What are the best neigborhoods in Memphis?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 202)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

k in Greensboro, North Carolina

26 months ago

sosweet in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania said: I'm considering relocating from Harrisburg, PA to the Memphis area and I was wondering what are the public schools like? I have a 10year old daughter and my 70year old grandmother that will be moving also. Just wanted to know the best areas to consider. We live in the center of the "hood" where we are now (I have my firearm license and carry always). We don't want to move to a country setting but we don't want to be in the center of the hood either..can anyone offer any suggestions

I noticed you were moving to MEM from Harrisburg, PA. I might get relocated to either Memphis or Harrisburg. Where exactly in Harrisburg did you live and where would you recommend? I know this post is a little off subject , but…

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sosweet in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

26 months ago

I live in a section of Harrisburg known as Allison Hill. I'm on the North side of State Street now, which is a decent area to live. I will warn you that Harrisburg is going down in the dumps. We have an incompentent, insufficient, ignorant (uneducated) mayor, a police force that guard her on a daily basis and follow her every command, and robberies that are now occurring 2-3 times an evening. If you have to move here, I'd suggest Penbrook, (possibly) Steelton, Central Dauphin, or Susquehanna. These areas do not have as many of the issues I spoke about above. There are good aspects of the city, however I feel the bad outweigh the good and wouldn't suggest Harrisburg. I love my city, I just don't want to live here anymore! Check out pennlive.com and you'll get a brief understanding of Harriburg...if you want to be mind blown, google harrisburg + robbery...and you'll see! Hope this was semi helpful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ihatememphis in Arlington, Tennessee

26 months ago

If you must move here move to either arlington germantown or collierville. there are no real country setting. Collierville and germantown are pricey but arlington is perfect. Whatever you do do not put your children in Memphis City schools they are the worst in the country, your child will be in a gang before there in high school. The problem withs schools here is the city schools are trying to take over the county schools and the countys chools are getting their own municiple school districts because the county schools are still great. if it says memphis city anything don't go near it. We are leaving this horrible city ASAP! Just BEWARE!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kpgood in Carlsbad, California

26 months ago

Sunny Isles in Alva, Florida said: Memphis ?? you've GOT to be kidding me. Even Fred Smith the founder and CEO of FedEX was quoted stating "MEMPHIS IS NOT COMEPTITIVE" !

Some of the senior execs of Internatinal Paper on Poplar, REFUSED to ERPMANTENTLY move their own families from CT and surrounding burbs, to Memphis, TN ! Bet you didn't know that one !!

OK, so my husband is retiring from the military. One of his potential job options is flying for FedEx. Works out best for family time if you live where you fly out of -- Memphis, that is. The other options remain here in San Diego -- business, govt. contractors, etc. I am tired of having a 2800 sq. ft. house with something slightly larger than a patio for a backyard for almost $600,000 (closer to $800,000 two years ago) and barely 8 feet between my house and my neighbors house. But, I am getting the impression that having a big house in the nice suburbs of Memphis on 2 acres of land might not be worth everything I'd give up in San Diego? We also have an 11 year old son who is in a fantastic school district for middle and high school. I guess I wouldn't find the same there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Memphis to Sarasota, well, er... in Sarasota, Florida

26 months ago

the above comment about blacks encapsulates exactly Memphis will never be the city it actually thinks it is ! hatredd...white racism, black racism, just plain s tupid PEOPLE ! the malaise exists on both sides no doubt---the city is bifurcated, no doubt------but the sneaky white racistsssss are the absolute worst I've ever been around in my entire life ! they enjoy blaming blacks, blacks enjoy pointing their fingers at WHITES---it's NUTTY

btw, my family and I have lived in La Jolla - yes, it's expensive for sure, but there is ALWAYS a reason why a city like Memphis is CHEAP---!! there is ALWAYS a 'give-up' and a 'cost'---the cost is that your children will turn into stupidddd acting redneckkkks, and hatersss---lots of cities have large numbers of blacks, e.g. Atlanta, Miami etc--- look, Memphis just ssuckkkks in my opinion and experience having lived there in GTown- in fact I have a house leased to a FEDEX pilot who also bought one of my Porsches---he's sinlge and doesn't give a crap and flies out or stays gone whenever he can--he's not in love with Memphis, but he's making fairly big money

If I didn't live here in relative 'paradise' I would live again in LaJolla for sure - high expenses and all - and I would NEVER move back to Memphis

BTW the food there in restos SUCKKK by comparison !!!! these people wouldn't know good, inspired cuisine if you put a gun to their heads !!!...they even think places like "Flight" or "River Oaks" are great food !! they suckkkk too ! if you don't know any better, you don't know any better !!! but DON'T spend you valuable time for long in that STUPIDDD redneckyyy town

