Moving to Phoenix - how did you get here?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 62)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

Reply - Report abuse

Gary in Mesa, Arizona

83 months ago

I moved here in 1980. Glad to have left the cold/humid midwest. I love Arizona. If anyone reading this has moved to Arizona please visit my website for Auto and Home Insurance. www.grandcanyonquotes.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Phoenix, Arizona

79 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

I moved from Illinois to Mesa on March 12, 2007 and havent looked back since - well - I was homesick terribly at first and while I do miss my friends back there alot I have no regrets. I packed up my car and a trailer and drove 23 hours cold to an apartment I found online and no job. I found a job within a few weeks and am now getting ready to move into a new home with a private pool and sometimes really have to pinch myself.

If there is one tiny thing I would have done different it would have been to buy a durn GPS system for my car - lol - but other than that, no regrets and I can only hope my next 50 years will be as good, if not different, than my last

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Katherine Fields in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

79 months ago

Sue in Phoenix, Arizona said: I moved from Illinois to Mesa on March 12, 2007 and havent looked back since - well - I was homesick terribly at first and while I do miss my friends back there alot I have no regrets. I packed up my car and a trailer and drove 23 hours cold to an apartment I found online and no job. I found a job within a few weeks and am now getting ready to move into a new home with a private pool and sometimes really have to pinch myself.

If there is one tiny thing I would have done different it would have been to buy a durn GPS system for my car - lol - but other than that, no regrets and I can only hope my next 50 years will be as good, if not different, than my last

My family and I (husband and two children) are wanting to move to Phoenix sometime this year. I am from Cedar Rapids Iowa where it is currently 15 degrees. I was born here and most of my family are here. Do you have any words of wisdom for me and is there anything that I should do first. As you I have no job to go to and is finding housing easy to do. We tried to move to San Fransico a year ago and was robbed by a guy on craigslist. I just want to make the best decision I can for me and my family. I would love to hear back from you.
Thanks,
Katie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sue in Mesa, Arizona

79 months ago

Hi there and good luck with you move. I am not sure what kind of work you will be looking for but I found that the headhunters (temp agencies) are all vultures and if you put a resume up on the job sites they will lure you in with all kinds of false promises, have you spend HOURS on paperwork, testing, etc and then when it comes time to actually call you for an interview, in spite of TONS of jobs that you are qualified for being posted on their site, no calls come. Alot of people dont realize that these typical places get money just for bringing people in to sign up with them and I have met maybe three decent ones that will work with you without you having to waste hours of your time and money in gas to go and meet them first. So that is my main advice once you get here. I used a moving company that did it all for me and it was a hassle too - if you use one make sure you read the fine print on the insurance - I thought I had but when it came time to collect on a ton of damaged stuff the insurance was no where to be found and I really had to fight for months on end to get it settled.
Also if you do use a moving company be sure to do your research - there is a forum out on the internet that you can find by doing a search on yahoo or whatever for the words moving scam forum or something similar.
It would be best of course if you could get out here beforehand to pick where you want to live but I know that might not be feasible - I was darned lucky that the apartment I chose was in a good neighborhood but I didn't know that until I got here.

If you get an apartment or home before you move be sure to call SRP (power) and the phone company - I use Qwest, and the cable places - (DirectTV, Cox Communications are the two I can recall right now)and get your services all set up ahead of time. On SRP - the best way to go with them is signing up for what is called an M Power box - very little deposit needed - pay as you go. Good luck !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

meek indiana in Bryan, Ohio

74 months ago

hello, my name is Ryan. one of my friends and i are looking into moving. I am looking for a place to start over. I would like to start my own business in electric motors and industrial supply. Thats what i am very good at. If you have any good advice i would like to hear about it. In your opinion would it be better yo rent or buy a house, and what would be a good location?

