unemployment

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Rodney Scott in San Antonio, Texas

50 months ago

I was convicted of a felony 10 years ago, I was just recently released, and i'm having a difficult time finding a JOB, because:I lack transportation, I have numerous tattoos, I haven't been employed for 10 years 7 months, And of course the felony conviction. Yet I have used that time to further my education, take several self help classes, Drug classes included, and make an overall positive change in my life. I'm not crying, I'm sure there are people who have it just as bad, but i dont want to fail, i repect society as a whole and want to contribute to it as a productive citizen. But theres this big X on my back. Somebody please help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rodney Scott in San Antonio, Texas

50 months ago

sorry that you feel that way. Even you should be afforded the oppertunity to provide for your children. I am a person who has made mistakes, if you never have then pray for me, either way you will remain in my prayers, once again i am terribly sorry for the loss of your property, the thief should be found and punished, just as i was. I offer no excuses, or negative comments, I only look for solutions to my problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

victor quevedo in San Antonio, Texas

49 months ago

Rodney Scott in San Antonio, Texas said: I was convicted of a felony 10 years ago, I was just recently released, and i'm having a difficult time finding a JOB, because:I lack transportation, I have numerous tattoos, I haven't been employed for 10 years 7 months, And of course the felony conviction. Yet I have used that time to further my education, take several self help classes, Drug classes included, and make an overall positive change in my life. I'm not crying, I'm sure there are people who have it just as bad, but i dont want to fail, i repect society as a whole and want to contribute to it as a productive citizen. But theres this big X on my back. Somebody please help!

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am haunted by my past also. Never did jail time but enough crap in my criminal record to keep the good jobs away. Some of my stuff was supposed to be exsponged but the courts failed to do so. Keep looking maybe as a rehab counselor. As for the ignorant lady with the sour feedback thats probably why she's not gettting hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

toodiminamerica in Apache Junction, Arizona

49 months ago

Me in Dayton, Ohio said: Get used to it. How about a single mom who has never been to jail, got money stolen from her, now had to file BK and people won't hire me either because some thief stole from me and couldn't prove it. Well, I have never been in trouble like you, so you should be the one to have a problem finding a job not me! they are treating me like a criminal because of credit well your the criminal not me! They have every right to treat you that way.

Some pretty ugly words, coming out of an angry person! No, they don't have a right to treat someone like a criminal if they have done their time, paid their restitution, and are no longer living a "criminal lifestyle." Anyone who has ever broken the law might be considered a criminal- or is it only if you get caught that it actually makes it official?! Why do you think that you are being treated like a criminal...because you can't get a job? Have you ever thought...for perhaps even a moment...that the person who gets the job is the person w/ the education and experience?! Remember that? Job experience?! Once upon a time it counted for something! Going on a witchhunt and looking to take your misfortunes out on others...for something that they didn't do to you- well, that's just downright mean! Not everyone who breaks the law gets arrested, not even people who have broken numersous law- just ask my alcoholic, child abusing stepmom. But karma does come around; and the energy you put out, is the energy you get back- kinda like a boomarang.

hoehappa in Germantown, Tennessee

48 months ago

poor you you be a single mom because of choice you made there honey! DO i sence some resentment comming from your post? im happy free of resentment and live a pretty full life because i got involved with ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS!! there are programs for people just like you. i strongly suggest you get involved!!

CareerGuru in San Francisco, California

48 months ago

A drug counseling certificate only takes a year of school (or at least in California it does), and you may well be on your way to it with the courses you've taken already. It's an area in which they expect that you've made some mistakes in the past, and have proven that things can be changed for the better.

Sarah
interview tips blog:
job-search-success-secrets.com/blog/

JJ in San Antonio, Texas

42 months ago

I feel you Scott,I myself just got released and and two felonies.I've been rejected by many places that I've applied at.It's a struggle but I'm not quitting, even though that seems easier. But to those out there who feel like giving up,DON'T. If there is anyone hiring for landscaping ,moving or woodflooring please let me know. I have experience in these fields.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rodney scott in San Antonio, Texas

42 months ago

since my original post last year i went to work at a plant in july and have worked there since. I am now being trained to work as plant forman. There are jobs out there and a lot of people say no , but you cant give up cause as the saying goes " aclosed mouth never gets fed" Just because you are a felon dont mean you aren't hirable. Good luck to all in the struggle. And remember it may be sh#$ work but there is always room for advancing yourself once you have proven your self capable of being someone other than a number in the system.

