What what is the secret to employment in Pensacola Florida?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Amarie Bell in Pensacola, Florida

45 months ago

I'm very well educated, and I go on the interviews dressed interview ready, and ask open-ended questions as I'm supposed to, but I never hear from these interviewers again. What am I doing wrong?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

juwick in Dallas, Texas

45 months ago

Hi..I am from Pensacola and so is my extended family. The reason I feel you can not find a job there is due to the fact there is really not a lot of Intelligent jobs to be sought after. I really love Gulf Breeze (actually where I was from) and Pensacola Beach, but could not find a decent paying salary to live on. I came to the conclusion that if you did not own a bar/restaurant, have a commercial fishing/shrimping business, or have a job at the navel base in P'cola, then you will not be able to afford to live there on any other salary. Sad, but true. I live in the Fort Worth, Texas area....P'cola Beach is not just a vacation destination for me. Good Luck and hope things work out for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pudwink in Cortland, New York

37 months ago

Amarie Bell in Pensacola, Florida said: I'm very well educated, and I go on the interviews dressed interview ready, and ask open-ended questions as I'm supposed to, but I never hear from these interviewers again. What am I doing wrong?

Ms. Bell, What is your age and educational profile and field of expertise? I secured a state job with DLES in the mid 90s in Pensacola, and it started with networking, persistent application submittals, thank you letters/cards, and more persistence. Get involved in a behavioral support group that will hold you accountable to productive job search activity. W/O support, people that are unemployed or underemployed tend to give up. The avg job seeker takes 221 days to secure work in this economy, so don't let a few "no-hires" get you down. I am on 80 online applications, with overqualified in most scenarios, and still "no-hire". The fact that you are getting into the interview is a very good sign. In sum, good portfolio with one-two page max resume, three WRITTEN letters of reference on former employer letterhead, any PR pieces you were published in, Networking daily with some support group, even if you create it, volunteerism and what are known as "informational interviews" to beat the hiring curve, and an ability to answer the response to your open-ended questions with a " I'm exceptionally qualified and likeable " answer are just a few ideas. I teach job seekers to ask " What three (3) qualities are you looking for in the person you want to hire? (take notes on the answer to this/your question), then, when they respond, give them the fact that you possess those qualities, delineate them, and ILLUSTRATE THEM..illustrating with real life examples that proves you possess those traits is a knock out in interviews.. I am conducting a national job search now at 58 with good education, great portfolio, and about 1500 miles of distance from where I need to be to land that job. It will work out Amarie! God is with you!

Pudwink in Cortland, New York

37 months ago

One final thought. The concept that "there are no jobs out there" is just one of the many job seeking myths that persist, when unemployed people gather together ..or share their ideas. The fact is that with a 9.6 unemployment rate...converted to about 18% FUNCTIONAL UNEMPLOYMENT...The glass is at LEAST 80% FULL, and, there are tons of jobs out there. We need to put in at least thirty (30) hours per week in working at getting the job we have a passion for, and are qualified for. The three to ten hours a week approach will not get the job search job done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Juststuckhere in Milton, Florida

35 months ago

The person who said the wages are not high enough to live in a favorable Place even with job experience and college degree is 100 percent correct!! And the employers are not willing to pay higher wages. They seems as if they are stuck in last century wages in panhandle of Florida. Orlando wages are higher , I have been told.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.