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

kpgood in Carlsbad, California

26 months ago

Thank you everyone for your comments!!! Wow! I feel so grateful now to live here. There is a huge mix of Asians, Hispanics and Whites here (not many blacks) and I've NEVER found it to be an issue that stands out. In fact when I hear comments like "racism still exists" I think in my head "BS!!" or that it's people whining just to get more sympathy for their race. But wow, you have really opened my eyes. I would never want to move to a place like that. Luckily, flying is not really what my husband wants to do, it's just that the money is lucrative. He definitely prefers business and has gotten his MBA and Project Manager certificate. He is a leader, and would definitely be bored flying as a job. So, luckily it was only one possibility among many! Yesterday I had a car accident as well, and at least 20 people came up to me and hugged me, offered help and assistance. It made me realize how wondeful and friendly San Diego it (not LA so much though, it's like a different country here). I think we'll stay put. Thanks everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sprint48 in Memphis, Tennessee

26 months ago

SuJun in Laramie, Wyoming said: It looks like my husband and I will be relocating to Memphis. Probably this summer. Where are the best places to live in and around Memphis? The folks my husband was interviewed by said everything from mid-town to Germantown/Collierville to Lakeland. What are these places like: shopping, culture, crime, etc.? Also what is the Bartlett and Lakeland area like?

There are no best places to live in Memphis. Don't get things confused about downtown. There's crime there too. The crime is just not reported as much in other areas of the city. Don't want to stop the tourist from coming to Memphis. The surrounding areas of Bartlett, Germantown and Collierville are not quite as bad as Memphis, but crime is there as well. People will tell you that Germantown and Collierville are the best places to live because they are further from Memphis but it's not. Their crime is just like downtown, not readily reported in order to make people believe they are in "Eden" because they are in those areas of town. The news media does not make things any better by reporting crime as being in the Memphis area, but in reality it is in some part of Germantown, Bartlett, or Collierville. Your bet would be to commute back and forth to your job. It might cost more but it would probably be work the hassle. Good luck at finding a the best place to live in this area

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Surferjohn in Memphis, Tennessee

26 months ago

Bartlett is a nice middle class town. The big push these days are the consolidation of the schools and the county as a whole. Like allot of big cities that take up a whole county, some want to do that here but there are a number of small towns such as Bartlett that can't and don't want to be annexed because they're a city of their own. And like most cities since the 50's, their is the surburb rush and Memphis is no different. Mid-town is great, lots of large older homes that are very reasonable, but like most large cities, the crime rate goes up. Having lived in Chicago, Houston and travled to many major cities, it seems like the crime here is mostly mis-guided kids. You won't find much in the way of adults robbing and killing other adults. If someone gets robbed, it's all over the news. Some saw Memphis is just a large small town and I tend to agree. No one lives on Beale st., so it's ok to go down and enjoy the history, food ect. My favorite is Sunday afternoon. Street musicans playing the blues. Memphis has a musical soul, ie: Sun studios, Stax records. Everyone goes to Graceland and it's like going to New York and seeing the Empire State building, you sort of need to do it. But it shows how a good looking kid can make it big and never forget his roots. Most people in the music business put Elvis on a higher plateau than those that live here and are used to him.
As far as good schools, shopping, Bartlett is great so is Arlington or Lakeland. Allot of people like Colliervills but it's growing. Germantown is the Bevery Hills of Memphis... But good luck in your search and we'll be glad to have you here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Memphian in Sarasota, Florida

25 months ago

the above comment s are laughable, as well as poorly written and expressed, which is part in parcel the whole problem with living in Memphis TN as a whole

Memphis is by far the dumbest city I've ever resided in..hands down

Graceland is a dump--a tourist trap -- a bad one at that---Beale Street is a dump---

Schools ? 90% of them all succkk ---notwithstanding a few private schools like MUS, ECS, etc

Shopping is INFERIOR to say the least

Grocery stores SUCCKK bigtime ! want a decent supermarket ?? try a Trader Joes's or a Publix (neither of which are IN Memphis, TN..duh)

Airfares are stupid ! compare them to in/out of nashville or Little Rock

Drivers are BRAIN DEAD Insurance rates very high !

Musicians ?? yeah, but many cities have better ! Nashville (duh), Chicago, New Orleans-lol, Atlanta, and for gods sake, AUSTIN TX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

And we are glad some moved.

