What are the best neigborhoods in Memphis?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 199 of 199)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

TNBookChick in Memphis, Tennessee

24 months ago

Memphis is a beautiful city in many ways. I was born here and have lived in several other places. I love the green trees and flowers, which are seriously lacking in some places. Memphis is a high poverty city with resultant problems of high crime, struggling schools, and blighted areas. However, many areas of the city are beautiful and generally safe. We have some of the best tap water in the world, very affordable housing, and many friendly people. We generally love basketball, and Tiger blue is in evidence all over town when the Memphis Tigers have a home game. We have new bicycle lanes all around town, a world class zoo, and many opportunities for fun throughout the year. Perhaps the single greatest problem is racism on multiple fronts. Join us and help the region become better than it is today.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

David in Singapore, Singapore

24 months ago

Have been reading this tread about memphis. We are looking to buy a house in Berrywood avenue, southeast memphis. Can anyone advise me on the location in terms crime, racial tensions, etc... Thanking you in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

advisor in Austin, Texas

24 months ago

my advice is to get the crime tracker from the police website in Memphis..I know the area and for years it was a stable mid to lower middle class neighborhood, but that whole area is in transition and I know for ME, I would not live in that sector at all because of "creep" from just south and west of there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

surferjohn in Memphis, Tennessee

24 months ago

I Googled Berryhill and it showed it to be in Cordova... I would get the country tax assessor site and look at the home values. I used to work for Century 21 and the homes in that area, originally about 10-15 yrs. ago, were way over priced... Diversity and gang activity came into the high schools and people were then upside down. It's a little more stable now.. ME, I wouldn't move there because you don't know what it's going to be like in 10 yrs.. I've sen numerous up and coming area's go to crap before they even got started.. If your looking for newer type homes and stable area, try Bartlett.. Everyone there would not live anywhere else.. Get a good real estate agent, but don't go with a local company. Get a national company like Century 21, Remax etc... Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Thanks guys for the advice. Not sure it is at Cordova as googled. The location Im looking at is at Berrywood Avenue, TN 38118, not too far from Get Well Community Clinic and walking distance to Goodlett Elementary School. To the east is the Memphis International Airport. What is your advice in this area. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

The airport is south of Memphis... I'm no longer in real estate and have nothing to gain, BUT, I would contact a Century 21 agent there in Singapore and have them to link up with an agent here that will help you out... FYI, the agent in Memphis will give the one in Singapore a referral fee...I would let them do the work and give you their best advice based on their experience.. THis is what they get paid for and why a seller has to charge the sales commission rate they do... I would utilize this service..And Good Luck..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Thanks surfer john

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

username in Austin, Texas

24 months ago

you said BerryWOOD, not BerryHILL ! I assure you those 2 neighborhoods are NOTHING alike !!

watchout !!

username in Austin, Texas

24 months ago

you said BerryWOOD, not BerryHILL ! I assure you those 2 neighborhoods are NOTHING alike !!

watchout !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

MEMPHIS NEEDS A MAYOR in Memphis, Tennessee

24 months ago

MUD ISLAND HERNANDO COLLIERVILLE BYHALIA NESBIT PLEASANT HILL ALL SEEM TO BE THE BETTER PARTS TO LIVE ONLY NEGATIVE IS THAT YOUR IN THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI BUT MEMPHIS REALLY SHOULD BE GROWNING AN EXPANDING FASTER THAN IT IS NOW WITH DELTA LEAVEING IM SURE FED EX WILL BE RETHINKING ABOUT ITS HOME TERMINAL AND HOME LOCATION BEFORE LONG AND AFTER THAT IT WILL BE DOWN HILL FROM THERE AT ONE TIME MEMPHIS HAD NFL NBA AND WAS STARTING TO LOOK LIKE A AMERICAN CITY POWERHOUSE BUT NOW ITS STARTING TO SEEM LIKE A BIG OLE MISSISSIPPI DELTA TOWN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

angie in Dyersburg, Tennessee

24 months ago

Like I said I lived in the ghetto. I'm not referring to cheap apartments or housing. I'm refering a certain gaing or drugs. I know the crime rate in memphis. I'm just saying its not that way everyway. If you go to Germantown. Alot people say I live in Memphis. Germantown to be exact or other places.

Babe in Dyersburg, Tennessee

24 months ago

yes i admit in Memphis, Tennessee said: ok being new only being in the area few years yes i come to admit that this place does sucks espically for a civilized black male trying to live in desoto county well its good an quiet here due to the fact the other race dont talk to you and most have this go back to memfrica type attitude and well we all know memphis inner city will MAKE you one bitter person from back stabing friends to crooked cops to racist blacks and whites crime is the name of the game in memphis inner city home breakins drug deals shootings yes they love it there lol but my neighbor a retired air pilot with a asian wife just told me people are dumb an racisT here an he refuse to let his kid grow up here saying hes moving to aUSTIN TX FOR A BETTER EDUCATION FOR HER AN HES A WHITE MALE BEING MARRIED TO A ASIAN WOMAN EVEN HE CAN FEEL THE RACIAL TENSION AND I HATE IT

