Relocating to NY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Frenchieinnyc in San Francisco, California

67 months ago

Hello to all,

I am relocating w/family to nyc in about a month. My husband had a great job offer. Unfortunately I need to quit my job and I hate the idea of job hunting with this economy.
Any tips? Just curious how things work on the east coast. Here we use craigslist a lot, but I do not see much on there for NY.

Thanks for your comments!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

miserableguyinnc in Garner, North Carolina

67 months ago

hey as you can see from my user name that i am trying to get out of this state and go back home to ny asap. I dont know how san francisco is but in nyc theres tons of places to get jobs and you dont even have to drive to it. as long as your in the five boroughs youll be alright. and dont use craigslist in ny theres nothing but scammers on there over here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Grant013 in New York, New York

67 months ago

I have had decent interviews via craigslist and local newspapers.New York Times always had good job ads.Not lately though.Problem is that everything is combined with or is strictly on Monster, Careerbuilder, HotJobs and all those other recruiter and HR sites.Temp agencies and headhunters love those.Many of those jobs are not real (employer posted jobs)or are temp jobs advertised as perm jobs.I would stay away from those boards unless you have 10 years or more at a Fortune500 firm and can negotiate your way through anything and anyone.With a resume like that you can buy your own ticket anywhere.For the average person it's better to do own research and cold fax, cold mail or cold email.New York is full of more scammers than you can imagine, especially in this current economy - they're vultures waiting to pounce on desperate job seekers.Just need to pay attention that's all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.