Tumpredwine in Memphis, Tennessee

25 months ago

I want to be the first to assist those Memphians who hate Memphis but are still here. For those of us who are happy here, how may we assist in getting you somewhere that YOU will be happy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tumpredwine in Memphis, Tennessee

25 months ago

Well?

ms.cath in Memphis, Tennessee

25 months ago

I grew up in Memphis, left, came back, left, and returned two years ago. I have lived in Colorado, NYC, Knoxville, and South Florida. I turned down a fairly lucrative job offer in South Florida to move back here without a job. I live downtown in Harbor Town. I'm currently renting but looking to buy this year. I love Memphis! It's beautiful, quirky, artistic, soulful, and just plain awesome. You could not pay me to return to South Florida and deal with overpriced housing, rude people, and the worst commute I have ever had.

Memphis has amazing restaurants that range from a soul burger at a bar that was once a brothel to farm to table restaurants to high end dining by James Beard award winning chefs. Cochon 555 was held here this year, and was a huge success. We have an amazing art scene, great local music, and lots to do for families. Family wise there is My Big Backyard at the Botanic Gardens, both Dixon and Brooks host family day events, our zoo is one of the best in the world,The Pink Palace Museum, The Children's Museum, Rock n' Romp, and for free you can walk your kids down a scale model of the MS River until you hit an "island" in the middle of the actual MS.

We are home to numerous corporations; FedEx, Autozone, International Paper, and Medtronic are a few. We are also home to 3 of the top 50 nonprofits to work for.

There is crime here, but the majority occurs in neighborhoods that the average Memphian never encounters. Sadly, we do suffer high poverty, which negatively affects our education system, crime, infant mortality, and substance abuse rates.

I might be tempted to move somewhere with mountains again, but for day to day enjoyment of life, I am perfectly happy and grateful to be here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Said very well. You might of mentioned Memphisin May, the Beale St. Music Fest, Gus's Fried chicken, the incredible medical center. It's too bad you really have to live here to be albe to appreciate it. There are many "out of the way" restaurants and such that are not found anywhere else. The Grizzlies and U of M Basketball. A stroll down Beale St. on a Sunday afternoon. Sipping on a beer while listening to some street musicans or bands playing in the park, and for free. Not to mention who you may bump into as I have. There is only one city that holds the claim of "no other city has been written about more than Memphis." To live here, you know why...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

YEA,.. If you lived in Germantown, it seems like your comments are more appropriate for where YOU lived, not Memphis. YOUR racial feelings didn't push you and your husband to live there instead of Memphis did it. Some of your comments DO apply to Germantown. How many black neighbors did you have or did you purposfully not move into area's where their were blacks ?
Orlando is pretty if you can deal with the HURRICAINES several times a year. Been there done that. Packing up most of your worldly belongings several times a year is no way to live and leaving your most valuable "positively appreciating asset" to be blown away. Nice place to visit but I'll stay here...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

debby in Sarasota, Florida

25 months ago

What an idiotic thing to say ! if you actually LIVED in Orlando (which is NOT where we live) you would KNOW that HURRICANES don't hit ORLANDO

How moronic, and how typically "Memphis thinking"

ORLANDO is not a coastal city fella ! lol unbelievable !! Orlando doesn't get hit by "hurricanes" !!!!!!!!!!

Your Memphis ignorance is showing ! how demonstrably STUPID

Seoond, one of the MOSt dangerous weather events in the south, including parts of Tennessee valley are TORNADOES friend which have proven to be far more deadly and unpredicatble that hurricanes !! just read about what has happened over the past few weeks and the past few years, from TX to OK, to TN to AL to KY to IN

are you nutty ??

WE get actual WARNINGS of hurricanes, TORNADOES are TOTALLY UNPREDICTABLE

YOU don't have a clue what you're talking about fella, and you deserve to STAY right there in Memphis, with the other "undereducated" folks in Memphis, Germantown, Collierville or Desoto County MISSISSIPPI.

How ignorant

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

SELFMADEMAN in Memphis, Tennessee

25 months ago

sil in Dallas, Texas said: My husband and I are moving to memphis within two months due to work. we have three children and i would like to know which area is the best to raise children and especially where are the best schools. we are living now in Mckinney texas, north of dallas, and this is a amazing city. could anybody tell me wich cities are the best to live in that area?
thanks

ANYWHERE IN DESOTO COUNTY (HORNLAKE,HERNANDO,OLIVE BRANCH,SOUTHAVEN)YOU GET THE CHEAP LOW TAX RELAX MISSISSIPPI COST OF LIVING BUT YOU STILL HAVE ACCESS TO THE DOWN TOWN MEMPHIS CITY FOR WEEKENDS AND CRIME IS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND HECK ITS SO PEACEFUL I HAVE TO GO TO MEMPHIS FROM TIME TO TIME JUST TO SEE SOME EXCITMENT OH AND YES DESOTO COUNTY HAS A GREAT SCHOOL SYSTEM ASWELL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

debby in Sarasota, Florida

25 months ago

nothing says progressivism and enlightenment as having a MISSISSIPPI automobile license plate on your car for sure !