I won't take it personally when you say memphrica. I get what your saying. Honestly I don't get being called African American. I have a friend who's great grandparents from Irealand and she's not Irish American. Ok back to what you saying. Black people can be just as racist as white people and some even more and bad thing about it we get away with it and its terrible. That's why people can't get over the hatred towards. I don't get a man married to an asian woman and being pissed towards black people and all blah blah blah. When I know this guy when I was growing up he was in the Korean war and married to a Korean.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Babe in Dyersburg, Tennessee

24 months ago

user name in Sarasota, Florida said: any way you cut it, Memphis Tennessee is a backward, stupid city , and it will never (in the next 50 years) become anything approaching a "great southern city"

screw thagt place

Duh lets live in Florida where we took over the poor alligator's home. Or mayb there be hurricane or tropical storm. Then we can cry about it when our house gets destroyed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Your right Babe in Dyersberg, only mine and your insurance rates go up because they insure those lowlands year after year... and as they say, 'when you speak of others, you speak of yourself." If that person had a life, they wouldn't be on here criticizing Memphis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jimmyjohn in Austin, Texas

23 months ago

so is Memphis somehow beyond criticism ?? that's pretty stupid ! people can comment or criticize anywhere they wish "on here", or over "there", or "in person", or anywhere else ! how MORONIC ! but tyupically "Memphis thinking"

you're "on here" (the web) as well you idiot, why personalize someone expressing an OPINION ??

how very very STOOOPID ! even for Memphis

gee, I can't help that Memphis TN SUCKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

speaking of "sucking", dyersburg is an armpit, with sociopathic rednecks and lowlifes as well ! anybody who lives in dburg can tell you it's one of the most nosey, narrow, and even adulterous cities in TN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

btw, I'll accept a few hurricanes before living in tornado prone areas (like AR, w TN, KS, MO (duh), even E TN, some parts of AL (duh), and friggen MISSISSIPPI) - at least we get warnings ! how does one handle "warnings of rednecks and stupidity all over" "

LOL - no where is PERFECT, but believe me, there are MUCH better places in the US to reside, besides ANYWHERE in W TN or Memphis, for godsake

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Considering.... in Union City, Tennessee

23 months ago

I currently live in Dyersburg TN. I was born and raised here. And jimmyjohn, about Dyersburg - your right. But I am considering an employment offer in Memphis and I would like your oppinion. If I were to relocate to Arlington or Germantown, maybe Lakeland - would that be better than Dyersburg? You have lived in both places?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jimmyjohnagain in Austin, Texas

23 months ago

the only problem with Gtown and/or Arlington, its that it is infected by Memphis and part of the Memphis MSA- yes, you can avoid a lot living as far out as you can (Arlington), but Germantown is far mor established with a great proactive police presence, etc

Dburg ?? I wouldn't even remotely considering living in that Peyton Place, ever LOL

You do what you have to do for sure- if you have an absolutely "great opportunity in Memphis" then you would have to look at it seriously for sure, which I did, and fortunately made way enough money to leave on weekends at the drop of a hat via plane, or car (which I did as often as I could) If you can pay your dues for a short while professionally in Memphis and stage to get the hell out, that would be optimum, but Memphis will sap the intelligence out of you, and your family ! If you make enough to insulate yourself and your family from the idioscy, it will work for a WHILE, then you will start wishing you never made the decision to ever come to Memphis TN in the first place---LOL or you should have moved to a place like Nashville, or Raleigh, or Charlotte, or even Spartanburg ! it's my opinion only, based on solid experience. The place is not likely to truly mature in the next 20 years -- if you have that kind of time to waste on a boneheaded environment, then you should go right ahead ! but go there with the true intent of planning you next move, or already have it in sight ! if you don't, the "quicksand" of ignorance, racism, pretense, false pride, bad attitudes, and parochialism shall suffocate you and your family, and the "infection" is hard to get rid of, until you "breathe" the fresh air of a truly dynamic, thoughful and progressive environment.

In a word, don't do it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jmoore228 in Columbus, Ohio

21 months ago

LH38111 said: I have lived in Memphis 30 years and I love it. My East Memphis neighborhood is safe, pleasant, and racially diverse. It is conveniently located - about 15 minutes from downtown, 5 from the University of Memphis, and 5 minutes from shopping and restaurants. The cost of living here is very low, and the water is some of the best in the nation since it comes from an underground aquifer. If you're in healthcare , you'll find plenty of job opportunities. Sure, there is crime here, but the vast majority of homicides are committed by people who know their victim. The schools could be better, both city and county. (I'm a teacher so I know). The best part about Memphis is the friendly, loving, people who live here. All you haters who have posted to this forum....please find happiness in some other city.

I am considering moving to Memphis and I've seen that its been somewhat of a back and forth debate both good and bad. Moreso bad than good. I am in the medical field and I had a few question about the area in which you live but I'd rather not have to try to rummage through others comments to find your reply so could you please email me personally at Jmoore.228@gmail.com thanks. I have tons of questions i need to make sure this will be a fincially good and safe move for me and my two young children (1 & 3)

TheSouthIsABackwardCraphole in Memphis, Tennessee

19 months ago

Tumpredwine in Memphis, Tennessee said: I want to be the first to assist those Memphians who hate Memphis but are still here. For those of us who are happy here, how may we assist in getting you somewhere that YOU will be happy?

