why is hard for a felon to get a job but if your a lawyer,judge no problems

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 262)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

ernest in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

Donna said: Go to SA Quality Fence & Welding-they give you a chance to change your life ask for Craig Noto or Ollie Burkett....My best of luck
to you....

where is the location or number where i can call

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

hapihakr in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

ernest in San Antonio, Texas said: where is the location or number where i can call

Google is your friend:
www.google.com/search?&q=Quality+Fence+%26+Welding

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Signing a petition won't accomplish anything other than get your name out there on the Internet where an employer can Google it. You ARE the master of your own destiny. Take control of your life and you WILL prosper. In Texas there is a 7-year limitation on background checks. That helps, but even before I reached the 7-year limit I was able to find good jobs. It takes extra effort. You have to really want it. Let me ask you, what do you do when you are unemployed? It is your "job" to look for a job 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.... no, make that 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. If you can seriously put forth that kind of effort, you will never go very long without a job. I just recently found myself unemployed and found a job in 3 weeks. The longest I've ever been unemployed is about 2 months. Are too good to do menial work, start at the bottom and work your way up? I've worked from entry-level to management a few times now. I've also been hired straight up for management positions. Are you too good to ride the bus? (Especially in bad weather, nothing like standing at the bus stop when it's pouring down rain and 40 degrees outside... I'm in Texas. You Northerners have it even worse.) You do what you got to do. It takes tenacity.

If you are fortunate enough to live in a state that has a time limitation on background checks, then read this post:

www.indeed.com/forum/loc/San-Antonio-Texas/why-is-hard-felon-get-job-but-if-your-lawyer-judge/t91120/p1#c940478

If you don't know, then find out. If you live in a state that has no time limitation on background checks, then seriously consider (1) moving, (2) lobbying the legislature to pass a law creating a time limitation for background checks, and/or (3) maintaining this hard nosed attitude that you can and will be a success, because after all you are the master of your own destiny.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sja8591 in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

My name is Samantha and I'm trying to help my dad get a job. He just got out of prison the first week of December. I live in Dallas and he's back home in San Antonio. Being in and out prison most of my life; I think its starting to really make sense to him that he needs to change his life around (some of you can relate). Now that I'm older and taking care of myself (reguardless of him being locked up) he's the only parent that I had that was still trying to be there for me! I'm not goin to give up on him. I'm really tryin to help him but it seems like its almost impossible to get hired! My goal is to be supportive of him in any way I can. Reality is that he has a pretty long track record and I'm trying to find any resources out there that can help him. He's expressed an interest in truck driving and I've started to look at some schools for him in San Antonio. If anyone has any info on job fairs for felons in San Antonio, support group info for newly released felons or job postings I'm all ears! You can email links or info to: dominguezs69@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

BroncoBilly in Denton, Texas

58 months ago

Hi Samantha.

Your dad just got out of prison? Perfect!! He's eligible for the Second Chance Act of 2009. Here's the link reentrypolicy.org/government_affairs/second_chance_act

It was signed into law by Bush in 2008 but because of the bad economy, it hasn't received any funding. Now, Obama has allocated 210 MILLION dollars to help people leaving prison get back on their feet. This includes job training assistance, job placement assistance, housing and food assistance, and tax breaks to employers who hire excons. Google it, look up some more info on it and tell your dad to get into one of the programs. He can start free job training. I already signed up for a program that gets you a license to operate heavy machinery (cranes, bulldozers, wrecking balls, etc.) and the government is paying for it and I already have recruiters asking me if I want to come work for them. Tell your dad about the Second Chance Act and get him in one of the training programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

katwoman55 in macon, Missouri

58 months ago

Maybe my ex who gets out next year after 15 years in fed prison can do something positive when he gets out . I will tell him about this program.

sja8591 in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

Thanks for the info! Very helpful, I talked with him yesterday and he said he got in the mail a form to present to potential employers of a possible tax break if they were to hire him. Thanks for the link I will definetly read more about it!

Daniel in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

educated convict in San Antonio, Texas said: Hello everyone, Im a convicted felon which happened 20yrs ago. I have changed my life and graduated with a bachelors degree in business(2004) then went and graduated with a masters degree in business (2006). I still cant find a job that is above minimum wage. Its pretty sad when people change their lives and nobody will give you a chance. However, I have found that if you are off of probation for 5 yrs you can go to law school and become a lawyer. LOL. It is a crime for an employer to tell you that they can not hire you becuase you have a record. A good thing to do is to take a tape recorder and tape them saying it to you and then get an discrimmination lawyer. GOOD LUCK!!