Hey whats up this is andy. I am ready for a change need people who don't know me and where I can start over..I am sure i have a job at Lafferty Inc. also known as Gaylor Inc. things were I live are to Much and am looking for a good place to make a better life for Myself. Not really aware of the disadvantages of losing close friends but, will phoenix give me what I need. Does it have the atmosphere I am looking for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Toronto, Ontario

73 months ago

I'm really thinking of moving to Pheonix, I've never been but plan to visit before I decide to move( of course)the problem is I'm living in Canada right now, never lived in the USA but always had a dream to move...am I making the wrong decission?
I want to purchase a home and look for a job on line..what advise would you give me?
I'm from a large city and have NO idea what I should expect if I move...again any advice would help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

gg2088g in Scottsdale, Arizona

72 months ago

I moved here 5 years. Love the sun especially having spent a cold winter in Boston. Traffic is not as bad as in Los Angeles. Have to travel quite a bit to our favorite resturants though.

By the way, any comment on city water in Arizona. Thinking of installing a filtration system, reverse osmosis. Read www.healthfaucet.com/guide.htm
Any advise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

rreaves in Bettendorf, Iowa

69 months ago

My husband and I are looking to move. We have several different states but are leaning toward Phoenix Arizona. I was wandering about teacher assistnat jobs and apartments. Can you help me out....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

arizonadreamer in Lapeer, Michigan

69 months ago

gg2088g in Scottsdale, Arizona said: I moved here 5 years. Love the sun especially having spent a cold winter in Boston. Traffic is not as bad as in Los Angeles. Have to travel quite a bit to our favorite resturants though.

By the way, any comment on city water in Arizona. Thinking of installing a filtration system, reverse osmosis. Read www.healthfaucet.com/guide.htm
Any advise?

so I plan to move and serve the community in scottsdale AZ as a dental assistant do you know of any professional dental groups since youve been out there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rreaves in Davenport, Iowa

65 months ago

Katherine Fields in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: My family and I (husband and two children) are wanting to move to Phoenix sometime this year. I am from Cedar Rapids Iowa where it is currently 15 degrees. I was born here and most of my family are here. Do you have any words of wisdom for me and is there anything that I should do first. As you I have no job to go to and is finding housing easy to do. We tried to move to San Fransico a year ago and was robbed by a guy on craigslist. I just want to make the best decision I can for me and my family. I would love to hear back from you.
Thanks,
Katie

My husband and I are also looking to move to Phoenix Arizona. I am a teacher's assistant and going for my bachelor to get my teacher's degree. It is going to cost over 1000 to get a uhaul which we do not have that kind of money so we are leaning toward putting things in a storage unit and then paying someone to get it for us as we neither have a license so it is hard for us to get a moving truck and etc. let me know if you found anything yet at Phoenix.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Terrible in Phoenix, Arizona

64 months ago

People come out here in the winter, see all the palm trees and get suckered in. This place is hot, unfriendly, crowded and just plain pathetic. IT IS IN THE MIDDLE OF A DESERT FOR GOD'S SAKES! And now with the recession there are NO jobs. This was a construction town and now it is an unemployment town with absolutely nothing to offer - trust me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

You're right in Phoenix, Arizona

64 months ago

Yep!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Hi in Phoenix, Arizona said: Don't move here. The ONLY good thing Phoenix had going for it was that there were a lot of jobs here, but not anymore. Stay where you are, tough it out. This is the most unfriendly place I have ever lived - horrible. And I have been around. Don't make the mistake of coming out here because you will never make it back to where you came from.

