Weather in Portland

Comments (51 to 100 of 145)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Jo in Beaverton, Oregon

60 months ago

Allison88 in Hillsboro, Oregon said: Thanks for all the comments, reading them has truly made my day! I had the new messages delivered to my email inbox, and was terrified to open them, thanking I'd get some hate mail from the infamous "native Oregonian".

Oh, I have to talk about that phrase just a little more; I had seen that phrase in a yellow pages ad, and it was in huge lettering, and also in bold. You can bet I will NEVER use their business, not if it was the last business in the world. Guess they want to make it crystal clear just who they expect their clientele to be! Or rather, they expect a gold medal to be hung around their precious necks, since they were born here. Who can help where they were born? No one. (unless you're a REALLY talented baby in utero, willing your mother to move to a certain location). I guess it'd be cool if you were descended from someone famous, who knows, but definitely nothing to brag about.

I've heard definite bad things about the politicians; am I right in remembering there was a governor once who approved a billboard on the interstate that said "California, go home!" Wow. Talk about bad manners. I had a job here once where I talked about that to my coworkers, and they just laughed and laughed about it. Doesn't seem funny to me. Guess that governor didn't mind the "out of towners" spending their hard earned money on local businesses, though, or buying houses here.

Could not agree more about all the clog stores! haha Also agree about the summers, they are definitely nice and mostly milder from where I've lived in the past. Oh yes, I saw on the news about deleting a lane for cars, and turning it into a bike lane, WTF is the exact phrase to use in describing that! I have nothing against bikes whatsoever, but think it seems dangerous to ride so close to cars, haven't seen that anywhere else either.

I wouldn't recognize my neighbors if I saw them in the stores, the women hide indoors even in the summer, so unfriend

Ray in Savonlinna, Finland

60 months ago

I lived in Portland for 3 times total of 3yrs, and it was great, one of the best summers around anywhere, i also lived in Seattle for 2yrs, great too! Portland's a really good town to live with great food all over.....like those Walla Walla(WA) onion rings with BBQ dip from Burgerville, and good BBQ joints and Chinese and Mexican, and real nice people,friendly and courteous! I did some traveling around Oregon too...... Mt.Hood (Shining) Astoria, Coos Bay n' Depot Bay/Salem (One flew over the cockoo's nest) Eugene, Medford, Klamath Falls, Pendleton........GREAT TRAVELS IN OREGON......AND A WHOLE LOT MORE IN AMERICA......!!!!

Katie in San Antonio, Texas

59 months ago

Host said: What are the seasons like in Portland? How do Portland dwellers cope?[/QUOTE

Frankly I love the rain, I grew up in the North, never thought I would move farther South than Oregon. Gray cloudy days make me feel cozy. So, why did I leave? I was sick of the arrogance, sick of the inability to get meaningful work, the close mindedness to those that are different then the open minded people and the lack of true diversity. There is a lot of lip service to how groovy and liberal they all are, but I found it was pretty much talk and snobbishly aloof people that thought themselves a cut above anyone from anywhere else.

Ive found the South to be delightful and could not be paid enough to move back north.

Daniel in Warren, Oregon

56 months ago

Lived here all my life (39 years) and gotta say the 8 months of crappy weather does take a toll on me. The older I get, the more I want to leave. What happens every year is we have ~3.5 months of paradise and seem to forget that 2/3 of the time it is lousy. We're just stupid in that way I guess.

My parents and grandparents are Snowbirds and head down to the Yuma foothills from November through May. I have an established business here so can't do that.

Want to move here? It is not unusual to go 30-40 days or more without EVER seeing direct sunlight. You have to be an indoor person with indoor hobbies to be happy here.

Abigail in Puyallup, Washington

50 months ago

Host said: What are the seasons like in Portland? How do Portland dwellers cope?

Portland, OR native here. And what most people are saying about the weather here is not an exaggeration. It is NON-STOP cloudy and grey from November-May. If your lucky it will start getting nice in June, if not, you won't see the sun till July. So yeah 8-9 months of solid grey skys. BUT the 3 months it is nice here it's wonderful! I love summer here. It's green and vibrant so much outdoor stuff to do. Rivers and lakes to swim in, hiking, camping, biking etc. BUt yeah you got to make the most of it cause it goes quick.

Usually my year goes like this:

Lovely Summer for 3 months happy. Fall starts setting in, but since just having lots of sun, I like starting the 'cozy' hot chocolate weather and enjoy all the cheery holidays through December. But then January come aroung and it is Cold and now 3 months of straight clouds start to get to me. Feb-May I'm miserably sick and tired of the grey skies and going absolutely nuts for some sunshine. Desperate even. Deathly desperate for some sun. Murderously desperate for sun!!!! This is a good time to travel outside of Portland if you can. Then June comes Summer and I'm Happy for 3 months... Rinse and repeat. So about 4 months of the year the weather is absolutely intolerable. But eight months of the year it's good!

Soooo I dunno. Portland is a great city and as much as I hate the weather I don't really want to move.

But yeah, I'm ready to go kill someone for some sun right about now..............

