Moving to Phoenix - Looking for Work??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 140)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

virgocalifornia in Moreno Valley, California

77 months ago

What would you use (Internet, newspaper, friends, family, etc.) to find work in Phoenix? What resource have you found to be effective in your job search in Phoenix? Where you go to find out which employers are hiring?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

University Placement in Tempe, Arizona

76 months ago

what can you do/what type of work are you looking for? i might be able to get something for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Monique Cote in Mesa, Arizona

76 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

newman9com in Tempe, Arizona

76 months ago

University Placement in Tempe, Arizona said: what can you do/what type of work are you looking for? i might be able to get something for you.

im looking for work as well. i have a BS in justice studies but still have no luck. i played college and pro basketball, so i have a strong sports background

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Gregory Williams in Chicago, Illinois

76 months ago

I'm looking for work as well. I have a BA in Communications from Loyola University. Looking to relocate Arizona and background in sport college Basketball and sim pro ball.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Gregory Williams in Chicago, Illinois

76 months ago

virgocalifornia in Moreno Valley, California said: What would you use (Internet, newspaper, friends, family, etc.) to find work in Phoenix? What resource have you found to be effective in your job search in Phoenix? Where you go to find out which employers are hiring?

Internet mostly, phone calls to family

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angelo Smith (National Hiring Manager) in Harvey, Illinois

76 months ago

Gregory Williams in Chicago, Illinois said: I'm looking for work as well. I have a BA in Communications from Loyola University. Looking to relocate Arizona and background in sport college Basketball and sim pro ball.

Mr. Williams, My name is Angelo Smith. I'm a hiring manager for Cobol Consulting Inc.. If possible forward your resume and contact information to Asmithsr2@hotmail.com for employment opportunities immediatly available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Phoenix, Arizona

74 months ago

I just moved from WI and looking for work. I have 13 years experience in optical work, and customer service and 4 years in management.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

worker in Glendale, Arizona

74 months ago

I've got about 20 years of experience and have been told I am overqualified so many times it's not funny. I have a BA (also some master's level studies). I make a third of what I used to make (before I was laid off due to globalization). At first I turned my nose up at the low-paying jobs, but I have since taken one. At the company I work at now, workers are regularly training Indian workers (from India). --The Phoenix office has lost dozens of jobs in the last months to India. It's going to continue.
Globalization at work. Goodbye middle class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ian stewart in Phoenix, Arizona

72 months ago

Moved to Phoenix from Scotland and been unable to find a job that meets my needs. I have BA Business Administration and completed Pgd in IT Project Management. Anyone have any ideas about employment opportunities??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Robert Lukacs in Phoenix, Arizona

71 months ago

ian stewart in Phoenix, Arizona said: Moved to Phoenix from Scotland and been unable to find a job that meets my needs. I have BA Business Administration and completed Pgd in IT Project Management. Anyone have any ideas about employment opportunities??

Ian I moved here about a year and a half ago from Califonia. My salary dropped from 85K to 40K plus commission. Tben a month ago I got laid off from that job. Now I work for 12 bucks an hour at a call center. That experience seems to be the norm out here. The economy has hit Phoenix very hard. Simply put, there are no jobs here. Everything pays between 10 and 12 bucks an hour. If you are lucky you can get 15 an hour. There are simply to many overqualified people here looking for work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

deadend in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

Hey guys,
If your looking for any kind of work at all,anywhere,
Your not going to find it.Geographical locations have nothing to do with available employment.
All the years of government and big buisness greed have proved correct in what I have been telling people for the last 30 years,were screwed.
The government has let all kinds of well educated people in this country,as well as alot of uneducated .And they are currently holding most of the jobs and new buisness licences.
Our troops havent even come back from the war yet and they need jobs too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ayeshaali in Flagstaff, Arizona

70 months ago

University Placement in Tempe, Arizona said: what can you do/what type of work are you looking for? i might be able to get something for you.

