Billingual Discrimination - Spanish

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

USAFA1 in Washington, District of Columbia

43 months ago

Learn a skill that someone will pay for and get over your envy. I speak four languages and translate professionally (I am not Hispanic). There is no discrimination, just people who are more qualified than you to serve the population in your area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

ragerage in Storm Lake, Iowa

42 months ago

come on - just find what you are good at and you'll be fine.

Dee in Bronx, New York said: Frustrated with the majority of all customer service/ entry level jobs in this city requiring or "preferring" bilingual employees to speak spanish/english. For the hispanic community, this is great as their natural skillsets can be put to work immediately with a little work experience. On the other hand the black community is suffering, the only jobs available is dirt paying jobs and lifting boxes for a living while billingual speaking individuals can atleast earn a decent living working in various customer service rep jobs making $12.00+/hr.

Once these bilingual workers work their way into management they will only hire Hispanics and continue to alienate black people from gaining employment.

For example take a look at Cablevision's Call center main page:
cablevision.com/careers/jobs/call_center.jsp

EVERY SINGLE PERSON PHOTOGRAPHED is of Hispanic origin. The white guy at the bottom doesn't count as he is tech support and these positions are only stationed in Long Island.

Now I have pointed out cablevision as one example but there are many companies who are practicing these discriminatory policies hidden under "preferred" skillsets. I would atleast respect it more if they just labeled it under required because they have no interest in hiring anyone at these companies if you only speak english. But doing that will initiate civil action.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Rosetta in Bronx, New York

41 months ago

What Dee stated in her comment is unfortunately true and I have seen it at higher levels than entry level positions. The tripling of the hispanic population within the coming years will leave the African-American community with a harder road in being able to obtain employment - even with our degrees. Yes indeed, the hispanics I see at work and thru-out the City only hire other hispanics. Yet, the management at this point is pushing for bilingual candidates and this will fill the organizations as such. It has nothing to do with skillset.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Angelika22 in New York

40 months ago

With more illegal aliens coming to this country and not speaking English and companies catering to them it will get harder and harder for ALL people whites included and anyone else not hispanic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Aspirant Anonymous in Massachusetts

34 months ago

I am, by American definition of standards, a Hispanic white person. Born from a German mother and Spanish-Italian father and raised in Latin America (for some 13 years of my life). I always attended international schools and mingled with the sons of other westerners. After this period, I moved to and have resided in the US(13 yrs). Regardless of how much I identify with the European/American culture, my ethnicity binds me to the Latino category. I sense that the Latino's trial-and-error stereotype may haunt my professional reputation. I believe that employers shouldn't have to ask the race/ethnicity question and, perhaps even better, not even be able to see employee's names in applications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Remi in Brooklyn, New York

34 months ago

Dee in Bronx, New York said: Frustrated with the majority of all customer service / entry level jobs in this city requiring or "preferring" bilingual employees to speak spanish/english. For the hispanic community , this is great as their natural skillsets can be put to work immediately with a little work experience. On the other hand the black community is suffering, the only jobs available is dirt paying jobs and lifting boxes for a living while billingual speaking individuals can atleast earn a decent living working in various customer service rep jobs making $12.00+/ hr .

Once these bilingual workers work their way into management they will only hire Hispanics and continue to alienate black people from gaining employment.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON PHOTOGRAPHED is of Hispanic origin. The white guy at the bottom doesn't count as he is tech support and these positions are only stationed in Long Island.

Now I have pointed out cablevision as one example but there are many companies who are practicing these discriminatory policies hidden under "preferred" skillsets. I would atleast respect it more if they just labeled it under required because they have no interest in hiring anyone at these companies if you only speak english. But doing that will initiate civil action.

They alienate white people too...even ethnic whites like myself (ie italian, greek)...so I definitely feel your pain. I agree with you. Speaking a second language is definitely an asset, but it should not be a requirement to speak spanish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

I also wanted to add that Hispanic/Latino is an ethnic identity, but it is NOT A RACE. Some Italian and Greeks are darker and ethnic you know. Also, a "Latino" can have blonde hair and blue eyes, just as they can be dark with indigenous and/or african features. Ignorant people do not understand this here in the US. Once again, Hispanic is not a race.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

34 months ago

I have had instances where,because I am an olive skinned Italian American, they assume I speak spanish, but when they find out I am not, they have no interest in hiring me because they judge me as an outsider. This my friends is DISCRIMINATION.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

34 months ago

Remi in Brooklyn, New York said: They alienate white people too...even ethnic whites like myself (ie italian, greek)...so I definitely feel your pain. I agree with you. Speaking a second language is definitely an asset, but it should not be a requirement to speak spanish.

1. Stay away from heathcare. Spanish is a requirement now.
2. When you search on keywords put in "and not bilingual and not spanish". This will eliminate about 80% of those jobs"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Rodney in Albuquerque, New Mexico

34 months ago

Dee in Bronx, New York said: Frustrated with the majority of all customer service / entry level jobs in this city requiring or "preferring" bilingual employees to speak spanish/english. For the hispanic community , this is great as their natural skillsets can be put to work immediately with a little work experience. On the other hand the black community is suffering, the only jobs available is dirt paying jobs and lifting boxes for a living while billingual speaking individuals can atleast earn a decent living working in various customer service rep jobs making $12.00+/ hr .