Olive Branch, Southhaven etc is STILL in the WORST RATED STATE in these United States -

yeah sure fella, have your kids get an education in the State of Mississippi and try to get in a DECENT college outside of the MidSouth ! LOL LOL

yeah, you bet ! NOPE, I wasn't about to put that nasty label on my kids ! hell no

but you are free to stay right there in that hellhole

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

SHUT UP ! ! ! !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SELFMADEMAN in Memphis, Tennessee

25 months ago

debby in Sarasota, Florida said: nothing says progressivism and enlightenment as having a MISSISSIPPI automobile license plate on your car for sure !

Olive Branch, Southhaven etc is STILL in the WORST RATED STATE in these United States -

yeah sure fella, have your kids get an education in the State of Mississippi and try to get in a DECENT college outside of the MidSouth ! LOL LOL

yeah, you bet ! NOPE, I wasn't about to put that nasty label on my kids ! hell no

but you are free to stay right there in that hellhole

UNIVERITY OF TENNESSEE UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI MISSISSIPPI STATE UNIVERSITY UNIVERSITY OF ARKSNSAS JUST TO NAME A FEW SO WHY WORRY ABOUT HARVARD YALE AN UCLA WHEN THE SOUTH HAS SOME GREAT COLLAGES AN DO YOUR HOMEWORK YOULL SEE SOUTHAVEN MAYBE IN MISSISSIPPI BUT ITS THE BEST LOCATION AND SCHOOL SYSTEM IS GREAT IF YOUR CLOSE TO THE MEMPHIS AREA AND TO BE HONEST NO ONE ACTUALLY LIVES IN THE INNER CITIES NOW DAYS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Hey Selfmade,

Just ignore Debby... She's one of those people the city of Memphis PAID to leave because she was a public nusince. She has a gutter mouth, her neighbors want her to move back here they hate her so much and she just got fired and with no insurance, she can't afford her psycotropic medications. So as long as they don't let her buy anymore guns, we'll all be ok. Some people you just have to ingore...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

I'm glad you think so. The last thing we need is someone like you here. As they say, you can who is ahead of who by who'se trying to kick who in the butt." Get a life and get off of here...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Delphi

24 months ago

a Mississippi school system outside of Memphis TN is G-R-E-A-T ?????

that's the biggest overstatement and LIE I've ever heard

lots of people call MEMPHIS the largest city in the state of Mississippi anyway ! just ask anyone who lives in Nashville or Knowxville, they will confirm that label

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Truth Speaker in Hyattsville, Maryland

24 months ago

I can't stand Memphis. So much racism it's not funny.

You can tell by some of the ignorant comments on this board.

And the ignorance is on BOTH sides. An educated black man, I often skirmished with whites who couldn't see past my skin and blacks who twisted their faces at dark skin with an articulate mouth. The division is unreal as county and city are constantly fighting. If you like drinking and partying, there might be something for you downtown, but I found the city boring.

If you can overlook racial divisions, you might appreciate the slow pace, a good place to raise kids, etc. The people are friendly and can make you feel at home. The food is good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mcauseylcsw in Ripley, Tennessee

24 months ago

SuJun in Laramie, Wyoming said: Hi Relo,
Hi SuJun, I am a Memphis native although I now live outside of the city. I would love to move back but my husband's work takes him around the rural areas. Many Memphians have moved to places just outside of the city such as Southaven,Ms. or Tipton Co. Tn. I attended the University of Memphis in the 80's and when growing up went to Campus School which was then the teachers' training school. I love that area. Most of the homes are older but quite nice. Your husband's contact at the university should be able to help out. There are some really nice bungalows around that area and a large park and botanical garden. But,I would first ask you if you have school age children. That would determine my decision!! The further east you go from the university, generally, the more you would spend for housing. The downtown area has become very hip and there are some really nice lofts, most of those are for sale,but there you will find some nice apartments which are very affordable and have nice amenities. I hope this helps you and I wish you and your husband the best!

We are indeed moving to Memphis this summer, probably in late July to August. We are moving from a very dry climate to the very humid Memphis, thank goodness. We will be renting this year because we want to look around and because our house may not sell immediately.