I am going to GCU online for teacher degree. I have had several offers and good pay but yet you say there are NO JOBS?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

MSphere in BONIFAY, Florida

64 months ago

Each and everyone of us have different back grounds of experience in the work field, to say there are no jobs would be UN-investigated, this is what I found: 5-28-09

Employee Type

o Full Time (13,300)
o Employee (8,588)
o Part Time (1,978)
o Contractor Or Temp (1,552)
o Intern (81)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

walmart.phoenix.oodle.com/job/-/-/85258/+50/

Category

o Accounting/Finance (2,489)
o Admin/Secretarial (1,700)
o Architect/Design (161)
o Art/Media/Writers (202)
o Biotech/Pharmaceutical (205)
o Computer/Software (2,044)
o Construction/Skilled Trade (920)
o Customer Service (910)
o Domestic Help/Care (456)
o Education (469)
o Engineering (988)
o Everything Else (1,096)
o Facilities/Maintenance (226)
o General Labor/Warehouse (82)
o Gov/Military (124)
o HR & Recruiting (211)
o Healthcare (9,684)
o Hospitality/Restaurant (407)
o Law Enforce & Secure (101)
o Legal (231)
o Management & Exec (2,805)
o Manufacturing/Operations (286)
o Marketing/PR (639)
o Nonprofit & Fund (48)
o Oil/Energy/Power (1)
o Quality Assurance (281)
o Real Estate (280)
o Research & Dev (73)
o Retail (541)
o Sales & Biz Dev (2,216)
o Salon/Beauty/Fitness (69)
o Social Services (332)
o TV/Film/Musicians (25)
o Transportation/Travel (313)
o Vet & Animal Care (42)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

I know someone told me on here that there are no jobs whatsoever in Phoenix and it is a bad place to live that is why I replied....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Davenport, no, no.. i didn't put this up aimed at post, it was for the others that posted No Jobs...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

I have re-trained over and over to keep up with todays demands on work.. I have acquired numerous fields of education to keep fresh in the work force, I hold Training, Certificates and Degree's for over 12 different careers over the last 20 years.

I still find it difficult to keep up with the demand of todays needs, but thats just it guys, we can't just say well I can't get a job doing what I know..! or what I'm trained for..!

In 10 months I start my new adventure in a Two Year University Degree that will be part Pell Grant and part Student Loan but thats not all ... Its all online (in my boxers) sure the $40,000 dollar ticket at the end scares the S#&t out of me but my family depends on my git-r-dun.....!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed in Phoenix, Arizona

63 months ago

Hi in Phoenix, Arizona said: Don't move here. The ONLY good thing Phoenix had going for it was that there were a lot of jobs here, but not anymore. Stay where you are, tough it out. This is the most unfriendly place I have ever lived - horrible. And I have been around. Don't make the mistake of coming out here because you will never make it back to where you came from.

I wouldn't go so far to say 'unfriendly', but there is definitely a 'Raised in AZ' versus 'everyone else who moved here' mentality. There are no decent jobs available out here. Seriously. Work is scant, freelancing is scant, and those that have work are so protective of their goods that everyone is kinda of suspicious of everyone else, thus lending an air of 'unfriendliness'. Its all about security, yo.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rreaves in Bettendorf, Iowa

63 months ago

Well, I hate to tell you this but I have gotten more good replies then bad. I go to college online for GCU in Phoenix and I have contacted schools and apartments and there are jobs in the education field because I have called personally and talked to these people. Thank you for your reply but it is negative and I have gotten like I said more good reports than bad. A place you do not want to go is here in Iowa this is a no good attitude town and there are really no jobs here I was just lucking to get my teacher assistant job 3 and a half years ago but the town and state I am tired of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rn in Phoenix, Arizona

63 months ago

I hate to say it-but you are so right...I moved exactly one year ago...through the company I was working for...the company does not exist anymore and I am stuck with a mortgage payments with my wife and a baby on it's way unemployed for more than 5 months---I hate this place - as soon as the baby is here-WE LEAVE-I had enough enough of this s***t!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

