What are the best neigborhoods in Raleigh?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 115)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Host

Where is the good life? For families? Singles?

Reply - Report abuse

asres in Winston Salem, North Carolina

79 months ago

Vicky in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I did the same thing you are doing before I moved here. What I have learned personally in the 8 years I have been here from WV is this:
1. Do not live in South Raleigh or SE Raleigh. This is a primarily black high crime area.
2. You will not find 1 acre of land anywhere. I thouhgt of buying a modular home and would have had to go way, way out of town for property and it still wasn't cheap.
3. There are subdivisions everywhere here. Not too many just plain houses on streets. Check the home owners dues. Some can be terrible.
4. Drive the area you are looking at on Sat. nite and on Sunday during the day. Check out the neighbors and neighborhood.
5. Outer lying areas like Knightdale, Garner, Clayton, Wendell, Zebulon are not that far from everything but is more rural, more property, smaller little towns. There are less blacks and Mexicans here and since towns are smaller, there is a little less crime.

That’s a very racist and xenophobic way of describing the city of Raleigh. If you go to Atlanta, you would see a lot of black neighborhood that are similar to Beverly hill neighborhood economically hence had a very low crime rate. The same is true for most of the higher-income neighborhoods everywhere in America. My point is it is not their “race” or their skin color that made the place crime ridden but their social status. They are poor so they steal, kill and do anything to survive. So if I were you I would say, don’t go the south side Raleigh because it is a low income neighborhood. I am a black man and work in on of the biotech companies and live in cary. A lot of black live there as well as and Whites but I rarely hear gun shots.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (249) / No (108) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Wake Forest, North Carolina

79 months ago

asres in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: That’s a very racist and xenophobic way of describing the city of Raleigh. If you go to Atlanta, you would see a lot of black neighborhood that are similar to Beverly hill neighborhood economically hence had a very low crime rate. The same is true for most of the higher-income neighborhoods everywhere in America. My point is it is not their “race” or their skin color that made the place crime ridden but their social status. They are poor so they steal, kill and do anything to survive. So if I were you I would say, don’t go the south side Raleigh because it is a low income neighborhood. I am a black man and work in on of the biotech companies and live in cary. A lot of black live there as well as and Whites but I rarely hear gun shots.

I disagree with you...It's not about being racist or hate against blacks/mexicans. The fact is that most of the crimes are committed in many cities are by blacks and mexicans. So, you can't blame people for wanting to stay away from bad areas with high population of blacks. I don't have any problems with blacks nor mexicans but I DO have problems with CRIMES! Whenever I see NC news, most of the crimes are committed by blacks. Yes, there are also so many nice blacks but some terrible gangs/thugs/murderers who are blacks. I'm sorrry but I'm not shameful to say that I want to live in white dominant neighborhoods cause I want to live in peace! So, don't blame those people who wants to live in safer neighborhood with less blacks instead blame on those black thugs who shoot and kill innocent people. Got it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (146) / No (237) Reply - Report abuse

vicky in Raleigh, North Carolina

78 months ago

Thank you Jenny. This was not meant to be racist, only a "safe" suggestion to a family moving from the north to a large city. I come from a very small town in the north where you don't hear about murders and rape all throughout the city. I have black friends that would prefer to not live in SE Raleigh because of the high crimes. ex: man found shot to death in the middle of the road just last nite! Whether it is a poor part of town, an uneducated part or just a high crime area, plain and simple, it's not a very safe part of town. I spend alot of time in SE Raleigh, and I've seen it. The retired teacher that was shot to death outside of her home in broad daylight--that is behind my boyfriends home. So, yes, I do know what I am speaking about. Not just racist remarks. I have black neighbors and latino neighbors, but I live in a safer neighborhood. so by saying "This is a primarily black high crime area" this is not a racist remark, but a fact.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (104) / No (100) Reply - Report abuse

vicky in Raleigh, North Carolina

78 months ago

Tiffany, I started a feud on here by trying to tell someone where the safer areas of town are, as I did checking also before I moved here a few years ago. I live outside of the city limits but still in the county. I don't know what an LPN makes in PA, but it wasn't much in WV. About double here. I have a 3 BDR house in a decent neighborhood with only $25.00 a month homeowners fees for a pool, tennis court and a clubhouse, and plenty of kids. I pd about $100K for mine. In WV that is outrageous! But here, that is minimal. Check out the Knightdale area and surrounding and Wake Forest (it's a growing small town outside of Raleigh). Both are within 30 minutes of driving to 3 major hospitals and many urgent cares and Dr. offices in Raleigh, and Durham. Go to careerbuilder.com and find jobs here. The News and Observor is the local paper you can check out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Eniherine in Durham, North Carolina

