OP area and I didn't see any issues with crime, with the exception of some rambunctious teens that were out past curfew, and went through Oakleaf Plantation, keying vehicles and kicking front doors; the police were called but they escaped. Jacksonville, to me, was not a rough place to live. I quickly landed a well paying position. However, the health insurance rates in FL are out of this world! I now pay less than 1/3 what I paid when living in Jacksonville. I don't understand why so many people claim Jacksonville to be overpriced as far as rent/housing....I have lived in various places, and Jacksonville actually seems to be average. The "Beaches" area has some cheaper places to live, but all around, I did enjoy living in Jacksonville and would do it over again if I had the option!

celticgirl in New Hampshire

44 months ago

Wow. I am shocked and dismayedby some of the comments from some of these people. I went to college in Jax and live back in NH. I want to go back! Things are bad all over and anyone who thinks its worse there than anywhere is nuts. Yes, there is crime, but there is everywhere. I think it's funny whoever posted the list of low crime areas and Boston was on it! I like how they thinkJaxis worse. Anyhow there are going to be good and bad parts of town. You just need to look carefully and do research. My husband & I were just down there and looked at housing among other things. It's really reasonable to live there compared to where we are. We are tired of the snow but we certainly won't be going anywhere until we have jobs lined up though.

We also have an 11 yr old who will be moving with us and there are some schools that are better than others, but you need to check into these things first! Here is a list of the top schools in the US. Jax actually has quite a few on it, more than where I live! www.newsweek.com/feature/2010/americas-best-high-schools/list.html

Well I certainly won't let any of these comments discourage me, it's going to take a awhile for the economy to get better but
in the mean time we are going to continue to plan to move!

RS in Revere, Massachusetts

43 months ago

CJ in Bellevue, Washington said: Yes Ginger! We hated it so much that we did leave and I'm so happy we did!

My husband and I lived in Jacksonville for 4 years and I hated it more than you could possibly imagine. It was the most racist, sexist and homophobic city I'd ever lived in. I tried to like the city. I even went so far as to take a job with the Jacksonville Convention and Visitors Bureau hoping it would boost my opinon of the city. It did boost my opinion of all of the beauty that the land has to offer, but I still found the people unbearable.

As far as securing a job was concerned, I found that having a degree, years of experience and a positive attitude counted for absolutely nothing if you were Black!

It was so horrible that we left Jacksonville 8 years ago and moved to Seattle where we are VERY, VERY happy. My husband and I both have great professional jobs and own a home in a safe neighborhood with people of all races. God Bless the great State of Washington and give Florida back to the Spanish!

For someone complaining that people in Jacksonville are racist you were pretty quick to assume that everyone in FL is Spanish. I guess it's only racist when someone else does it. I grew up in South Florida and I couldn't have asked for a better, safer childhood. Maybe you shouldn't assume that moving somewhere will automatically make your life better. Take some personal responsibility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wanda in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

Hi my name is Wanda and I am looking for someone that who talking to me by online and he sent me his information such as his passport shown that he is from bryceville Florida and I want to know detail if he is the person who talk to me or he just scam artist or he still the people information . I need to know cause he said that he is in Nigeria and he asking me to send him money . So I need to search this person if he is leave in Florida or someone stole his identity. He name first name is Tim and last name is Raymond .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jaxj in Jacksonville, Florida

42 months ago

Wanda in Los Angeles, California said: Hi my name is Wanda and I am looking for someone that who talking to me by online and he sent me his information such as his passport shown that he is from bryceville Florida and I want to know detail if he is the person who talk to me or he just scam artist or he still the people information . I need to know cause he said that he is in Nigeria and he asking me to send him money . So I need to search this person if he is leave in Florida or someone stole his identity. He name first name is Tim and last name is Raymond .

do not send him money that is a scam

Amber in Jacksonville, Florida

42 months ago

CJ in Hillsboro, Oregon said: I live in the wonderful Seattle area. The weather is temperate. Never too hot and never too cold. People are consistantly friendly and the mood is very kind and liberal. The schools are wonderful no matter where you live in the area, so there is no need to send your kids across town to go to a magnet school. My husband's income and mine have doubled since we moved here. I can walk down the street and not feel afraid. If I park my car and leave it unlocked, it is still there and undamaged when I return. There are no confederate flags flying ANYWHERE and I feel safe.