Wow! Wish I would of knonw this. Turns out Im in the same boat. Except Ive never been incarcerated. That doesnt seem to matter. Even with Misdemeanors Im disqualified from just about everything. Student loans, family and NO job. I will follow up on the LAW school tip.

58 months ago

Shannon in San Antonio, Texas said: Hey everyone here is a petition I started. Please take a look at it and sign it. We are getting more looks then I thought it would get. The folks in Austin are beginning to ask questions. Hopefully we are on to something here....

www.gopetition.com/online/27417.html

Just a quick note. If you have signed another petition through gopetition.com it wont allow you to sign another through the same computer and name.

58 months ago

katwoman55 in macon, Missouri said: Would it do any good for me to sign it , i'm not a felon but if i can help by signing i will .

Any laws made in our favor will help. Regardless. Sign them all. theres power in numbers. At this point how can it hurt any.

58 months ago

hapihakr in San Antonio, Texas said: Signing a petition won't accomplish anything other than get your name out there on the Internet where an employer can Google it. You ARE the master of your own destiny. Take control of your life and you WILL prosper. In Texas there is a 7-year limitation on background checks. That helps, but even before I reached the 7-year limit I was able to find good jobs. It takes extra effort. You have to really want it. Let me ask you, what do you do when you are unemployed? It is your "job" to look for a job 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.... no, make that 10 hours a day, 6 days a week. If you can seriously put forth that kind of effort, you will never go very long without a job. I just recently found myself unemployed and found a job in 3 weeks. The longest I've ever been unemployed is about 2 months. Are too good to do menial work, start at the bottom and work your way up? I've worked from entry-level to management a few times now. I've also been hired straight up for management positions. Are you too good to ride the bus? (Especially in bad weather, nothing like standing at the bus stop when it's pouring down rain and 40 degrees outside... I'm in Texas. You Northerners have it even worse.) You do what you got to do. It takes tenacity.

If you are fortunate enough to live in a state that has a time limitation on background checks, then read this post:

www.indeed.com/forum/loc/San-Antonio-Texas/why-is-hard-felon-get-job-but-if-your-lawyer-judge/t91120/p1#c940478

If you don't know, then find out. If you live in a state that has no time limitation on background checks, then seriously consider (1) moving, (2) lobbying the legislature to pass a law creating a time limitation for background checks, and/or (3) maintaining this hard nosed attitude that you can and will be a success, because after all you are the master of your own destiny.

Id like to know what type of jobs youve had, Ive my record checked back till birth

58 months ago

Daniel in San Antonio, Texas said: Id like to know what type of jobs youve had, Ive my record checked back till birth

You can find my "safe" resume online at:
hotjobs.yahoo.com/resumes/hapihakr/custserv-infotech

This is not my complete work history and the part-time (2nd) jobs I worked are not on there. But this will give you an idea. By the way, I have 3 robbery convictions from 1985; I did 17 years in prison; I got out in 2002.

58 months ago

BroncoBilly in Anna, Texas said: You guys don't seem to know about this law in Texas that limits the time to 7 years for reporting your criminal history. Here's the link www.spiritllc.biz/stateswithsevenyearlimitations2

The catch is you can't make more than $75,000 per year. So now, go forth my children, and lie on your applications. They can't check past 7 years in Texas.

Just because they cant check past 7 years doesnt mean they dont. My misdemeanors are 15 years old. And that comes up every time. I have to disagree, because essentially they can do what they please. Ive been a victim of stereotyping many times.Irregardless of what degrees I have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Daniel in San Antonio, Texas said: Just because they cant check past 7 years doesnt mean they dont. My misdemeanors are 15 years old. And that comes up every time. I have to disagree, because essentially they can do what they please. Ive been a victim of stereotyping many times.Irregardless of what degrees I have.

Read my other post about what to do when your background comes up:

58 months ago

Micki in San Antonio, Texas said: How many of you went to the Job Fair for felons on the 24th? I did not get to go this year but last year was many good companies unknown to me that hired felons-mostly construction and labor jobs though. There should be another one coming up-once a year is too long to wait for these opportunities. Paul is right...its time to stand up whilethere is a good president in office and begin legislation to end your sentence when your time is served. Has anyone checked the seven year limitation website above? I am a grad student focusing on re-entry limitations-I do not have a felony but am dealing with a mother who has a felony, can't find work and cannot get an apt. You are not helpless-there are organizations such as the R-entry Round Table that convenes monthly at the city courthouse. We are just advocates-we cannot rally for change without ex-offenders rallying for change too. Become political and vote-become vocal, I'm tired of passive citizens just riding along and cussing about change-organize with your community grassroots-become proactive instead of reactive. Help us out.

