Who would want to hire me?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Andrew G in Basking Ridge, New Jersey

33 months ago

I have been out of college for almost two years now. I am 24 and have a Bachelor of the Arts in communication studies from a state university. I am trying to relocate to the NYC area and I would appreciate any help or advice. The job search has been rough as the job market is so vast and my work experience is not completely related to my future career goals.

I have 7 years of experience in the food service industry. All of them are with pizza shops, Pizza Hut and Domino's. 3 of those years are in management and 1 year is as a general manager (running my own store). I've since realized that my life and my future will suffer drastically if I stay in this business. The only problem is my resume is full of experience in the QSR industry and I'm applying to positions in HR, Account Management/Customer Service, etc. I have a professional resume making my previous experience look as presentable as possible. However, it doesn't change my experience and I think it is hard for employers to bridge the gap between my experience and the open position.

I guess what I would like to know is what kind of employers would actually prefer someone with my education and level of experience. I do not wish to stay in or anywhere near the food service industry but I am open to any advice or suggestions from anyone. Thanks for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Satellite Provider

33 months ago

Mail me to my email: loftygood@gmail.com
I've got an offer for you with a lucrative pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

YoungAndJaded in New York, New York

33 months ago

Give this kid some useful advice; stop trying to scam the poor guy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

good in Accra, Ghana

33 months ago

who is talking about scam here young fool jaled

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Somerville, Massachusetts

33 months ago

right there with you, buddy. Except I have a master's in comm, which is just as useless to getting hired. 400+ applications later, no employer can seem to understand that communications means communications with others, which means that I could be an excellent project manager almost anywhere. So I sit as a $12/hr merchandiser.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lex Kul in Greenwood, Delaware

33 months ago

please contact me : lex.kul.444@gmail.com
have a good idea for u ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Suchit Malla in Lamoni, Iowa

31 months ago

I am an international student and I am looking for job in New York. I need a job badly as I have to p for my college. If anyone can give me job of any kind, I am willing to do it. Mail me at : suchit_079@hotmail.com if anyone has job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

icelily20 in Brooklyn, New York

30 months ago

Andrew G in Basking Ridge, New Jersey said: I have been out of college for almost two years now. I am 24 and have a Bachelor of the Arts in communication studies from a state university. I am trying to relocate to the NYC area and I would appreciate any help or advice. The job search has been rough as the job market is so vast and my work experience is not completely related to my future career goals.

I have 7 years of experience in the food service industry. All of them are with pizza shops, Pizza Hut and Domino's. 3 of those years are in management and 1 year is as a general manager (running my own store). I've since realized that my life and my future will suffer drastically if I stay in this business . The only problem is my resume is full of experience in the QSR industry and I'm applying to positions in HR , Account Management/ Customer Service , etc. I have a professional resume making my previous experience look as presentable as possible. However, it doesn't change my experience and I think it is hard for employers to bridge the gap between my experience and the open position.

I guess what I would like to know is what kind of employers would actually prefer someone with my education and level of experience. I do not wish to stay in or anywhere near the food service industry but I am open to any advice or suggestions from anyone. Thanks for your time.

Become a teacher.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

madcityvent in Madison, Wisconsin

28 months ago

You can start your own business. I can help. Check us out. www.dryerventbiznow.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Ian-itti in New York, New York

18 months ago

Have you thought about teaching abroad?

As a degree holder, you would qualify for many jobs. In some cases you will recieve a free apartment and free airfare. This makes it a fun way to travel, help others and make a living.
If you want to learn more, contact me at ian@becomeenglishteachers.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NotSettling in Lake Norman, North Carolina

18 months ago

At times toliet paper seems more useful than the paper that degrees are printed on.

Sad but true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.