Montgomery culture

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Food, entertainment, shopping, local traditions - where is it all happening in Montgomery?

Reply - Report abuse

Ros in Montgomery, Alabama

93 months ago

Montgomery, Alabama has every food resturant chain from upscale to fast food BK, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Crystals, Churchs, Whataburger, too many to name. Breakfast foods Waffle house, Ihop, dinners. Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Southern BBQ spots, Outback, Ryans-Great home cooking, Buffet style, Seafood etc go to I65 to I85 exit 6, 9, or exit 11. The only place they don't have in Montgomery, Alabama is Fridays TGIF which closed you have to go to Birmingham. As for shopping they are located at the same exits. Entertainment is a little different, check the colleges or you have to check the local newspaper for that. The shakespeake festival and some other concerts are coming, now! Montgomery, Alabama must seriously develop a real downtown, with so many hotels coming to the area. The downtown consist of city agencies with a few resturants (Panni shop is Great) and a baseball stadium. I found one place to get a drink listen to music and relax among professionals. Enteratinment is truly a lost revenue here most people go to Alburn, Atlanta or Birmingham. I am still looking for some safe fun.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Galesburg, Illinois

86 months ago

Ros in Montgomery, Alabama said: Montgomery, Alabama has every food resturant chain from upscale to fast food BK, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Crystals, Churchs, Whataburger, too many to name. Breakfast foods Waffle house, Ihop, dinners. Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Southern BBQ spots, Outback, Ryans-Great home cooking, Buffet style, Seafood etc go to I65 to I85 exit 6, 9, or exit 11. The only place they don't have in Montgomery, Alabama is Fridays TGIF which closed you have to go to Birmingham. As for shopping they are located at the same exits. Entertainment is a little different, check the colleges or you have to check the local newspaper for that. The shakespeake festival and some other concerts are coming, now! Montgomery, Alabama must seriously develop a real downtown, with so many hotels coming to the area. The downtown consist of city agencies with a few resturants (Panni shop is Great) and a baseball stadium. I found one place to get a drink listen to music and relax among professionals. Enteratinment is truly a lost revenue here most people go to Alburn, Atlanta or Birmingham. I am still looking for some safe fun.

You seem quite familiar with the Montgomery area. I'm planning to relocate there in the Spring, I'm retired but my son will join me and he will be looking for work. I will probably need some part time work in a retail store or something also. My question, what is a safe area within 30 miles or so to look to relo that would also have some commerce or some job opps? I'm not concerned about school districts. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JustMe in Reading, United Kingdom

86 months ago

Scott in Galesburg, Illinois said: You seem quite familiar with the Montgomery area. I'm planning to relocate there in the Spring, I'm retired but my son will join me and he will be looking for work. I will probably need some part time work in a retail store or something also. My question, what is a safe area within 30 miles or so to look to relo that would also have some commerce or some job opps? I'm not concerned about school districts. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

I used to live in Montgomery and was just back for a visit. The best area in Montgomery itself is east Montgomery, near East Chase shopping center and Taylor Road. Good bets are also Prattville and Millbrook, which are very close by. Lots of new businesses have sprung up in those cities, so you should have quite a few options working in retail (and plenty of places to shop if you lived in one of those cities).

For more info, look through the Alabama forums at city-data.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

carrot top in Montgomery, Alabama

82 months ago

Hello,

For anyone who is looking to relocate to Montgomery, AL let me provide some local background.

I moved here with my family last June. I can tell you that it is a superficially friendly environment. If you do not have any ties to this area, the only people who will be interested in getting to know you or your family, will be others who are not from the area or someone who will personally gain from their association with you and your social economical status.

Much emphasis is placed on who you know, where you live, what kind of car you drive, what school your children attend and which county club you belong to.

Another important piece of information that you will need to be prepared to answer is "Do you have a church home? or Where do you go to church?" ....unless of course it is football season and the first thing locals want to know is where you pledge your allegiance...Auburn or Alabama. This is usually a subject that is brought up within the first 30 minutes of meeting.

Please don't get me wrong, Montgomery for all practical purposes is an OK place to live as long as you do not require a night life. The Shakespheare Theatre park and the zoo is nice. Biscuits baseball is fun. There are very few independent restaurants...mostly chains. For the boutique shopper, there are plenty but be prepared to pay. Aside from an outdated, run down Toys R Us, there are not any toy stores. If you are a runner, you will need to find a way to get good running shoes because everything here only sells medium grade shoes.
Ladies, expect to pay $45-50 for a haircut and style for an average job. I could go on and on...

If you do not move here with a job offer, then be prepared to wait...but that is a whole other topic of discussion.

Best of luck in your decision and I would love to hear from others who share an opinion on this subject.

Regards

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.