I'd be honored to go. What are the specifics of the meetings? Times, dates, etc? I agree with everything you posted. The only way is media, rallies, door knocking and so forth.

58 months ago

hapihakr in San Antonio, Texas said: BroncoBilly is correct. The law can be found on the Texas Legislature's website: www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/ and here is a direct link to the section that contains the 7 year limit for background checks: www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/BC/htm/BC.20.htm#20.05

However, protecting your rights under this law is easier said than done. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of different "credit reporting agencies" (CRAs) that prepare background reports for employers. Not all of them follow Texas law. Many CRAs actually have there place of business in another state. The law DOES apply to them insofar as they are preparing reports on Texas employment applicants for Texas employers, but enforcing the law is difficult. You have to understand your legal rights and the legal procedures you must use.

If your offense is beyond the 7 year limit, then first of all do NOT volunteer the information on an employment application. Check the box that says "No" and do not admit to the offense at any time during the process. If it appears on a background report obtained by your employer, then formally contest the accuracy of the report under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and request a copy of the report and the contact information for the CRA that prepared the report for the employer. (If you cite the Texas law instead of the FCRA, it will alert the employer to the 7 year limit.) Then contact the CRA and inform them of the Texas law regarding the 7 year limit and they are obligated to resubmit a corrected report to the employer. Hire an attorney if necessary or atleast threaten to.

This is very helpful. Although what can we do when the employers get records through Public Records DPS office?

58 months ago

hapihakr in San Antonio, Texas said: BroncoBilly is correct. The law can be found on the Texas Legislature's website: www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/ and here is a direct link to the section that contains the 7 year limit for background checks: www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/BC/htm/BC.20.htm#20.05

However, protecting your rights under this law is easier said than done. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of different "credit reporting agencies" (CRAs) that prepare background reports for employers. Not all of them follow Texas law. Many CRAs actually have there place of business in another state. The law DOES apply to them insofar as they are preparing reports on Texas employment applicants for Texas employers, but enforcing the law is difficult. You have to understand your legal rights and the legal procedures you must use.

If your offense is beyond the 7 year limit, then first of all do NOT volunteer the information on an employment application. Check the box that says "No" and do not admit to the offense at any time during the process. If it appears on a background report obtained by your employer, then formally contest the accuracy of the report under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and request a copy of the report and the contact information for the CRA that prepared the report for the employer. (If you cite the Texas law instead of the FCRA, it will alert the employer to the 7 year limit.) Then contact the CRA and inform them of the Texas law regarding the 7 year limit and they are obligated to resubmit a corrected report to the employer. Hire an attorney if necessary or atleast threaten to.

Maybe someone should eamil, mail, or post these laws to the various employment agencies, employers, and even local papers. That should start an uproar.

58 months ago

Daniel in San Antonio, Texas said: This is very helpful. Although what can we do when the employers get records through Public Records DPS office?

There is nothing you can do about an employer that goes directly to public records, but very few actually do that. It is cost prohibited and warranted only for the most sensitive positions.

58 months ago

Daniel in San Antonio, Texas said: Maybe someone should eamil, mail, or post these laws to the various employment agencies, employers, and even local papers. That should start an uproar.

It would only do use harm to publicize these issues. The law is there... learn how to utilize it to your benefit.

58 months ago

hapihakr in San Antonio, Texas said: There is nothing you can do about an employer that goes directly to public records, but very few actually do that. It is cost prohibited and warranted only for the most sensitive positions.

Most jobs that Ive applied for in the past and recently have gone through DPS. Dont get me wrong, I am going to take the 7 year rule and run with it. I have degrees in nursing and computer security maybe that has something to do with not being able to get a job in Texas.

Spirit64 in Dallas, Texas

58 months ago

hapihakr,

I commend you for the information you have been passing through this forum. I am a "new felon" and eager to make a change. Just joined this place today to do some research for a book I am writing about the laws and hurdles we face. Would appreciate any help I can get from you. Can we email directly? I was convicted of a DWI in TX on August of this year. Thank you and keep up the good work!