Tobias in Portland, Oregon

49 months ago

Portland weather is awful, I moved here a little over a year ago and cannot get used to it. It rains and is gray for 9 months of the year. It is very depressing. Natives tell you the rain doesn't bother them, but you can tell, people are moody and irritable. Sun lights or SAAD lamps don't help. Then the sun comes out, everyone takes off from work, it's people non-stop outside, walking, running, biking. Humans can't be sun deprived for that long and stay sane. Portland is fun as far as restaurants, bars, wine, but no-one WANTS to be out in the rain. I hate it here, and will get out of here as soon as I can. Yes 3 months of beautiful weather is not enough.

Mary in Hillsboro, Oregon

48 months ago

Have lived here almost 17 years now, and am amazed I have lasted this long. The weather is absolutely HORRIBLE for 9-10 months/year! Until 2 years ago, I would tell "out of state" visitors that the 3 months of summer here were the nicest of anywhere else I have lived (Kansas City, Chicago, So Cal)...that after July 4, it was dry, sunny and warm with low humidity. Well, that doesn't even hold true anymore. We barely had any summer last year and it rained and was cool...then back to cloudy and more rain for who knows how long this year??? I think my heat will be on until mid June, at least! I want to open my windows really bad!The older I get, the harder it is to handle...if we had the money, I'd be SO outta here! The lush green and pretty landscape isn't worth it anymore. SO DEPRESSING!!!

pdxweather in Portland, Oregon

48 months ago

@Mary. I completely agree. I really do not think it is worth putting up with endless grey skies to only have 2 months of sunshine and that is if we are lucky! I cannot even remember where Portland had 5 days of clear skies in a row. I have lived in the South, the east coast and yes, in California, and there is nothing like blue, consistent blue skies, to waken you up and thrive!

tj in Scappoose, Oregon

48 months ago

Rufus Quail in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Some of these people may be dramatizing conditions to discourage newcomers. Oregonians tend to distrust newcomers.

It depends on what makes you comfortable. Depressed people tend to blame the weather. If they lived in Phoenix something else would depress them--the traffic maybe.

I lived in Portland for several years after growing up in California. The weather in Portland is mostly mild and pleasant. Sometimes in the winter you have icy conditions but not for prolonged periods. It is a damp climate, which will cut down on the need for moisturizers and sinus sprays. The dampness is what produces the inspiring greenery.

I would encourage anyone to give Portland a try.

WRONG--IT'S THE WEATHER! I moved here in 1998 and then moved to San Diego in 2000 to get sun! Cost of living was high and I moved back to Portland in 2002.....now in 2012 my life partner, Mother, and I are on our way back to San Diego FORVEVER! The rain and crap weather here is the worst emotional thing I have EVER been through! It is NOT paradise here...."f" the green and flowers....sunshine is what keep you alive people! Thx! LoveUGodBless, T and J KABBALAH MATTHEWSHEPARD MADONNALICIOUS ps....people here are ignorant and more from no sun--NOT GAY FRIENDLY EITHER AS ONE MAY THINK! Total hetero hunter/fisher men with huge trucks REDNECK CENTRAL!

tj in Scappoose, Oregon

48 months ago

Jon Blake in Portland, Oregon said: I am one of those natives, I went to Boring grade school, college, and now I work for Intel all in Orygun. I have been here for 40years. I HATE IT...The rain SUCKS...you WILL get depressed here...it is called cabin fever. We might not have the most rain, but we have the MOST CLOUDY SKIES, which means depression. I want to leave so bad but it is not the right time...I was thinking either Colorado, or Montana. Our summers are great here..but they do not last very long around 4 months max. Portland politics are the worse..did you know we just spent $80K to strip a seperate bike lane as an experiment. We are cutting teachers, police, and the homeless funds...but we can spend money on striping? WTF???

dude support cyclists thx a## loveugodbless ta nd j kabbalha matthewshepard madonnalicious

Brother Tom in Beaverton, Oregon

48 months ago

There are no Oregonians trying to keep people out of Oregon, in fact the opposite. Oregon needs to bring people back into the STate. The economy is so bad here that people are walking away from their houses and getting jobs in other states. It's more then true that the weather here is terrible as far as no sun. We live in a gray world here for 9 months. Lawns are overgrown, you are doing yard work non-stop because it grows like a jungle out here. It is much more expensive to live here then other places. State Income tax is 11%, property tax is twice as much as in the South, utilities double. The summer is beautiful for the 3 months. But everyone has been so cooped up that all outdoor activity is over crowded. The transit system here is the best anywhere, you can get anywhere you want riding the bus, for about $3.00. Washington and Oregon have the highest suicide rates in the country.....not because all the depressed people come here to off themselves, there's something to the no sun that impacts well being.

47 months ago

AmyVVV in Beaverton, Oregon said: I have lived here for seven years and I really can't take the weather anymore. It is now mid-July of 2009 and it is still raining. I hope to get out of here by spring of 2010. A wonderful town and beautiful flowers and nature and all of that, but the weather - and a few other factors - are driving me away. :(

Did you ever make it to a sunnier home.