i just moved arizona and I NEED A JOB ASAP paying decent!! I am looking to go to school and work!! I need to get my own place!! I really need help getting started!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

savera in Phoenix, Arizona

69 months ago

I recenty moved in Phoenix lookin 4 a job...as I am MBA - HR also hav 3 yrs exp in HR & Admn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

coolkk in Saint Louis, Missouri

69 months ago

I too was about to relocate to Phoenix, i applied for the U.S.Postal Service last March (passed the exam w/over 90....rating)research various government agencies for possible position openings etc. Today is December 16, 2008 and no word yet for those said employers. Yes, i would love to move to phoenix and or the surrounding areas but finding employment is a needle in the haystack. I averaged hourly wage is between $8-12.50 hr. So if you have a B.A/B.S or even pursing or have a Master's degree...good luck because the pay is relatively low. My suggestion for you...stay where you are unless you know someone personally and they can offer you a stable salary. The job market in Phoenix is not to good. I would also suggest that you visit phoenix to get the feel of the area, RESEARCH THE ECONOMY IN YOUR DESIRED FIELD, and try to make some contacts
etc. before you up and move. GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

O.K. i have noticed that a few viewers have moved to phoenix and currently are seeking employment. I just do not understand this method? Visit the desired area of relocation, conduct employment reseach before you visit and while visiting the area, make some employment contacts etc., before you move. Right now, i do not think phoenix is the 'hot' spot anymore. I hear the 'Dakota's, Utah and Montana is the 'hot' spot. Sure, it ccooollllddd in these states but the paid well eventually take care of that. Unemployment is spreading like wildfire. My suggestions...go back to school for either advanced training or degree seeking (please do not get a business or computer degree or even pursue a mba) such as in the healthcare field. What about the military? The police acadamey or corrections officer...the government. Starting your own business is a good idea as long as it is in the 'market'(something that people would have no problem spending money for). Who knows maybe i would finally find employment in Phoenix. GOOD LUCK...AGAIN!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dead end in Phoenix, Arizona

69 months ago

I have contacted all the job agencies and visited companies in phoenix
and surrounding areas and found that there are no jobs at the agencies.
The agencies are putting togather puppet companies that do not have work.This is the only way the agencies and the people working for them can keep their jobs.
I have toured industrial,merchant,and corporate jobs here and the employees are holding their ass cheeks togather hopeing not to loose their jobs.
Some companies are starting a list at the job agencies to hire people on for the next year but due to the governments inability to govern it looks like we are going to be in for a long long dry spell of unemployment here.
If there are any companies hireing they are takeing advantage of the recession and have cut the typicall employees paycheck in half.
I have an engineering degree and was offered an 8 dollar an hour job in a machine shop,I told them I could make more money on unemployment and that is exactly what I am doing.
If you are thinking of comeing to Arizona to work please know that you wont get paid well if there is work at all and most people that live here are rotten S.O.B`s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Here is another note:
I am intrested in why the phoenix newspaper farms all the work to
a job agency and 90% of the job ads in the paper are never a direct contact for hire.
It appears to be a pretty interesting relationship between the newspaper and the fly by night agencies around here.
I am seeing alot of people that would be right for a certain job are
now at the mercy of an agency that hardly knows how to read a resume for a persone in a specialized feild.
Is someone in the phoenix newspaper department getting a kickback as well as the job agency for the job placement of individuals?
Arizona career builder .com is the website adress as well as the name of the section of the newspaper here,if you look at the site you will that almost every single job points you to an agency.
So forget what I`m saying about this unfairness and log on anyway if you want there are no jobs.
Soon we may all be huddled togather in caves around fires telling stories of what it was like to have a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Happy in Ontario, California

69 months ago

I moved to AZ and registered with a temp agency. They had so much work I often refused it. I only had to register with one agency but to increase you odds register with several.

As for the sports guy. Go to the school district websites and see if they are hiring for coaches.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Dead end in Phoenix, Arizona said: I have contacted all the job agencies and visited companies in phoenix
and surrounding areas and found that there are no jobs at the agencies.
The agencies are putting togather puppet companies that do not have work.This is the only way the agencies and the people working for them can keep their jobs.
I have toured industrial,merchant,and corporate jobs here and the employees are holding their ass cheeks togather hopeing not to loose their jobs.
Some companies are starting a list at the job agencies to hire people on for the next year but due to the governments inability to govern it looks like we are going to be in for a long long dry spell of unemployment here.
If there are any companies hireing they are takeing advantage of the recession and have cut the typicall employees paycheck in half.
I have an engineering degree and was offered an 8 dollar an hour job in a machine shop,I told them I could make more money on unemployment and that is exactly what I am doing.
If you are thinking of comeing to Arizona to work please know that you wont get paid well if there is work at all and most people that live here are rotten S.O.B`s