I have several question:
Where is the best place to look for housing? My husband will be commuting to the University of Memphis.

Since we do not know when our home will sell, For flexibility, I need temp jobs in Interactive Media, Graphic Design, Web Design, etc. Is there a good temp agency?

We are moving from a very small town and a state whose population is less than Memphis. As a result, I don't even know what other questions to ask. I have never lived in a city this size. What do you think of Memphis? What should this small town person know?

Thank You so much!
SuJun[/QU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

And you call yourself from Hernandao ? Huh. That's just south of Hollywood isn't it ? It must be a real wild place to live if writing on here is all you have to do.
The Memphis/Messissippi thing is form Mississippi dregs like yourself or people that are from other places that are jealous. You'd probably find more fun/conflict of people wondering what it's like to move where you live. But then people probably wouldn't wonder, they'd just shoot themselves. Sorry, nice day for fishing eh ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

bluesboy in Austin, Texas said: Memphis is horrible - sorry to say, but lots of cities don't make the grade either

lots of cities suck, like Bham, Montgomery,, Jackson MS, Detroit, Oakland, Pine Bluff, Macon, and lots of others as qwll

And this comes from someone calling themselves BLUESBOY in Austin ? Funny... Play us some good ole "Austin" Blues.... Ha ha ha ha ha....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hernando ms in Memphis, Tennessee

24 months ago

you must not be familier with the area cause hernando is one of the best areas around here but owell fishing yea i guess nyc central park

24 months ago

Anyone who brags about Hernando Mississippi... Well, enough said. I don't know why your even on here. Are their people writing on here wondering what it would be like to live there ? Didn't think so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

hernando ms in Memphis, Tennessee

24 months ago

so i take it you live in chicago or new york miami somewhere thats nice ill admit memphis isint dallas or houston or phoenix by far but its a good step up from the jackson mississippi area now are you happy or would you like to continue being an premadonna about a small topic of a small city now we all know memphis has it flaws so does nashville an lil rock an any other city in the usa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Naples, Florida

24 months ago

I have a job offer in Memphis and have never been there. It's a really difficult decison for me as I've lived in this beautiful town for 25 years. Wondering if it's time to try some place new and really, really looking for comments that are more helpful than the arguing it's turned into. Everyone has an opinion and view and that's great - that's why they make crayons in lots of colors. Can the bashing stay out of it? It only makes it confusing and unreliable once it turns into the back and forth stuff.

hernando ms

24 months ago

DONT GET ME WRONG MEMPHIS HAS CRIME AN BIG CITY PROBLEMS JUST LIKE ANYWHERE ELSE NOW IM A TRAVELING MAN AND I VISIT DALLAS HOUSTON ATLANTA INDIANAPOLIS MILWAUKEE CHICAGO PRETTY FREQUENT AND MEMPHIS ISINT LIKE ANY IVE NAME(BIGGER&BETTER) BUT WE HAVE NBA AN BEALE ST IS GOOD FOR A WALK DOWN ON A GOOD SATURDAY NIGHT BUT WE COULD REally use more advaNCEMENT ON MODERN DAY RECREATION HERE IN MEMPHIS AS NASHVILLE HAS A BETTER ECONOMY AND HAS THE BETTER OPTIONS OF TENNESSEE BUT EVERYONE HAS A DIFFERENT DEFINITION OF A NICE CITY SO YOUD HAVE TO COME HERE VISIT AND SEE FOR YOUR SELF BUT YES AS A CITIZEN OF MEMPHIS ILL ADMIT THE CITY COULD USE SOME TOUCHING UP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Sure Marla, tell me what your looking for or wondering about and if you'll reply to this, I'll reply back.

conundrum in Bessemer, Alabama

23 months ago

I am deeply saddened by the reviews I have read on this post. Some of the posts do provide readible insight into the City and has also provided information a person can research for themselves. I am considering working in Memphis for several personal reasons and a great opportunity, however I am looking for an area that may allow my wife and kids to visit on the weekends and provide walkable access to dining, greenspace, cultural events, activities, bike lanes/trails, walking trails and diversity.
I am not concerned about school districts being Memphis area will only be a second home. Safety is important to me, however I do understand crime is everywhere. Without any of the race baiting, finger pointing or hatred, is downtown a good location or would mid town be better? I prefer to live within the City being this would allow me to identify with the culture/subculture of Memphis and obtain a person experience and understanding with the people and City.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

I would say Mid-Town is your best bet. The Cooper Young area has numerous restaurants within walking distance. There are new bike lanes and a new "green trail" that runs from Mid-Town all the way out to Shelby Farms. Since that bike/walk trail has been open, there has been very little crime. They do try heard here and if you look, you'll see policeman on bicycles... The trail was an old railroad track where the tracks were dug up. Living anywhere in mid-town, your just a mile or two from all kinds of restaurants. I used to live in Mid-Town but for good reasons, had to move near U of M. Mid-town peopler call themselves Mid-towners, mostly because they wouldn't live anywhere else. I'm a Mid-Towner at heart. Good luck and glad to have you here...

guess in Austin, Texas

23 months ago

well, you shouldn't be "saddened" about truth my friend - yes, everyone's experience can be different, but the facts on the GROUND about Memphis are what they are, right ?

