Looking to relocate

Comments (5)

Christopher in Lakeland, Florida

82 months ago

The job market in FL just is not what it used to be. I came across the information about the Louisville Reunion. I've never considered relocating since most companies really do not look at out-of-state candidates. At this point in my life though I feel like a change would be good for me. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on great places to look that would be more likely to consider an out-of -state candidate. I do have a Bachelor's degree but limited work experience.

Darin in Louisville, Kentucky

81 months ago

Christopher in Lakeland, Florida said: The job market in FL just is not what it used to be. I came across the information about the Louisville Reunion. I've never considered relocating since most companies really do not look at out-of-state candidates. At this point in my life though I feel like a change would be good for me. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on great places to look that would be more likely to consider an out-of -state candidate. I do have a Bachelor's degree but limited work experience.

The job market here is one of the worst in the country especially for the educated. Short of a few specialized areas such as the medical or IT fields the jobs here revolve around distribution ie UPS package thrower or truck driver. Once a middle class manufacturing community the reasonably well paying factory jobs have been replaced by PART TIME distribution jobs. UPS employs something like over 5000 part-timers!

Paper Box in somewhere in the midwest

80 months ago

Darin in Louisville, Kentucky said: The job market here is one of the worst in the country especially for the educated. Short of a few specialized areas such as the medical or IT fields the jobs here revolve around distribution ie UPS package thrower or truck driver. Once a middle class manufacturing community the reasonably well paying factory jobs have been replaced by PART TIME distribution jobs. UPS employs something like over 5000 part-timers!

I'm from the Midwest and have noticed this a lot about this particular area. What you've said pretty much hits the nail on the head for me, as I have a college degree, have tried finding work, but either do not hear back from the companies I apply to (both temp and applications directly through the company) or am told I do not have enough experience. I only work part-time now and am in need of a full-time job.

And I have noticed UPS hires a lot of part-timers, many of those making $8.00 an hour as package handlers.

I need to relocate too.

Sara hane in Washington, District of Columbia

80 months ago

I can tell you that I moved to Pensacala, Florida 3 years ago, and have NOT found a job yet. I have over 20 years of payroll experience and a Human Resource degree. I have been sending out resumes over the net though several sites, to several cities(Tampa, Petersburg, St. Auguestine, Jacksonville) and have had only two interviews. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the job market down here, I beleive that the "good ol' boy " syndrom is pretty common here.
I have recently started sending resumes up in the Northern Virginia aera and within one week I have had 5 phone interviews.
If you plan on relocating to Florida, if you know someone, that knows someone yo might have better luck than I did.

Paper Box in somewhere in the midwest

80 months ago

Sara hane in Washington, District of Columbia said: I can tell you that I moved to Pensacala, Florida 3 years ago, and have NOT found a job yet. I have over 20 years of payroll experience and a Human Resource degree. I have been sending out resumes over the net though several sites, to several cities(Tampa, Petersburg, St. Auguestine, Jacksonville) and have had only two interviews. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in the job market down here, I beleive that the "good ol' boy " syndrom is pretty common here.
I have recently started sending resumes up in the Northern Virginia aera and within one week I have had 5 phone interviews.
If you plan on relocating to Florida, if you know someone, that knows someone yo might have better luck than I did.

I'm probably not going to relocate to Florida -- I've been reading about their job market and it doesn't sound any better than ours up here. :( But I will look into a few other states and see what's out there. Thank you for your input and advice.

At least it is good to know that I am not alone and that there are others having this same trouble finding work. I am glad I found these forums here.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.