RainedOUT in West Linn, Oregon

47 months ago

The only word that comes to mind is "miserable."
The weather is awful, as others have said, it rains 9-10 months of the year. That wouldn't be so bad if it was just brief downpours then sun, but NO it's constant grey skies. This year was particularly bad with heavy rain for months.
People are NOT friendly. I've been here over 12 years, and have only now gotten close enough to people to actually be invited over to their house. When I've extended invites, they were usually never reciprocated. (That is so weird and never happens in my native south)
I've also found many people here to be passive agressive, yet they find East coast folks to be "rude." (I love East Coast natives because they're usually direct)
Almost everyone is into the same thing - camping, saving the earth, protesting right-wing politics, biking. God forbid you utter a negative remark about Portland or fail to recycle/bike/drive a Subaru. Egads.
Incidently, I had never suffered from depression until moving here, and always had a large group of friends. I socialized a lot and knew all my neighbors. Now, I can't even get a smile returned from the folks next door.
Skip this awful place and move somewhere nice. After living in 5 countries, and at least 7 different US States, I can say definitively that Portland Oregon is a horrible wet hell hole.

47 months ago

Man, it is July 8, and it is cold. What is going on? Does Portland really even have a summer or is summer in Portland mean just a day or 2 of sunshine a week, at the most. After so many months of not even seeing a spec of sun, this is incredibly unfair.

mteverhart in Portland, Oregon

47 months ago

What are the seasons like in Portland? How do Portland dwellers cope?

I have lived here 30 years, and we DO seem to be having more cloudy/rainy days because there is more moisture in the air globally thanks to climate change. However, that morning chill in the summer you noted has often been normal, due to marine air arriving overnight. We have always said our three months of summer are really July, August, and September! Too bad the school calendars don't see it that way. --The Accidental Green Mom

JackInPDX in Gresham, Oregon

47 months ago

Host said: What are the seasons like in Portland? How do Portland dwellers cope?

I grew-up here and couldn't wait to get away! At age 25 I joined the military and spent 3 years in Germany. Holy smokes, the cold winters there!

When I got out I moved to Northern Ohio where I lived for 9 years. YIKES the 5-month long, cold winters, and muggy summers!

Then I moved to Tucson, Arizona where I lived for 15 years. I LOVED the sunshine for about 5 years, then the "endless summer" got old, then it got REAL old.

So I am back in PDX now with my wife and 5 year-old son and I have discovered that I LOVE this place. Yeah, it rains a lot, but not constantly, and guess what, we don't melt. There are so many parks and things to do compared to anywhere else I have lived; hiking, biking, lakes, rivers, mountains, and family outings, outdoors, indoors and "all of the above."

When I was 25 I would have been the first to discourage ANYONE from moving here, now having experienced many other places, there is nowhere on Earth I would rather live. Go figure.

Best of luck to you!

ak in Parker, Colorado

46 months ago

If you want to get to know Portland we have dedicated a facebook page to informing the public on all things Portland! Check it out www.facebook.com/PublicMarketspace.

muki in Edmonton, Alberta

46 months ago

I will check that out, but the majority of people who have replied are not 'in love' with Portland. I liked it when I was there. Twice. But the rain may be a bit much when it comes to living there. I hope your facebook site reflects the same honest feelings that these good people have written about.
Have a great day.

JASevins in Pleasant Hill, California

45 months ago

RainedOUT in West Linn, Oregon said: The only word that comes to mind is "miserable."
The weather is awful, as others have said, it rains 9-10 months of the year. That wouldn't be so bad if it was just brief downpours then sun, but NO it's constant grey skies. This year was particularly bad with heavy rain for months.
People are NOT friendly. I've been here over 12 years, and have only now gotten close enough to people to actually be invited over to their house. When I've extended invites, they were usually never reciprocated. (That is so weird and never happens in my native south)
I've also found many people here to be passive agressive, yet they find East coast folks to be "rude." (I love East Coast natives because they're usually direct)
Almost everyone is into the same thing - camping, saving the earth, protesting right-wing politics, biking. God forbid you utter a negative remark about Portland or fail to recycle/bike/drive a Subaru. Egads.
Incidently, I had never suffered from depression until moving here, and always had a large group of friends. I socialized a lot and knew all my neighbors. Now, I can't even get a smile returned from the folks next door.
Skip this awful place and move somewhere nice. After living in 5 countries, and at least 7 different US States, I can say definitively that Portland Oregon is a horrible wet hell hole.

There's nothing wrong with protesting right-wingers who deny global warming and Man's general 24/7 destruction of nature in the name of "growing needs" (i.e. human overpopulation). Ironically, global warming (climate change) may end up making Portland even wetter.

That aside, don't confuse innate respect for nature with classic liberalism; hippies, pot, etc. Nature equals LIFE itself, but right-wingers treat it like a disposable diaper. Many of them are Creationists who simply don't grasp nature's workings.

