What are the best neigborhoods in Memphis?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 199)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Wisconsin in Madison, Wisconsin

37 months ago

google it in Orlando, Florida said: anybody can Google Memphis TN, and read absolute reams of opinions based on experiences in Memphis TN

look, memphis is not some fantastic progressive city, if you think it is you have been sleepwalking in the past 15 or so years ! the place is not competitive with a lot of other southern cities, sorry but that's the damn truth

but go live there and find out for yoruself ! the place is primitive by comparison to cities like Atlanta, Nashville, orlando, charlotte, Tampa and even Knoxville is a better place for kids to get an education for instance

I don't have an axe to grind, but any fool that suggests that only people that STAY in Memphis actually care about the city !! that's crazy because most people are actually TRAPPED in the city with little alternatives

many transplants are just doing their time and paying their dues to move on out including execs at Fedex, UT MEd, St Jude, U of M, International Paper, AutoZone, Smith and Nephew, Northwest/Delta, and many others

Memphis is not some dynamic city on the cutting edge ! that too is crazy. it's an overgrown cotton trading bs river town with a Mississippi overtone. If you think that's great for an environment, you will enjoy the hell out of memphis

I generally tell people to SKIP this experience and choose a better place to live in the south and the state- geez Nashville is even in another class

I know I can google information on the Memphis area and that is actually how I found this forum. I am just looking for different people's oppions to get some input other than what I can find that is printed online. I am from the midwest but my husband is from the south originally and we both have lived on the west coast. We are looking to live in a suburban area that is close to a big city. I have read many mixed things on Memphis but I do know that like any large city-there will be crime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wisconsin in Madison, Wisconsin

37 months ago

google it in Orlando, Florida said: anybody can Google Memphis TN, and read absolute reams of opinions based on experiences in Memphis TN

look, memphis is not some fantastic progressive city, if you think it is you have been sleepwalking in the past 15 or so years ! the place is not competitive with a lot of other southern cities, sorry but that's the damn truth

but go live there and find out for yoruself ! the place is primitive by comparison to cities like Atlanta, Nashville, orlando, charlotte, Tampa and even Knoxville is a better place for kids to get an education for instance

I don't have an axe to grind, but any fool that suggests that only people that STAY in Memphis actually care about the city !! that's crazy because most people are actually TRAPPED in the city with little alternatives

many transplants are just doing their time and paying their dues to move on out including execs at Fedex, UT MEd, St Jude, U of M, International Paper, AutoZone, Smith and Nephew, Northwest/Delta, and many others

Memphis is not some dynamic city on the cutting edge ! that too is crazy. it's an overgrown cotton trading bs river town with a Mississippi overtone. If you think that's great for an environment, you will enjoy the hell out of memphis

I generally tell people to SKIP this experience and choose a better place to live in the south and the state- geez Nashville is even in another class

I understand that I can google information on Memphis, I did do a lot of research and that is how I found this forum. I was looking to interact with people from the area to get some oppinions other than the printed articles I found online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Noralee in Atlanta, Georgia

37 months ago

Wisconsin in Madison, Wisconsin said: Thank you so much for your input. I was looking for different people's oppinions and yours has helped. I am 31 so we are about the same age. We would be looking to live in the suburbs but like the idea of living near a big city as I grew up in a suburb but lived close to a big city. I appreciate you taking time to respond. I know everyone is going to have their own oppions and everyone's will be different so I was just looking to get some different input. Thank you!

Your welcome (and p.s having just moved from NYC after 6 years there to Atlanta - there really aren't any progressive cities - there are backwards thinkers everywhere - as I'm sure you've seen your own fair share of in the places you've lived). Memphis really does offer lots of options. My husband and I are both specialized lawyers or I'd move us back. It would bevhwlpful if someone from millington would respond :) (oh, I grew up in the suburbs as well - I didn't realize how fun Memphis was until I returned post undergrad ;)).

Good luck and hope you guys find a home regardless of where that ends up being!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

atty too in Stone Mountain, Georgia

37 months ago

Memphis DOESN't offer a 'lot of choices' ! in what ? education ? entertainment ? great world class food and shopping ?? great racial relations ? ethnic variation ?? culture ? THAT'S A JOKE BY COMPARISON TO JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER CITY.

MEMPHIS IS FULL OF BACKWARDNESS, THAT'S THE SALIENT POINT.

Memphis is of course full of crime, but so are a lot of cities of course, but that's not exactly why Memphis is a bad choice by comparison.

I lived in East Memphis for years so I know what my own opinions are, and they are based on experience- having lived across the US, and Memphis TN is probably the WORST environment in which I have lived the WORST on many levels....politically, racially, culturally, academically and beyond..

Memphis doesn't even have a superb supermarket..not really, or great shopping.

It's full of bullsht food and chain restaurants. The so-called local crap like in the Cooper Young district is mediocre by Atlanta or Charlotte standards, and people in Tampa would laugh their asses off, ditto Austin or Raleigh.. and there are not 2 upscale worth a damn restaurants in entire Germantown worth mention and zero in my opinion in the other upscale suburb of Collierville ! go figure.....but if you want greazyazz bbq, cheap mexican, pub grub, fried shikkkennnn, and nasty buffet chinese, then you'll LOVE Memphis.