AzSun in Evansville, Indiana

63 months ago

I used to live in Tucson, AZ and live in Indiana now and I absolutely hate it!!!! I would move back to AZ in a heartbeat if I could. To those who say they are "unfriendly", try living in the mid-west where closed minded people treat you like crap because you are not from their town. Bunch of corn fields here, nothing pretty about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

d in Mesa AZ in Phoenix, Arizona

63 months ago

Moved here five years ago. DO NOT MOVE TO ARIZONA! The public schools are horrific! Many people think that Arizona is an inexpensive place to live -- not so. Tax is high on consumer goods, THERE ARE NO JOBS (I lost mine in Dec. 2008) and the worst unemployment benefits ever!!!! It is very hot in the summer and your SRP bills for cooling will be extremely costly. THIS IS A RIGHT TO WORK STATE MORE IMPORTANTLY; once you located a job here; your employer can terminate your position WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE. This protects employers but not employees. The sooner I can get out of this state the better. I retrained for a healthcare career; got my certification and have been looking in other states for work. THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER - STAY WHERE YOU ARE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

intuitive1

62 months ago

Here's the deal about Arizona:incredibly beautiful and amazingly diverse lands,the pictures you have in your head of old western movies,many of which were filmed in Sedona for that reason, and Grand Canyon. It's a wonderful state to explore and each area has something special to offer. Visit and enjoy! BUT, if you want any legal protection as an employee from greedy and selfish bosses/business owners; if you expect to be paid what you were offered in the interview when you arrive the first day for work; if you apply for a job thinking it really exists there and don't want to deal with bait and switch; if you expect to have access to independent health insurance as an entrepreneur; if you want decent schools for your kids (49th in the nation and sinking!); if you expect children to receive protection in the law from abuse and neglect; a state where people are reasonably intelligent and educated and things can get done efficiently, don't move to Arizona! Just come visit, spend your money, and go back home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

lkgfrjob in Mesa, Arizona

61 months ago

DO NOT MOVE TO AZ; NO JOBS HERE. I am in the medical field. I am an allied health professional, however, there still are no jobs. AZ relies heavily on the hospitality industry and because of the economy, hospitality industry is down as well as retail. Phoenix does not have any large corporations except "Intel" which laid off workers in 2008. Trust me, jobs are scarce no matter how qualified one may be. Moreover, your SRP bills (air conditioning) in June and July are ridiculous! Heed everyone's advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona

60 months ago

rreaves in Bettendorf, Iowa said: I do not believe a one of you...there are teacher jobs and teachers assistant jobs so do not give me that bull s**t

Come on out here you will love the 115 degree heat.. Ive lived here for 20 years,but the summer are getting hotter and longer maybe global warming . Jobs maybe you can open up your own company their are a lot of empty stores around.On Bell rd.their were 250 stores that closed.Lots of houses for sale and we do have photo radar on our freeways.And if you smoke or drink I would not come too this place,We have a shaiff name Joe he loves to Lock people up .He even has a sign outside of his jail that says Vacancy. COME ON DOWN SPANISH ALSO SPOKEN HERE THAT IS A PLUS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Aron Sara in Arizona

56 months ago

STOP!!!!! GO BACK!!!! Finding a job here in AZ even with a B.A. degree is impossible. We moved here from the east coast looking for a better life and not only are their no jobs but the education is at the bottom of the list (49th I believe). It took us 8 months to find a $10 an hour job because that's all they pay out here!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tired in Mesa, Arizona

49 months ago

Rn in Phoenix, Arizona said: I hate to say it-but you are so right...I moved exactly one year ago...through the company I was working for...the company does not exist anymore and I am stuck with a mortgage payments with my wife and a baby on it's way unemployed for more than 5 months---I hate this place - as soon as the baby is here-WE LEAVE-I had enough enough of this s***t!

Yes, your story is identical to mine. My family and I want out of here. The people here are crazy, unfriendly, and get a sick pleasure out of other peoples misery. I pray that God helps our family to get out of this hell on earth!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

demona_1792 in Saint John, New Brunswick

48 months ago

Liz in Toronto, Ontario said: I'm really thinking of moving to Pheonix, I've never been but plan to visit before I decide to move( of course)the problem is I'm living in Canada right now, never lived in the USA but always had a dream to move...am I making the wrong decission?
I want to purchase a home and look for a job on line..what advise would you give me?
I'm from a large city and have NO idea what I should expect if I move...again any advice would help.