You seem very proud. They offered you a job so you should have taken it until something you wanted came along. Sometimes the agencies give you these lower paying jobs so that when a biggie comes around they see how willing you are to work and you're top on the list. I know, I also worked at an agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

coolkk in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I too was about to relocate to Phoenix, i applied for the U.S.Postal Service last March (passed the exam w/over 90....rating)research various government agencies for possible position openings etc. Today is December 16, 2008 and no word yet for those said employers. Yes, i would love to move to phoenix and or the surrounding areas but finding employment is a needle in the haystack. I averaged hourly wage is between $8-12.50 hr. So if you have a B.A/B.S or even pursing or have a Master's degree...good luck because the pay is relatively low. My suggestion for you...stay where you are unless you know someone personally and they can offer you a stable salary. The job market in Phoenix is not to good. I would also suggest that you visit phoenix to get the feel of the area, RESEARCH THE ECONOMY IN YOUR DESIRED FIELD, and try to make some contacts

I don't have my degree and earned way more than that!
Everyone knows government jobs are hard to come by. They save those for the vets.

69 months ago

Happy in Ontario, California said: You seem very proud. They offered you a job so you should have taken it until something you wanted came along. Sometimes the agencies give you these lower paying jobs so that when a biggie comes around they see how willing you are to work and you're top on the list. I know, I also worked at an agency.

I wish that were the case but the job I had,was a job they set me up with in a failing company that was laying off,and the money I accepted was already way below par.
That was three months ago and they came back with even less money that I was makeing before.
Yes I am proud by the way,I`m proud of my abilities and proud enough of them to turn down what we are being messed out of by corporate America.
If we keep accepting these lower and lower wages then we will never be able to make our bills,and I am not over extended,I have no credit cards no outstanding loans at all and I cant afford to live a simple life.We are becomeing victims of corporate greed and illeagle immigration standards that our government cares nothing about.
The more people comeing in this country accepting less the more I have to accept.America is falling apart because of this influx,I do not wish to live 6 people to a house and I did not have children because I wanted to live comfortably with my wife and thats it .
We cant even afford to live on a double income now.
5 years ago we were both makeing 38,000 a peice gross.
Today we have been forced out of 18,000 dollars a year a peice per paycheck.
Why should my greedy government and overbearing corporate America dictate how I live today?
The more people that accept this the longer it will go on,hence the fact that the government has done nothing about illeagle immigration.
Hey the work still gets done and we dont have to listen to our employees cursing us because we dont speak spanish or manderin chineese

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I understand your frustration dead end. We went from 55,000 year to under 15,000 so I can truly relate. I encourage you to stay positive and hang in there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Thank you Ontario!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Happy in Ontario, California said: I don't have my degree and earned way more than that!
Everyone knows government jobs are hard to come by. They save those for the vets.

That's great! Maybe you can help someone get a job. I would also suggest that you seek into obtaining a certificate, certification or a degree. You never know...you might be next...since nothing is guaranteed these days.

69 months ago

Register w/ Corporate Job Bank in Tempe. They kept me working @ decent wages. I no longer live in AZ but I do recommend them.

rios47 in Gwynn Oak, Maryland

69 months ago

i am bilingual fluently inspanish right now i translate in the body shop but my main title is affice manager

69 months ago

Angelo Smith (National Hiring Manager) in Harvey, Illinois said: Mr. Williams, My name is Angelo Smith. I'm a hiring manager for Cobol Consulting Inc.. If possible forward your resume and contact information to Asmithsr2@hotmail.com for employment opportunities immediatly available.

Mr Smith do you have any positions for a spanish speaking person in the admin dept
thanks wanda rios my email is wrios47@comcast.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

adg in Chandler, Arizona

69 months ago

coolkk in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I too was about to relocate to Phoenix, i applied for the U.S.Postal Service last March (passed the exam w/over 90....rating)research various government agencies for possible position openings etc. Today is December 16, 2008 and no word yet for those said employers. Yes, i would love to move to phoenix and or the surrounding areas but finding employment is a needle in the haystack. I averaged hourly wage is between $8-12.50 hr. So if you have a B.A/B.S or even pursing or have a Master's degree...good luck because the pay is relatively low. My suggestion for you...stay where you are unless you know someone personally and they can offer you a stable salary. The job market in Phoenix is not to good. I would also suggest that you visit phoenix to get the feel of the area, RESEARCH THE ECONOMY IN YOUR DESIRED FIELD, and try to make some contacts

i wish i wouldnt have done that. My last job I was making 20 bucks an hour in Washington State, and now I cant find anything here. Ive applied to many places and have not received any call backs at all. Very frustrating, especially when you look at how much these jobs are paying