Never too cold? Also, I thought it rained all of the time there? But I agree that there are more liberal people in that area. However, I consider the winter in Jacksonville to be very cold so I don't think I would survive up there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

erik in Lake City, Florida

40 months ago

Jennifer T. in Jacksonville, Florida said: WOW...It's amazing to see the differences of opinions of this city! I'd love to hear what all the Jacksonville haters have to say about the cities they are from. I say that because I believe most of the people who have only negative comments on the city are just nostalgic and missing home. I was born in this city, and have lived here almost my whole life...I've seen the changes it has gone through, and I have visited every nook and crany and outer lying city, and I consider myself lucky! Don't underestimate my experiences elsewhere, just yet. I have lived other places for temporary periods. One thing that sets Jacksonville apart, is the diversity that we have while still maintaining small town roots. Not too many places offer beaches, rivers, lakes, museums, festivals, cultural fairs, plays, live music, art shows, wine tastings, dog parks, a sports arena and nfl team, major concerts, cruise ships -need I go on?- all in one place wihtout losing that "down home" vibe. I am a product of Duval County Public schools, and I managed to move on and get a degree and find a very lucritive job (which I love) and have friends and family here that never suffer to find things to do for fun. I think all you people who are complaining, should move to a city where you can be catered to and the stimulation you are looking for "served" to you. Because, you must simply be lazy or lack the ability to get out there and look for all the wonderful things waiting for you in this beautiful, coastal, gem of a city!

Ive quietly been reading all the posts and after it all i must say your post convinced me to move to jax. I live in alabama but im from detroit. There is crime and rude people in every city, in every state. You cant escape it but there are nicer places than others. I want to move to jax but my only concern is finding a job. I am a fine dinig chef.I dont have a degree but i am a 24 year veteran of the business. My chances?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Seattle, Washington

39 months ago

RS in Revere, Massachusetts said: For someone complaining that people in Jacksonville are racist you were pretty quick to assume that everyone in FL is Spanish. I guess it's only racist when someone else does it. I grew up in South Florida and I couldn't have asked for a better, safer childhood. Maybe you shouldn't assume that moving somewhere will automatically make your life better. Take some personal responsibility.

Florida used to be owned by Spain YOU IDIOT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

CJ in Seattle, Washington

39 months ago

RS in Revere, Massachusetts said: For someone complaining that people in Jacksonville are racist you were pretty quick to assume that everyone in FL is Spanish. I guess it's only racist when someone else does it. I grew up in South Florida and I couldn't have asked for a better, safer childhood. Maybe you shouldn't assume that moving somewhere will automatically make your life better. Take some personal responsibility.

Well, I can tell that you were educated in Florida, because you're too dumb to know that Florida was once a Spanish colony. Which is why I said we should give it back. That's the educational system you're setting your kids up for (those of you who are thinking of moving there!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Brad Taylor in Arlington, Virginia

39 months ago

Possible job offer coming. Where can you live and not be worried about being mugged and broken into?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NoJobInJax in Jacksonville, Florida

36 months ago

Brad Taylor in Arlington, Virginia said: Possible job offer coming. Where can you live and not be worried about being mugged and broken into?

Brad, if you move here from Virgina, you may be sad soon. Unless you are in medicine or military - this is NOT the town for employment.

We are huge, spread out and have zero public transportation. Nothing is within walking distance so make sure you have a good car.

For living safely, stay away from downtown ,northside,Arlington. If the rent or house is real cheap - beware.

It's not the friendliest town around and takes a lifetime to get used to and appreciate. Our weather is muggy in the summer and we have two weeks of winter. For some reason Forbes says we are the best city to retire in...must be all the hospitals - we do have hospitals!

There is a subtle racial disharmony here too.

It is what it is - my home, with ups and downs.