Leopold Talus in Portland, Oregon

45 months ago

Katherine in Vancouver, Washington said: P.s. you get 3-4 mos of sunshine here. Its not that cold, and in Portland...at the most about 2 weeks of snow. Mosly just 2 days of snow days where you really truly are snowed in.

hahaha... snowed in? NEVER happen here. you are obviously not from a place where it snows. where I'm from (IOWA) we may not get snow ALOT, but when we do it can be 2-4 feet at a time and not melt completely for several months. 3-6 inches is NOT snowed in. lol

Leopold Talus in Portland, Oregon

45 months ago

RainedOUT in West Linn, Oregon said: The only word that comes to mind is "miserable."

Odd... I've been here only around 9 months and I MISS the rain. it's been so freaking dry here it's ridiculous. Now.. out by the Ocean it rains ALOT, I've been there nearly 7 days and it rained 6 of them. I've heard this year has been fairly dry but still, I've almost forgot what rain looks like. That being said, there is very little wind, and the rain is just rain.. not storms. in fact.. I've walked home several times in the rain.. and I didn't even get wet. it's like a light mist.

dibakd in portland, Oregon

45 months ago

It isn't really the rain, it is lack of sun and blue sky for most of the year. There isn't any other part of the country except for Washington state that has weather like this and it is nothing to take lightly. There are only about 2-3 months that are sunny and then it is every day dark dark gray. People here get giddy in July/August when they have great weather. And it's easy to pretend the other 10 months don't happen, but they do. Some people handle it better then others, but most people I know agree, that the weather here is a problem and the 10 months of no sun does not make for a real happy place to be.

JackinPDX in Snoqualmie, Washington

45 months ago

These are the same comments I heard all my life growing up here. At age 25 I was solidly in the "can't wait to leave the rain" camp. Which I did. For the 24 years I was away I lived in Germany, Ohio, Alabama, and southern Arizona. I came back to Portland because I learned that every place has its good points, and its bad points. I loved things about each place I lived, but there was always something calling me back to Portland. The unique people, the landscape, Mt. Hood on the horizon, the Columbia River to the north, Wilamette snaking through the city, the scent of pine trees in summer, the massive number of parks...and yes, the seemingly ever-present rain, all combine to speak to me. This is home.

Winters are mild, snow is rare, and as someone pointed out, when it does snow the city comes to a halt. Back in Ohio they would laugh at that, in Tucson they would understand. Where the winters are always rough, they have hundreds of plows and sand/salt trucks at the ready. Where snow is rare, we don't. Simple as that.

I'm not saying Portland is for everyone. Obviously not. But every place has an unique ambiance, and this one strikes a chord for me and my family, including my 5 yr old son who loves puddle-jumping as much as I used to.

It's kind of like asking about food, or music. Some like haute cuisine with fine wine, and classical, others like burgers and beer served-up with classic rock. Who's right? Both of course!

Best of luck to everyone, and if you do choose Portland. Welcome.

JackinPDX in Snoqualmie, Washington

45 months ago

JackinPDX in Snoqualmie, Washington said: These are the same comments I heard all my life growing up here. At age 25 I was solidly in the "can't wait to leave the rain" camp. Which I did. For the 24 years I was away I lived in Germany, Ohio, Alabama, and southern Arizona. I came back to Portland because I learned that every place has its good points, and its bad points. I loved things about each place I lived, but there was always something calling me back to Portland. The unique people, the landscape, Mt. Hood on the horizon, the Columbia River to the north, Wilamette snaking through the city, the scent of pine trees in summer, the massive number of parks...and yes, the seemingly ever-present rain, all combine to speak to me. This is home.

Winters are mild, snow is rare, and as someone pointed out, when it does snow the city comes to a halt. Back in Ohio they would laugh at that, in Tucson they would understand. Where the winters are always rough, they have hundreds of plows and sand/salt trucks at the ready. Where snow is rare, we don't. Simple as that.

I'm not saying Portland is for everyone. Obviously not. But every place has an unique ambiance, and this one strikes a chord for me and my family, including my 5 yr old son who loves puddle-jumping as much as I used to.

It's kind of like asking about food, or music. Some like haute cuisine with fine wine, and classical, others like burgers and beer served-up with classic rock. Who's right? Both of course!

Best of luck to everyone, and if you do choose Portland. Welcome.

No idea why this says I live in Snoqualmie, Washington. Never even been there. I hear it's nice though.

roxygirl in Vancouver, Washington

45 months ago

it's interesting to see these comments come in over the years. I moved here 4 years ago and during the midst of the heavy winter rains and darkness i decided to google how people deal with weather in portland. ---it made me feel better knowing i am not the only one who can't tolerate the climate. For those of you who grew up in this darkness ...you probably don't understand. But for me who grew up in the clear skies of colorado, it's a miserable exchange to come to Portland. I truly believe the reason people continue to live here is that the summers (for the most part) are amazing! and they are. The sun is good at tricking your body into forgetting about the 8 months of hell you just went through. There are many other things i like and dislike about Portland, but I am moving in 2 months out of this area...lucky for me my job is letting me take over another territory because they understand the climate is too much for me. Yes other cities have good and bad, but for people like me who truly do SUFFER in the dark climate, leaving is a must. There will be very little I will miss about Portland :) Good luck to everyone and enjoy the beautiful couple of months we have left!

dibakd in portland, Oregon

45 months ago

Good luck! When you drive out and see that "Leaving Oregon" let out a whoop and wave Good-bye! It is a liberating feeling as you head past that sign into the sun, blue skies, and wide open spaces unblocked by moss strangled pine trees. You start feeling normal and happy again almost immediately. Colorado is a beautiful place, there is no-where else like it, few places will measure up, but none will be as gloomy as Portland. Good luck and good health!