Memphis suffers tremendously by its own hand. Some revel in the mediocrity, and the blaming etc - your server states you might be in Bessemer AL (of course servers can be anywhere I know)

But if by chance if you are however familiar with Bham then you know that Bham sorta sucks too - even in areas like Bessemer, West End, East Lake, Ensley,, Tarrant etc etc etc, but there are greta areas like Mtn Brook, Vestavia Hills, south Shelby/280/Indian Springs, a few places around Hoover, even Trussville etc etc...but taken as a whole Bham still sucks and is primitive as well

Be advised that Memphis Midtown is heavily laden with the homosexual community as well, that's not a good thing, it's not a bad thing - it just should be known and stated clearly -

I would never live in Midtown aka "Madtown", even for a "second home"

it's not even as nice as around Five Points South

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

conundrum in Bessemer, Alabama

23 months ago

Thanks for the responses. I have lived in several States because of my profession, however I understand our opinions are based on our experiences. I am in no way acting as if I know who is being truthful or not pertaining to Memphis, however I feel people should at least be able to voice "their" opinions verbally withought the need to attack, berate or disparage others from their opinions.

Birmingham in my opinion overall is a good City. It has its political issues, social issues, crime, both good and bad school systems, however it also has caring individuals and communities that cause it to be warm, accepting and above all forgiving. Sadly enough Birmingham has a lot of negative civil rights culture "Bull Connors", the Pratt Mines, State allowed prison slavery etc, however it's not the worse place I have been. "Guess in Austin" it appears you labeled the minority areas as the bad areas and the more affluent areas as the good areas. Hoover has a higher crime rate than the City of Birmingham, 280 corridor is known for high sexual predators and meth labs.

I am certain you are familiar with Birmingham and miles more aware of the culture of Memphis than I am. I appreciate your input and am grateful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

guess in Austin, Texas

23 months ago

certainly not attempting to "berate" a poster individually..that's unfair, but I too have lived all over the place, and I certainly DO know Bham as well as Memphis as well as ATL, Dallas, Houston, Little Rock and a ton of other cities in the south and outside the south - and I know when a city "sucks" by many metrics commonly used -

I have good friends in Bham from such diverse areas as English Village to Crestline to Gardendale to College Hill. I know what I'm talking about viz the histories and what makes a city great, or problematic - and yes, all cities have problems - but I rank
Bham with places like Jackson MS, Shreveport - bham is better than Montgomery for sure, but places like Huntsville in fact, do shine above lots of larger cities for sure.

Memphis sucks. it is plagued by being close to the impoverished and stupid state of MISSISSIPPI, and of course Eastern Arkansas - in MY OPINION and professional experience. It will lag other cities for a very very long time - it shares that problem with a city like Bham. Bham lived in the shadow of ATL for too many years. Memphis is an overgrown river town, and cotton trading town where racism is de riguer and omnipresent.

Yep, I lived there for a while - family owns property all over - esp Vestavia Hills/Altadena, and I'll pick living in an affluent area over a poor one anyday...lol, if you are able of course.

In Midtown, the problem is that if you walk three blocks in any direction you will be in one of 4 sketchy if not dangerous areas - just ask anyone who might tell you the truth - but people there like to LIE and embellish - they pretend it's some great area - it's NOT my friend - people there are xenophobic to boot, and hate criticism, they resent "outsiders" (unlike many parts of Bham even)

guess in Austin, Texas

23 months ago

certainly not attempting to "berate" a poster individually..that's unfair, but I too have lived all over the place, and I certainly DO know Bham as well as Memphis as well as ATL, Dallas, Houston, Little Rock and a ton of other cities in the south and outside the south - and I know when a city "sucks" by many metrics commonly used -

I have good friends in Bham from such diverse areas as English Village to Crestline to Gardendale to College Hill. I know what I'm talking about viz the histories and what makes a city great, or problematic - and yes, all cities have problems - but I rank
Bham with places like Jackson MS, Shreveport - bham is better than Montgomery for sure, but places like Huntsville in fact, do shine above lots of larger cities for sure.