78 months ago

vicky in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Thank you Jenny. This was not meant to be racist, only a "safe" suggestion to a family moving from the north to a large city. I come from a very small town in the north where you don't hear about murders and rape all throughout the city. I have black friends that would prefer to not live in SE Raleigh because of the high crimes. ex: man found shot to death in the middle of the road just last nite! Whether it is a poor part of town, an uneducated part or just a high crime area, plain and simple, it's not a very safe part of town. I spend alot of time in SE Raleigh, and I've seen it. The retired teacher that was shot to death outside of her home in broad daylight--that is behind my boyfriends home. So, yes, I do know what I am speaking about. Not just racist remarks. I have black neighbors and latino neighbors, but I live in a safer neighborhood. so by saying "This is a primarily black high crime area" this is not a racist remark, but a fact.

Vickie, People commit crimes, not just blacks or mexicans. You make it sound like only theses two type of people commit crimes. I hear you and you may be sincere about not being a racist but your remarks are opposite. You and your attitude are not safe. Report your area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (134) / No (71) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Branch, Arkansas

77 months ago

sandy coll in Bayonne, New Jersey said: I would like to know were in raleigh is a small quiet safe town to live in?

Raleigh IS a town!
Cary and Apex are great and growing! I-40 and US Hwy 1 exit if you are on the beltline around raleigh! its just right there close!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sandy coll in Bayonne, New Jersey

76 months ago

I am also moving to north carolina I have been there before to visit It is very nice and the people are very friendly try areas like cary and apex they were voted the best areas to live in raleigh.and the safest also call the chamber of commerce for a relocation guide.good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Raleigh native in Richmond, Virginia

72 months ago

I don't know why this says Im in Richmond!! I'm stationed at Fort Lee Virginia in the Army..well Im close to Richmond

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Knightdale, North Carolina

71 months ago

Scott in Millersville, Maryland said: My wife and I are planning on moving to Raleigh/Durham within 6 months. We'd like to find a nice neighborhood with decent schools and a home or buildable lot between 1 and 3 acres. Any Suggestions? Any areas to avoid for traffic/crime/etc?
Much appreciated.

I live in a quiet little subdivision East of Raleigh. My home is actually located in bewteen Knightdale/Clayton/Raleigh These lots range in size from 1-3 acres(I had to purchase this size because I have (2) large German Shepherds-yes they are in a fence-we do have a "leash law" in Wake County; in addition, I do not like to live practically right on top of my neighbors, whereas you can hear everything that goes on! I am 5 minutes from access to any major highways(540/70/264/440/40). There is NO crime in this neighborhood. There is an actual sheriff living in the first house upon entering this subdivision. My property value has went up almost $50k in 1 1/2 years. I have no children, but my neighbors have a chid that goes to private school, and I have also seen a few school buses in this neighborhood. There is currently one lot for sale in my subdivision. The name of the subdivision is Auburn Hills, located off of Auburn-Knightdale Road in Raleigh, NC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

toplady in Raleigh, North Carolina

60 months ago

Honesly Speaking,its not where u go it who u are

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Dena in Raleigh, North Carolina

53 months ago

I moved to Raleigh from Floria 5 years ago and I have found it to be very tolerant, safe, and a pleasant place to live. We were told to stay away from Southeast Raleigh "the hood" when we moved here and once we saw Southeast Raleigh we had to laugh - anyone who thinks that's the hood should move to Philly or South Tampa. I have also had great success in the job market, as have my friends and family who have moved here over the past 5 years. Our housing market is doing MUCH better than much of the country. I know people in other states who owe hundreds of thousands more than their houses are worth.

Raleigh is also a very diverse place - many races, genders, and sexual orientations. I love that about it... some do not...

I am bisexual and I have many gay friends. The only family in my neighborhood to forbid their daughter from playing with mine because of this? The black family. I found this way more offensive than I would have were they a white family... aren't they supposed to understand how it feels to be judged and attacked based on a trait you were born with?