Take up a collection for me of $300,000 after taxes & you'll see rocket flames out my tail. I'll blast off out of here so fast your head will spin probably give you whiplash. At least the $120,000 I've been robbed, scammed & vandalized out of since living here.
Hurricanes once or twice a year in Fla.?
My place gets to look like a hurricane hit it daily with trash & every other week with vandalism. Plus the good 'ol occasional house break in, car theft or always fun, gun in the face.
I was born here but grew up around the world with a military dad then stepfather. I made the naïve mistake of moving back here 26 years ago after school. I thought everyone was an individual, deserving of basic courtesy & respect. But this crap hole makes it impossible to create a life. Honesty, work ethic, responsibility means nothing here. It's all about bigotry, braggart about size or sports ability, running con games, lying & stealing being smart. Harassing & bullying people because they look vulnerable & you think you can get away with it or impress your friends & feel like a big man or some sh-t. The tout M. King's "I have a Dream" speech but sure as hell don't live it.
This place makes me wish I was never born. I cannot wait to die after living here because this place does not offer the opportunity for a single, short, white male a life. I have no desire to be a crook or a thug to get ahead. So this city is trash. If you're a liar & a thief. i.e. your word is garbage then you are garbage.
and that is unfortunately, what most southerners appear to be all about.
It is hard to get out when your stuff is stole or destroyed regularly. Memphis may be GREAT but the actions of the residents are Not

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

goto in Covington, Tennessee

18 months ago

HAPPY in Memphis, Tennessee said: Memphis is a nice place in spite of what people are saying. South and North Memphis mainly consist of mostly African Americans. East Memphis (Hickory Hill) consist of African American and Mexicans. Germantown, Collierville and Bartless consist of majority Caucasians. Downtown and Midtown are the older part of the city and is diverse. Regardless of where you chose, crime is every where and it doesn't matter what color. Let me know how you like here.

"Your so are right". I'v lived in Memphis an been thinking about moving back to Midtown cause I love it. Love or hate, it's what it is. I love the blacks with their own individuality. Their cars, dress, music and talk. A proud Southern heritage of poor black folk that worked hard in the cotton fields. No one like them in the world and originated from the Southern parts of the United States after being brought over from Africa. I love the so called uneducated Redneck Poor White Trash. Ya'll I'm white and poor. No more trashy than rich folk though. There have been movies and books made about these Southern people. "Sho Nuff, these here are some of the Orginials. but, If you want the excitment of the city, the diversity of ALL the people in Memphis with some of it's oldest homes and builings move to Midtown or Downtown.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bob Hoskins in Nashville, Tennessee

13 months ago

I have lived in Memphis and the hardest thing is finding a peaceful place to live. I can't believe that FedEx aircraft noise is not mentioned here. They operate sometimes 100 flights in the middle of the night with no regard for peace or community. Noise laws are not enforced. You may have neighbors with dogs who bark all night, frat-boys who blast their bass and party all night, crazy people fighting outside but the worst is FedEx. It is taboo to talk about all the noise and pollution FedEx causes because it is the main employer here. Fred Smith moved FedEX here cause its cheap and only poor black folks under the flight path. It will get worse when they lessen the flight restrictions even more. It may seem allright when you move to a new place and sign a lease but then when the wind patterns shift and the armada of aircraft fly from 2am to 4am good luck. I have even tried sleeping with ear-plugs. Midtown and the university of Memphis areas are the worst for noise. Most people are down and out and sleep deprived here. Garbage is everywhere and the air quality is bad. Your life expectancy will go down if you live here.
I would suggest the ugly white suburbs only so you can sleep.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cali Girl in Memphis, Tennessee

7 months ago

I recently moved to Memphis from Long Beach, California, home of Snoop Dogg. I lived in Long Beach all my life, and I've lived in Memphis now for almost four months. I am in a graduate program and teach at U of M and my daughter goes to school there too. While planning my move to Memphis, it was hard to find unbiased information about the city, and most of what I read about Memphis on the internet boils down to "the best parts of Memphis are the freeways heading out of it." So, here I'd like to try to post an unbiased report living in Memphis, TN.

Most of what EVERYONE else has posted on this thread about the city itself is correct. Crime is an issue, but most of the crime is theft--car break-ins, home robberies, and armed robberies--although Forbes just reported Memphis has one of the top ten highest violent crime rates per capita. Best advice: be mindful of your surroundings, don't walk around at night or alone in a dangerous area, secure your home, don't leave bags of stuff or anything someone could steal and sell visible in your car, blah, blah, blah. All the same precautions we take every day in any city, right? People living in New York and New Orleans and Where-ever, FL take the same precautions.

The poverty rate in Memphis overall is 27.20% and it climbs as high as 37% in Black, Latino and single parent households. About half the population of Memphis live below the poverty line and most are the working poor class.

