What are the best neigborhoods in Raleigh-durham?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

Where is the good life? For families? Singles?

Reply - Report abuse

Post Doc in Brooklyn, New York

10 months ago

My family and I are relocating to RDU in June. I'm a newly minted PhD who will be looking for academic work. We've visited several times and we really like the area. As we come closer to the moving date, we need to narrow our real estate search, so I need neighborhood recommendations. We don't particularly care for Cary, which seems to be the first place people recommend. We're looking for a quiet middle to upper-middle class neighborhood, not too far from the city. We garden and would like a sizable lot. We have 2 kids who are homeschooled, so school systems are not of concern to us. We don't care for strip malls. We're happy with older homes or new construction. We really just want a nice place in a nice neighborhood. Commutes for us now are 45mins to over an hour. We don't know where we'll be working, so I can't really draw a radius yet, but we figure and hour out from the airport is it for us. We want diversity or at least tolerance. We are in a racially mixed neighborhood now and don't want that to change. People have mentioned Morrisville and Garner, but I've heard mixed reviews. We've looked at properties in Holly Springs and Apex, either is fine. Farmers markets and access to organic foods is important. Suggestions anyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.