Hypocrites are all around us, and that's not unique to Raleigh. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (87) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

walt in Raleigh, North Carolina

42 months ago

you people are crazy!! my wife and i moved to the raleigh area a year ago .. and guess what-- its a very beautiful place, with very friendly people!! everywhere..all the people we meet are friendly , polite , helpful. it doesnt matter what race , religeon or anything else.
if you are a timid person , you will never go anywhere or see anything.
all places have crime, most areas are culturally diverse.
raleigh is beautiful and a great place to live --- do your homework.
dont be scared by what you hear, its small town --but its growing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Hiness58 in Knightdale, North Carolina

41 months ago

Hey, we moved to Southeast Raleigh, but it's actually right in between Wendell, Knightdale, and Clayton. We love it. We have .79 acres and the houses are priced $150-200,000. It's easy to hit 64/264 West to the Beltline and we don't deal with the traffic of 70 and 40 East. They've just built a Food Lion 4 miles from us. Clayton is 4 miles and Knightdale is 5 miles. Best of both worlds. We don't ever go to Raleigh unless we have to. Crime is minimal, lots of room to roam. I work in Cary, so I have quite a commute, but we couldn't affard this house in Cary or North Raleigh.

This is the Mial Plantation, Bethlehem Road area, Kings Grant Subdivision. Also, Auburn Knightdale Road is Raleigh address as well. Be careful though, the 540E. Extension will come through some areas out Auburn Knigtdale road futher out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Carla7669 in Jersey City, New Jersey

41 months ago

I live in CT and there are crimes in all cities. It doesn't matter what your skin color is. I do not want to live in a high crime area period. Skin color has nothing to do with it. Because I wouldn't want to live in an area where there is white collard crime. i.e Madeoff, and any other banker who has wripe people off. So crime is crime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

Nurra in Freeport, New York

40 months ago

OPEN MINDED in Seoul, Korea, Republic of said: OH MY!!! (laughing) I grew up in Raleigh, I have lived in North, South East, and West (ALL OVER) and I have NO clue to where this "Raleigh is a racist city" idea comes from..nor does Raleigh have a HIGH crime rate. For a city Raleigh's size, the crime rate is rather safe. To the lady from Greensboro, if my research, and findings from the last YEAR serve me correct, Greensboro has one of the highest crime rates in the state, as well as Charlotte ranking as one of the most dangerous cities with a population over 500,000. Dont let these posts sway your decision, your best bet is to experience the city yourself!! I hope that everyone finds that special place to live, wether it's Raleigh, or London!! lol

This is rather interesting, I went down to Raliegh NC twice last year and I'm seriously considering relocating. My family is from North Carolina. I can tell you without a doubt I feel more racism in New York, Long Island specifically. New Yorker all my life with parents from the south, what I've heard is the racism up North here is a bit different.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Durham, North Carolina

35 months ago

Plain and simple its a scary place, Durham...as I sit here I see blacks driving up to this complex in beat up old rides,,dont know what they do, I know many of them are not the uh workin type..no ditches being dug....I was never racist but Ill tell you I moved here from California to raise my son and ended up in Durham...there is alot of crime but mostly I get the attitude from poor blacks, they have an air about them and they all look the same to me....its hard to find one that is friendly and open to whites in fact it seems they dont even like ezch other....They seem boring but then i was raised at the beach where people are more open, the ones Ive talked to have lived here all their life so Im thinking they havent had any opportunity to see any thing else than this place...I was here in the 80s in the marines and I came back 6 years ago, wish I didnt....if anything a transplant will be overwhelmed and not be able to concentrate on their own lives because of the ghetto type distractions, crime is usually snatch and grab, lotta wanna be thug kids steal gps's smash car windows Ive noticed they are mostly cowards, not much into say bar fighting or have even been exposed to it.....If it wasnt so humorous to watch Id leave but I give it a year or 2 and Im back to calif

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (89) Reply - Report abuse

sandra in Hampton, Georgia

34 months ago

Host said: Where is the good life? For families? Singles?

