Moving to Rochester - how did you get here?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

Reply - Report abuse

chris higbee in Rochester, New York

76 months ago

Move... I have lived here my entire life and love the area, but the taxes and loss of jobs are driving the people out in droves. While it's promised that there will be no property tax increases, our property evaluations are instead raised by as much as 50%. When prices across the country is driving home prices down. However home prices are still excellent. 100k will buy you a very nice starter home. In the city you could get a nice size home with a small yard for 50k. My home is evaluated at 153k and we pay over $6,000 in property taxes (this has again gone up this year, so I don't know the final figure yet)from 103k to 153k.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Honeoye Falls, New York

72 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

I moved here from Los Angeles but I had grown up on the East Coast in the greater NY area. I came because of relocating with my company, but I initiated it because I wanted my kids to go to good schools and live in a nice community where the stress level was much lower than in LA. In LA the traffic was so bad you couldn't go anywhere once you finally arrived home from work. The crime was high and you were afraid for your kids safety walking to school. The weather was always nice, but I missed the autumn and the country lanes and things like that. I love the fact that now my kids are in good schools in a small, friendly community while I commute a whole 20 minutes to a major corporation. Priceless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susina in Covina, California

59 months ago

Anne in Honeoye Falls, New York said: I moved here from Los Angeles but I had grown up on the East Coast in the greater NY area. I came because of relocating with my company, but I initiated it because I wanted my kids to go to good schools and live in a nice community where the stress level was much lower than in LA. In LA the traffic was so bad you couldn't go anywhere once you finally arrived home from work. The crime was high and you were afraid for your kids safety walking to school. The weather was always nice, but I missed the autumn and the country lanes and things like that. I love the fact that now my kids are in good schools in a small, friendly community while I commute a whole 20 minutes to a major corporation. Priceless!

I realize you wrote this 12 months ago, but I am considering moving to upstate NY from LA area where I have lived all of my life. So do you still feel the same today as you did 12 months ago? Thx!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.