Moving to Kokomo - how did you get here?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

Reply - Report abuse

Native Transplant

92 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

I relocated from the South due to family tragedy. I downsized significantly in order to make the move much more affordable. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have moved. I would have provided financial assistance and emotional support by phone, email, card,letter, and more frequent visits. The job market in Kokomo, IN hasn't been at all what I had hoped, and the city culture is limited. Lots of fast-food and mid-level chain restaurants (some very good) and average shopping. Much better shopping in Indianapolis, Ft. Wayne and Chicago. Good resale shops & civic theatre. Local College. Two Large Factories providing the highest-end income but many challenges right now: layoffs, wage freezes, wage decreases, corporate reorganization. Several smaller factories paying not much above retail clerk wages. Few professional job opportunities outside factories. Several law-firms, specializing in foreclosures, bankruptcy & criminal law. Healthcare jobs on the rise. Very Nice Senior Living Facilities offered. Several bars featuring nudity even amidst many, many, many churches. One Family Movie Theatre. New Skating Rink. More than one newspaper published in town. Two Public Libraries. Sluggish Real Estate Market. Abundant Foreclosures. Real Estate a little Over Priced for the ambiance offered by this city. Kokomo is the County Seat. Very Nice Highland Park with several playgrounds, ball stadium, tennis courts, frizbe, bike path, indian trails, covered bridge, many picnic areas. Local Symphony. Several smaller parks. Good Area schools: Townships of Kokomo, Taylor, Western, Northwestern, Eastern, Tri-Central all in Howard County. Very giving people donating several hundred thousand dollars each year for a charitable cause called "We Care". Accomplished History. "The City of Firsts."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Native Transplant

92 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

I relocated from the South due to family tragedy. I downsized significantly in order to make the move much more affordable. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't have moved. I would have provided financial assistance and emotional support by phone, email, card,letter, and more frequent visits. The job market in Kokomo, IN hasn't been at all what I had hoped, and the city culture is limited. Lots of fast-food and mid-level chain restaurants (some very good) and average shopping. Much better shopping in Indianapolis, Ft. Wayne, Mishiwauka, and Chicago. Lots of Great Festivals throughout the State. Good resale shops & civic theatre. Local College. Two Large Factories providing the highest-end income but many challenges right now: layoffs, wage freezes, wage decreases, corporate reorganization. Several smaller factories paying not much above retail clerk wages. Few professional job opportunities outside factories. Several law-firms, specializing in foreclosures, bankruptcy & criminal law. Healthcare jobs on the rise. Very Nice Senior Living Facilities offered. Several bars featuring nudity even amidst many, many, many churches. One Family Movie Theatre. New Skating Rink. More than one newspaper published in town. Two Public Libraries. Sluggish Real Estate Market. Abundant Foreclosures. Real Estate a little Over Priced for the ambiance offered by this city. Kokomo is the County Seat. Very Nice Highland Park with several playgrounds, ball stadium, tennis courts, frizbe, bike path, indian trails, covered bridge, many picnic areas. Local Symphony. Several smaller parks. Good Area schools. Very giving people donating several hundred thousand dollars each year for a charitable cause called "We Care". Accomplished History. "The City of Firsts." Best Corn & Tomatoes ever tasted!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.