I'm interested in moving 44 yr.old female looking for nice apt home...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

sugamommi in Chicago, Illinois

34 months ago

Actually, I was quite surprised to google "Good Black Neighbors and hit on a few. Anyway, I read alot of prior comments about Black and Latino neighborhoods being high-crime areas. I say this is somewhat true. I was raised in a middle-class Black area in Chicago. I decided to move back after a while and quickly noticed our beautiful neighborhood had turned into a sess pool. See, they tore down the projects and moved all those people into different areas in Chicago. Since, I have watched several different Black middle-class areas go to waste. In a nut shell, there are millions of good Black people who are searching for the American Dream and can't find it. We are subjected to live among these indivduals who the news broadcasts every night for everyone to see. Not someone like my husband or my father or my father in law. Three great, gainfully employed, supportive, law abiding Black men. It's really sad that people still think that only Blacks commit crimes. White people commit crimes as well it's just their dirt doesn't get as much coverage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (115) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Eowyn22 in Hollywood, Florida

33 months ago

Dena in Raleigh, North Carolina said: I moved to Raleigh from Floria 5 years ago and I have found it to be very tolerant, safe, and a pleasant place to live. We were told to stay away from Southeast Raleigh "the hood" when we moved here and once we saw Southeast Raleigh we had to laugh - anyone who thinks that's the hood should move to Philly or South Tampa."
You are SO correct! I just came back from a trip to the Raleigh area. We went all around, as we are thinking about relocating from the Ft. Lauderdale area in Florida. The people I met in the Raleigh area were ALL so friendly, though I did think it was funny to hear them talk about their bad traffic and crime - they had obviously not spent any time in Florida! The entire week I was there, it seemed like there was one murder and they talked about it every night on the news. I'd hate for them to see our local news. One murder would take up 3 minutes of news time, and then there would be another one, and another one, and another one...and each night it would be different homicides all around our tropical "paradise".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tired-of-the-ignorance in Cary, North Carolina

33 months ago

wake up!!!! in Mishawaka, Indiana said: What your problem is is that you are ignorant enough to believe that you can actually get an accurate decree on an entire race of people just by watching the evening news. People like you are ultimately the reason our nation is still so severely held back by racisms. Our country’s biggest problem is sheer IGNORANCE. The reason you only hear about crimes committed by Blacks or Hispanics is because that is what the government wants you to hear in a corrupt, repulsive attempt to keep foolish white racists like yourself on a pedestal, covering up their own weaknesses and failures as a people. Some of the most despicable crimes committed are committed by wealthy white people. And do you know why that is??!!! Because they know they will get away with it thanks to ignoramuses like you. I pity you, your family, anyone who has to spend a moment in your presence, and everyone who shares your warped mindset you poor, ill-bred, FOOL!!!

AGREE!!! AGREE!!AGREE!! I just recently moved to Cary NC and although it is a nice area the racism/discrimination that I have experienced from the people in this area whites/asian/indians is simply due to ignorance!! I feel bad for these people, I mean how can you live with yourselves? How can you live with so much hatred? I am thankful that I am not white because I would never want to feel like I have to treat someone a certain way due to the complexion of their skin. How ignorant is that? To all of you who have ever thought about moving to Cary NC, think again it is not at all what is cracked up to be simply overrated. This is not Beverly Hills yet white people/asians/indians have the audacity to turn their noses up like they are filthy rich. Half of the people I live around whites/indians/asians hardly ever move their cars, which tells me they are boring/broke and can't afford to live the way they portray themselves. I am so sick of the ignorance!! I am thankful that I am who I am!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

jali887 in Island Park, New York

33 months ago

Wow, I really thought about relocating to Raleigh NC but from what I hear the grass is not always greener on the other side. I am a life long NYS resident and was born here, my parents both came from the South. My father harldy ever spoke about his childhood because his parents were sharecroppers (South Carolina) and I knew he experienced rascism which hurt him to the core. He never looked back and loved NY and the opportunities living here presented him.
My mother's family was from North Carolina, they owned land and had property. My mother missed the South. Even though I like Raleigh, I have decided for now to remain in NYS, its where my home and roots are, besides I have a good job here and would only think about relocating after I retire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

tired-of-the-ignorance in Cary, North Carolina

33 months ago

jali887 in Island Park, New York said: Wow, I really thought about relocating to Raleigh NC but from what I hear the grass is not always greener on the other side. I am a life long NYS resident and was born here, my parents both came from the South. My father harldy ever spoke about his childhood because his parents were sharecroppers (South Carolina) and I knew he experienced rascism which hurt him to the core. He never looked back and loved NY and the opportunities living here presented him.
My mother's family was from North Carolina, they owned land and had property. My mother missed the South. Even though I like Raleigh, I have decided for now to remain in NYS, its where my home and roots are, besides I have a good job here and would only think about relocating after I retire.