44 months ago

roxygirl in Vancouver, Washington said: it's interesting to see these comments come in over the years. I moved here 4 years ago and during the midst of the heavy winter rains and darkness i decided to google how people deal with weather in portland. ---it made me feel better knowing i am not the only one who can't tolerate the climate. For those of you who grew up in this darkness ...you probably don't understand. But for me who grew up in the clear skies of colorado, it's a miserable exchange to come to Portland. I truly believe the reason people continue to live here is that the summers (for the most part) are amazing! and they are. The sun is good at tricking your body into forgetting about the 8 months of hell you just went through. There are many other things i like and dislike about Portland, but I am moving in 2 months out of this area...lucky for me my job is letting me take over another territory because they understand the climate is too much for me. Yes other cities have good and bad, but for people like me who truly do SUFFER in the dark climate, leaving is a must. There will be very little I will miss about Portland :) Good luck to everyone and enjoy the beautiful couple of months we have left!

I am jelous!!!!! But best of luck!

Andy1976 in Portland, Oregon

44 months ago

Wow, I'm glad to know I'm not alone! :) I moved here with my family a little over a year and a half ago for work. I had previously lived in Eugene during college and thought it would be great to come back. Whoa, going to college where you have to be indoors vs. living in Oregon where you actually need to be outdoors for work is quite a difference. I've been severely affected by the lack of sun and this past year was horrible. I rue the day my boss convinced me to come out here to manage the office. Summer didn't even really arrive until Mid August and it lasted what, a month! Now it's raining again, snow up on Mt. Hood. Winter is on the way already. They said that usually the first sign of snow on Mt. Hood is mid October. So much for that "beautiful summer" everyone claims is so great and the reason to put up with the other 8-10 months of clouds and rain. Fortunately, I've been offered a dream job back in my home state of South Dakota. Yes, it get cold there in the winter (sub zero cold!!!) But at least the sun is shining :)

tahrah smithe in Portland, Oregon

43 months ago

Andy1976 in Portland, Oregon said: Wow, I'm glad to know I'm not alone! :) I moved here with my family a little over a year and a half ago for work. I had previously lived in Eugene during college and thought it would be great to come back. Whoa, going to college where you have to be indoors vs. living in Oregon where you actually need to be outdoors for work is quite a difference. I've been severely affected by the lack of sun and this past year was horrible. I rue the day my boss convinced me to come out here to manage the office. Summer didn't even really arrive until Mid August and it lasted what, a month! Now it's raining again, snow up on Mt. Hood. Winter is on the way already. They said that usually the first sign of snow on Mt. Hood is mid October. So much for that "beautiful summer" everyone claims is so great and the reason to put up with the other 8-10 months of clouds and rain. Fortunately, I've been offered a dream job back in my home state of South Dakota. Yes, it get cold there in the winter (sub zero cold!!!) But at least the sun is shining :)

Midwest states don't hype up their image and deceive people. Then deny there's too much rain or cloudiness. There's a big cozy difference sitting in your house in front of a fire, with the dog lying in the patch of sunlight coming in through the window, while you look outside at your yard covered in snow, and feel happy because you are still getting your daily dose of sun! As opposed to sitting at home, all the lights turned on because there is no natural light, and you look out the window and only see dreariness for days on end. And the dog won't even go outside in it. Enjoy your escape!

OahuTransplant in Vancouver, Washington

43 months ago

Wow, just saw this Discussion and thought I'd put my 2 cents in....

As you can tell by my username, I'm from Hawaii - born and raised. I recently moved to the area 2 years ago. Call me crazy but I love the rain, the cold temps, the gray skies, and the need to buy sweaters and jackets and bundle up! I think I had my life quota of hot and humid weather!
The only thing I dislike (weather-wise) is when it turns icy, and I won't drive when it's foggy. Now it's Fall and the colors are gorgeous!! I get to experience 4 seasons rather than just 1 (summer).

Now it would be perfect if I could only find a job. :)

talulah Bivens in Portland, Oregon

42 months ago

Still gloomy. same ole same ole. day in day out. gray gray, gray...unhappy judgemental people, ticked off drivers, traffic, crime, stealing anything that's not nailed down. Get yourself a lot of cash if you move here, so you can fly out every other weekend to enjoy the sun and normal people who don't fly off the handle every time someone does something minor they don't like. It's like living in purgatory (purgatory is not heat, it's absence of sunlight for days on end).