Locals don't know any better because most have NEVER lived anywhere else, and most of the majority population DON'T TRAVEL outside of W TN at ALL

In an nutshell, most of the residents are very very narrow people ! this is not some 'cosmopolitan' advanced area- West TN for heaven's sake It's more like Mississippi not like the rest of TN one bit. If you like what Mississippi represents, you'll love living in this environment.
I wish you well, but keep doing your OWN research and don't get sold a bill of goods, or believe the hype, the place has serious, massive problems. If you have time to throw away, it's your kind of city.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

memphisEXPERIENCED in New York, New York

36 months ago

first don't do it if you have a choice

stay away from, Midtown, DT, south of city, north of city, anything in Cordova, Bartlett, Milligton, anything near Hacks Cross and Winchester, anything in MS, anywhere near Winchester (Bill Morris Pwy area, inlcuding Southwind)

try around "east Memphis" (Galloway/perkins, Massey, Quail Hollow, shady Grove, Cottingham, Humphries)

try esp around Germantown (that's where I lived), collierville, Arlingtons, Eads, Lakeland)

THEN GET YOUR FAMILY OUT OF THIS BACKWARD AZZ TOWN QUICKLY. I would never rear kids there. My ex was smart enough to move to Las Colinas even. Memphis is awful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

sil_vf in San Antonio, Texas

36 months ago

Thanks, we are now in memphis area trying to look around and you are totally right. We are looking now houses in Olive Branch MS intead and I'm way happier than when we were in TN. I didn't like that much Arlington eventhough everybody say is the best place to live in suburbs memphis. Collierville is or too old or tooo expensive . Hope this transition run smooth and is over soon. I'm absolutely love Mckinney texas!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Never again Memphis, now close to/ in Virginia Beach, Virginia

36 months ago

sil

don't live in the worst state in the USA, that would be MS ! fattest, dumbest and the stigma is quite awful when you decide to move-----don't send your kids to public school in the state of MS ! having your cars with MS tags is even a stigma, but nobody tells you that until you decide to move again out of the region---if you stay in the region then nobody cares but don't do it

maintain a TN mailing address and buy a house in the State of TN---period---not the same stigma at all

MISSISSIPPI also has an INCOME TAX ! TN does NOT car registration is stupid high as well

DON'T do it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

progessivelymoving1 in Memphis, Tennessee

36 months ago

Memphis Suckkks in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I encourage anyone to pick other cities to live in- I lived in Collierville for several years (not a terrbile suburb), but the whole area is 35 years behind most other cities, and these people actually THINK they are some cutting edge city ! give me a BREAK !! it's not advanced as Nashville, or Raleigh or Austin, or Tampa, or Charlotte. It suffers because most of the idiots come from places like Mississippi and Arkansas or ssshtbird TN towns such as Gleason, Union City, Dyersburg, Martin, Jackson and the like.

The place is horrible ! bad drivers, nasty food, stupid people, bad schools, racism on both sides/everywhere, bad leaders, stupid police, bad politics.

Tons of better places to live

This post is so true, it is horrible because most of the people come from mississippi and arkansas and have lived here for 20 years or more. Even those who grew up here, come from mississippi and arkansas or there parents so, crazy is generational.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

haha in Chicago, Illinois

36 months ago

ponytl in Memphis, Tennessee said: sounds.... I almost sound like what I was describing

No, you don't almost sound like it. You DO sound like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MphsMarketer in Memphis, Tennessee

35 months ago

OK, folks. Let's tell some truth, here. First, the Memphis MSA has over 2 million people, so if there's a type--good or bad--you'll find it here. Second, Memphis metro covers a large land area--comparable to Nashville, Tampa, and many mid-size city in the South or West. And the things that make any city unique are also those things that natives and transplants either love or hate. Memphis city proper is 60% African American, a population plagued with generational poverty even more marked here because of past emigration from the vast cotton plantations in MS, AR, and West TN. If you don't like poor black folk and all the stereotypes associated with them, you'll quickly get tired of Memphis. Frustrated even. Same goes for working-class whites, usually from nearby rural counties and the lack of culture and sophistication found there. If you don't like Bubba rednecks, you'll get tired of Memphis, but you'll also tire of Nashville, Knoxville, Birmingham, DFW, Houston, even Orlando. You get the idea. North Memphis (south of Millington) is racially mixed, poor and working class, and the homes and schools reflect that. South Memphis is mostly poor African American, and the schools also reflect that. Many working- and lower-middle class white folks have fled just over the border in Mississippi, where they equate good schools and safe neighborhoods with whiteness, educated or not. But the main part of the city--from Downtown on the river, all the way through to the eastern county line, is solidly middle class, and many parts like much of East Memphis, Germantown, and Collierville, are wealthy, but all comparisons with all cities everywhere. If you're well-travelled, educated, and professional, you'll find many--and varied--neighborhoods to love. BUT if you've only been to a dozen other states or less, have a high-school diploma or less, then you'll probably hate Memphis and its racial and cultural mix. Be everyone be warned: Memphis is distinctly Southern.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Pardon the interruption. By "distinctly Southern," we mean: if you have any weaknesses in your manners, don't know how to wear wool in the depths of August humidity, and can't mix a toddy on the weekend--or appreciate those who can--you'll feel foreign, as you should. If you're not devoted to the same college's athletic teams supported by your family for generations, you'll be pitied. Perhaps even shunned. The same behaviors you associate with 19th Century Southern Aristocracy still rule the professional culture in this city. Think Charleston, Savannah, Lexington, or Montgomery, only much larger, and with a better river and professional corrupt politicians. We do not suffer amateurs here.