A.Rutherford in Peoria, Illinois

68 months ago

I am a recent graduate student with a Master's Degree in Leadership/Business and an Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice. I have over 8 years of experience in working in the Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement field. I would like to find a teaching position-college level in Phoenix, Az. Do you have any suggestions. The positions that I've seen require an doctorate degree. I have no source of network, if I did I am confident that I would be a great instructor. I believe "knowledge is power" I would love to pass on this same great experience that I had while earning my degrees. Anyone out there with any persons of network?

68 months ago

Congradulations on your accomplishments thus far. I am currently pursing my Master degree in Leadership (Crisis Management/Disaster Preparedness) at Grand Canyon Univ. I would highly suggest you seeking employment w/this university www.gcu.edu(for starters). Another suggestion would be a local community college, but i am quite sure you would probably find something. Keep smiling and est. a rapport w/employees at Grand Canyon maybe they may know someone. Keep me updated on your job search.

68 months ago

One more thing, where are you moving from and why?

Robert Lukacs in Phoenix, Arizona

68 months ago

Just keep in mind positions in Arizona do not pay well. I have a masters as well and you're luck to get 4)k with the economy. Most people with bachelors are get 10 -12 an hour right now. It's horrible. The cost of living is high here. Water & Electic bills are very high. Housing is cheap but that is all. I would check into New Mexico. The average salary is 48K and all the new studios just opened there. They are planning a new university as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

So what is the cost of living in New Mexico compared with Phoenix (housing-1br. apartment)? Do you know what is the current unemployment rate compated to Phoenix? I would suggest moving to Texas. SOOO, if you have a Master's degree why don't you move to New Mexico? What is your Master degree in?

68 months ago

Reply to KoolKK in Saint Louis, Missouri,
I have looked at Grand Canyon website to see the teaching positions that they have, and I have spoken to Human Resources there. I thought that I would have a great chance since I just received my Masters of Leadership/Business from them. I seen on the web they wanted instructors with 5 years experince of teaching. That is the only issue that I have is that I have not taught as an instructor before in an education faculty. I was told it might not hurt to try but they want instructors (W/ a minimum of a Masters Degree) whom had 5 years of teaching or years of expertise in their field. I am going to try and see what happens, hey the worse they can say is "no." Just a quick question do you have any idea how to do a curriculm vitae.This was another thing that had to be sent in with candiates resumes and a teaching pholosphy statement. Just a little advice for you since you have not finished maybe you can ask some instructors about applying and what you need. Maybe they can connect to someone, and also maybe looking at an intership with Grand Canyon (these also create possible job positions). Looking to hear your response.

68 months ago

coolkk in Saint Louis, Missouri said: One more thing, where are you moving from and why?

I have family here, I have always love Arizona since forever. And most of all, my soon to be husband lives here and is established. I am established in Illinois, but I want to get established in Arizona- but I want to be able to pave my own way. Since I have great student debt-never the less an undergraduate and graduate degree why not put them to use.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Response to *Robert Lukacs in Phoenix, Arizona

Wow, thngs that make you go OMG. I will keep praying that God will open a door, I have a strange feeling something is going to open up. I have just going to keep looking in Arizona, and keep the faith that my needs will be met. Thanks for the advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Response to KoolKK.
My Master's Degree is in Leadership/Business and I have a undergrad degree in Criminal Justice, (with over 8 years in this field). My heart and my future is in Arizona, so Texas or New Mexico will not work. Thanks for the advice.

68 months ago

Since you have a Master's degree, trying applying at a local community college or school system. As you had mentioned, trying talking to an instructor for additional advise etc. Maybe you can intern/volunteer somewhere (something to get your foot in the door). Personally, i do not have any 'hot' networks to further assist you.

68 months ago

O.K., i currently reside in St. Louis, so i understand why you want to move to Phoenix. Try looking for govt and county jobs. I know they are always hiring for correctional officers in Phoenix. Anyway, what kind of 'potential' leads does your 'husband' have for you? Again, i would try volunteering/interning and network from there since you probably do know alot of people.