42 months ago

talulah Bivens in Portland, Oregon said: Still gloomy. same ole same ole. day in day out. gray gray, gray...unhappy judgemental people, ticked off drivers, traffic, crime, stealing anything that's not nailed down. Get yourself a lot of cash if you move here, so you can fly out every other weekend to enjoy the sun and normal people who don't fly off the handle every time someone does something minor they don't like. It's like living in purgatory (purgatory is not heat, it's absence of sunlight for days on end).

So true. I have noticed an extreme lack of patience in people here. I do believe it is related to the weather. It is gloomy and gray for so much of the year. A friend who visited me during our so called beautiful season said "I do not know how you do it. I would be fat and depressed if I lived here."

PDXtruthteller in San Jose, California

39 months ago

Just moved back to CA after 6 years in Portland. I handled the weather just fine for about 3 years. Then we had our first child, and so badly wanted to take him outside and couldn't because of the non-stop rain / cold. Frustration reached its max last May as the cold and rain lingered, so I finally took a job in CA. Best move I have ever made. Took my boy outside to ride his bike in Jan., and it never felt better.

Oh, the problem in the Spring is that when a sunny nice day comes around, it is terribly crowded everywhere because everybody wants to get outside. On that Spring sunny day, forget taking your kid to the park because the grass is so soaked that you don't even want to step in it. Or the slide is still wet the kids can't play. On clear days in the Spring, it is usually very chilly all morning too (because the clouds are gone), so you may only have a 3 hour window of nice weather.

Another little dirty PDX secret: The weatherman ALWAYS overstimate the weather forcast 5 days out to be warmer and sunnier than it actually will be. I think this is their conspiracy to keep people sane during the winter/spring.

Peace!

stacey

39 months ago

Again, as others have noted, Portland has a mild temperatures, on average, compared to other states. Compared to the ugly desert, where real flowers, real grass and real trees are a rarity, it's freezing! The beauty of Oregon is unsurpassed.. Period! Heard of famous Bend? Beautiful Bend gets a lot more sunshine than Portland, as it's in the high desert. Regardless, there is no other state that can beat out Oregon's beauty. And there is no other city that can beat out Portland, "The Rose City," or "Bridgetown" for its beauty. Good luck finding that kind of beauty, and which is near the mountains, not too far from the desert and very close to gorgeous beaches! There is a reason why Portland is featured in so many movies, TV shows and magazines! And we have plenty of gorgeous sunshine today, and many days, too!

PDXtruthteller in San Jose, California

39 months ago

stacey said: Again, as others have noted, Portland has a mild temperatures, on average, compared to other states. Compared to the ugly desert, where real flowers, real grass and real trees are a rarity, it's freezing! The beauty of Oregon is unsurpassed.. Period! Heard of famous Bend? Beautiful Bend gets a lot more sunshine than Portland, as it's in the high desert. Regardless, there is no other state that can beat out Oregon's beauty. And there is no other city that can beat out Portland, "The Rose City," or "Bridgetown" for its beauty. Good luck finding that kind of beauty, and which is near the mountains, not too far from the desert and very close to gorgeous beaches! There is a reason why Portland is featured in so many movies, TV shows and magazines! And we have plenty of gorgeous sunshine today, and many days, too!

Oh, and I forgot to add the strange phenomenon of native Oregonians...they seem to have a serious inferiority complex. I never could understand why. Could be they need to do it to make themselves happier during the grey months. They always try to convince people how nice the weather is there and how they'd rather have rain than shoveling snow, or hot desert weather, etc. But if you go to AZ, you don't feel the same complex. They just say "you get used to the heat"....they don't bad mouth the Pacific NW.

Rick in Portland, Oregon

39 months ago

Many people won't get "used to" 120 degrees in the summer or even 85 degrees in the winter. And I haven't experienced that kind of slanted views by people who live in Portland. I've lived here all my life.. And there is a pride, sure.. People love living in the outdoor mecca state. Hence, the population has been booming in Portland for the past 20-30 years, while the population in other larger cities has been declining. And Stacey is right, it does top many sources' lists of the best, including best city to live in. I've seen many in the past 15 years or so.. Also, Portland gets a heck of a lot less rain than many tropical cities which Wikipedia even describe as "muggy," such as Miami.. And many others. Portland is the bomb to many, many people.. Sorry if it's not for you. Please do us all a favor and move out if it isn't.

PDXtruthteller in Los Gatos, California

39 months ago

Rick in Portland, Oregon said: Many people won't get "used to" 120 degrees in the summer or even 85 degrees in the winter. And I haven't experienced that kind of slanted views by people who live in Portland. I've lived here all my life.. And there is a pride, sure.. People love living in the outdoor mecca state. Hence, the population has been booming in Portland for the past 20-30 years, while the population in other larger cities has been declining. And Stacey is right, it does top many sources' lists of the best, including best city to live in. I've seen many in the past 15 years or so.. Also, Portland gets a heck of a lot less rain than many tropical cities which Wikipedia even describe as "muggy," such as Miami.. And many others. Portland is the bomb to many, many people.. Sorry if it's not for you. Please do us all a favor and move out if it isn't.