My honest advise to you - if you have a job where you are - stay there. REally!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cbehnke in Jacksonville, Florida

35 months ago

Jax is sucks it's been 2 year try to find job. I have dgree nobody even call even as a cashier. and the pay hourly is not enough to live with. So after my husband get out from NAvy I have plan to move. What for stay in the city that you cannot find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CaptainK in Dayton, Ohio

35 months ago

Ginger in Jacksonville, Florida said: Personally, I feel that those who are on here bashing Jacksonville should be ashamed of themselves. If you don't like it here, leave. I think Jacksonville is one of the greatest cities. For those who complain about the crime rates; I think we all wish we could live in a time when neighbors looked out for each other, public safety was a way of life, and justice was not a hope but an expectation. However, this just isn't the case. I work in violent crime and have found that those who complain most are the ones who have no active involvment in the community. You continue to focus on the problem without ever contributing to the solution. Everyday I get to see the worst of the worst, violent criminals with no remorse, young children who found thier mother's body, parents who lost thier child, and I still manage to wake up each day and say "Hello" to my mailman, take fresh brownies to my nieghbors, and tell those in passing to "Have a nice day". I work in every community in Jacksonville, I've been in every school speaking on awareness in the city, and throughout my life I've lived on 3 different sides of Jacksonville and enjoyed each one in it's own way. I get my nieces every other weekend and we do everything from minature golf, go-karts, bowling, skating (ice and roller), swimming at the waterpark on Beach, volleyball at the beach, and various other activities all which do not involve alcohol. I have 7 very close friends that all grew up on the "Westside" and each one of us are now successful contributing members of society. Just like in any other city, you get what you give; and apparently there are quite a few of you with a glass that's half empty. Also, if you're actively involved in the community, with the Chamber and such, it's much easier to make the conections it takes to get a good job in Jacksonville.

Thank you for an objective and realistic response to living and employment around Jacksonville.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CaptainK in Dayton, Ohio

35 months ago

Ginger - I am interested to get more instruction and direction from you for my wife and I who are looking to relocate to the Jacksonville area. I will retire in about four years from a position similar to yours. My wife will still have about 8 more years to work (hopefully in the PERS system) in a social services related field. I would love to correspond and "pick your brain". We travel to Jacksonville every other year to visit my wife's brother. Would love to talk more.

Putterman in Jacksonville, Florida

35 months ago

Cbehnke in Jacksonville, Florida said: Jax is sucks it's been 2 year try to find job. I have dgree nobody even call even as a cashier. and the pay hourly is not enough to live with. So after my husband get out from NAvy I have plan to move. What for stay in the city that you cannot find a job.

No one will hire someone who cannot even type complete sentences. You may start there with you own education or else you will have this problem everywhere you go and not just in Jacksonville.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Putterman in Jacksonville, Florida

34 months ago

Cbehnke in Jacksonville, Florida said: Wait until you lost your job and you'll be on the same boat :) Oh yea you can read this post by it self if you know how to read jack ass jacksonville.com/business/2011-05-24/story/jacksonville-ranked-ninth-among-worst-cities-job-seekers

Wow! An article from 6 months ago... my how current your information is. The funny thing is that of the ten cities in the article 4 are in the state of FL. Seems to me that there more of a problem for the state than for just Jacksonville by reading the article. Besides, as a managing professional in Jacksonville, I can certainly say that the labor pool is hardly something to get excited about. Most job offerings in jacksonville are for medical, insurance or banking that require some form of higher education. So far there just isn't enough small businesses to accompany a predominantly large labor force with little experience and education. The times are changing though, as I have seen in recent months, more businesses opening up and more hiring being conducted, but the recent changes could in fact be cyclical in nature due to the upcoming holiday season. As always, networking and relentless pursuit of opportunities is the way to go, but always keep progressive education going.

Quesha in Mesquite, Texas

34 months ago

I am considering relocating to Jacksonville, Fla. I have worked in the Healthcare field for about 5 years now, I am looking for better opportunities. Just wondering if Jacksonville is the place for me and my kids.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mom.Of.Two in Atlanta, Georgia