I am in exactly the same situation, i'm working with Globalvisas to get my work visa, i'm looking to move to Arizona, hopefully buy a house in Phoenix or Tucson,wherever i can find work! i've been there like 10 times so far it's beautiful, and from all my experiences people are pretty friendly! My son and I are gonna try it no matter what i don't think i'm wrong with my choice to move if you don't try, you'll never know! I'm in NB right now I was in Montreal till 4 years ago! Trust me Arizona can't be any worse this place!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

makophoto_07 in Torrington, Wyoming

46 months ago

I completely agree. My husband and I live in Torrington , wy and the people here are very closed minded. I am originally from phoenix and am excited to move back. Hopefully by 2012

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

[url=http://www.trailersplus.com]flatbed in Indianapolis, Indiana

45 months ago

Hello. My family will be moving in a month to Phoenix and are hopeful that Phoenix is a great city. Reading the comments above are concerning but I am still hopeful that it will turn out to be a great decision. I believe the area you live in determines your experience, therefore I feel we will build a life in Phoenix in no time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Brooklyn, New York

44 months ago

Unfriendly people? Have you been to NYC? I'm from NYC and Im considering moving to Arizona. Im quite sure I'll handle a lot less BS there than here

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

hey oh in Hinsdale, Illinois

43 months ago

Hi everyone!!! Looking for some info on Phoenix. Planning to move out there soon. So i need advice on what areas to avoid. I saw a great condo in 85033. Is this area safe. I'm a single woman,white,and live alone. Should i move here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Midwestern Mama in Phoenix, AZ in Haltom City, Texas

43 months ago

Katherine Fields in Cedar Rapids, Iowa said: My family and I (husband and two children) are wanting to move to Phoenix sometime this year. I am from Cedar Rapids Iowa where it is currently 15 degrees. I was born here and most of my family are here. Do you have any words of wisdom for me and is there anything that I should do first. As you I have no job to go to and is finding housing easy to do. We tried to move to San Fransico a year ago and was robbed by a guy on craigslist. I just want to make the best decision I can for me and my family. I would love to hear back from you.
Thanks,
Katie

Dear Katie,
I was dragged here by an "ex" in 1977 and I have been unhappy ever since. I think the sunshine blurs people's vision. All is NOT what it appears to be. If you are young and attractive, have money and all the trappings, you might do well. There is no manufacturing here, only service jobs. People are not friendly. It is very transient. If you find friends, they may not last long. Unemployment is high here and difficult to find a job. Age discrimination is alive and well. Often you find yourself interviewing with someone who could be your child. There is no sense of community here, crime is a problem as well as drugs and border issues. If you've watched the national news, you know what a dopes state officials are. If you are Democratic, don't come here. These people just vote blindfolded, can't see anything or anyone different than the status quo. Matter of fact, the way California goes is the way it goes here, no independent/smart folks here. McCain is an old fart who ought to retire to his mansion(s) and hired help. I am a deep-rooted midwesterner and making plans to move back to the midwest. I would allow myself to be buried in snow before I'd ever come back here. Read what others have had to say on wwww.bestplaces.net.
Just be very sure, this is far from paradise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

hey oh in Hinsdale, Illinois said: Hi everyone!!! Looking for some info on Phoenix. Planning to move out there soon. So i need advice on what areas to avoid. I saw a great condo in 85033. Is this area safe. I'm a single woman,white,and live alone. Should i move here?