The grass is not always greener on the other side, that is so true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

joan in Raleigh, North Carolina

33 months ago

tex122774 in Kernersville, North Carolina said: You neglected to name these safe all black neighborhoods.

I just moved to raleigh and Im disappointed because it is so much crime and the people are not very friendly at all. I have had my house broken into 5 times and no one knows anything and the area is suppose to be good. what a joke and a big lose for my family. Oh and Im black.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

VAbeach123 in Rocky Mount, North Carolina

33 months ago

thank you everyone, i am moving to nc next month, and still dont know where me and my two small children should move. everyone on this blog has gone so far off track, its no longer accomplishing anything. since this whole debate started, i havent seen a single post expressing where raleigh residents are suggesting good locations to call home. either use this blog to talk about what its meant to talk about, or get off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (59) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Eowyn22 in Hollywood, Florida

33 months ago

I am also considering a move to NC. I just spend a week in the Raleigh area, and have to say how much I loved it. I also found the area to be more diverse and less segregated than in South Florida, where I am from. I found all the people we spoke to be very friendly, and we spoke to people of many races and ethnicities to get an idea of how they felt about living in the Raleigh area. The church I attended there had large numbers of people from all races, and even had masses in other languages. We traveled all around, looking at different neighborhoods. We want an area that has sidewalks and an adequate number of street lights, and many neighborhoods there had neither. Of course, everyone wants a neighborhood that is safe. Cary has been voted one of the safest cities in the entire country, and that is where our hotel was. We did find some neighborhoods there that we liked. I would say our favorite area was Morrisville, which is near the Cary area, but offered more of the neighborhoods that we were looking for. We also spent some time up in the Brier Creek area, which is more in North Raleigh, which was also lovely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

PeacefulNC in Raleigh, North Carolina

32 months ago

I live in East Raleigh and moved here by default few years back. Honestly Charlotte is my first choice in NC. Now that l am here in Wake County I have made the best of it. I live in Knightdale and have found my town to be quiet, easy to navigate, friendly and close to major interstates 64/264, 440 and 540. Everything I need, shopping, restaurants, medical care, etc is within a few miles of home. The school system is good. You should research that for yourself. I can't tell you much about crime. But you could also research that as well. I can tell you that personally I have found a considerable amount of peace living in NC compared to my home state. I am originally from the New England. Hope this response helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

This town is too political, forcuses too much on racial diversity and local politics , extremely difficult for outsiders and those but with no local connections. It does pride itself on being culturally diverse but is a town which has obviously not seen the outside world other than its own. Sad but true....Its views are local and caters to those raised and born here...It is a difficult environment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

air_rider in Apex, North Carolina

32 months ago

I can tell you this from living in Miami all my life and being here in Raleigh over 10 years. Raleigh in general is pretty safe anywhere you go. One of the worst areas in Raleigh "Chavis Height's" was knocked down years ago. That's the only place in Raleigh that seemed sketchy to me at night. SE Raleigh has it's spots but I've walked alone in the SE Raleigh many times without any issues. Just because you're walking in a "Black Area" does not mean it's bad. Downtown has it's sketchy area's but that's about it. Cary in general is a very good area, but it's quite pricey and you wont find much acre land properties. I would look towards the outskirts of Raleigh around "Lake Wheeler". Property is pretty decently priced and it's a very good area. Wake Forest is nice, but it's a long commute every morning if you will be located in Raleigh working. Now my favorite is Apex which is next to Raleigh. Very good area and many properties out here. I love the apex area and it's expanding every year! Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mmj1126 in Tampa, Florida

32 months ago

I just have to say that I am appalled by the grammar and spelling errors on this comment thread. HORRIBLE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

I dont think this is a debate on English grammar...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Rochester, Michigan

31 months ago

My family is also considering moving to Raleigh. My husband will work in Raleigh- so we need something where the commute isn't more than 30-40 minutes. We also have 4 kids- from high school age to elementary age- so we need excellent public schools. I'm looking at Cary and it seems great but I also really like small sized towns. I don't want to live where there's a lot of strip malls. I have that right now and don't care for it. We're probably looking for a house priced between 275,000-350,000. Any guidance would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