34 months ago

I am relocating to JAX (San Marco area) this month due to a job offer (with the same company I am with now). We just came down to visit and from what I see, it seems to be a great place to live! We are moving from Pennsylvania and if you think JAX has nothing, you have no idea where I am from! No opportunity, jobs, no future. I not one to bash my home town, because that is where my roots are, but as far as future for my children, I need something different. We just had a huge meth bust in the house 4 houses up from us and we never knew a thing about it. So we know about crime and drugs, believe me! But when you look at the stats, JAX is a much safer place to live. Basically the amount of sex offenders in any square footage is cut in half in JAX, same with robbery and assault. Crime happens, it happens everywhere, you just have to keep your eyes and ears open all the time and educate your children well. The world is not safe anymore, people just don't understand that. Also, the weather is amazing, we are used to humidity and heat, but southern heat is going to take some getting used to, that's for sure. I do not have too much of an opinion yet being I have only seen parts of the city, but life anywhere is what you make it. And yes, I am a Yankee and proud of it. I was raised very well and have a ton of respect for everyone and so do my children. I am very excited to move to the south and start over with my family! I hope everyone can enjoy life no matter where you are! All it takes is a little effort and an open mind! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

codenews in Orange Park, Florida

34 months ago

ey guys and gals:

I have seen some people trying to promote safelinkwireless and asking people for personal information including but not limited to:

** Your LEGAL NAME
** Last 4 Digits of your SSN
** Date of Birth
** Address

---------------------
DO NOT GIVE THIS ASSOCIATES YOUR INFORMATION; I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT AS MUCH AS THEY SAY THE ASSOCIATES ARE FROM SAFELINK THEY ARE ACTUALLY FROM A MARKETING COMPANY TRYING TO COLLECT AND STEAL YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
IF YOU WANT TO SIGN UP FOR SAFELINKWIRELESS DO IT ONLY FROM YOUR COMPUTER *** DO NOT USE ANY PROMO CODES **** AND *** DO NOT BE A VICTIM OF FRAUD DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR INFORMATION ****

Rachel Greene in Jacksonville, Florida

32 months ago

The jobs are tough to find here. Stay away from UNF - there are some huge egos there in leadership; leaders that should learn how take care of their quality employees. The VP of HR is discriminatory. The President is more concerned with fundraising than its staff and it trickles to the rest of the leadership.

albanytech in Albany, Georgia said: i want to relocate and i'm thinking about jacksonville,fl. i've been visiting jacksonville about twice a year for the past 4 years and i loved each visit. Visiting is very different from living there so i'm looking for feedback on job opportunities and advice on the best side of town to live on.I am a surgical tech, therefore i am looking for a great hospital to work at.Any comments are welcomed. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eunice in Orlando, Florida

32 months ago

LOVE IT.... Please stop... My sides are killing me... Lol

shakeya in Brooklyn, New York

23 months ago

I'm leaving ny to move to jacksonville.my daughter is 8 and is in third grade.what are the best public schools.I'm looking at the regencey area.
I'm also In the medical field for medical assistant.does any one knows of great
Hospitals and clinics.also I want to go back to school for register nurse what colleges are good.I love jacksonville when I visit and I know its different from ny.does anyone know where I can purchase a car for a reasonable price.

ST in Jax in Jacksonville, Florida

17 months ago

If your in medical field you should do quite well, Jax is somewhat a paradise for medical jobs. If you were in the military and have a clean record you should be able to find a job more easily than others due to a lot of companies taking DD-214's over those with no military background. I'm not sure if companies are still getting paid for taking DD-214s but it is what it is regardless. I'm almost forty years old and have never really been unemployed, but at times that I was unemployed (maybe a year total in my life) my photography business has provided for me anyway. When I moved to Jax, all that changed, it does seem you have to go through the web of temp agencies to get any decent work unless your in the medical field. Other fields do have a few rays of sunshine but the medical field is the golden nugget here. Culture here is lacking a bit to what I'm used to and my photography business suffered as a result. I've tried to make it work but the job market is somewhat nutty, even their hiring processes at some companies. My wife went to a job interview, and before the interview she was told the start date of training, job duties, etc. At the end of interview they told her they'll be in contact regardless with their decision. 3 weeks later, a week of training goes by for the position, the company calls her and asks "why didn't you show up for training?" Keep in mind my wife is relentless in being organized and filing personal documents, tax forms, checking emails, anything important, etc. If she was contacted by the company to start training she would of known. They contacted her on FRIDAY and asked why she didn't show up on MONDAY...Really? A week has gone by why even contact her at all at this point? My point on this regard is the "mindset" in the area, I'm not gonna go as far and say people down here are down right stupid or dumb, but there is a different "thought process" going on down here with the majority of residents.