Despite the negative crime and poverty reports, Memphis is not devoid of culture, prosperity and a middle class. Memphis is like any other major city with the same types of museums, restaurants, attractions, enclaves, events, etc. Just last week I went to see a musical at the Orpheum. There are wine tasting events at the Brooks Museum and the Peabody Hotel, and plenty of outdoor concerts and events in the summer. Check out the <a href="www.memphisflyer.com">The Memphis Flyer</a>.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

Like in any other city, there are good places to live and bad places to live. The internet is not the best resource for finding out where to live in Memphis. It is full of people hiding behind computers who just want to argue for whatever reason. The only way to know where to live for sure is to come to Memphis in person and drive around the neighborhoods, talk to people, and find the neighborhood that suits you. Talk to restaurant workers, hotel workers (hotel bartenders are the best sources of information), other people who already live and work here. You'll need about four days in the city to see all the enclaves for yourself and experience the city.

Like most posters are answering in this forum, when I asked about where to live when relocating, most everyone told me Germantown, Collierville, and Cordova. If people are telling you this, it is because you are white and these are the places where mostly white people live.

Know that the population here is split 50% Black / 50% White. I've heard there is a large enclave of Latinos who live in a few pockets in Memphis and a healthy Asian community; however, I've only seen a few Asians and some Latinos working at the Mexican restaurants in town. And, from my limited exposure to the city, there is a mixture of black and white throughout the city although some areas are "blacker" than others and some are "whiter" than others.

When you ask where is the "safe" place to live, the answer will be an area where mostly white people live. If you are into that, then follow the advice; otherwise, both Midtown and Downtown are also great. East Memphis is expensive but very middle class. Near U of M is also decent. I live near the university in a track of houses owned by U of M where mostly frats, college students, and other faculty members live. My neighborhood is mixed racially and mostly insulated by the university but still not considered the best or the worst neighborhood in town.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

To quote from another comment posted here, Memphis is "an overgrown cotton trading bs river town with a Mississippi overtone." This is somewhat true, so be prepared. Black and White racism is alive in Memphis. It's on both sides. Remember, Jim Crow was not that long ago, Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis, and Memphis is a Southern state (although they claim Mid-South status). Service-type jobs in restaurants, Target, Walmart, Kroger, etc. are held by mostly Black adults, and Whites hold the more professional positions. Most often, services workers do not look customers in the eye, greet them in a friendly way or engage them at all. They keep their heads down and do their jobs quickly and efficiently.

This will be a shock if you come from somewhere more diverse and dedicated to "service with a smile" like Cali. In Southern California, most of these types of service positions are held by young high school and college students of various races who are always trying to up sell you something and have been to customer service training. Don't be offended by the demeanor of these service people. They come from a completely different culture than you do; instead, engage them in conversation. Service workers will engage in friendly conversation if you acknowledge them and begin the conversation. Oh, and on a side note, please tip restaurant workers. Their wage is very low. They live off their tips, and it seems like tipping well is not the norm in Memphis. I customarily tip 20% unless I get really bad service. Three different servers have chased me out of the restaurant thanking me for my tip. This might just be good ol' Southern hospitality.

7 months ago

Speaking of Southern hospitality. It is not what you might expect in Memphis. Memphians are xenophobes. They don't like outsiders. And, if you are from the "North" or Illinois, God help you. I understand the North / South thing. For those of you who don't understand this, read up on the Civil War. It has not been forgotten in Tennessee. You should respect this because you are in their cultural context now. I am, however, not so sure I understand the whole Illinois thing, but Memphians in general believe those from Illinois are simply rude and too direct.

If you are from the West, you will most likely be dismissed as a silly, granola eating, tree hugger. They'll feel neutral about you in general--basically, the West doesn't count. Memphians have received me with mostly pity because I am blonde and from California. I tend to say dumb things like, "Is this tornado weather?" and "Oh my gosh, it's cold" when it's 60 degrees out. I hear "Now, bless your heart" a lot. Translation: "how stupid are you?"

Verbal communication is always best when dealing with Memphians. Even though you might think you are just being clear and direct in a voicemail or email, something is lost in translation. There is too much directness in written communication which can be offensive or sound harsh over email to Southerners, so call people when you are dealing with communication, especially if you are applying for a job. If a Memphian is not returning your email of voicemail, this is probably why. Remember, I advise earlier in this post that you should visit Memphis and speak to people in person.

Memphians are polite; they will apologize when no apologies are necessary especially if they feel they have offended you. You might be perplexed by this and wonder what you said that made them feel so apologetic. Just say no worries and move on. Memphians will be helpful even though they don't really trust you because you are an outsider.

7 months ago

Nashvillians are also outsiders. Memphians don't trust or respect Nashvillians and vice versa. If you've read some of the comments from posters "in Nashville," you've already caught on to this. Don't trust recommendations from Nashvillians regarding Memphis. Basically, Nashvillians like to think of Memphis as an extension of Mississippi, and many Memphians are Mississippi transplants. I've heard, Nashvillian's would be happier if Memphis simply seceded into Mississippi.

Memphians believe that the authorities in Nashville bus all their "panhandlers" to Memphis once a month. The story goes: once a month, the authorities give each panhandler $20, put them on a bus, and dump them off in downtown Memphis. Memphians are also very angry about Nashville's get of the Tennessee Titans. For many years, Memphis vied for an NFL team. "The Titans fell into Nashville's lap," and even though they knew Memphis was already working on getting a team, Nashville took the Titans out from under Memphis. Memphians don't forgive this insult. The get of an NFL team was a big deal to Tennessee, and Memphians, in general, are not Titan fans now. They root for the Dallas Cowboys.