I did move, and your comments underscore my point. The point of this discussion is to give somebody thinking about moving to Portland area real pespective and experiences, not misleading statistics suggesting that because Portland gets less rain than Honolulu the weather is great. If you don't mind cold rain and grey skies for the better part of 8 months, Portland is wonderful.

Be mindful of "best places to live" lists. I recently read that McMinnville was on a top 10 list as a place to retire. Total joke...since when do old people like the rain and cold? I bet the author read that there are wineries in Oregon, and McMinnville was the biggest town close to the wineries and had cheap housing. That is a generally depressing city, and the housing is cheap for a reason!

38 months ago

PDXtruthteller in San Jose, California said: Just moved back to CA after 6 years in Portland. I handled the weather just fine for about 3 years. Then we had our first child, and so badly wanted to take him outside and couldn't because of the non-stop rain / cold. Frustration reached its max last May as the cold and rain lingered, so I finally took a job in CA. Best move I have ever made. Took my boy outside to ride his bike in Jan., and it never felt better.

Oh, the problem in the Spring is that when a sunny nice day comes around, it is terribly crowded everywhere because everybody wants to get outside. On that Spring sunny day, forget taking your kid to the park because the grass is so soaked that you don't even want to step in it. Or the slide is still wet the kids can't play. On clear days in the Spring, it is usually very chilly all morning too (because the clouds are gone), so you may only have a 3 hour window of nice weather.

Another little dirty PDX secret: The weatherman ALWAYS overstimate the weather forcast 5 days out to be warmer and sunnier than it actually will be. I think this is their conspiracy to keep people sane during the winter/spring.

Peace!

How hard was it to find a job on California? I think I have been here much too long. I lived in California, Louisiana, D.CC. and Virginia and am ready to get the hell out of Oregon. I cannot believe I ended up in a place where you are stuck inside most of the year. I am raising my children here, and I envy my siblings all who are raising their children in California. I love visiting them and seeing the kids playing outside all day long. My children adore it too. It just does not make sense being inside all day. Even on the east coast, we were outside so much more because it wasn't nearly as rainy, and the Spring was mostly beautiful. You had sunshine, you could wear shorts, you could picnic on the DRY grass, you barbecued.!!!!

38 months ago

PDXtruthteller in San Jose, California said: Just moved back to CA after 6 years in Portland. I handled the weather just fine for about 3 years. Then we had our first child, and so badly wanted to take him outside and couldn't because of the non-stop rain / cold. Frustration reached its max last May as the cold and rain lingered, so I finally took a job in CA. Best move I have ever made. Took my boy outside to ride his bike in Jan., and it never felt better.

Peace!

How hard was it to find a job on California? I think I have been here much too long. I lived in California, Louisiana, D.CC. and Virginia and am ready to get the hell out of Oregon. I cannot believe I ended up in a place where you are stuck inside most of the year. I am raising my children here, and I envy my siblings all who are raising their children in California. I love visiting them and seeing the kids playing outside all day long. My children adore it too. It just does not make sense being inside all day. Even on the east coast, we were outside so much more because it wasn't nearly as rainy, and the Spring was mostly beautiful. You had sunshine, you could wear shorts, you could picnic on the DRY grass, you barbecued.!!!!

38 months ago

stacey said: Again, as others have noted, Portland has a mild temperatures, on average, compared to other states. Compared to the ugly desert, where real flowers, real grass and real trees are a rarity, it's freezing! The beauty of Oregon is unsurpassed.. Period! Heard of famous Bend? Beautiful Bend gets a lot more sunshine than Portland, as it's in the high desert. Regardless, there is no other state that can beat out Oregon's beauty. And there is no other city that can beat out Portland, "The Rose City," or "Bridgetown" for its beauty. Good luck finding that kind of beauty, and which is near the mountains, not too far from the desert and very close to gorgeous beaches! There is a reason why Portland is featured in so many movies, TV shows and magazines! And we have plenty of gorgeous sunshine today, and many days, too!

Yes, we are near beaches, but you can't swim in them. Also, sunshine make everything more beautiful.

38 months ago

PDXtruthteller in San Jose, California said: Oh, and I forgot to add the strange phenomenon of native Oregonians...they seem to have a serious inferiority complex. I never could understand why. Could be they need to do it to make themselves happier during the grey months. They always try to convince people how nice the weather is there and how they'd rather have rain than shoveling snow, or hot desert weather, etc. But if you go to AZ, you don't feel the same complex. They just say "you get used to the heat"....they don't bad mouth the Pacific NW.

AGREE!

38 months ago

Two years ago, Portland was voted most depressing city in the entire U.S. by Business Week

38 months ago

PDXtruthteller in Los Gatos, California said: I did move, and your comments underscore my point. The point of this discussion is to give somebody thinking about moving to Portland area real pespective and experiences, not misleading statistics suggesting that because Portland gets less rain than Honolulu the weather is great. If you don't mind cold rain and grey skies for the better part of 8 months, Portland is wonderful.