My family is also considering moving to Raleigh. My husband will work in Raleigh- so we need something where the commute isn't more than 30-40 minutes. We also have 4 kids- from high school age to elementary age- so we need excellent public schools. I'm looking at Cary and it seems great but I also really like small sized towns. I don't want to live where there's a lot of strip malls. I have that right now and don't care for it. We're probably looking for a house priced between 275,000-350,000. Any guidance would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Susannerk in Johnstown, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

Hi Jen,

I am in the same boat you are. I'm in the exact price range 275 to 350K and have 3 kids in elementary, and middle school. We have heard great things about Cary, and North Raleigh. Apex is another up and coming area, smaller than Cary too. We were advised to look at Wake Forest in North Raleigh as it is supposed to be a little quieter and smaller with more
bigger lots....more privacy we've been told. We've been told that driving from Cary, Apex and North Raleigh are decent, easy commutes as well. We haven't done any house hunting yet, but will be soon....we have to sell our house first. Wishing you the best!!!!

Susanne

Jen in Rochester, Michigan said: My family is also considering moving to Raleigh. My husband will work in Raleigh- so we need something where the commute isn't more than 30-40 minutes. We also have 4 kids- from high school age to elementary age- so we need excellent public schools. I'm looking at Cary and it seems great but I also really like small sized towns. I don't want to live where there's a lot of strip malls. I have that right now and don't care for it. We're probably looking for a house priced between 275,000-350,000. Any guidance would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

31 months ago

Thanks Suzanne for your comments! Really appreciate it. My husband just mentioned Wake Forest. What I learned about Cary and the school system was a little disturbing- meaning that they have grown so much that schools are overcrowded and new schools have gone up. Kids do not necessarily go to their home school. If you look at the Wake County Public Schools website- every year you must rank what school you want to go to. Not crazy about that although it would seem as if you can stay somewhere if you are happy with it. Still... that's not what I'm used to. I will look into North Raleigh. I found a lot of good info on greatschools.org . I was able to compare what we have to what is in North Carolina. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

hjkh in Reading, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

What towns/cities are best for single professionals over 25?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JP in Raleigh, North Carolina

31 months ago

I have lived in Raleigh for 5+years, rented and owned at this point. There are lots of safe areas in Raleigh with good schools and home prices. Depending on where you will be working will probably play some part in where you want to live. These are also nice areas like wake forest, holly springs, apex, etc. but to me that is not Raleigh and you asked about living in raleigh. The Leesville road area is nice and has easy access to downtown Raleigh and it is also easy to get to RTP by accessing 540. The schools are good, crime is low, and it the houses are nice. I live closer to town in the North Hills area and the access to highways and downtown is wonderful. Lots in Raleigh typically run between .25 to .33 acre. If you want more land and want to be in Raleigh houses in some of the older neighborhoods have larger lots. Two I can think of off the top of my head are the older part of Stonehenge and Springdale estates. Raleigh is really spread out and it could take you as long to get downtown from parts of Raleigh as it would from parts of Cary or Apex.
For those of you with all the racist comments that chimed in: shame on you. Crime is everywhere. Raleigh is an absolutely great place to raise kids, has lots and lots of green space, lots of entertainment, good schools, and a better job/housing market than almost all other cities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ChaseSea in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania

31 months ago

My husband and I will be moving to the Raleigh area (as soon as our home in PA sells). He will be working in Cary, but the prices in Cary for what you get will not work with our price range. From reading this thread, it sounds parts of Raleigh might work as well as Apex. We're used to crime being near the Philadelphia area and are very much looking forward to moving to a safer place.

I haven't heard much about Fuquay-Varina and Garner. What is your opinion on those towns? I'm seeing some nice properties there and would love to hear what some of the locals think.

My other question is what towns are within decent commuting distance to Cary?

Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

JP in Raleigh, North Carolina

31 months ago

You may want to look at Holly Springs, it's close to Cary and less expensive. It is growing quickly. I don't know much about Fuquay but I personally don't like Garner. Getting into Raleigh can be rough with traffic and the schools aren't as good. You can go to ncreportcard.org and look at a schools performance on the site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tekin.melike@hotmail.com in Rome, Italy

31 months ago

Dear Everyone,
I have read all the comments you wrote and I should say that they really gave me a lot of useful ideas. Thank you very much for every one. But I want to ask another question.
My case is that:
We will be relocating from Turkey to Raleigh as my husband is attending a job there. How the people in raleigh behave to foreigners? Can we get a long easily with our neigbours?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hiness58 in Cary, North Carolina

31 months ago

The Raleigh/Cary/Durham area has a large foreign community. Especially Cary because there is a Hindu temple. you will be fine!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Hiness58 in Cary, North Carolina

31 months ago

ChaseSea in Blue Bell, Pennsylvania said: My husband and I will be moving to the Raleigh area (as soon as our home in PA sells). He will be working in Cary, but the prices in Cary for what you get will not work with our price range. From reading this thread, it sounds parts of Raleigh might work as well as Apex. We're used to crime being near the Philadelphia area and are very much looking forward to moving to a safer place.

I haven't heard much about Fuquay-Varina and Garner. What is your opinion on those towns? I'm seeing some nice properties there and would love to hear what some of the locals think.

My other question is what towns are within decent commuting distance to Cary?

Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I work in Cary and live in Raleigh, but it is no where near Raleigh. It is the Kings Grant neighborhood. Queen Charlotte is where we live. It does take me 30 minutes (29 miles) each way, BUT I live on .79 acres in a nice quiet neighborhood. We go to Knightdale and Clayton to do any shopping in hte evenings or weekends. But because we can hit the Beltline and make a fairly quick trip (most days) to Cary, it's not too bad. But with gas as high as it is, you may want to live in Cary. West Cary off Highway 55/Highhouse Road is a nice area. Not terribly expensive. But nice homes. It's on the edge of Apex.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dawn in Raleigh, North Carolina

30 months ago

Cary, Apex, Durham, Wake Forest, Garner... these are all surrounding cities. This is not Raleigh.
I have lived here my entire life and have lived in Raleigh and most of the surrounding areas. Currently I live downtown in one of the Historic Neighborhoods... and we LOVE it. There is actually a strip of section 8 apartments right in the center of our sought after neighborhood... and guess what... In the 10 years I've lived here, the only crime was someone took the change out of my car. I never lock my car doors. I sometimes leave my house without locking the doors. The schools in the downtown Raleigh area a FANTASTIC! If you are going to work in the RTP area... you might want to look more in the Cary/Apex area. I lived in Cary... I hated it. I thought the people there were very snotty. Although, I worked at a News Paper and probably saw the worst side of people. I also worked for a paper in Wake Forest. A great area, as well. All the perks of Cary with so much more. I don't recommend Garner. Clayton isn't bad, but then you are entering another county all together. I don't like Knightdale or the South East Raleigh areas at all. I personally think for someone looking for the perfect area of Raleigh... look in the North Hills/ Six Forks Road area. It is close to everything including the belt line. As for traffic, forget about it. Depending on the time of day it could take you 45 minutes to get from downtown to North Raleigh. Look close 540, 440, or i40.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Just wondering in Winston Salem, North Carolina

30 months ago

I really dislike the fact the topic of this forum had changed to a conversation about race and crime. True, no one wants to live in fear of their lives or possessions, but it is also true that crime exists and is perpetrated by and affects all races. You may look at the local news and see the "black guy" robbing the local liquor store for money but don't forget to turn on the national news and see the "white guy" shooting up his suburban school because he was bullied. It is all relative. America is a melting pot of good, decent and beautiful races. It is what started this country and should be the foundation of how we move forward...together. What offends me is no matter the topic of discussion on boards like this, or blogs, or comment sections under articles, race seems to factor in somehow. There are wonderful places to live in Raleigh. It is also fair to say that a person feels more comfortable around more familiar looking people of the same race and there is nothing wrong with that. But take this into account...look at the churches in Raleigh, the colleges, the Fortune 500 businesses, without diversity they would not succeed or have a well rounded curriculum that reaches everyone's understanding. I used to live in Raleigh then moved to Winston Salem with my wife. We are actually going to move back in July and wanted to see if the neighborhoods and areas have evolved. I guess we will have to visit the area and see for ourselves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Wayne, New Jersey

30 months ago

Tanya in Roselle Park, New Jersey said: Wow! Did I get an ear full. I too am moving to NC this summer with my children to the RTP area. My suggestion to anyone moving to NC is to do your research, and to try to check out the areas at different times to get a feel for the activities of the community. Together we can do so much, for separated we accomplish little.