In short: if you don't like living near a majority African-American population, a burgeoning Hispanic community, the remnants of Southern Nobility, or even good ol' po' white trash, y'all might want to look elsewhere. Let us know if we can help (Southern code for: encouragement in the form of baked goods, usually pecan pie or an artery-clogging casserole, made with love, of course.)

Find you that brand-new 'burb with the high house prices and mostly white school full of mostly people like you. Find you that funky neighborhood all dolled up to make you think it's unique when it isn't. Find you that crime-free gleaming city on a hill, and send us a postcard if you get the chance. We'd sure love to hear from you, but, like Yankees and revenooers, don't tarry. Be sweet and just visit. Don't stay. Really.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Apologies for the gremlins in my keyboard. Intended:

"But the main part of the city--from Downtown on the river, all the way through to the eastern county line, is solidly middle class, and many parts like much of East Memphis, Germantown, and Collierville, are wealthy, BY all comparisons with all cities everywhere. If you're well-travelled, educated, and professional, you'll find many--and varied--neighborhoods to love. BUT if you've only been to a dozen other states or less, have a high-school diploma or less, then you'll probably hate Memphis and its racial and cultural mix. BUT, everyone be warned: Memphis is distinctly Southern."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jimbo in Oakwood, Georgia

35 months ago

Memphis is a crap hole

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JoJO in Little Rock, Arkansas

33 months ago

I was born and raised in Little ROck and lived in Savannah,DFW, Nashville, ORlando, philadelphia and sadly Memphis twice in my life and both times I left because I Hated it! It was nasty in every way!!! Dallas was much better and had more to offer than Memphis and was way cleaner! Even Little Rock is cleaner and a better place to live than Memphis even in it's worst and most dangerous areas. Our only drawback is Pine Bluff which is nothing but a mini Memphis....NASTY!!! Theres nothing there and all businesses are dying because the city itself is dying. Very sad! If you must live in TN go to Nashville. Much nicer and great community. It has the southern charm you want in the south and of course Little ROck is also awesome!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

ainie

33 months ago

crime in all those areas. watch the news. in the city and outside. whites do crime too. you didnt know? where you been? thats why all them have police stations!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dgc in Memphis, Tennessee

33 months ago

I think that Cooper/Young is the best place to live in Memphis because it is so diverse and the location is great. I was born and raised in Memphis but lived NYC for 15 yrs and find that the midtown is somewhat compatible to the people and life I experienced living there. The location is great because you are so close to all of the Universities, Medical district, Airport, downtown, and not to mentions a variety of most everything. People actually ride their bikes, jog, walk their dogs, push their babies around in strollers and enjoy living here. It seems that the home owners and even renters take pride in keeping the neighborhood looking good and even have a local paper called the lampligher delivered to the doorstep once a month.
I guess most of all I really appreciate how easy it is to drive around this area even during rush hour traffic. If you go out East the traffic gets really bad especially on Gtown Pkwy and takes forever to drive to Cville. I guess it depends on what you are looking for? Harbor town is cool if you are in the Medical profession and the South Main area is good also but still think that Cooper Young is the best area!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lisak in Memphis, Tennessee

32 months ago

Wow another subtle racist rant- :)
I have lived in Orlando, -crime is crazy, Houston- crime is crazy, as many other cities trust me- crime is rampant, so if u dont know any better, tough, Memphis has crime, name a a city that doesnt- u cant....

But, the hatred and racism and pointing of fingers on all sides is so sad.....
but when it comes to posts, I can promise you it is usually the white trash in this city that feels pushed out or aside that comes to places like this to give rants like KKK recruits, or the poor blacks here that are rightfully so mistrusting of whites here who can hide so well their hatred of them, so the circle of stupidity continues forever.... no win.... But I have never been robbed, shot at, raped or jacked in the last 20 yrs I have lived here. Happy on East Holmes Rd

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JohnB in Memphis, Tennessee

31 months ago

Best neighborhood is largely dependent on what you want in a neighborhood. I'm going to break up the areas in separate posts to make it more readable.

Midtown:

Midtown is very diverse, consisting mostly of older homes. Great restaurants, shopping, entertainment, recreation. Midtown is a large area, and different neighborhoods within it vary greatly. Cooper Young is popular with creatives, young professionals, and young families. CY is unique for having a strong commercial core to the neighborhood. Most Midtown neighborhoods are primarily residential. Central Gardens, Chickasaw Gardens, and Overton Park are all great neighborhoods. is beautiful and safe. Overtone Park is a beautiful 300+ acres and includes the Zoo, the Brooks Art Museum, a public golf course, & the Overton Shell concert space. The Evergreen district and Annesdale Snowdwen are both very nice neighborhoods as well. They are closer to rough neighborhoods, but crime within them is rare and they are in turn more affordable. Like I said, there are some areas in and around Midtown that are not as nice. The closer you get to them, the worse crime can be. Generally that means avoid being too far west and close to Crosstown or Vance district, too far North into Binghampton, or too far east into Orange Mound.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Mud Island / Downtown:

Mud Island is nice, primarily inhabited by young families though there are also a number of young people and retirees as well. Mud Island has a nice Montessori school, and I think they go to Downtown Elementary as a public school, which is one of the best in the city. Not 100% on whether that is where they go though, obviously check for yourself. The proximity from Mud Island to downtown is nice, although it isn't close enough to walk, and there is plenty of green space. Uptown is a mixed-income area just north of Downtown that is a major redevelopment on the site of an old housing project. It is mixed income, and some people shy away from this. But there is a great sense of community there and crime is low. The Pinch district is a commercial district on the North end of downtown bordering Uptown and Mud Island. It is slated for some major redevelopment.

