Billingual Discrimination - Spanish

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

USAFA1 in Washington, District of Columbia

60 months ago

Learn a skill that someone will pay for and get over your envy. I speak four languages and translate professionally (I am not Hispanic). There is no discrimination, just people who are more qualified than you to serve the population in your area.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Rodney in Albuquerque, New Mexico

51 months ago

Dee in Bronx, New York said: Frustrated with the majority of all customer service / entry level jobs in this city requiring or "preferring" bilingual employees to speak spanish/english. For the hispanic community , this is great as their natural skillsets can be put to work immediately with a little work experience. On the other hand the black community is suffering, the only jobs available is dirt paying jobs and lifting boxes for a living while billingual speaking individuals can atleast earn a decent living working in various customer service rep jobs making $12.00+/ hr .

Once these bilingual workers work their way into management they will only hire Hispanics and continue to alienate black people from gaining employment.

For example take a look at Cablevision's Call center main page:
cablevision.com/careers/jobs/call_center.jsp

EVERY SINGLE PERSON PHOTOGRAPHED is of Hispanic origin. The white guy at the bottom doesn't count as he is tech support and these positions are only stationed in Long Island.

Now I have pointed out cablevision as one example but there are many companies who are practicing these discriminatory policies hidden under "preferred" skillsets. I would atleast respect it more if they just labeled it under required because they have no interest in hiring anyone at these companies if you only speak english. But doing that will initiate civil action.

I'm really sorry to hear about this happening to Dee. I'm kind of curious - have you given any thought to working for yourself?

Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

16 months ago

nycgirl in Brooklyn, New York said: hispanics are the lowest paid minority, and chinese are a larger immigrant group flooding the united states....

My daughter says that the TOP two languages that people are taking today at her college are: 1. Spanish and 2. Chinese.

My daughter speaks Spanish fluently as she has had four years of it. I don't speak a word of it.

Reply - Report abuse

sanejayne in Tujunga, California

4 months ago

All I see is immigrants are benefiting and having jobs for their families, while people that were born in the United States are discriminated in their own country. And, yes it is a from of national origin discrimination. Until it is recognized for what it is, citizens of the United States are becoming homeless for not being able to acquire employment. This is one of the most outrageous forms of unfair workplace practices there is.

Reply - Report abuse

Joe Earl in Raleigh, North Carolina

4 months ago

sanejayne in Tujunga, California said: All I see is immigrants are benefiting and having jobs for their families, while people that were born in the United States are discriminated in their own country. And, yes it is a from of national origin discrimination. Until it is recognized for what it is, citizens of the United States are becoming homeless for not being able to acquire employment. This is one of the most outrageous forms of unfair workplace practices there is.

I don't think immigrants are being hired just because they are immigrants. I think they are being hired because they have something that the employer values. Either their bilingual ability, their work ethic, etc. America is a country of immigrants so let's stop whining about the latest immigrants and retool so that we can be competitive in the job market. Any parent who isn't ensuring that their child is learning more than one language is guilty of child abuse. What's more, as a adults we should be learning a second or third language ourselves if we want to remain competitive in the job market. And with so many free language learning resources available on the net to learn there is no reason why a person can't do it. Check out the following article the-undergrad.com/2016/07/24/why-you-should-learn-a-new-language/

Joe Earl, www.the-undergrad.com

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.