Why am I not getting hired? Please help me understand

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

bshell1980 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

20 months ago

Please help me to understand. I cannot find a job in Pittsburgh. No matter where I apply, how often I apply, what type of job. I get nothing. I have no interviews. I have applied to at least 150 jobs since August 2nd, 2012. I have 13 years experience in the administrative field. I have an associates in business, a bachelors in legal studies, United States Army veteran, assistant director of admissions, admissions representative for colleges, office manager experience, support staff at a juvenile center, Department of Defense postal worker experience! I received awards in the military, I have all the microsoft experience you can think of. At least 10 years with each program. I am totally lost and I am starting to struggle financially. Maybe some of your insight will help me. I am willing to get any type of information, advice, opinions, whatever. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

20 months ago

Truth be told it's very tough for young, old, inexperienced, exp, etc.....

Have someone look over your resume for FREE (maybe the local Dept of Labor office). They even have some free classes there like a class on interviewing.

I wish you the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

I appreciate your comment, but I have had my resume looked over by a resume writing service. Still...no job. The free classes for interviews might actually help, but I cannot even get an interview.
Thank you though. I am just starting to get discouraged. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington

20 months ago

bshell1980 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I appreciate your comment, but I have had my resume looked over by a resume writing service. Still...no job. The free classes for interviews might actually help, but I cannot even get an interview.
Thank you though. I am just starting to get discouraged. :(

Here's what I'd do - and what sort of worked for me recently:

The company advertised an ad on Craigslist. It said to reply and e-mail
your resume. Instead of just doing that, I sent an e-mail to the CEO (it was a small company). I think you somehow have to make things personal and sell yourself beyond just sending the resume. I'm not saying all the time it would work. It may even hinder in some cases. But I think it usually helps, especially when you have the sort of experience you have. I'm impressed by your experience.

Another job that I wanted, I knew it was working under the director of a University. So I sent an e-mail to her, after finding her e-mail on the website, and I told her why I wanted the job and would be good for it. Haven't heard from her yet - but I already got a job so I don't know if I'll pursue hers.

Also, even though you had someone look at your resume, you need to tailor each resume to the position and put in the keywords they've posted in the ad/website for jobs, etc. I would definitely recommend this. I might even (and have done this) place two sections above the EXPERIENCE section, titled SKILLS RELEVANT TO THE POSITION and ACHIEVEMENT RELEVANT TO THE POSITION.

Hope that helps. You have a lot to offer. I am so envious of your expertise with MS Office skills. I let mine lag cos' I dislike MS products, but that has hindered me significantly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

20 months ago

First off, thank you for putting yourself on the line for us.

bshell1980 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: [A] bachelors in legal studies....
No law firm will bite?

What sticks out in your post is you have a bunch of experience in nearly everything, which is great, but apparently only one resume. It may appear to the reader that your resume and, therefore, you, lack focus. Therefore, maybe you should consider drafting different resumes for the different jobs you've had and industries in which you've been involved.

For each resume you draft you should include your military background and awards. Finally, you could prepare a functional resume(s) that emphasizes your KSAs and puts your employment background lower.

Best of luck and, again, thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: First off, thank you for putting yourself on the line for us.

No law firm will bite?

What sticks out in your post is you have a bunch of experience in nearly everything, which is great, but apparently only one resume. It may appear to the reader that your resume and, therefore, you, lack focus. Therefore, maybe you should consider drafting different resumes for the different jobs you've had and industries in which you've been involved.

For each resume you draft you should include your military background and awards. Finally, you could prepare a functional resume(s) that emphasizes your KSAs and puts your employment background lower.

Wowsa UPiD! We were reading his posts and replying at the same time.
Ever heard of the phrase that 'great minds think alike?' hehe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

20 months ago

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington said: The company advertised an ad on Craigslist. It said to reply and e-mail
your resume. Instead of just doing that, I sent an e-mail to the CEO (it was a small company). I think you somehow have to make things personal and sell yourself beyond just sending the resume. I'm not saying all the time it would work. It may even hinder in some cases. But I think it usually helps, especially when you have the sort of experience you have. I'm impressed by your experience.