Downtown is my neighborhood and I love it. Most residents are either young professionals or post-kids older couples, though there are plenty of exceptions. Very safe, with lots of police patrols. Statistically it is the safest area in the city. The downtown scene is pretty vibrant, many good restaurants and bars. The Beale entertainment district is here. Although that mostly caters to tourists, it has some friendly local spots. There is plenty of public entertainment options, and you can walk to the Orpheum theater and the FedEx Forum for events. There is a significant difference between the South Main neighborhood and the Core downtown. The Core is mid and high rise buildings, South Main is a former warehouse/retail district that is much more residential in character than the Core. This is a strained analogy, but the Core is to Manhattan what South Main is to Brooklyn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

University / East Memphis

East Memphis is another diverse area. Most of the architecture is mid-century modern, post war style. There are some of the most expensive homes in the area here, but there are also affordable areas as well (like Sea Isle and High Point). East Memphis was the original post-war suburb of the area, and the feel of the area reflects that. There is lots of shopping, dining, and suburban office parks. The beautiful Main Library is in East Memphis as well, along with some nice parks and recreation. The University District anchors the west side of East Memphis and is a very nice, close-knit community. However, avoid being too far southwest of the University which is closer to Orange Mound. While it has its good points and is historic (the second oldest black neighborhood in the country after Harlem,) the area has fallen on hard times and there is a lot of crime here.

31 months ago

Suburbs

Germantown is directly East of East Memphis. If you keep going East, you'll find Collierville. They are considered the nicest suburbs in the area. Very typical modern suburbs, though they are both built on former small towns, so they each have "old town" sections. Collierville retains a small town feel to it even though it has been completely suburbanized. Arlington is similar to Collierville, but much more country/small town and considerably further out. Ditto for Lakeland. Millington is more of a small town than a suburb in my eyes, the influence of the base there is dominant.

Cordova used to be an up and coming suburb, but it was annexed by Memphis, so many upper income people left to avoid City taxes and schools. It is generally a more affordable version of Collierville or Germantown, and because of this the population is typically younger and more racially diverse. Bartlett is an older (60's through 80's), working class suburbs. They are similar in some ways to an older version of Cordova. They are diverse, and generally safe neighborhoods, although they are far from the pristine upper income suburbs of Germantown or Collierville. Bartlett does have the distinction of probably the best Italian restaurant in town, Lavoro's.

That pretty much covers the most desirable areas of the city. North Memphis and South Memphis are both large areas, and neighborhoods range from dirt poor to working class and some solidly middle class neighborhoods. Some areas there are nice, but in general none would be considered "the best". Better neighborhoods include Ridgeway, areas of Whitehaven, Hickory Hill, Nutbush and Raleigh. I'd feel comfortable living in any of these neighborhoods, but I wouldn't pick them as my ideal. South Memphis is almost entirely black, North Memphis is more diverse.

31 months ago

On Memphis in general (1/2)

I've lived in smaller cities and larger cities, throughout the Midwest and Northeast: Omaha, Chicago, Tampa, and Boston. I like Memphis better than any of these.

Culture:
They call this region the Mid-South. It has many characteristics of the Midwest, particularly the Rust Belt, along with characteristics of the South. While old aristocratic South vestiges remain, this is a blue collar town (although there is certainly not a lack of culture).

Memphians are typically warm and friendly. It may be the poorest big city, but it was also the extremely giving - Memphians gave almost twice the amount of money to charity than the national average. It is a city of Churches, and most people here are spiritual. I wouldn't call it conservative though, as the creative spirit of the city tends to counterbalance the religious side. I'm not religious, but I've never felt unwelcome because of it.

The place oozes history and culture. The music scene is excellent, music seems to be part of the soul of the city. The city is crazy for basketball, so if you like college or NBA hoops, you'll fit in. It is also a place that loves food. There are both great low-brow dining (BBQ joints, etc) along with traditional white linen French and Creole places, high-end steakhouses, as well as innovative new chefs doing completely new things. The city has a large amount of cultural and recreational amenities, particularly compared to other cities of its size (Memphis is #10 in the nation in amount of park land per person). And, it has a very low cost of living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Memphis in General (2/2)

The problems here are widely reported and very real. Crime and poor inner city schools are bad, but this is true in every big city. Reportedly crime rates here are blown out of proportion by FBI stats because of the MPDs reporting methods (they report every crime regardless of value, and they report every charge as an individual incident,) so it is hard to say how crime here compares to similar cities. Memphis also has a high rate of poverty. That said, I've never felt unsafe here, and there are many good public and private schools. Use common sense, and you are unlikely to be a victim of crime.

Race is an issue, but it is getting better. The area is fairly evenly split between black/white. The generation that went to the first integrated schools and saw Martin Luther King shot in their city is still alive. Those memories are hard to forget. At the same time, this is the city where black and white met. Where blues and country came together to form rock and roll at Sun. Where a mixed race house band laid the foundation for Soul music at Stax. People are held back by stereotypes bred by segregation which bred distrust. But these walls break down pretty quick whenever there is actual interaction between races, which is hard to avoid when it is almost a 50/50 split.