Read other replies AND DO YOUR RESEARCH. All is NOT WHAT IT APPEARS in Phoenix, AZ.
Be very careful, you may be sorry and waste a lot of your life here.......hating it as I have since November 1977. I raised my kids here, so not to disrupt the life they knew pre-divorce. That was the wrong decision. They are adults here now, and sadly, not the people I'd hoped for. I am their mother, but they don't have the values I was raised with even though I fought to impart them to them.
Once they were out of the home and involved in this lifestyle, it all evaporated. And, speaking of children, there is nothing for them to do during the morbidly hot summers when parents must go to work.
Home and car vandalism is big here and cops don't come. My house was violated twice while here and my car once. There is nothing for kids and teens to do here to avoid getting in trouble, and their parents are the same. Don't be blinded by the sunshine and scenery, you stay long enough and you will see the downside. I would live in an igloo in Anartica before I'd live here again. Check out what others have said on www.bestplaces.net. It's not just me. Good Luck in making a good decision for your marriage and family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Tony in Brooklyn, New York said: Unfriendly people? Have you been to NYC? I'm from NYC and Im considering moving to Arizona. Im quite sure I'll handle a lot less BS there than here

I've been to NYC and yes, not the most friendly people. But remember, a lot of those jokers have moved to Phoenix. If you like poor schools (very low compared to other states), high RE taxes, high sales tax, OUTRAGEOUS TAGS AND EMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR YOUR CAR......Come on ahead. You'll find more garbage and sun-damaged/brain-dead people here. And remember, Nevada/Arizona/Texas/California all have a failed RE market. Friends of mine paid $160,000 before the crapola hit the fan, for their home, and finally packed up and left it vacant because the other houses in the neighborhood had been reduced to $30 to $40K. There are many vacant homes around and as many short sales happening.
I don't know where people get the idea that this is paradise, it is closer to hell.....on earth.
If you're a Democrat, don't come. Don't bring a solid marriage or children here, you'll be sorry.
Stay where you are, ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN THIS HELL HOLE. If I thought my rant would prevent one family from coming here, it's worth my time and effort. I am packing and will be going back to my roots in the midwest within the next 2 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

demona_1792 in Saint John, New Brunswick said: I am in exactly the same situation, i'm working with Globalvisas to get my work visa, i'm looking to move to Arizona, hopefully buy a house in Phoenix or Tucson,wherever i can find work! i've been there like 10 times so far it's beautiful, and from all my experiences people are pretty friendly! My son and I are gonna try it no matter what i don't think i'm wrong with my choice to move if you don't try, you'll never know! I'm in NB right now I was in Montreal till 4 years ago! Trust me Arizona can't be any worse this place!!!!!!!!!!!

I GUESS YOU'LL FIND OUT. Let's hope you don't live to regret those words. A Phoenix, AZ resident who's leaving soon.

Arizona Sucks in Tempe, Arizona

38 months ago

Just click on the following link and read it for yourself. It's all true. I would know. I've lived here for thirty years.

arizona-sucks.com/?p=231

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Honest disagreement in Phoenix, Arizona

38 months ago

rreaves in Davenport, Iowa said: My husband and I are also looking to move to Phoenix Arizona. I am a teacher's assistant and going for my bachelor to get my teacher's degree. It is going to cost over 1000 to get a uhaul which we do not have that kind of money so we are leaning toward putting things in a storage unit and then paying someone to get it for us as we neither have a license so it is hard for us to get a moving truck and etc. let me know if you found anything yet at Phoenix.

I would definitely advise anyone moving more than a couple of states away to sell what you can- avoid putting your memories in storage- Most people- for one reason or another - lose their items left in storage. My family and I have lived in Arizona for 14years and although we moved away for one year- we quickly returned to Arizona. It is hot in the summer but if you try it is easy to get used to it. Rent before buying a house- there is definitely a different feel to each city and since each city is relatively close -it doesnt take long to read AZCENTRAL.com or realize what feels correct for you. The school districts (way too many) are okay but Arizona as a whole does not have the best schooling (GREATSCHOOLS.COM) .Stop in at Enterprise car rental for a free local map- of course you can buy one but they are too large to keep handy in your vehicle side pocket for quick reference. Lots of shopping and entertainment areas. The jobs used to pay better but as every state has been hit ....so it is..
Indeed.com is an ok job search engine- there are better ones but indeed compiles a lot of jobs from different areas- you just have to verify the information on the original source site since indeed compiled it from everywhere else. Good Luck.