Sports are big in Memphis. Obviously, the Grizzles are a big deal, but Memphians can buy U of M Tiger gear all over the city including at the Kroger, and it is normal to see even the homeless walking around wearing Tiger blue. Tiger blue for life!

Memphis is home to several colleges and universities. Some of you are asking about the schools in Memphis. I don't know the details of individual districts or schools because I haven't lived here long enough to research them; however, I teach freshmen at U of M, and I can tell you that my students are some of the brightest I've taught. 90% of them come from Memphis and neighboring towns in Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi which means they graduated from local schools. They have issues like all new college freshmen, but they are generally properly educated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

7 months ago

I agree. Memphians are bad drivers, especially in weather. Be careful. Everyone will tell you this. I've also heard that Memphians freak out when it snows because snow is not a normal event in Memphis. It gets old here. It is below freezing out right now, but it rarely snows. Ice storms do happen and these are big events that bring Memphians out in flocks to the grocery store to stock up just in case the Kroger explodes or the world ends.

Memphis is a regular city like any other. It has both good and bad. Housing and Memphis Light Gas and Water are affordable. I rent a 4 bedroom house for less money than I used to pay for a 2 bedroom apartment in Southern California. Cable television and internet are expensive though they are ridiculously priced anyway. Gas is cheap as is food; however, produce is pricey and generally not all that fresh. Sales tax is high, so your grocery bill probably won't change. Flights in and out of MEM and beauty treatments--hair cuts, mani/pedis, massages--are expensive! I haven't had a pedicure in four months; I used to get one every week. And, I only pray I can save enough money to buy a flight home to Cali once every year.

Hopefully, after reading this long, long post, you are hearing that you must figure out Memphis for yourself. Southerners have unique quirks as we all uniquely do. Come check the city out in person before you count Memphis out based on some internet troll's obtuse review. I wouldn't say the city is perfect by any means. Being a single woman living alone in the city makes me extremely nervous; however, Memphis is an interesting city, and I don't think it is the armpit of the South that many posters are making it out to be. It's not a horrible place to live for the next four years, and if I met and connected with someone in Memphis or found my dream job here, it probably wouldn't be the worst city to spend the rest of my life in aside from the fact that all of my family resides permanently in California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SurferJohn in Memphis, Tennessee

7 months ago

Well, after getting 5 posts in 1 day from Cali Girl I had to respond. " All " Memphians are not the same or think the same. I've lived in Ky., Chicago, Houston, the Fl. panhandle and came here to work in the music industry and wouldn't live ANYWHERE else. Mostly because everywhere like Memphis has it's pluses and minuses but from where Memphis is geographically located, you can drive to Denver, Chicago, the gulf coast, Atlanta or most anywhere on the eastern or midwest of the country. I will have been here 35 yrs. in Jan. of 2014. So these are statics and opinions. Memphis is 67% African American. 40% of them are below the poverty line. Like allot of people that migrated in the 70's from the inner city to the suburbs,Memphis is no different. Allot do live and there is allot of downtown developement, South Main St./Front St. and Mud Island which I really love and is very pretty. And the people there for the most part are very friendly and nice to get to know. Anyone that says, " Memphians " feel this way or that way, I think any intelligent person, knows what that means. As they used to say, blanket statements never cover the whole subject. The suburbs her mostly consist of small incorporated towns. Germantown, Collierville, Cordova etc.. There are other towns close by but aren't really suburbs even though some may choose to live there for their own reasons. One thing I did hear that rang very true and should apply to moving anywhere especially if you've never been there is, come and visit and stay a week or so. If your moving anywhere permanently, I'd strongly suggest renting for 6 months to a year and then feel out the area for yourself. I don't like entertaining negative things but I do need to correct a few small things. Memphis as well as 7 other cities were in the running for NFL teams, all had gotten their's over time and someone had to be last and it was Memphis and we were about to get a team. The Liberty bowl was going to be used with many improvements but

7 months ago

the NFL demanded a covered stadium. The feelings were allot of cities don't have covered stadiums so why us. In the middle of negotiations and obviously Nashville as well as anyone interested in NFL knew Memphis was about to get a team, personally, I'm a sports wimp and couldn't give a rat's a___... But I do love Memphis. So Nashville had been doing some negotiations on their own that no one knew of or was in the media, and all of a sudden, they get a team. They weren't in the running... So it blindsided many here. 1. That Nashville would do this, they were not in the 7 cities that were picked to get teams, had " backroom " or whatever you'd call them negotiations with the NFL. So some Memphis NFL fans felt like Nashville pulled one, which they did, and the NFL wasn't open about everything. Nothing was ever said about Memphis competing with Nashville concerning a team. So it's the NFL's decision, so it left allot of different feelings in allot of different people. Personally, I'm glad we got the Grizzlies. The area around the Liberty is residential and can be packed with cars during games. The Grizzlies and the FedEx Forum have been a tremendous boost to downtown, Beale street and the area as a whole. They have tremendous fan support. Most games are sold out and they were in the playoff's last year so they've done well, Not number one, but every team can't be.
Also, something no where but Memphis has is, uh hu hu.. Yep, most people from here have an Elvis story.