Despite its problems, Memphis is a charming town where it is relatively easy to achieve a high quality of life. It has most of the amenities of a bigger city, but is still small enough that you feel like part of a community. Hope some of this helps people who are thinking about or planning to relocate. It certainly isn't perfect, but it has been perfect for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kraka in Lehigh Acres, Florida

31 months ago

huh ? okay, you said dyou lived in Tampa area, and prefer MEMPHIS ?? okay, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, not their own set of facts

I also live/lived in memphis/Germantown for well over 15 years....look, the place sucks by comparison

bad education/schools
bad politics, racist politics, BAD food (what the hell are you talking about with "great restaurants" in Memphis ?? what ?? compared to what city ? Jackson MS ??? Tampa DOES have superb restos in the bay area ! Memphis sucks by comparison

the airport sucks, fares are stupid high by comparison

shopping sucks by comparison

leadership is awful and parochial

charming ??????????????? are you nuts ?? Savannah is charming, so is Charleston

NOPE, I've lived ALL OVER the South and the nation, there are much much much better places to live ..."perfect for you " ...fine...you must have been BORN is this goddam awful city of Memphis TN because NO BODY coming from any other city like Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Tampa, San Diego, charlotte, Raleigh or even a small great city like Huntsville, would AGREE with that nonsense

Memphis ia an overgrown, highly racist, undereducated river town that is getting its azz kicked by a plethora of other cities....

check out the Wall Street Journals article on the best cities 12/01 which talked about how Austin, TX ia a "brain hub".

Memphis absolutely SUCKS by comparison !!! and I have to LAUGH if you make a comparison to Tampa Bay as being less desirable than Memphis...only a hillbilly would say something like that, or some idiot who grew up in northern Mississippi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

meeso in Lehigh Acres, Florida

31 months ago

John B, you must work on line for the Chamber of Commerce because all the tortured explanations of WHY memphis is SO FAR BEHIND THE REST OF THE NATION, won't deflect the realities on the ground...

again, my opinion is based solely on my own 15 year experience as an executive in the business community in Memphis

Nope, I would not advise ANYONE to move there if given a real viable choice !! no way..and I certainly would NOT advise anyone to spend their entire career there, or send their children to schools in the cesspool of thought ! why bother ???

go to Charlotte
Atlanta
Raleigh !
Charleston
any place in Maryland
coastal SC or NC
Tampa Bay
Madison WS
Austin
San Antonio
Palm Coast FL
Huntsville AL
NASHVILLE
KNOXVILLE
Portland

hell....the list is volumious...for cities much better offf than Memphis, TN

geezus, in some respects, Little Rock AR is a better option

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John Gary in Memphis, Tennessee

31 months ago

I stumbled across this site and what allot of bad things to say about Memphis. I'm glad those who don't like it, moved. A few things that if you like, you would like Memphis. If you like live, "real" music, you can ride down to Beale st. on a Sunday afternoon and hear real musicans doing songs originally that people like Eric Clapton, Led Zepplin and true rock and roll band/singer has covered. Rock and Roll is a shoot off of the blues. Memphis has a soul and if you don't see or feel that, you do need to move. No other city has their been more songs written about. Of course, Elivs said there was nothing he didn't miss about Memphis. And a Woody Harelson said, "if it's good enough for the King, it's good enough for me. I can pick any city from above that people said were great places to live, and give you reasons why they aren't. Nothing to do. Miseraby hot, High crime rate, etc.. Memphis has it's problems like all major cities. But if you don't like people, or "real" things to enjoy like original music or food that other cities copy, then you may need to live somewhere else..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Melanie in Memphis, Tennessee

31 months ago

Audrey in Paris, France said: What do you think about the following areas :
- the Chickasaw Gardens area
- High Point
- Mud Island
- Downtown

I'm a young french profesional and I'm looking for an appartment ---) safe and dynamic area, near from downtown.

Thank you !

I don't think Memphis has many furnished apartments these days, but all of the areas you quoted are excellent. Chickasaw Gardens is mostly upscale houses and I do not know of any apartments there. Your best shot at getting a furnished apartment would be downtown (quite expensive but low crime) or midtown (less expensive, very cultural, higher crime). Cooper Young, which is midtown, is one of the most artsy, eclectic areas in Memphis and can be fairly expensive. Germantown lacks a lot of the culture and diversity of the other places you mentioned and is quite a haul from the city, but is extremely safe. Good luck on your move!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

I would say without a doubt, Mud Island... Especially since your not from Mempis. I think Mud Island has the best of Memphis to offer. Furniture is not expensive or can be rented. I"d also get a bicycle and when you get here you'll see why. It's on the MIssissppi and has a tremedous view. You can see downtown which is just across the bridge, the trolly can take you anywhere downtown or to the medical center. Good luck and my name is on the site so and feel free to call me on the phone. I'm the John Gary with a W., John W. Gary. Good luck..

Click here.
www.huge-satellite-discounts.com

Sincerely,

John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sunny Isles in Alva, Florida

31 months ago

Memphis ?? you've GOT to be kidding me. Even Fred Smith the founder and CEO of FedEX was quoted stating "MEMPHIS IS NOT COMEPTITIVE" !

