where can felons get hired

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

juliacarpio in Alhambra, California

79 months ago

I have worked all my life and am one of the few that feels pride in earning a living. I have a felony record, I am 50 years old with a lot of skills but can not find a job due to my record. Where can I go to get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (496) / No (97) Reply - Report abuse

Henry ta in Salt Lake City, Utah

8 months ago

juliacarpio in Alhambra, California said: I have worked all my life and am one of the few that feels pride in earning a living. I have a felony record, I am 50 years old with a lot of skills but can not find a job due to my record. Where can I go to get a job?

You ARE NOT SCREWED but the question is, what type of job are you willing to work at? Call center conducting interviews? fast food? IT? sales? Most of these types of jobs will hire you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alice Johnson in Georgia

8 months ago

Henry ta in Salt Lake City, Utah said: You ARE NOT SCREWED but the question is, what type of job are you willing to work at? Call center conducting interviews? fast food ? IT? sales? Most of these types of jobs will hire you

I can say from experience that IT will not hire anyone who has a conviction less than 7 years old. We are experiencing that now. The conviction is 1 year old & after 12 job offers being taken back because of the conviction I think that's proof. If the conviction is over 7 years ago you have a chance especially if they don't ask about convictions. Do a background check on your self first to see what employers will probably get. Then you know what you're up against.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melchas in Torrance, California

3 months ago

Is this an organization/ nonprofit?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alice Johnson in Georgia

3 months ago

I am curious as well. I didn't see any online references to this organization & that strikes me as a bit odd. It would seem that somewhere online would be a mention of this group. I wish it was legit because I know several people that could use job help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

A concerned person in Burbank, California

3 months ago

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts said: You pretty much are screwed. I have two degrees and cannot find a job (anywhere) because of bad credit and lack of references. I couldn't even imagine how someone with a felony especially recently would be able to find a job anywhere. Even temp agencies are doing credit & background checks BEFORE submitting your resume to a client. I found out today that I am ineligible for any assignments whatsoever with Robert Half because of my 'adverse credit profile'.

It doesn't matter if you have alot of skills or what degrees, certifications or credentials you have. What determines whether or not one finds a job (ANY JOB) is their background check (that all companies now do), their credit & what 'others' are saying about them off the record (employers will use linked in & facebook to dig up as much as your past and talk to as many people who may know you as possible)

This was not helpful and just not true. There are job listings out there for felons. The jobs are few and far between, so there needs to be more. But to go out of your way to tell a man he will never find a job just seems cruel. He's not applying for the same kinds of jobs as you, so perhaps this isn't your field of expertise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alice Johnson in Georgia

3 months ago

A concerned person in Burbank, California said: This was not helpful and just not true. There are job listings out there for felons. The jobs are few and far between, so there needs to be more. But to go out of your way to tell a man he will never find a job just seems cruel. He's not applying for the same kinds of jobs as you, so perhaps this isn't your field of expertise.

What Nick said is unfortunately true in most cases. If your conviction was over 7 years ago, you might have a chance of the background check not picking it up. If your Google & Facebook results are clean then you have a chance. But the 1st time someone finds out about your background, most employers will let you go even if you've been a super employee. My family has experienced that firsthand.

I have seen jobs for landscapers & someone that picks up trash from apartment complexes. Guess what.. they want a clean background check to hire you. These are jobs posted by small independent individuals & still they want a background check. Skilled or unskilled labor all are doing background checks in most cases.

I don't know what is worse- offering encouragement that someone somewhere will look at the person & not the label or being realistic & telling them that it is almost impossible to overcome without help. Being rejected is a horrible feeling that leads to just as much despair.

Until employers overcome the bias & are willing to look at each case on an individual basis, people will suffer trying to find a job post conviction. There are many groups trying to change the attitude but it's a slow process. With over 65 million people in the US having some sort of conviction on their record you'd think that people would take a stand to say this is unfair. One day it could be someone you know or even you that has life turned upside down & then the world as you know it will change forever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.