38 months ago

hey oh in Hinsdale, Illinois said: Hi everyone!!! Looking for some info on Phoenix. Planning to move out there soon. So i need advice on what areas to avoid. I saw a great condo in 85033. Is this area safe. I'm a single woman,white,and live alone. Should i move here?

Good luck with your decision. I personally don't understand why you advised your race. It is difficult for someone to advise on an area since it is based on personal preferences but I personally shop around in the area but would not choose to live in the area. Try visiting the online news for the area to get a feel for the areas (azcentral.com). I have lived in most states (military related) and I prefer Arizona to most states. There are many negatives but I find more positives that keep me here.
There are some cities listed on the crime trend map at ( www.crimemapping.com/ ) Again, not all cities are listed and keep in mind that there are many incidents that are random/not random. I would encourage you to visit first - stay in different cities/hotels - although you can not completely get a feel for the area from one night in the area -it is easier to eliminate the areas you don't want to consider. Someone mentioned higher vehicle registration - completely true - it does depend on the year and cost of the vehicle but it is more expensive than a lot of states.

38 months ago

rreaves in Davenport, Iowa said: My husband and I are also looking to move to Phoenix Arizona. I am a teacher's assistant and going for my bachelor to get my teacher's degree. It is going to cost over 1000 to get a uhaul which we do not have that kind of money so we are leaning toward putting things in a storage unit and then paying someone to get it for us as we neither have a license so it is hard for us to get a moving truck and etc. let me know if you found anything yet at Phoenix.

You both will definitely be better with a driver's license. Most states do not hire quickly those they can not run a simple state criminal check on- although it can of course be completed without a license- you will find it much easier /quicker to be hired as well as getting around town. The area does have public transportation but it limits where you can live or work.

good advice in Phoenix, Arizona

37 months ago

whatever you do- DO NOT MOVE HERE. The weather makes it so you are unable to do anything, and the people are so judgmental, not to mention intolerant. Also- Joe Arpaio; enough said. STAY AWAY! I moved here from San Francisco and regret it everyday! Can't wait to leave!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Phoenix, Arizona

37 months ago

good advice in Phoenix, Arizona said: whatever you do- DO NOT MOVE HERE. The weather makes it so you are unable to do anything, and the people are so judgmental, not to mention intolerant. Also- Joe Arpaio; enough said. STAY AWAY! I moved here from San Francisco and regret it everyday! Can't wait to leave!

I have lived in AZ for the better (or worst) part of my life.I live in crappy Phoenix Az, and wish everyday that I had more money to add into my savings (moving fund) account, just so I can move and "try again". The heat in the summer reaches up to 122 degrees, with an average of 115 day-time highs. As of right now, Phoenix broke a record of 110+ temps for 32 days in-a-row. There is very scarce job offerings. Even with a degree in that or this, you may still end up working at a local McDonald's part-time. The people, ohh the rude A-hole people that live here are in the hundreds of thousands. While I was walking my dog one morning, a bicyclist forced a pregnant lady while pushing a baby in a stroller into the bike lane because he refused to yield the right-of-way on the side walk. Every time I'm out on a walk, I encounter these people. Phoenix wasn't always this bad, well except for the heat which will never change, but the atmosphere is horrible. DO NOT MOVE HERE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mister_EEE in Phoenix, Arizona

37 months ago

Honest disagreement in Phoenix, Arizona said: Good luck with your decision. I personally don't understand why you advised your race. It is difficult for someone to advise on an area since it is based on personal preferences but I personally shop around in the area but would not choose to live in the area. Try visiting the online news for the area to get a feel for the areas (azcentral.com). I have lived in most states (military related) and I prefer Arizona to most states. There are many negatives but I find more positives that keep me here.
There are some cities listed on the crime trend map at ( www.crimemapping.com/ ) Again, not all cities are listed and keep in mind that there are many incidents that are random/not random. I would encourage you to visit first - stay in different cities/hotels - although you can not completely get a feel for the area from one night in the area -it is easier to eliminate the areas you don't want to consider. Someone mentioned higher vehicle registration - completely true - it does depend on the year and cost of the vehicle but it is more expensive than a lot of states.