LadyD in Newark, Delaware

17 months ago

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida said: Those with the negative comments on Jax have no doubt had a bad experience here. But that happens anywhere. Anytown has those that like and appreciate it and those that don't. I'm just glad that I found Jax 20 years ago when I moved here from the suburbs of Chicago. I came for vacation and then moved here a few months later - that's how much of a gem I thought Jax was and as it grows I love it even more! If anyone would like to experience a different Jax - let me know and I'll reply with lists of events , activities, jobs and career paths, etc...There is so much here that I would love for everyone to experience it!

While I know that this feed is pretty old I myself am considering relocating to JAX in June. I had lived in Orlando previously about ten years ago for a year and had been trying to determine a place to relocate to in Florida from Delaware for a few years now. I did some research on Jacksonville after a friend suggested it to me as a potential new home. I visited in Feb for a bit of a scouting tour with my 7 year old daughter and I feel in love. We were there from Friday to Monday so it was a quick trip but I got a good feeling about it. We then returned during her spring break the first week of April and it confirmed my desire to move there (even my daughter is now 100% looking forward to it). During the second trip I did have a couple of interviews scheduled, though mostly with employment agencies, as well as looked into some housing options. I have decided that I would like to stay between Southside and the Ponte Vedra area with hopes of purchasing a home in the Nocatee community within a year or so of moving there. I thought that your comments were insightful so I wanted to see if you had any advice for me? I am an experienced marketing specialist with an MBA and currently in the process of obtaining another Master degree in Internet Marketing. I would like to stay in that field but open.

17 months ago

ST in Jax in Jacksonville, Florida said: If your in medical field you should do quite well...

ST in Jacksonville, thank you for your insight. I am actually contemplating a career move with my relocation to Jacksonville this summer. I actually just ordered the training and certification materials so that I complete the certification for medical device sales. I am also considering pursuing the certification for pharmaceuticals sales representative as well. I have 10 years of experience in the marketing field in various industries, a BA in English, a MBA with a marketing specialization, and almost completion of an MS in Internet Marketing. While my career thus far has been focused on marketing I have lacked stability due to the economy and being laid off a number of times throughout the last 10 years. I really do like JAX and think it would be a great start for myself and my daughter. Since your comments are the most recent on this feed if you could provide any other insight or advice as to the medical/healthcare field and the city of JAX and surrounding areas I would greatly appreciate it. My goal was to move in June to be there prior to my birthday on July 1st. The only thing that is really holding me back is securing employment and I was told by a few recruiters that if I get this certification with my education and other experience I should be able to get into the medical sales field. Again, I thank you in advance for any insight and/or advice. Regards :)

17 months ago

So did you move to Jacksonville and how are you and your family liking it? Do you live in the San Marco area or somewhere else? I am planning to relocate on my own accord to the area with my 7 year old daughter so any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am from Delaware, not far from Philadelphia, so I think your perspective would be pretty beneficial.

Mom.Of.Two in Atlanta, Georgia said: I am relocating to JAX (San Marco area) this month due to a job offer (with the same company I am with now). We just came down to visit and from what I see, it seems to be a great place to live! We are moving from Pennsylvania and if you think JAX has nothing, you have no idea where I am from! No opportunity, jobs, no future. I not one to bash my home town, because that is where my roots are, but as far as future for my children , I need something different. We just had a huge meth bust in the house 4 houses up from us and we never knew a thing about it. So we know about crime and drugs, believe me! But when you look at the stats, JAX is a much safer place to live. Basically the amount of sex offenders in any square footage is cut in half in JAX, same with robbery and assault. Crime happens, it happens everywhere, you just have to keep your eyes and ears open all the time and educate your children well. The world is not safe anymore, people just don't understand that. Also, the weather is amazing, we are used to humidity and heat, but southern heat is going to take some getting used to, that's for sure. I do not have too much of an opinion yet being I have only seen parts of the city , but life anywhere is what you make it. And yes, I am a Yankee and proud of it. I was raised very well and have a ton of respect for everyone and so do my children. I am very excited to move to the south and start over with my family! I hope everyone can enjoy life no matter where you are! All it takes is a little effort and an open mind! :)

GeminiNYC6 in Bronx, New York

16 months ago

LadyD in Newark, Delaware said: So did you move to Jacksonville and how are you and your family liking it? Do you live in the San Marco area or somewhere else? I am planning to relocate on my own accord to the area with my 7 year old daughter so any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am from Delaware, not far from Philadelphia, so I think your perspective would be pretty beneficial.