Need Work in New Braunfels, Texas

41 months ago

Rodney,

Where is this plant you were able to obtain a position even though you have a felony? thanks for your help.

Need work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Need Work in New Braunfels, Texas

41 months ago

Where is this plant you obtain a position at Rodney?

DadMike in Maryland

41 months ago

Rodney Scott in San Antonio, Texas said: I was convicted of a felony 10 years ago, I was just recently released, and i'm having a difficult time finding a JOB, because:I lack transportation, I have numerous tattoos, I haven't been employed for 10 years 7 months, And of course the felony conviction. Yet I have used that time to further my education, take several self help classes, Drug classes included, and make an overall positive change in my life. I'm not crying, I'm sure there are people who have it just as bad, but i dont want to fail, i repect society as a whole and want to contribute to it as a productive citizen. But theres this big X on my back. Somebody please help!

You can try Prisoner's Aid Society; that's a national organization that may have job leadss if a chapter exists in your area. Home detention/work release units, as well as parole and probation offices, often have lists of employers willing to hire those with records.

Jaime in Laredo, Texas

41 months ago

I need to hire someone in San Antonio to operate a compactor. Email me for more information. jaime-2009@hotmail.com

Jaime in Laredo, Texas

41 months ago

I need to hire someone in San Antonio to operate a compactor. Email me for more information. jaime-2009@hotmail.com

41 months ago

Jaime in Laredo, Texas said: I need to hire someone in San Antonio to operate a compactor. Email me for more information. jaime-2009@hotmail.com

what kind of compactor and how long is the job?

Jaime in San Antonio, Texas

41 months ago

victor quevedo in San Antonio, Texas said: what kind of compactor and how long is the job?

Victor, e-mail me for more details please. Thank You.
I am going to put a link here so you can see it. I don't have a picture of our compactor, so here is another company's website. It is the exact same thing. The job is permanent but we can work something out if you only want it temporary.

Jaime in San Antonio, Texas

41 months ago

41 months ago

what kind of training are you willing to give and what kind of hours are we talking about?

Jaime in Laredo, Texas

41 months ago

Training only takes about one - two hours. You just come to our warehouse and we teach you how to operate the compactor. The hours are from 8:00AM to 6:00PM. Again, if times do not work for you, we can work around your schedule. Give me your e-mail so I can send you our company's information and my phone number. Thank You.

cole brown in Rancho Cucamonga, California

41 months ago

Me in Dayton, Ohio said: Get used to it. How about a single mom who has never been to jail, got money stolen from her, now had to file BK and people won't hire me either because some thief stole from me and couldn't prove it. Well, I have never been in trouble like you, so you should be the one to have a problem finding a job not me! they are treating me like a criminal because of credit well your the criminal not me! They have every right to treat you that way.

now u know how it feels to be treated unfairly, idiot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

victor in San Antonio, Texas

41 months ago

Jaime in Laredo, Texas said: Training only takes about one - two hours. You just come to our warehouse and we teach you how to operate the compactor. The hours are from 8:00AM to 6:00PM. Again, if times do not work for you, we can work around your schedule. Give me your e-mail so I can send you our company's information and my phone number. Thank You.

ok quevedovictor@rocketmail.com

mebweb in Saint Louis, Missouri

40 months ago

DadMike in Maryland said: You can try Prisoner's Aid Society; that's a national organization that may have job leadss if a chapter exists in your area. Home detention/work release units, as well as parole and probation offices, often have lists of employers willing to hire those with records.

I think you have all served your time and it's truely unfair, especially for those that are not that same person anymore and are really trying to find work and just need to get that foot in the door. You are every managers dream... There are so many people who truely don't appreciate what they have.

kaipuffcat in San Marcos, Texas

39 months ago

No, they don't have a right to treat ANYONE that way and shame on you for kicking a fallen person. Think how this person
feels when you speak to them that way! You better behave because God does not like ugly!

bj in San Antonio, Texas

32 months ago

Keep looking, you will find a job...Do not give up, and pray before you go to each interview or for each job hunt that whoever you interview with will have compassion. Life is hard, but that has got to be someone that will give you a second chance....keep in mind you may not get a white collar job, and may have to start out at McDonalds or something like that

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.