I'm really sorry to hear about this happening to Dee. I'm kind of curious - have you given any thought to working for yourself?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Brooklyn, New York

34 months ago

Remi in Brooklyn, New York said: I also wanted to add that Hispanic/Latino is an ethnic identity, but it is NOT A RACE. Some Italian and Greeks are darker and ethnic you know. Also, a "Latino" can have blonde hair and blue eyes, just as they can be dark with indigenous and/or african features. Ignorant people do not understand this here in the US. Once again, Hispanic is not a race.

I understand what you are saying but most people who are "Hispanics" themselves don't know this. But its really not the point of what Dee was trying to say which is very true and with the rise in the latino populations will only make it worst. And this collation the the speak about between the two groups Hispanics and African American(non-hispanic) is false. And the black population will loose the most as usual.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jay in Brooklyn, New York

34 months ago

Rodney in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: I'm really sorry to hear about this happening to Dee. I'm kind of curious - have you given any thought to working for yourself?

Really working for yourself thats your contribution, more than 90 percent of the population does not work for themselves it virtually impossible , you clearly don't understand economics. And you also clearly assumes that dee can just go out an work for himself, to suggest that as the solution to this major problem is thoughtless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Misswifie in Brooklyn, New York

33 months ago

What about that guy who sells candy on the train and makes 55k?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

27 months ago

Valerie Gulston in New York, New York said: My advice is two-fold: go to the assessment.com website and take their free personality assessment test which will provide you with a list of ten careers for which you are ideally suited. Suggestion 2: take a conversational Spanish class! I am an African-American female who was initially turned down for a high school teaching job with the DOE. However, once they realized that I spoke conversational Spanish, I was hired and stayed there 18 years. During my last six months there , I worked as a Spanish substitute frequently, helping kids with Level 1 Spanish assignments. I would like to thank and acknowledge my high school Spanish teacher, Gloria Parker from the Bronx High School of Science for teaching me Level 1 Spanish. I had no idea how helpful it would prove to be later in my career! By: Valerie Gulston
Send e-mail responses to valclaris@ aol.com

I tell students that there are only two languages to take in school: Spanish or Chinese.

If you are going to work for others, take Spanish. If you are going to work for yourself, take Chinese - that is your market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

GIA in New York, New York

22 months ago

ragerage in Storm Lake, Iowa said: come on - just find what you are good at and you'll be fine.

Dee in Bronx, New York said: Frustrated with the majority of all customer service/entry level jobs in this city requiring or "preferring" bilingual employees to speak spanish/english... the black community is suffering, the only jobs available is dirt paying jobs and lifting boxes for a living while billingual speaking individuals can atleast earn a decent living working in various customer service rep jobs making $12.00+/hr. Once these bilingual workers work their way into management they will only hire Hispanics and continue to alienate black people from gaining employment.

I speak fluent Spanish and went to Cable Vision. Their test to evaluate so called "proficiency" consists of listening to colloquial/slang South American conversation snippets on the phone with the narrators recording SLURRING THEIR WORDS and talking too fast. NOW HOW ABOUT GIVING A REAL PROFICIENCY TEST WITH PROPER GRAMMAR. They won't, because most are not proficient in Spanish, ONLY SPANGLISH/SPANSH EBONICS anyway as this is the equivalent to BLACK EBONICS. So, you score high on the test if you speak Spebonics. What a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Bluetea in Texas said: 1. Stay away from heathcare. Spanish is a requirement now.
2. When you search on keywords put in "and not bilingual and not spanish". This will eliminate about 80% of those jobs"

Bilingual not Spanish is better opportunity when people put locks on the industry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

22 months ago

Rosetta in Bronx, New York said: What Dee stated in her comment is unfortunately true and I have seen it at higher levels than entry level positions. The tripling of the hispanic population within the coming years will leave the African-American community with a harder road in being able to obtain employment - even with our degrees. Yes indeed, the hispanics I see at work and thru-out the City only hire other hispanics. Yet, the management at this point is pushing for bilingual candidates and this will fill the organizations as such. It has nothing to do with skillset.

In Corporate fields, there is usually no time for discrimination on that level, since everyone knows time and skills are money. Whenever I apply for Corporate positions, I usually am not concerned about this. Food service and retail usually give me a harder time when applying for "Bilingual Spanish" positions. Corporate is more open. I am multilingual and Black.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jk in Astoria, New York

21 months ago

USAFA1 in Washington, District of Columbia said: Learn a skill that someone will pay for and get over your envy. I speak four languages and translate professionally (I am not Hispanic). There is no discrimination, just people who are more qualified than you to serve the population in your area.

Welcome to the lunacy that is a multiculti liberal loon society. It's not cultural transplantation brought on by unfettered immigration of the lowest skilled and least intelligent. It's "your fault" for not adapting to the foreign hordes.

I better open a tinfoil hat business, they'll sell like hotcakes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tam in Los Angeles, California

19 months ago

This is a huge problem!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.