That zip code puts you right smack dab in the middle of a place where you better be fluent in spanish. A lot of vacancies due to SB1070 (illegal immigration law) - they've all moved to other states.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Donna Commer

34 months ago

Thank God I don't put alot of trust in what others say or feel regarding Az, I live in a small economically depressed town in Arkansas, cannot find a job here, I am not from this state, my friend has offered me a place to live while I look for a job. None of these responses put their ages in here and I am an older woman who is married but he will stay here where he is from. My father was Navy for 26 yrs....I have moved 42 times. Wish me luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

caligirl in Veedersburg, Indiana

33 months ago

AzSun in Evansville, Indiana said: I used to live in Tucson, AZ and live in Indiana now and I absolutely hate it!!!! I would move back to AZ in a heartbeat if I could. To those who say they are "unfriendly", try living in the mid-west where closed minded people treat you like crap because you are not from their town. Bunch of corn fields here, nothing pretty about it.

I am from L.A. so I can handle unfriendly with no problem. I too am living in Indiana now and I hate it with a passion....homophobic, racist, uneducated, toothless....I could go on and on. I hate winter so I will be looking forward to going back out west where I belong.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

angel in El Cajon, California

33 months ago

I'm moving to Arizona in 5 weeks. I don't know what people are complaining about jobs in Arizona for. California has no jobs. People put in a hundred resumes and get no calls. I have put out ten resumes in Arizona got four call backs to a out of state number. These are jobs starting at 45k a yr. You cant find that in San Diego without college degrees. I was not fortunate enough to go to college. The rent in Arizona is average 300-500 or more cheaper a month. You cant find a three bedroom apt in California for less then 1300 a month. If you have children I think Arizona is the way to go. I cant imagine my kids trying to make.it on their own with hopes of college here with the cost of living.I spent 2 yrs researching my move. And reading these blogs. I am ready for the snotty locals. We got them in San Diego too. They aren't paying my bills so f em. I'm thirty years old and with this economy survival is number one. And illegals.....Lol I live twenty min from Mexico for 17 yrs. My kids currently go to schools where English is the second language. It truly cant get worse. This cali. Girl is going az

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JC in Phoenix, Arizona

33 months ago

angel in El Cajon, California said: I'm moving to Arizona in 5 weeks. I don't know what people are complaining about jobs in Arizona for. California has no jobs. People put in a hundred resumes and get no calls. I have put out ten resumes in Arizona got four call backs to a out of state number. These are jobs starting at 45k a yr. You cant find that in San Diego without college degrees. I was not fortunate enough to go to college. The rent in Arizona is average 300-500 or more cheaper a month. You cant find a three bedroom apt in California for less then 1300 a month. If you have children I think Arizona is the way to go. I cant imagine my kids trying to make.it on their own with hopes of college here with the cost of living.I spent 2 yrs researching my move. And reading these blogs. I am ready for the snotty locals. We got them in San Diego too. They aren't paying my bills so f em. I'm thirty years old and with this economy survival is number one. And illegals.....Lol I live twenty min from Mexico for 17 yrs. My kids currently go to schools where English is the second language. It truly cant get worse. This cali. Girl is going az

Well be very very careful where you move. 300-500 a month in rent sounds like a deal. Sounds to me like you will be moving into a neighborhood full of homeless people, drug problems and many many break-ins. The thing that I learned upon moving to Phoenix, was that the higher rent you pay each month, the less likely you will be in a rough neighborhood. But, good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.