Be mindful of "best places to live" lists. I recently read that McMinnville was on a top 10 list as a place to retire. Total joke...since when do old people like the rain and cold? I bet the author read that there are wineries in Oregon, and McMinnville was the biggest town close to the wineries and had cheap housing. That is a generally depressing city, and the housing is cheap for a reason!

Just two years ago, Portland was voted most depressing city in the ENTIRE U.S. by Business Week..

stacey in Austin, Texas

38 months ago

www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/best-towns/Portland-Oregon.html

And there are countless more of these.
Adam Carolla: "Portland is like heaven compared to Hell-A. There is no comparison."

Last week, with a few weeks left of winter to go, Portland was sunny and in the 60's. One day reached 66. So, which "8 months of grey" are you referring to?? Obviously, we have some know-it-alls here who refuse to acknowledge that they are making very skewed statements. Damn all the rest of us who have lived here all our lives, right?? We don't know anything at all, neither does Outside Magazine and all the thousands of others who rave about Portland's beauty, including its weather. You are the weather kings who shall have THE final say. What a joke!

38 months ago

stacey in Austin, Texas said: www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/best-towns/Portland-Oregon.html

Adam Carolla: "Portland is like heaven compared to Hell-A. There is no comparison."

Last week, with a few weeks left of winter to go, Portland was sunny and in the 60's. One day reached 66. So, which "8 months of grey" are you referring to?? Obviously, we have some know-it-alls here who refuse to acknowledge that they are making very skewed statements. Damn all the rest of us who have lived here all our lives, right?? We don't know anything at all, neither does Outside Magazine and all the thousands of others who rave about Portland's beauty, including its weather. You are the weather kings who shall have THE final say. What a joke!

Read the comment section on the outside on line post and then research the number of clear days Portland has per year.

PDXtruthteller in Sunnyvale, California

38 months ago

pdxweather in Portland, Oregon said: How hard was it to find a job on California? I think I have been here much too long. I lived in California, Louisiana, D.CC. and Virginia and am ready to get the hell out of Oregon. I cannot believe I ended up in a place where you are stuck inside most of the year. I am raising my children here, and I envy my siblings all who are raising their children in California. I love visiting them and seeing the kids playing outside all day long. My children adore it too. It just does not make sense being inside all day. Even on the east coast, we were outside so much more because it wasn't nearly as rainy, and the Spring was mostly beautiful. You had sunshine, you could wear shorts, you could picnic on the DRY grass, you barbecued.!!!!

The job market is much, much better. The issue is cost of living. I was fortunate enough to get a job that paid me about $1k more per month, which more or less covers the increase in housing costs for rentals. I still own my home in pdx, but rent it out. while I prefer living in a house over renting, I find myself much happier in the sunshine. Good luck!

PDXtruthteller in Sunnyvale, California

38 months ago

stacey in Austin, Texas said: www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/best-towns/Portland-Oregon.html

Here we go again....one nice day sandwiched into 2 weeks of cold rain and you point out how great that is. It is amazing how sensative Portlanders are about their gloomy weather.

I'm just trying to give usefull information to people who have concerns about moving to Portland. Many parts of Portland are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. But for people that like sunshine, my guess is that you'll be depressed for a good part of the year because it is VERY grey. Moving is a tremendous expense and big undertaking, so you don't want to move and realize 2 years later you miss the sun.

Best of luck all

Tommy in Hillsboro, Oregon

38 months ago

I am from Southern California and I have been living in the Portland area for 7 months now. There is no culture here in Portland, OR. Everywhere looks ghetto except for the suburbs.

Well, if you like icy cold wind, months of rain, snow flurries, dampness, lack of consistent sun for 6+ months, coffee, popping vitamin D-3 pills to compensate for the lack of sun, slow driving - 55 mph, irate egotistic people with psychological issues, MOLD problems in your apts/homes due to dampness, dogs - almost everyone has a dog, dating obese women/men - there are a lot of fat people, bad over priced Mexican, Thai, and Vietnamese food, monthly protests in downtown Portland, and WORSE OF ALL - the large homeless population and backpackers, who hoard the streets...once they spot you they will come towards you and beg for $$$. I am planning on returning to California or somewhere with sun.

Tommy in Hillsboro, Oregon

38 months ago

I am from Southern California and I have been living in the Portland area for 7 months now. There is no culture here in Portland, OR. Everywhere looks ghetto except for the suburbs.

Well, if you like icy cold wind, months of rain, snow flurries, dampness, lack of consistent sun for 6+ months, coffee, popping vitamin D-3 pills to compensate for the lack of sun, slow driving - 55 mph, irate egotistic people with psychological issues, MOLD problems in your apts/homes due to dampness, dogs - almost everyone has a dog, dating obese women/men - there are a lot of fat people, bad over priced Mexican, Thai, and Vietnamese food, monthly protests in downtown Portland, and WORSE OF ALL - the large homeless population and backpackers, who hoard the streets...once they spot you they will come towards you and beg for $$$. I am planning on returning to California or somewhere with sun.

U R Right in Portland, Oregon

38 months ago

Soooo...what are you complaining about? MOVE AWAY if you don't like Portland! We won't miss you.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.