Some of the senior execs of Internatinal Paper on Poplar, REFUSED to ERPMANTENTLY move their own families from CT and surrounding burbs, to Memphis, TN ! Bet you didn't know that one !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Who didn't know that ? But did you know IP put the city on notice about the schools and such and things happened. I wonder why International Paper put it's headquarters here instead of where you live ? I wonder why Fred Smith continues to have Memphis as it's headquarters and main hub ? Wouldn't it be smarter to have it more centrally located in the center of the country ? Maybe St. Louis.. I wonder why ? I wonder why Fred Smith still lives here, paid $250,000 for the naming rights for the Grizzlies new home, THE FEDEX FORUM ! ! ! Let's talk about where you live and we'll see..

31 months ago

Oops, $250,000,000, that million on the Fedex Forum. But then you live in Hurricne Alley ??? How many times during hurricaine season do you have to pack up and move from your home ??? No Hurricaines here..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kela J. in Nashville, Tennessee

30 months ago

I live in Nashville (entire life) , but I believe Memphis is such a great city! The culture in the city is awesome! Whoever hates Memphis is a LOSER who just wants something to hate....spread LOVE not hate!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Surferjohn in Memphis, Tennessee

30 months ago

Whoever thinks there is no diversity in Memphis, probably lives in the Burbs. I live near the Univeristy of Memphis area and just on my street I find about 40% caucasion, 40% African American and 20%, Latino or Mexican and Vietnameese. So it's pretty much like a salad as they say. All over Memphis, it is well known for having an almost totaly "white" street, but the street just behind it is about 50/50. Cooper-Young area is classic Mid'town, THE place to live. Nice restaurants, nice friendly people, walk to dinner, then 2 blocks away S. Parkway where there are $300,000 and up homes that are mostly African American. The homes in Cooper Young are 1920's and most have been renovated. If you move to the burbs, that has to be what your used to. Mid-town, downtown is the REAL Memphis and has a soul, good food, best Bar-B-Que on earth, all kinds of resturants, art gallery's, Overton Park, ( google it ), the Brooks museum, the Pink Palace, Lictherman (sp) Nature Center, golf courses no more than 2 miles away.I have 3 no less than 2 miles away. Not allot of gang activities there, ha ha. Great private schools. I would count on them but not the public shcools. I would say, take the family and stay at the Hilton out east, go downtown, ride the trolly, take in an NBA game at the FedEx Forum, go to Beale St., go to the St. Jude Pavillion and see why Danny Thomas chose Memphis, Gotta go to Graceland once, and think, you'd be liveing here. Sun studios, increadible medical center. The Elvis Presley Trauma Center, a level one... I've lived here for over 30 yrs. and may get a retiremtne cabin on Pickwick or Sardis lake, but wouldn't move. Nice homes are very reasonalbe, and it's January 7th and will be 60 today.. Good luck..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

I'd like to add, do you know where Steve Jobs had his liver transplant ? Methodist University Hospital in Mid-town Memphis. Mr. Jobs Dr. in CA, had him on the liver transplant list on a hospital in CA and Methodist. Mr. Jobs could of gone anywhere but his Dr. knew the BEST places to go but he had it done here. My x-wife has hepatitis and her Dr. treated President Reagan and Bush. And that's just a drop in the bucket.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

geezus chrise in Bradenton, Florida

30 months ago

man, some of you are really begging the issue about Memphis' alleged stature
You don't judge the performance and desirability of any city talking about it has "great private schools" for example...how stupid indeed. Do you know WHAT was the impetus for all of the "development" of "private schools" in Memphis in the FRIST PLACE ?? Well, let me share with you this : Memphis did not want to COMPLY with a Federal Desegregation Order ! and white parents 'boycotted' the public schools that were under this far-reaching order !! The white racist churches were behind the enormous rapid development of numerous "church schools" which at that time were not obliged to fully comply !!
That's the truth about Memphis ! sneaky racism.
BBQ ? who the hell cares about that really in the scheme of being a culinary destination ?? Memphis is NOT known for great diversity in food or upscale food....you think it's anything like say, Miami ? Tampa ? Naples ?? if you do, you're nuts. Memphis doesn't come close to Atlanta, or Dallas or New Orleans in great variety of inspired cuisine ! Where are you getting this rubbish from pal ??Beale Street ?? that's a piece of crap, shortazz street populated at night with tourists and thugs....and lots of POLICE
You think METHODIST HOSPITAL is anywhere close to Mayo ? Cleveland Clinic ?? or for that matter on par with UAB Medical Center in freekin lousyazz Birmingham even ? Yes, the Med is a level one trauma regional very fine facility
My last information was that Jobs' transplant was NOT successful, and he subsequently DIED........Score ZERO for Memphis' hospital in this regard
Are you aware that FEDEX is looking to MOVE ?? bet you didn't hear anything about that did you.....the execs have been looking at a variety of cities now for several years...including cities like Indianapolis....really
Nobody has to "hate Memphis" to fully recognize its apparent short-comingand you certainly aren't "obligated" to "love" anyfreekn city!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

