The clock is ticking....Need help !!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

posthinkn in Toms River, New Jersey

82 months ago

Here is my problem, I retired early from a Company that relocated after thirty years. With only some college and little transferable skills. I have a small pension and received my health plan for life, which I know is a big plus. In any case I went to work again in a customer service job, Stayed one year and hated it, lots of presure low pay.(preditorial Practices) My son got me into a maintenance position and found I loved it, realized office work was not for me,( at least that one) but after three and a half years the company ran into financial problems and I ended up geting laid off again. Now its only been short of two months and I realize the unemployment is a lot worse than I thought. I sent out about 50 resumes received three interviews two customer service and one maintenance, and neither job made an offer. I have worked since I was 17 non stop and now close to 57 I feel like a fish out of water. Thank god my kids are grown and on their own and my wife still works, but boy this is an ugly feeling. You wait for the phone to ring ( which is not often ) and spend your day on the computer looking at the same jobs from site to site. As my sign in says I remain positive, maybe just a little less today ( LOL) I continue to look hard rather than sit back and wait until the benefits are exhausted, but wonder if I should go to an agency, are there any in the Toms River area that maybe fruitful? Complicating things are my limited experience in both fields, 2 years in customer service and 3 years in buiding maintenance, and the employer gets resume"s with tons of experience, plus I know that my age is a factor for some if not most employers. So there it is..... I can use some advice as to the best course to follow. Should I look to temp or hold out, should I look for part time? Does anyone recomend an agency in a nearby town (From Toms River Area) that is worth going to??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.