LADYD Reading this comments has confused me for many years.Half positive Half negative but since you are a currently about to move.Would you please keep me posted on your move schools the area social life church etc anything. It seems as you have a positive attitude about things. I myself am looking forward in relocating to Jax w/4girls hopefully by Feb 2014

GeminiNYC6 in Bronx, New York

16 months ago

forgot to day Thank you in advanced and wishes you all the best success.

Carol in Spokane, Washington

15 months ago

I just love your post! I've lived all over the country and believe a persons attitude makes the difference! I'm going to be moving South in the fall and Jacksonville is high on my list. I'm doing research on jobs and areas and trying to educate myself as best as I can. I have a degree in Program Management and am retired from the Air Force. I'm hoping my education & experience AND positive experience will guide me to finding a great new life. I'm so tired of being cold the weather alone is enough to capture my attention! Your post is positive and reflects a lot of things I'm looking for. Any additional insight you may have would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

amonique1983 in Toledo, Ohio

14 months ago

Hello all!
I am a newly licensed Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant looking to relocate to Jax. The area that I am in is saturated and it is very difficult to find a full time job. I am also tired of the snow and cold weather here and would love to be near a beach and just expose my children to a different environment. Jax seems like a diverse place to live with many activities and things to do from my research so far. I am very interested to know of any companies that would be good to work for as well as the best schools/areas to live as I have 11 and 6 year old girls. ANY and ALL comments are greatly appreciated :)

dmteles in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

12 months ago

This city is full of banks and insurance companies mainly and I would also suggest that for work.

We are not from here, and it has been extremely difficult for me. We will be leaving
as soon as we can, and not come back. Very beautiful, but has no soul, at least not that
I can see, and not only that people are extremely judgmental here if they don't know you
they assume, whatever. I came here with a very positive attitude but with being bullied by the locals, or whomever, I just can't wait to leave. Wish we'd never come here. This city is very sad, just because something is beautiful on the outside it's the heart of the city that matters, the people, how they treat newcomers ect. Unless you know someone who lives here or a friend or family member, I wouldn't locate here. Cost of living here is high also compared to other parts of Florida, except Miami area. Still shocked....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

amused in North Augusta, South Carolina

3 months ago

MomInJax in Jacksonville, Florida said: "It was the most racist, sexist and homophobic city I'd ever lived in." - I have heard alot of these complaints on this forum and others; but have never personally experienced any of this is my almost 20 years living here. We live in a diverse area of Jax and the schools and workplace are very diverse. Activities we attend are also culturally diverse. Does anyone have specific examples because I don't get it?!
I really love Jax and have found it always to be a pretty friendly city. Where are all the attitudes coming from????

LOL! I believe the Spanish comment has more to do with US history than the ever-growing latin american presence in Florida.

Doc in Middleburg, Florida

2 months ago

I'm a doctor working in the area and have been employed in both public and private sector. I'll provide a few pearls I've picked up over the years.
1.) if one considers going to prison and being murdered equally detrimental to ones future then duval county is the most dangerous county in the nation. This is a fact!
2.) the one block radius around the greyhound bus stop in downtown jacksonville is the most dangerous block in the nation.
3.) florida is the nations leading exporter of college graduates. College grads can't find meaningful work here.
4.) on last count there were only five health insurance companies in florida. Employers know this, leads to very high health insurance premiums.
5.) Google and youtube the leadership of Jacksonville. Draw your own conclusions.
6.) check websites of allied van lines and the like for florida in/out bound traffic. People are moving out.
7.) Jacksonville school system is a leading loser. Sure there is Bolles, but it will cost in excess of $12,000 to send your child there. Ponte Vedra schools are good but they are in Saint Johns county, not duval. Beachside schools are good, but if your reading this forum chances are your not preparing to live in Jax or Neptune beach.
8.) Approx. 0.5% of nation works at minimum wage. Anyone care to guess what % of florida employees is at minimum wage. Last time I looked it was 6.8%. All those goofy and Mickey filled costumes account for the same job numbers as those of nurses, engineers and cpa's. Don't be fooled!
9.) florida is a non forgiving floreclosure state. If you purchase a property and you can't sell or make payments the lenders have you locked in for life to your obligation and all associated legal fees. Think about that!
10.) when starting my first practice 20 years ago a banker told me to be cautious of the cheap rent. Applies to homes too.