geezus chrise in Bradenton, Florida

30 months ago

man, some of you are really begging the issue about Memphis' alleged stature
You don't judge the performance and desirability of any city talking about it has "great private schools" for example...how stupid indeed. Do you know WHAT was the impetus for all of the "development" of "private schools" in Memphis in the FIRST PLACE ?? Well, let me share with you this : Memphis did not want to COMPLY with a Federal Desegregation Order ! and white parents 'boycotted' the public schools that were under this far-reaching order !! The white racist churches were behind the enormous rapid development of numerous "church schools" which at that time were not obliged to fully comply !!
That's the truth about Memphis ! sneaky racism.
BBQ ? who the hell cares about that really in the scheme of being a culinary destination ?? Memphis is NOT known for great diversity in food or upscale food....you think it's anything like say, Miami ? Tampa ? Naples ?? if you do, you're nuts. Memphis doesn't come close to Atlanta, or Dallas or New Orleans in great variety of inspired cuisine ! Where are you getting this rubbish from pal ??Beale Street ?? that's a piece of crap, shortazz street populated at night with tourists and thugs....and lots of POLICE
You think METHODIST HOSPITAL is anywhere close to Mayo ? Cleveland Clinic ?? or for that matter on par with UAB Medical Center in freekin lousyazz Birmingham even ? Yes, the Med is a level one trauma regional very fine facility
My last information was that Jobs' transplant was NOT successful, and he subsequently DIED........Score ZERO for Memphis' hospital in this regard
Are you aware that FEDEX is looking to MOVE ?? bet you didn't hear anything about that did you.....the execs have been looking at a variety of cities now for several years...including cities like Indianapolis....really
Nobody has to "hate Memphis" to fully recognize its apparent short-comingand you certainly aren't "obligated" to "love" anyfreekn city!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

I think your reflections about racism and the school systems, is talking more about all the private schools that popped up in the 60's in the Miss. Delta. Not private schools that were here long before that. Some affluent Memphian's just wanted their kids to have a better education than a public school systme offer. I'd dare say most people in the North East, Conn. NY, or even LA, pride themselves on the private schools they went to or the private colleges. No place is perfect and certainly something wrong with everywhere. New Orleans ? Ever watch the weather pal ? One more and it's over with. Florida, been there done that. Your scared severl times a year that a hurricane will hit somebody else and not you, but for safety sake, you pack up what you can and run like a rat, what a way to live. Nice places to visit, but don't care to board up my home several times a year and RUN in fear... Good Luck whoever is looking..

30 months ago

I forgot... Jobs transplant was successful. He was told it would only buy him time, his was shorter. He was very sick and it was not a failure. Wonder why his Dr. in Ca got him on this list here, and not in Bradelton, Tampa, Orlando, Miami, or anywhere else ? Write his Dr..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

crazzee in Bradenton, Florida

30 months ago

fella, you haven't a clue.....how anyone can compare Memphis TN to any place near the Tampa Bay-south to Naples including sarasota is crazy - everyone knows that SW FL is really never been the true focus of hurricanes at all....

plus, you want to talk about bad weather ?? how about all the storms and tornadoes in freekin W TN all the way to Nashville ? lol...Everyone knows that there is no perfect place to live, but MEMPHIS is near the BOTTOM pal, and waay too close to the lousiest state in the US - Mississippi ! hell, people in Nashville don't even like Memphis !! they call it the largest city in the State if Mississippi ! yeah, that's a compliment, right ? And you are DEAD WRONG ABOUT THE TRUTH OF WHY PRIVATE SCHOOLS PROLIFERATED IN MEMPHIS !!!!!!!! DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH or a simple Google !! good grief ! it had nothing to DO with "affluent Memphians" that is a SCREWBALL, BARE=FACED LIE, pal and you know it...Stop with the tortured "sales pitch" for this crappy city..it's "Detroit SOUTH" ! is it the "worst" ..no...try Jackson MS or Montgomery AL maybe..lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

The last thing I ever wanted to do was argue with someone who's named Crazee in Bradenton. Are there are no hurricaines in SW Florida. I just had a relative move there 90 yr. old mother from that area because of a hurricane. The stress of going to a gym, with all your belongings, sleeping on a cot, TORNADOES. We have storms here like eveewhere, just no hurricaines. All I have to say if someone is thinking of moving here, get a nice hotel room, stay the weekend, and drive the area's. Stop people working out in their yard or maybe go to a church and ask them. I would do that no matter what I'm doing. And ask the quetions your asking here. Some people on here have nothing to do it seems but complain about places they don't even live so I'm turning my email new comments off. Good luck to whoever is thinking of living here. Asd as Elvis once said, "There's nothing I don't miss about Memphis." If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

unbelieveable in Bradenton, Florida

30 months ago

what a moron...an IP address does not speak to 'residency'..nope, I lived all over and yes I own a place in Gtown, and I would not consider living there 'full time' again ! why ? easy..too many better places to live in this great nation and I would disuade most people from moving the that hole called Memphis

And, ELVIS is not a good barometer of tastesful ANYTHING my friend...he was just another Mississippi redneck from Tupelo, who moved to memphis like lots of the other primitive residents who like to think that Memphis is a leading edge city

It's a piece of CRAP by true,, thoughtful comparison give me a freekin break !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

unbelieveable in Bradenton, Florida

30 months ago

what a moron...an IP address does not speak to 'residency'..nope, I lived all over and yes I own a place in Gtown, and I would not consider living there 'full time' again ! why ? easy..too many better places to live in this great nation and I would disuade most people from moving the that hole called Memphis

And, ELVIS is not a good barometer of tastesful ANYTHING my friend...he was just another Mississippi redneck from Tupelo, who moved to memphis like lots of the other primitive residents who like to think that Memphis is a leading edge city

