Anyone else having a hard time finding employment in Accounting / Finance field?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Ryan in Cary, North Carolina

69 months ago

So I've been living here for about 15 months, and the only accounting related jobs I have worked have been straight contract assignments.I have a solid 4 years experience and I?m not seeking an unrealistic salary for the area, there is just nothing going on. I?ve pretty much been out of work since the middle of May. I can?t tell you how many different staffing agencies I?ve talked to and it?s all the same story.

I just find it hard to believe that this is supposedly one of the fastest growing areas in the U.S. and I still cannot find a permanent job.

Maybe I?m just unlucky??.

Anyone else in the same situation??
Got any advice?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pollyanna in East Lyme, Connecticut

69 months ago

I'm in the same position, having been out of work since March. I'm a former CPA with seven years of experience on Wall Street. Due to my career path, I am best suited for a middle management position with a larger organization or upper management position with a smaller organization.

Here in Southeastern CT, the job market is extremely tight. We are seeing a lot of layoffs and it appears that there are hiring freezes as well. I have been the top candidate several times, only to have the position withdrawn due to the economy. In theory, the demand for these types of jobs should go up when the economy is rough, but that does not appear to be the case right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Huntersville, North Carolina

61 months ago

Ryan in Cary, North Carolina said: So I've been living here for about 15 months, and the only accounting related jobs I have worked have been straight contract assignments.I have a solid 4 years experience and I?m not seeking an unrealistic salary for the area, there is just nothing going on. I?ve pretty much been out of work since the middle of May. I can?t tell you how many different staffing agencies I?ve talked to and it?s all the same story.

I just find it hard to believe that this is supposedly one of the fastest growing areas in the U.S. and I still cannot find a permanent job.

Got any advice?

Thanks

Guys, I am in the same boat in Charlotte. What these companies are doing when a position is open is hiring family members of existing employees--a little unfair if you ask me especially the fact that accountant and companies ar always avoind conflict of interest--in today economy its who you know instead of qualification--I have 7 years experience in public accounting and applied to some entry level positions because salary doesnt matter right now only to find out that they are pursuing other candidates--WTF--I ask why and they dont respond--

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I say hang in there and enjoy your time off--the economy will pick up and you will be in demand.

Penny in Cary, North Carolina

59 months ago

Ryan in Cary, North Carolina said: So I've been living here for about 15 months, and the only accounting related jobs I have worked have been straight contract assignments.I have a solid 4 years experience and I?m not seeking an unrealistic salary for the area, there is just nothing going on. I?ve pretty much been out of work since the middle of May. I can?t tell you how many different staffing agencies I?ve talked to and it?s all the same story.

Got any advice?

Thanks

You are not alone. I have lived here two years, have worked two separate tax jobs, but other than that spending the rest of the year attempting not to lose my mind as I apply to countless jobs while never receiving even an acknowledgement. I believed that 10 Years of experience and a solid education would land me a job in no time. When you consider the economy, business closings and layoff's and the number of schools churning out fresh graduates from local colleges it would appear that they would be the priority. I am really making an attempt to understand the mindset, but to me experienced accountants have a lot to offer no matter where they come from -- what a shame.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Maybe what we need to do is falsify our resume and experience so we can at least get in the door. I bet that what these people getting job are doing and than since they spend money on hiring them they keep them around--I am about to put in there that I worked as an accountant for BUsh and Obama--LOL--maybe that will get them my attention--but yeah I am enjoying my time off but at the same time its like a long road trip to success that you have made a long pit stop--you need to start getting on the road--if I am unemployed by end of the year I will consider relocating anywhere--

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

michellesmom78

59 months ago

Hey, I have a friend that was looking for a job as well and had the same experience. She tried some different things to draw more attention to herself, and increase her ability to compete with all the other people out there looking for a job right now. She recommends auroncareerservices.com/ and says since she has worked with them she is getting some awesome interviews. Hope this helps, good luck!

-M

Got any advice?

Thanks

flattwist in Dunn, North Carolina

58 months ago

I know this response is 10mths late, but better now than later. I hate to break the bad news to you, but it's who you know. If you don't know anyone, you might as well hang it up.

Got any advice?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cam in Lebanon, New Hampshire

58 months ago

try being a recent graduate and trying to get a job in this field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Raleigh, North Carolina

48 months ago

You are correct, its who you know! My son applied for a job @ Duke Raleigh Hospital 2 years experience in the position and subsequently I was hospitalized there 2 weeks after his interview. Don't you know one of the people who was taking care of me was in TRAINING! Didn't have a clue what he was suppose to do. I in a friendly way asked him some questions he said, "THEY HIRED ME BECAUSE MY MOM IS A NURSE ON THE 4TH FLOOR I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT WORKING IN A HOSPITAL, I USED TO WORK IN FAST FOODS" My son was fuming!!! What can you do. That is song wrong. The state needs to intercede in that!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ryan in Apex, North Carolina

48 months ago

To everyone that’s viewed or responded to my original post, I hope things have changed for the better and you have found some type of employment. I don’t think I’ve checked this forum since I posted some 20 months ago, but I will say I have noticed a gradual increase In the number of company’s hiring again in the Raleigh area. Staffing agencies have also been telling me the same.

Contract opportunities seem to be what these companies are hiring, and trust me when I say they’re better than nothing. Most times they will bring you on full-time after a lengthy contract if the situation is ideal.

If you’re not sick and tired of contacting staffing agencies, I would recommend getting in touch with Mitzi at Kelly Financial Resources at the Raleigh branch.
She just placed me at a company on Airport Blvd. about 3 weeks ago. I was fortunate to only be out of work less than a week, but that was nothing more than pure luck. Sometimes “right place, right time” can be as important as who you know.

Today is 07/14/2010, when I spoke with her a few weeks ago, she mentioned having several accounting/finance positions she was working on in the triangle and one in Sanford.

Melissa from Accountants International in Raleigh is also very good, and has placed me a few times as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.