7 months ago

Elvis loved Memphis. He was just a young good looking kid from Tupelo that came from a very poor family, made millions, was well known for giving allot away. Contrary to popular belief, he was very spiritual, loved Gospel music, gave all that the had to God as giving it to him and quoted from the Bible many times, " To much who is given, much is expected. " And he loved and gave allot. And we all have our skeletons but I met him on the Graceland property the summer of '68. He and a friend came up on horses and talked to us, he loved his fans. He was a gentleman, and we all know he loved his mama, so who can criticize that. He was a good man. Anyway, Memphis is blessed he called this home and loved it. Graceland is the 2nd most visited home in America next to the whitehouse. I meet almost daily in my work, people from all over the world that love Memphis. They brag about how nice the people are, friendly, etc. and I'm not just talking about people that may get tips from them as being nice, I'm talking about people that live here that express Southern hospitality. Some people who live out in the suburbs think more highly of their area than Memphis, that's why they moved there. It would seem to be that where most anywhere. If I lived in San Diego, probably not going to move to LA or San Fransico. Like wise, if I live in Germantown, I probably love it and not so much Memhphis or other little towns... Let me start another page, this thing cuts you off...

7 months ago

Race relations... An ugly opinionated subject. But subjectively, slavery ended 170 yrs. ago, not really that long ago for what a God aweful ugly thing it was. Many of the descendants of the slaves, moved away to the close cities. Memphis being one of the closest. Then you have Birmingham, St. Louis, Chicago and so on. So after being tortured and every thing that came with slavery, who wouldn't ? And then even though slavery ended, prejudice did not, so as a race they've been held down. Great strides have been made but it's difficult to change people's minds so as the years have gone by, allot of old garbage has gone also. FedEx openly hires most days, not great starting pay, but for someone with no trade skills, if you stay with FedEx, you will do well. They have a great reputation as an employer here. Memphis does not have the boons or the terible drops economic wise, it does have it's problems but any other city does also, just different one. Housing is reasonable, food and gas are reasonable. yes, some places are cheaper but they're other's costs someone is not counting. Memphis being a southern town, upscale restaurants are not it's Forte. There are some but your looking at a city that's close to rural America. Who every said we don't have fresh produce, don't know where they go shopping but nothing is fartherer from the truth. We have a Farmer's market downtown every weekend where local farmer's come to sell their produce. You'll see people on the sides of the road selling watermelons, tomatoes etc., produce that they grew and now are selling it. Riply Tn. has a tomato event every year. A Miss Tomato, allot of " real " country people like most of us have never seen and if your not from here, hey are a hoot. The salt of the earth and most will " give you the shirt off of their back. " Except on Sunday's when they'll be in church and will probably invite you to their's. Fine good people. You really have to live here for a while to discover all the little things

7 months ago

that make the are unique. Try the Lucy Opera, just north of Memphis. A small version of the Grand Ole Opera, but you may like it more. Beale St. on a Sunday afternoon, Have a drink or beer and listen to some of the best music that can only be found here. And allot is free. Just take a Yellow or Checker cab home ha ha.... Come to a U of M basketball game, have dinner downtown, or a Grizzlies game. Look at the properties on Mud Island or on the south end of Main St. and you'll see what I mean. Oh, and Al Green's church is just off of Elvis Presely Blvd. and I'd bet they'd love to have you. True Memphians, would not live anywhere else and they don't feel the need to brag so someone will move here. If someone moves here, glad to have you, if they don't, come back and visit sometime. THAT'S the way it is... But is is a beautiful place to spend your life. yes, we will get from a trace to an inch or two of snow every year and about every 5=10 yrs.,we'll get 6-12 inches so we love it then.. Good look in your looking, oh, ask a cab driver whose lived here all their life, they know everything, trust me...

7 months ago

Thank you for your insights, SurferJohn. I have no desire to debate Memphis with anyone on this forum. There's no need to defend Memphis or Memphians with respect to my post. I have no negative feelings about the city or the people here. I am enjoying getting to know my new surroundings with an open mind. Just stumbled upon this thread and decided to post an unbiased reflection of what I've witnessed here and heard from those who live here. People thinking about relocating to Memphis need an honest post from someone who's just relocated. Yours is a very biased opinion of the city, and rightly so as you love it here, and Memphis is your town, and you are proud of it.

I've tried shopping for vegetables and two different Krogers, the Walmart off Germantown Parkway, Whole Foods, and The Fresh Market. I've yet to find good produce here, and my produce bill each week for my daughter and I is about $75.00. This is pricey. I will check into the Farmer's Market downtown soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

COOand President

7 months ago

I have not read so much hyperbolic crap about Memphis since I had the sense enough to leave !
I accepted an executive level post in Memphis and lived in that backward environment for over a decade until very recently. Yes I lived in east Memphis in the Cotton Plant area, then in Germantown.
The facts are that mostly only people born and reared in Memphis, or the Mississippi/Arkansas corridor think very highly of this sort of environment of recalcitrance, and under=education and complete under-exposure. By comparison, the place is beyond primitive in key areas of growth, progress and thought. It's the most insular city I've ever lived in. They don't even realize how FAR behind they are other southern cities ! Moreover, they hate being compared to other cities and environments.