Another job that I wanted, I knew it was working under the director of a University. So I sent an e-mail to her, after finding her e-mail on the website, and I told her why I wanted the job and would be good for it. Haven't heard from her yet - but I already got a job so I don't know if I'll pursue hers.

Also, even though you had someone look at your resume, you need to tailor each resume to the position and put in the keywords they've posted in the ad/website for jobs, etc. I would definitely recommend this. I might even (and have done this) place two sections above the EXPERIENCE section, titled SKILLS RELEVANT TO THE POSITION and ACHIEVEMENT RELEVANT TO THE POSITION.

Hope that helps. You have a lot to offer. I am so envious of your expertise with MS Office skills. I let mine lag cos' I dislike MS products, but that has hindered me significantly.

The email to CEO of small comp will work. Good advice.

The email to Director of University she will never reply back.

Tailoring your resume to each job is very important cause there are so many people unemployed that they will eventually find someone who's resume will be a perfect match. Good advice again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

ToBoeingOrNotToBoeing in Seattle, Washington said: Wowsa UPiD! We were reading his posts and replying at the same time.
Ever heard of the phrase that 'great minds think alike?' hehe
I noticed that, too.

I dunno how great my mind is, but I appreciate it, nonetheless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: I noticed that, too.

I dunno how great my mind is, but I appreciate it, nonetheless.

I really like your way of thinking and have appreciated your posts a lot. Now Joe, he's a whole different story. ;)

20 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: First off, thank you for putting yourself on the line for us.

No law firm will bite?

Dear Unemployed Paralegal,
Do you mean I should have the admissions resume, the administrative resume, etc...and then add the military to all of them?? So just have separate resumes? Sounds easy enough. But, what about not having certain jobs on my resumes and then it looks like an unemployed time for me, when there is not. I really appreciate they help though. You sound like you know what you are talking about, so as soon as I get clarification from you, I am going to run with this idea!!

20 months ago

Yes. IMO military is an asset. IMO it demonstrates leadership, organization and training. Military awards and commendations are impressive. I think it belongs on all your resumes. It can go just above the Education section. Be sure to list your accomplishments while in the Army in that section.

If you sense employment gaps on some resumes, you could still list liners for each job in an "Other Employment" section. Of course, you can create, and maybe should, create separate functional resumes for admissions and administrative. Your most recent field could be a chrono resume. Also consider that your resume is your document, meaning you need only go back ten years.

Ramblin Man in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

20 months ago

Get out of the legal market. Not high-growth.

20 months ago

I am not even trying in the legal field. I have a part time job now at target. go figure!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Henry in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

bshell1980 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Dear Unemployed Paralegal,
Do you mean I should have the admissions resume, the administrative resume, etc...and then add the military to all of them?? So just have separate resumes? Sounds easy enough. But, what about not having certain jobs on my resumes and then it looks like an unemployed time for me, when there is not. I really appreciate they help though. You sound like you know what you are talking about, so as soon as I get clarification from you, I am going to run with this idea!!

I definitely think you're getting excellent advice here. I am also a paralegal, and I just started using my customized, revamped resume(s). I have had calls for 4 interviews in the last 6 days. Don't pay someone to create your functional resume. Instead, take advantage of Pittsburgh's FREE CareerLink services. They have workshops every day in 4 different parts of the city, from drafting compelling resumes and cover letters to interviewing, civil service jobs and more. You need to tout your skills in a very specific way to stand out from the slush pile. After all, the cover letter and resume aren't supposed to get you a job. Their role is to get you an interview. If you keep a good, open attitude and follow a solid, skill-focused resume sample, you will definitely get the attention you're seeking. Good luck.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.