68 months ago

coolkk in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Since you have a Master's degree, trying applying at a local community college or school system. As you had mentioned, trying talking to an instructor for additional advise etc. Maybe you can intern/volunteer somewhere (something to get your foot in the door). Personally, i do not have any 'hot' networks to further assist you.

I am trying to get my foot in the door as you suggested at a local community college, I think that if I can do this it will open doors for me to advance to a 4 yr university later. Thanks for the advice.

68 months ago

coolkk in Saint Louis, Missouri said: O.K., i currently reside in St. Louis, so i understand why you want to move to Phoenix. Try looking for govt and county jobs. I know they are always hiring for correctional officers in Phoenix. Anyway, what kind of 'potential' leads does your 'husband' have for you? Again, i would try volunteering/interning and network from there since you probably do know alot of people.

I will look for jobs in other areas beside teaching, but it is my passion right now. I will not be so naive as not to look for other jobs such as you mentioned govt or county jobs. I would really like to get out of corrections unless it is something on the administrative department. My soon to be husband is a very high up excective for a large company. I am sure he could pull some strings to get me on, but personally I want to pave my own way. I know that probably sounds silly for someone really wanting employment, but that area of my life I want to determine and control it-with the help of God of course. Thanks for the good advice.

coolkk in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

Hello 'Podg', as a veteran it is my duty to help assist everyone who is trying to 'network' for job leads. In your job search i would try usajobs.gov (va/govt. jobs in phoenix) for starters. I think i had seen a position that matches some of your skills (try usajobs.gov and search back the last 30 days...this might be a part time student job...i cannot remember the job title).
Where are working at now (if any)? Do you know anyone in Phoenix?

Lou in Jamaica, New York

67 months ago

You guy are scaring me! I Just recently purchase a home in Maricopa, Az. Looking to relocate very soon, any suggestions on where to look for a job as a Admin. Assist. w/human resources.

67 months ago

If you just purchased a home, why are you looking to relocate so soon? Are you currently working? Where do you want to relocate to?

67 months ago

No, I have not purchurced the House as of jet. I am trying to see if there is work there first

67 months ago

O.k., well the good news is that you have not actually purchased a home yet (according to your finances). For starters, i would visit Phoenix and get the feel of the area (jobs, people, environment etc.). Next, if everything is a 'go' then i would (while visiting) evaluate the housing market (renting vs buying) as with the area (s) you would like to reside at. Followed by networking (while visiting, etc.). Have you applied to any jobs in Phoenix yet? Do you have any potential job leads? Do you know anyone in Phoenix? How long have you been teaching for? Do you have a degree? Can you or are you willing to teaching in a public school system? These are a few things i would like to know (as with others who might be able to assit you also). Where do you live at now and why do you want to move to Phoenix?

coolkk

ruff75 in Wilson, North Carolina

67 months ago

yes I'm unhappy in North Carolina But i'd love to move back to the West Coast since I"ve been out of the military I seem to be stuck with these low paying jobs since I've BEEN DOWN EAST and I don't like it. Would love to try to get at the prisons of arizona for a job offer so i can relocate in that direction. Jobs are either short or low-paying in North Carolina or the people are so about certain people working these jobs here in North Carolina I don;t need that in My life. Life is too short for prejudice. NEED HELP!!!!!

67 months ago

...Wilson, so you live on the E.Coast,and you are unhappy (wow, i'm from the east coast and love it conpared to the midwest). The good news is that i have recently viewed prison jobs on usajobs.com also try the boarder patrol jobs. These jobs are in DEMAND. Now as far as the prison jobs (federal) you have to be 37 yrs. of age of under (slight exceptions do apply) and the boarder patrol jobs 40 yrs. of under. So how long have you been out of the military? Do you have any college education? If so, I think both jobs require at least a B.A. degree. You should also look into becoming a police officer (most police agencies require at least 30 credits). Have you tried apply for jobs at VA or on usajobs.com before?

ruff75 in Sims, North Carolina

67 months ago

I'm living on the east caost in the south and unhappy and no you don't need a degree to be a correctional officer but to be anything in programs because I'm an ex-correctional officer anyway I just want to go back out on the West Coast and try my luck out there and I havent put out for the border patrol yet but i'LL TRY IT. I'm always on the USA JOBS searching for federal jobs Plus I'm A veteran

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.