TV in Jacksonville, Florida

13 days ago

The lovely weather in JAX...too hot 6 months of every year to be outside & 3months too cold, too wet, too humid, etc...plan on 30 days a year when you can actually "enjoy" Florida. We are in a great neighborhood in "Southside", very quiet, no crime...but neighbors are inside in the A/C.or in cars with windows rolled up...so you'll never get to know them.(I'm sure that the criminals will find our quiet area eventually)..there are lovely fire ants everywhere (my dog's been to the vet 3 times for ant bites) PLUS allergens...if you didn't have allergies BEFORE moving here, you WILL! (SOMEthing is ALWAYS blooming!!!) (I lived in OC, CA, Sacramento, San Antonio, Denver, Seattle, and Des Moines and NEVER had allergies; but JAX KILLS me with god-knows-what DAILY!). There's black mold, green mold, and unidentifiable mushrooms growing everywhere...Snowbirds fly in for 3-6 months every year &!act like they own the place. Plan on being alone & friendless if you have any left-ward leanings, drive a Prius, vote Democratic & don't believe Tebow is God's Gift to football! (We won't mention the FANiticism of the WORST NFL team:Jaguars!) Also, plan on spending a minimum of $1,800 a month for a DECENT 1-bedroom apartment Southside JAX, all the expenses you pay to live in Orange County, CA or Seattle...but without the scenery or nice weather...PLUS an electric bill of +$500 just for keeping your domain a "comfy" 78 degrees! Unlike other large cities, there's no ART, THEATER or cultured activities in JAX...BUT, IF you LOVE living in 100 degree heat with 100% humidity, daily rain, thunderstorms & lightening on a flat sand dune inundated with fire ants, geckos & creepy-crawlies of every sort, if you enjoy having rust & molds on everything & chiseling lime scale from toilets, tubs & sinks..if you enjoy running from hurricanes from June to November, you will LOVE JAX! (& I have a lovely home to sell!) You can't blame the natives born here who stay, they don't know any better!

TV in Jacksonville, Florida

13 days ago

By the way...it's spelled LUCRATIVE!!! As a former business owner, hiring my employees was the most STRESSFUL task I had to accomplish! Admittedly, back in the 70's and 80's, I didn't give poor spelling and sentence structure much weight when assessing prospective employees. But this is the 21st Century! Even as I type THIS, the AUTO-CORRECT fixes any of my spelling errors. My BEST advice to anyone seeking employment is to read, re-read and READ AGAIN. Read it OUT LOUD, so that you can HEAR your own rhetoric! There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE to have spelling errors in ANYTHING you are putting forth in the public domain, but ESPECIALLY anything to do with possible employment!! It exposes not only your lack of education, but a lack of ATTENTION TO DETAIL! (And it puts your resume directly into the trash can!). Put your thinking cap on and use Spell Check! Instead of a non-descriptive statement "JAX SUCKS!", tell me WHY you believe JAX sucks! JAX SUCKS doesn't tell me about the employment opportunities, cost of living, lack if cultural activities or the weather. In fact, your statement "JAX SUCKS" tells me more about you than it tells me about JAX, and your resume, too, goes into the Round File! While I understand that young people today have their own descriptives that the "older generation" doesn't understand, please understand THIS: WE are the people who have the job openings! and YOUR job is to convince us to hire you! Even if your resume is printed on paper that cost $25 a page, if it is full of spelling errors, inflated employment history and inattention to detail, someone ELSE will be called for the interview.

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.