Upon making any criticism, the locals look at you as if you are mad and completely out of your mind if you don't buy-in to the mindless self-aggrandizement of "Memphis", "Elvis", stupid "Memphis in May", and dangerous "Beale Street".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

COOand President

7 months ago

The crime is real in Memphis. I did not own ONE vehicle that was not vandalized. I got hit twice by uninsured stupid drivers. My car got broken into twice in my own driveway at my house in Germantown. These are just only anecdotal incidents.

Public education in Memphis is the worst I've ever seen. The political leadership in also some of the worse. White flight is off the chart. Cordova area is sliding downward for the last 10 years. Young professionals are leaving in droves. Delta Airlines closed their "Memphis Hub". Pinnacle airlines went broke and moved to St Paul. The officials gave stupid tax abatements to firms that didn't need it ! such as International Paper, and stupid Bass Pro Shops.

The airport and airport service sucks-badly. The area around the airport is, and remains a ghetto. Airline fares are insane (and have been for well over 20 years ! )

Shopping is THIRD CLASS. There is not a decent supermarket. The restaurants are substandard -chains

COOand President

7 months ago

How much nasty BBQ and cheap Chinese can you eat ? The restaurants don't serve innovative or inspired cuisine. The GRISANTI FAMILY crap ?? Spindini crap ? the crap in Cooper Young ? the Midtown crap ? (except perhaps Paulette's, maybe) HUEY"S garbage ?? The River Oaks Grill crap ?? The imposter Owen Brennan's ?? OH MY, what garbage ! Phony Italian like Brooklyn Bridge ?? OH MY !

No fresh variety of fish to be found in upscale grocery stores - Fresh Market in Germantown ? more garbage !

There is a ton to criticize about Memphis believe me.

How about the stupid labour pool ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

COOand President

7 months ago

I would NOT recommend anyone moving to Memphis TN if you had a choice of just about any other city, unless it was in Mississippi, and living in Memphis you might as well live in Mississippi ! you're already there socio-culturally and economically.

No my friends, Memphis has NOT come into the 21st century, and there are much better SOUTHERN cities

Charlotte
Nashville TN
Raleigh/Durham
Jacksonville
Greenville-Spartanburg
Savannah
Tampa

and others that are even smaller

As a seasoned professional, I would tell any other PROFESSIONAL and his family, not to WASTE his time on Memphis TN, and not expose his family to such backwardness. Your kids will get dumbed down, and dragged backwards, not forward.

Bri_H in San Diego, California

7 months ago

Cali Girl in Memphis, Tennessee said: I agree. Memphians are bad drivers , especially in weather. Be careful. Everyone will tell you this. I've also heard that Memphians freak out when it snows because snow is not a normal event in Memphis. It gets old here. It is below freezing out right now, but it rarely snows. Ice storms do happen and these are big events that bring Memphians out in flocks to the grocery store to stock up just in case the Kroger explodes or the world ends.

Memphis is a regular city like any other. It has both good and bad. Housing and Memphis Light Gas and Water are affordable. I rent a 4 bedroom house for less money than I used to pay for a 2 bedroom apartment in Southern California. Cable television and internet are expensive though they are ridiculously priced anyway. Gas is cheap as is food ; however, produce is pricey and generally not all that fresh. Sales tax is high, so your grocery bill probably won't change. Flights in and out of MEM and beauty treatments--hair cuts, mani/pedis, massages--are expensive! I haven't had a pedicure in four months; I used to get one every week. And, I only pray I can save enough money to buy a flight home to Cali once every year.

Hopefully, after reading this long, long post, you are hearing that you must figure out Memphis for yourself. Southerners have unique quirks as we all uniquely do. Come check the city out in person before you count Memphis out based on some internet troll's obtuse review. I wouldn't say the city is perfect by any means. Being a single woman living alone in the city makes me extremely nervous; however, Memphis is an interesting city, and I don't think it is the armpit of the South that many posters are making it out to be. It's not a horrible place to live for the next four years, and if I met and connected with someone in Memphis or found my dream job here, it probably wouldn't be the worst city to spend the rest of my life in aside from the fact that all of my family

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bri_H in San Diego, California

7 months ago

Thank you for all this information. We are moving getting transferred to Millington naval base and I have been searching the internet for months trying to find information on where to live and the best areas! My husband and I are in San Diego currently and loved reading your post. I will just wait till we get there to figure things out. It was so nice to see a honest/ logical post! Thanks!=)

GoEvans in Cordova, Tennessee

7 months ago

My name is Kelly Evans, with Weichert Realtors BenchMark.
I have worked with several military families in finding homes in the area.
Please feel free to give me a call or email me at goevans at outlook and I would be more then happy to give you a tour of the areas and help you find your home here.
Please give me a call if I can help you with any questions!
Weichert Realtors BenchMark
MBA, Affiliate Broker
9047 Poplar Ave Suite 102
Germantown, TN 38138
contact
HOME(4663)

