Best companies to work for in Milwaukee?

Comments (10)

Host

What companies are fueling growth in Milwaukee? Why are they a great employer?

Jim Hintz

96 months ago

what are the best companies to work for and what do they do?

Colleen Kwong in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

96 months ago

VITAS Innovative Hospice Care, which provides end of life care in homes, skilled nursing facilities, assisted living care, hospitals--wherever persons live--is a wonderful place to work. My co-workers are dedicated to providing great care, the work itself is rewarding, and management is honest, caring, compassionate, and ethical.

Susan Jawson in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

91 months ago

Jim Hintz said: what are the best companies to work for and what do they do?

Would like to know the best companies in Milwaukee to work for.

PW in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

91 months ago

None. They don't exist...submit to the Third Reich and do as you are told, wear what they tell you (i.e. "look professional" Ann Taylor/Macy's Wardrobe with the K-mart salary they offer)...you'll be fine.

Milwaukee's job market is 2nd worst in the nation, Detroit is first.

Valerie in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

85 months ago

PW in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: None. They don't exist...submit to the Third Reich and do as you are told, wear what they tell you (i.e. "look professional" Ann Taylor/Macy's Wardrobe with the K-mart salary they offer)...you'll be fine.

Per the Journel Sentinel yesterday, that statement is completely false. Our job market is actually growing due to an increase of jobs in several industries, including IT and manufacturing. You might want to considering reading up on the local news and local business.

Mindy in De Forest, Wisconsin

69 months ago

Valerie in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Per the Journel Sentinel yesterday, that statement is completely false. Our job market is actually growing due to an increase of jobs in several industries, including IT and manufacturing. You might want to considering reading up on the local news and local business.

There are articles in magazines and news journels that profile several Wisconsin cites and dub them as "the best places in the USA to live". These articles are often bogus. For instance: Appleton Wisconsin was featured in a major news publication as one of these best places to live. I agree that Appleton, as well as the entire Fox Cities area is one of the safest places to live, probably in the whole country. But the job situation is just horrible! This Sunday's paper has absolutely nothing in it for jobs. A couple of minimum wage cleaning jobs that are part-time, and jobs through Manpower which are also minimum wage jobs. Many, many Wisconsin cities have nothing for work out there. The stores are not hiring until possibly October for the holidays and then it's just seasonal. When you do find a job it is usually not what you were told it would be and it stinks.

So if people say that Milwaukee Wisconsin has low paying jobs, and not many of them - believe it! The proof is that we live in this state and we know it's bad for jobs.

Gronk in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

53 months ago

PW in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: None. They don't exist...submit to the Third Reich and do as you are told, wear what they tell you (i.e. "look professional" Ann Taylor/Macy's Wardrobe with the K-mart salary they offer)...you'll be fine.

I have to admit that Milwaukee's job market is terrible. I am currently underemployed(to say the least) and have been looking on and off for about 3 years now (I have been working in a professional capacity for 19 years). I picked up my undergrad from UW in engineering and my MBA in town. The pay here stinks, alot of the companies are very lack luster and just as many have bad reputations that have stuck in some cases for decades. I don't see it getting better at all (ever for that matter). Time to relocate.

SMillerUWO in St. Petersburg, Florida

53 months ago

I am less than 2 years out of college and have had no time finding jobs in Wisconsin, including Milwaukee and the Fox Cities (even though I initially turned these jobs to move out of state). The Fox Cities have a wealth of jobs for professionals, especially in the manufacturing (paper) and professional services industries.

Several of my friends moved to the Milwaukee area after graduation and are in sales and marketing. Look for larger companies in the food industries (Gehls, Roundys) as well as IT, Financial Services (Northwestern Mutual) and Healthcare (GE Healthcare), as well as retail (Kohls).

I recommend that you get past the typical job boards and start networking with professionals in the area. Try an organization like AMA or Jaycees or something specific to your area.

garged in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

47 months ago

Never worked there myself, but everyone I've ever met who has worked there raves about Northwestern Mutual.

From personal experience, were I you, I'd steer WAY clear of AT&T.

gar

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.