It's a piece of CRAP by true,, thoughtful comparison give me a freekin break !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Possibly Relocating back to Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee

29 months ago

I potentially could be relocating to Memphis with my employer. I lived there for a year and a half back in a fe years ago. I had bought a home in Byhalia MS. I am potentially going to be relocating back there with my employer but cannot remember allot about the town. I want to be part of a community where there is little criminal acts, diversity, good schools, and where my children do not have to wear those darn uniforms because I do not believe in them. If my children have to wear uniforms it should only be because they are going to a private school...thats it. I have read so much on here and believe I am looking for Collierville Germantown Bartless Arlington Lakeland or Olive Branch MS. Please help. I will be making good money so I am not worried about the town itself because I enjoyed living there and get along with everyone. I am more concerned with the safe neighborhoods and good schools and no UNIFORMS for my kids to have to wear. I truly am not looking for an argument just have been away for a few years and only lived there for a short amount of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Possibly Relocating back to Memphis in Memphis, Tennessee said: I potentially could be relocating to Memphis with my employer. I lived there for a year and a half back in a fe years ago. I had bought a home in Byhalia MS. I am potentially going to be relocating back there with my employer but cannot remember allot about the town. I want to be part of a community where there is little criminal acts, diversity, good schools, and where my children do not have to wear those darn uniforms because I do not believe in them. If my children have to wear uniforms it should only be because they are going to a private school...thats it. I have read so much on here and believe I am looking for Collierville Germantown Bartlett Arlington Lakeland or Olive Branch MS. Please help. I will be making good money so I am not worried about the town itself because I enjoyed living there and get along with everyone. I am more concerned with the safe neighborhoods and good schools and no UNIFORMS for my kids to have to wear. I truly am not looking for an argument just have been away for a few years and only lived there for a short amount of time.

Bartlett I think would be a good fit - however - what are the schools?

ihatememphis in Memphis, Tennessee

29 months ago

Let me give you the low down on Memphis. I have lived and/or worked in every part. Cordova is cheaper, dirty, and going downhill fast. Some parts of bartlett that are not touching raleigh are ok, they are older more established neighborhoods. Midtown is where you go if your in your 20's love weed and hate war. The thing about midtown is that you have one nice neighborhood with houses starting in the 300's and the rest is "artsy" and rundown. Then you have harbor town. I watched these being built and have worked in many, they will fall the second you move in. They are pretty and by the river, but way way way over priced and after all the money you will have to put into them to fix them, you will be upside down if you go to sell. Raleigh, frayser, north memphis stay the heck out of!!!!!!!!! Downtown is a hit or miss it's mostly condo's and apartments, with all the fun nightlife within walking distance. My husband is a cop downt0own and there are ALOT of car breakins. I would suggest this for a younger single person. Then there is Germantown and Collierville, both beautiful and the quality of live is great, great schools great community feel, only most of the houses start in the 300's. There are parts of shelby county that are unincorporated, stay out of these areas if you can, the low low taxes will be appealing, but rest assure one day memphis will annex it and your taxes will triple! Arlington and lakeland are by far the best area for families. The schools are top notch, the community feel is amazing. its 15 minutes from all the shopping and didning, and about 30 minutes from the zoo and downtown, but its a close knit community. The day you move in you will feel the warmth and homey feel of arlington. The best part is, houses start in the 150's and have lower taxes and can never be annexed by memphis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

muddytown in Clermont, Florida

29 months ago

if you have a choice of a transfer to any other city, then do it, and stay the hell out of Memphis again..really

it's not worth it, but if you HAVE to move, I understand .. I agree that Arlington is about the only other place I would live..that and Collierville

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Thank you both. I was thinking about Arlington and it sounds like that and Lakeland are the places to go. I appreciate the assistance. I know allot can change in 5 1/2 years so I needed the advice before the contemplation time frame. Thanks for everything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

momo in Memphis, Tennessee

29 months ago

well i think it is just as great as maraland

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

k in Greensboro, North Carolina

29 months ago

sosweet in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania said: I'm considering relocating from Harrisburg, PA to the Memphis area and I was wondering what are the public schools like? I have a 10year old daughter and my 70year old grandmother that will be moving also. Just wanted to know the best areas to consider. We live in the center of the "hood" where we are now (I have my firearm license and carry always). We don't want to move to a country setting but we don't want to be in the center of the hood either..can anyone offer any suggestions

I noticed you were moving to MEM from Harrisburg, PA. I might get relocated to either Memphis or Harrisburg. Where exactly in Harrisburg did you live and where would you recommend? I know this post is a little off subject , but…

sosweet in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

29 months ago

I live in a section of Harrisburg known as Allison Hill. I'm on the North side of State Street now, which is a decent area to live. I will warn you that Harrisburg is going down in the dumps. We have an incompentent, insufficient, ignorant (uneducated) mayor, a police force that guard her on a daily basis and follow her every command, and robberies that are now occurring 2-3 times an evening. If you have to move here, I'd suggest Penbrook, (possibly) Steelton, Central Dauphin, or Susquehanna. These areas do not have as many of the issues I spoke about above. There are good aspects of the city, however I feel the bad outweigh the good and wouldn't suggest Harrisburg. I love my city, I just don't want to live here anymore! Check out pennlive.com and you'll get a brief understanding of Harriburg...if you want to be mind blown, google harrisburg + robbery...and you'll see! Hope this was semi helpful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.