Tanya, I am also from NJ looking to relocate. I was wondering how did it work out for you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katiebuglewis in Charlotte, North Carolina

29 months ago

Hiness58 in Knightdale, North Carolina said: Hey, we moved to Southeast Raleigh, but it's actually right in between Wendell, Knightdale, and Clayton. We love it. We have .79 acres and the houses are priced $150-200,000. It's easy to hit 64/264 West to the Beltline and we don't deal with the traffic of 70 and 40 East. They've just built a Food Lion 4 miles from us. Clayton is 4 miles and Knightdale is 5 miles. Best of both worlds. We don't ever go to Raleigh unless we have to. Crime is minimal, lots of room to roam. I work in Cary, so I have quite a commute, but we couldn't affard this house in Cary or North Raleigh.

This is the Mial Plantation, Bethlehem Road area, Kings Grant Subdivision. Also, Auburn Knightdale Road is Raleigh address as well. Be careful though, the 540E. Extension will come through some areas out Auburn Knigtdale road futher out.

We live in Kings Grant also - we have had no problems with "high crime" and love being 5 minutes from activities and shopping in two directions - Clayton and Knightdale. I grew up in Wake Forest and love the area but the cost of living there has skyrocketed!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Goldsboro, North Carolina

29 months ago

tired-of-the-ignorance in Cary, North Carolina said: AGREE!!! AGREE!!AGREE!! I just recently moved to Cary NC and although it is a nice area the racism/discrimination that I have experienced from the people in this area whites/asian/indians is simply due to ignorance!! I feel bad for these people, I mean how can you live with yourselves? How can you live with so much hatred? I am thankful that I am not white because I would never want to feel like I have to treat someone a certain way due to the complexion of their skin. How ignorant is that? To all of you who have ever thought about moving to Cary NC, think again it is not at all what is cracked up to be simply overrated. This is not Beverly Hills yet white people/asians/indians have the audacity to turn their noses up like they are filthy rich. Half of the people I live around whites/indians/asians hardly ever move their cars, which tells me they are boring/broke and can't afford to live the way they portray themselves. I am so sick of the ignorance!! I am thankful that I am who I am!

And now you have just stereotyped all white people as racists...how does that make you any better? I am so sick of all this ignorance, whether you're white and you hate the blacks, or your black and you hate the whites, or your Mexican and you hate the Central Americans, you get the idea. I'm white and was born and raised in California. For the most part, hate is taught or perpetuated out there. We are huge believers in "live and let live". Moving to North Carolina was a huge culture shock. I will not cast all North Carolinians into this category, but I have never met some many people, of different races and religions, filled with hate for people different from them. It was truly disheartening. On the other hand, I have also met some of the most welcoming people in my life, but then again, it makes me wonder if it's because I'm white. Would I have had a different reception if I was Black or Mexican?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Truth in Raleigh, North Carolina

28 months ago

Ms. Gee, please don't buy into what people are saying here, its non-sense and you've already admitted to seeing and liking the Raleigh area. I've lived in NC my entire life and is currently enjoying the Raleigh area for about 2 years now, I'm Black with two-degree's and have a career position working downtown, and I live near the triangle town center mall which is simply one of the best spots. You'll find friendly people all of Raleigh and it's the perfect mixture of shopping, eating, enjoying life. Our two biggest, cities here in NC are Charlotte and Raleigh, (Charlotte area is nice, slightly more modern, but has higher unemployment rates and crime than Raleigh).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Missy

27 months ago

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on the Morrisville area? We are relocating in 2 months and have no knowledge of this area. Any help would be great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sycamore in Conyers, Georgia

27 months ago

I am a single black woman moving to Raleigh from Atlanta, GA. I am looking primarily for a safe area to lease an apartment or home, until I decide what area I would like to live in. What would be a safe area - and yes I understand that safe is relative, crime can happen anywhere and I think you have to use common sense where ever you live. I will be telecommuting on my present job until I find a permanent position in Raleigh. So please just give me an idea of good areas without biased opinions regarding crimes, whether they or committed by anyone of any race, color or creed. Just a quite neighborhood, reasonable lease terms, with good restaurants, shopping, etc. that would not take every cent a single woman has to spend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.