Memphis sucks. it is plagued by being close to the impoverished and stupid state of MISSISSIPPI, and of course Eastern Arkansas - in MY OPINION and professional experience. It will lag other cities for a very very long time - it shares that problem with a city like Bham. Bham lived in the shadow of ATL for too many years. Memphis is an overgrown river town, and cotton trading town where racism is de riguer and omnipresent.

Yep, I lived there for a while - family owns property all over - esp Vestavia Hills/Altadena, and I'll pick living in an affluent area over a poor one anyday...lol, if you are able of course.

In Midtown, the problem is that if you walk three blocks in any direction you will be in one of 4 sketchy if not dangerous areas - just ask anyone who might tell you the truth - but people there like to LIE and embellish - they pretend it's some great area - it's NOT my friend - people there are xenophobic to boot, and hate criticism, they resent "outsiders" (unlike many parts of Bham even)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

guess in Austin, Texas

23 months ago

I live btw, most of the time in SW FL, I'll take this area over most thank you very much !

L0313 in Cordova, Tennessee

22 months ago

I have lived in Memphis all my life . I am 44 years old . I have read these posts on here about Memphis . I can see the good and bad about Memphis . Yes this city is racially divided . Yes the crime is high in some parts . But there are also some really great people in this city . There are very few places you can go to where strangers pass you and say Hi how you doing . or complete strangers wave as you pass by in your car . Great music great food good people . I know there are many many problems in this city . There are still some good areas . I think the main problem is that not all good people can afford those areas . I left this city for about a year at one time . I lived overseas ..and I can say that when I finally landed back home ..home never looked so good .

surferjohn in Memphis, Tennessee

22 months ago

I agree with the about comment about Memphis haveing lived her for over 30 yrs... One thing you have to remember, some people will always throw the race card out there when there is nothing left to throw, it's a cheap shot that can't be supported so you end up in an arguement and for what..
I can't tell you how many people I've met from all over the world that have told me how Lucky I was to live here. Forget the problems, everywhere has them. But if you like a warm easy culture, there's always something to do... Reasonably warm winters, adults become kids when it snows which is funny and it snows maybe 1 or 2 times a year. and you have days in the 70's. Memphis get allot of it's weather from the gulf, so it can be warm and tropical at times... In the summer, you can hot hot humid days b but tha's offset by not having cold blistering days, shoveling snow, ice and frigid temps. It's a fun place to live and If I ever moved, I know I would miss it dearly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

guess in Austin, Texas

22 months ago

No one in their sane minds is pitting or comparing Memphis "to living overseas or out of the United States"

That's a red herring and a strawman argument ! Try comparing (intelligently) Memphis to just a FEW other US cities and specifically SOUTHERN cities FIRST !

No one would argue intelligently that living in a dump like Memphis is better than living in lots of European cities no doubt given the economies and histories.

Let's look at Charlotte, Raleigh, Austin, Portland, coastal SC, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Houston (close to the coast esp), Nashville, Knoxville area, Atlnata,and Huntsville AL.

Memphis is so far behind it's laughable, and if you don't think it's far far behind YOU need to go LIVE for a few years somewhere else mentioned ! or as far as San Diego or seattle even.

Please give us a break ! Memphis is hardly what I call "competitive" one bit. Some one said Memphis had "GREAT FOOD" ??? are you nutty ?? Memphis is not some foodie city, or culinary destination my friend, again, what are you smoking ?? there IS NO inspired cuisine in Memphis like there is in cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte, Charleston, New Orleans, Miami, Tampa, Chicago, San Francisco, NYC, Boston and a TON of other cities. To label Memphis food as GREAT is an overstatement and a complate LIE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

guess in Austin, Texas

22 months ago

No one in their sane minds is pitting or comparing Memphis "to living overseas or out of the United States"

That's a red herring and a strawman argument ! Try comparing (intelligently) Memphis to just a FEW other US cities and specifically SOUTHERN cities FIRST !

No one would argue intelligently that living in a dump like Memphis is better than living in lots of European cities no doubt given the economies and histories.

Let's look at Charlotte, Raleigh, Austin, Portland, coastal SC, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Houston (close to the coast esp), Nashville, Knoxville area, Atlnata,and Huntsville AL.

Memphis is so far behind it's laughable, and if you don't think it's far far behind YOU need to go LIVE for a few years somewhere else mentioned ! or as far as San Diego or seattle even.

