Help seeking a job, AUTOMOTIVE TECH/MECHANIC RELATED

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

samwllns3232 in Brooklyn, New York

25 months ago

Hi all,

I'm a recent College graduate, majoring in Automotive Service and I've (to no avail) endlessly applied for an Entry Level Automotive Tech/Mechanic job, with the worst luck ever. Now I know that times are hard and things like that, I'm perfectly aware that there are millions out there looking for a job (good luck by the by, because I really don't wish anyone to be in my situation), but I'm drowning in student loan debt, plus expenses and I am in a desperate need of a job. So to those in the field, what did you do to get your job? Or to those who are not in the field, but know someone on the inside, is there any other way to apply for an Automotive Tech job nowadays, besides the usual "I know a friend, that's looking for someone like you" (I really don't know anyone either)? I've also gained my NYS Inspector's License, and still no luck. Currently trying to work for the ASE Certification, but that's what brings me to my problem. No experience, no pass. Honestly, I sometimes give up the search and come back to it with the hopes that I can get an employer or 2 to call me back for an interview. Even a friend of mine has a job and he absolutely is not certified at all (No ASE/Inspector's Certification). So is it that the certified, educated people who can do the job get rejected for being too good? Or is this just some crazy phase? Any advice/comments/websites/places in NYC would be great... Oh and I apologize for the long paragraph, I'm just really eager to start working asap, it's driving me crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RebelMechanic in Chicago, Illinois

22 months ago

I understand where you coming from I went to school for auto and diesel and took the ford fact program so am ford cerified. and I have 1 ASE. still no work can't pay my student loans or bills I don't know what to do either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.