GoEvans@Outlook.com Weichert Realtors in Cordova, Tennessee

7 months ago

Congrats on the move to the Memphis area! We Welcome you!
My name is Kelly Evans, with Weichert Realtors BenchMark.
I have worked with several families in finding homes in the Memphis area.
Please feel free to give me a call or email me at goevans at outlook and I would be more then happy to give you a tour of the areas and help you find your home here.
I can also give you some helpful website in doing your community and school search.
Please give me a call if I can help you with any questions!
Weichert Realtors BenchMark
MBA, Affiliate Broker
9047 Poplar Ave Suite 102
Germantown, TN 38138
contact
HOME(4663)

Memphis is AWFUL in Netherlands

7 months ago

Really it is not the worst, but it's an environment to be avoided if you have a choice. If you are transferred to the city for a job, then you have to make the best of it, but otherwise just don't believe that this place, Memphis is some sort of advanced, great city.

We have experienced many cities, and Memphis is no Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte or even Nashville. It's more of a Birmingham ALABAMA which is quite awful in many respects as well. Two cities to be avoided at most all costs if you're seeking dynamic or half-way educated people, decent race relations, and good political leaders.

BE AWARE : There are many paid posters, real estate agents, relocation companies, city officials, employees of PR firms, paid bloggers for Visitor and Convention Bureaus, that hang out to give OVERLY GLOSSY opinions about declining cities like Memphis and Birmingham. They populate many sites such as City-Data (the worst perhaps), Indeed.com, TripAdvisor, Yelp (yes, even this one), Topix, Skyscraper City, and several other "Urban so and sos.com" attempting to hawk certain cities, foment boosterism and the like.

The above-mentioned REal Estate agent at least was up front about her intentions ! Her intention is to SELL YOU A HOUSE in Memphis...period. She's not objective in the least, right ?? But at least she isn't lying about her purpose on Indeed.com, or pretending to be an unbiased poster about living in Memphis.

Everyone has opinions and that's a good thing, but let's not pretend that living in West Tennessee and CLOSE to Mississippi is some sort of overly positive choice and experience !! It's NOT. Practically all of my associates who moved there, finally saw the deficiencies and the truth, and were quite happy to leave the city behind. Memphis itself is losing its population every year. It can't retain young professionals who graduate from college there - they LEAVE each and every year as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

avoid in Hernando, Mississippi

5 months ago

after 3 years of living in desoto county mississippi and hearnando ms im warning you do not come to hernando if your not of a pure white race if so prepare to be hung by desoto county and southaven kkk aka cops the people in the hernando southaven area are the memphis area of 1968 and they are proud to be simple minded racist americans there is no equality for minorities in these areas and they really give the area a bad rep the cops or racist espically the southaven special investigation agents an desoto county sheriff agents i watched one mexican agent pretend to be a hero only to have his own co workers make racial gestures towards him and laugh at the fact he could never be a good ole boy like the others so that alone tells me this place is crooked as hell and your better off in memphis tennessee or tennessee in general but do not come to desoto county as that place is terrible we moved back to germantown where everyone gets alone and the authority is no where as bad as bad in desoto co mississippi theres no doubt that place supports the kkk

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bryson Cayson in Germantown, Tennessee

5 months ago

Host said: Where is the good life? For families? Singles?

I am a realtor! If you need help finding a home email me! BCNCOMPANIES@YAHOO.com
Bryson Cayson Kaizen Realty

Diane Adams in Everett, Massachusetts

5 months ago

I have been reading some of he posts here and it has me concerned. My oldest daughter and her husband moved to Cordova,TN for a job opportunity. I am contemplating moving to the area to be closer to my daughter and her family. My youngest daughter lives with me as we'll as her daughter/ my granddaughter who happens to be a mixed race baby. I am very concerned about my granddaughter encountering racism. We live in a suburb of Boston right now and we know all about he good and bad of big cities. I like to think that racism is not a huge problem here, although I am a white woman and probably cannot speak on that. The Cordova area that my daughter lives in is very diverse. Many of her neighbors are African American. I was there when they moved into their house and those same neighbors came by to welcome them to the neighborhood and they even spent Christmas Eve brunch at a neighbors house. I was impressed by the friendliness of the southern people. I would like to have my grandchildren grow up together and have family nearby. Am I crazy to consider moving there with a mixed race granddaughter?

Divaj31 in Starkville, Mississippi

3 months ago

Mrs. Whitehaven in Memphis, Tennessee said: Memphis is beautiful and have a lot of places to have fun clean fun for children , families,single parents. Where ever you go crime is everywhere. When you arrive in Memphis only you can make you happy. Example:Visit Elvis home go down Beale Street take a ride on the Trolly visit Historic places go to shows at the Orphem Threater and lots of eating place my favorit Marlow's on Elvis Presley I hope you enjoy and have fun.

Amen crime is everywhere! I want to move to Memphis too my girls and I went there to visit years ago and loved.When some people I know and families always got something negative to say about Memphis.Crimes and stuff happens every where.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

divaj31 in Columbus, Mississippi

3 months ago

I would like to move to Memphis too yeah i heard bad things about Memphis but crimes do happen everywhere you go its not just Memphis.I live in a little town called Columbus MS and crimes happen here.But I would like to know what would be some nice areas to for a single mom? Any suggestions.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.