Please give us a break ! Memphis is hardly what I call "competitive" one bit. Some one said Memphis had "GREAT FOOD" ??? are you nutty ?? Memphis is not some foodie city, or culinary destination my friend, again, what are you smoking ?? there IS NO inspired cuisine in Memphis like there is in cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Charlotte, Charleston, New Orleans, Miami, Tampa, Chicago, San Francisco, NYC, Boston and a TON of other cities. To label Memphis food as GREAT is an overstatement and a complate LIE

angie in Memphis, Tennessee

22 months ago

If your going to move to memphis. There's def certain places you don't want to live. Beware if the price of apartment rent is cheap its cheap for a reason. Usally high crime. My advice If looking for best is either. Another piece advice. Just because an area was listed as safe place to live last year doesn't mean its still the same. I used to live in Cordova and it was nice place to live. If someone ask me if they should get an apartment there. Its ok but I wouldn't be all excited giving positive reviews about it.

You should really check out any place before moving. As for people bashing Memphis. I say they've never been to every single place in Memphis. Not all places are alike haters and she was asking the best places. Not the worst. FYI there crime everywhere

Charles Goodwin in San Francisco, California

22 months ago

Lived in Memphis for several years. Don't even consider living within the Memphis city limits. Period. High taxes paired with low-quality services, crime, corrupt government, and one of the worst school districts in the country. One exception: if you're young and single, then living downtown or on Mud Island could be fun for you.

Don't let people from Memphis fool you: there are no good Memphis City Schools. Not one. White Station HS is probably the best, but no one sends their kids there unless they can't afford somewhere better.

Several of the suburbs are very nice and have fantastic schools, namely Gernamntown, Collierville, and Arlington. Cordova used to be nce, but is now headed downhill FAST.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

DC in San Francisco, California

22 months ago

say what in Memphis, Tennessee said: Sorry you never got out of your cubby hole of Germantown. I lived in what people called "ghetto". In certain places memphis has high crime rate. But I can tell you one thing. In all my first 18 yrs I lived there I was never mugged. I get a scholarlship all excited and move to Nashville and first week there I was mugged. In daylight. How's that for your safe Nashville. But that didn't deter me. If I can handle Memphis I could handle the Nashville scum.

Umm... Memphis (meaning the city itself) has one of the highest crime rates in the country. Sorry you were mugged in Nashville, but one experience doesn't change decades of statistics. Look, everyone always looks fondly on the place they grew up, but Memphis has issues....

Charles Goodwin in San Francisco, California

22 months ago

Maria in Naples, Florida said: Can the bashing stay out of it? It only makes it confusing and unreliable once it turns into the back and forth stuff.

Hi Maria,

Therein lies a major problem with Memphis, unfortunately. It is a very divided city, both racially and economically.

To try to answer your question, if you're not worried about schools then it really matters what you want. If you want to live downtown and be close to nightlife, walk to restaurants, etc, then look at Mud Island or living Downtown (capital D), which is a small area surrounding the entertainment district. If you want somewhere quieter and more suburban, then look at Germantown, Collierville, or Olive Branch, MS, which is no further away. If you want to live out in the country, look out toward Lakeland/Arlington or Fisherville/Piperton.

Hope this helps.

yes i admit in Memphis, Tennessee

22 months ago

ok being new only being in the area few years yes i come to admit that this place does sucks espically for a civilized black male trying to live in desoto county well its good an quiet here due to the fact the other race dont talk to you and most have this go back to memfrica type attitude and well we all know memphis inner city will MAKE you one bitter person from back stabing friends to crooked cops to racist blacks and whites crime is the name of the game in memphis inner city home breakins drug deals shootings yes they love it there lol but my neighbor a retired air pilot with a asian wife just told me people are dumb an racisT here an he refuse to let his kid grow up here saying hes moving to aUSTIN TX FOR A BETTER EDUCATION FOR HER AN HES A WHITE MALE BEING MARRIED TO A ASIAN WOMAN EVEN HE CAN FEEL THE RACIAL TENSION AND I HATE IT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LH38111

21 months ago

I have lived in Memphis 30 years and I love it. My East Memphis neighborhood is safe, pleasant, and racially diverse. It is conveniently located - about 15 minutes from downtown, 5 from the University of Memphis, and 5 minutes from shopping and restaurants. The cost of living here is very low, and the water is some of the best in the nation since it comes from an underground aquifer. If you're in healthcare, you'll find plenty of job opportunities. Sure, there is crime here, but the vast majority of homicides are committed by people who know their victim. The schools could be better, both city and county. (I'm a teacher so I know). The best part about Memphis is the friendly, loving, people who live here. All you haters who have posted to this forum....please find happiness in some other city.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.