SanAntonian in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

sam in San Antonio, Texas said: i made a mistake as well, but i have made a complete turn around by going back to school and obtaining my bachelor's degree this december(20080. All i need know is for someone to give me a chance to apply my skills and showcase the knowledge i have obtain. Any takers... respond at sammaldo100@yahoo.com

You know you should be commended for taking the high road. But, and I speak from experience when I say this. Make sure to really, really, really do your homework on what kind of job you are ALLOWED to have after you finish your schooling. I have spent thousands & thousands of dollars and wasted many years of my life switching from major to major because I was stopped half way through a program because of my record. Now talk about a kick in the ass. I hope you take this in stride and follow through with what I say. For your wallets sake, your lifes sake and most of all your sanity. Good Luck friend.

ksmit in Ann arbor, Michigan

58 months ago

Just so you now its hard for everyone to get a job right now. Secondly, This place below while in Chicago won't help you out but may give you some hope

chicago.grubstreet.com/2009/04/felony_franks_the_hot_dog_stan.html

58 months ago

Spirit64 in Dallas, Texas said: hapihakr,

I commend you for the information you have been passing through this forum. I am a "new felon" and eager to make a change. Just joined this place today to do some research for a book I am writing about the laws and hurdles we face. Would appreciate any help I can get from you. Can we email directly? I was convicted of a DWI in TX on August of this year. Thank you and keep up the good work!

I can be reached at hapihakr@yahoo.com.

58 months ago

ksmit in Ann arbor, Michigan said: Just so you now its hard for everyone to get a job right now. Secondly, This place below while in Chicago won't help you out but may give you some hope

chicago.grubstreet.com/2009/04/felony_franks_the_hot_dog_stan.html

I have to totally agree with you %100 it is hard for everyone to find any employment right now period. So how hard do you think it is for an individual with a criminal history to find work, if the average joe cant find any?

jcl3@hotmail.com in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

john rodriguez in San Antonio, Texas said: I made a mistake and paid for it but im poor if I go fill out an app. im praying they call me to work.I have expereince in all kinds of trades but Im still on a computer searching for a good job why is that.

all the jobs have turned into a lot of government contracts with stiff background checks. i am a felon myself.15 yrs. since last conviction. nothing seriuos. cant find work around here either. 20 plus yrs. as an electrician, ran jobs, lots of experience and nothing happening. use to be i could show up on a job and be hired. its gone bad for those with records. lots of people are hurting from it. wish i could find work too. it sucks. my kids are suffering for something thats over and done with. im 46 and no timefor screwing up and do not even care to. i just want a life now. i cant even get a foot in the door.

icanhelp@mail.com

58 months ago

well. I've been meaning to post here for quite some time. I really feel for all you hard working citizens just looking to make a decent living! I am in the same boat as you, but have circumvented the system. I am on my phone right now, so if you want to know how I get around BR checks and all that. email me and I'll be happy to share with you. or just check back for when I get back to the computer to post my story! icanhelp@mail.com
no. this is not a solicitation for business or a fee!!!

58 months ago

icanhelp@mail.com said: well. I've been meaning to post here for quite some time. I really feel for all you hard working citizens just looking to make a decent living! I am in the same boat as you, but have circumvented the system. I am on my phone right now, so if you want to know how I get around BR checks and all that. email me and I'll be happy to share with you. or just check back for when I get back to the computer to post my story! icanhelp@mail.com
no. this is not a solicitation for business or a fee!!!

i cant reach you. got your email. tried to email you.

58 months ago

trying to reach you.

58 months ago

So whats your story icanhelp@mail.com? How can you help us? Forgive me if im a little skeptical of your offer.

frustrated in TX

58 months ago

I am NOT a felon....and I have 18+ years experience in various fields. I cannot find work either, and my question is this...why shouldn't you also suffer the fall of the job market, too? When so many of us with clean records suffer as a result.

travis in Alvin, Texas

58 months ago

I'm convicted felon also. I was just released in december of 2009. you do have a point, as far as your debt to society goes, thats paid, but your debt to the state of texas never will be. Sorry thats just the hard facts. However i did find a way to keep working, and truthfully am making better money now than i ever have, but i had to leave the continental U.S. Contact the ocean corporation in houston, they have exellent offshore training for divers and inspectors, and your felony record wont follow you to another country.They have an exellent federal aid package to pay for tuition and possible relocation. We are no longer normal people even though nothing about us has changed, due to our incarcerations... THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX !!!! you have to adapt

Shannon in San Antonio, Texas

57 months ago

I'm a convicted felon and have posted on here several times before. The bigest loop about the background check is the 7 years since conviction. My conviction was 21 yrs ago. After being laid off from a company I worked at for 8 years, I was without a job for 7 months. Being a single mother, home owner - I was beginning to freak out. Low and behold, I finally found out about the 7 year law, I stopped putting the check mark on yes I'm a felon. I have since gone back to work for a public company, making close to the same amount of money I was making and being a productive citizen. My debt to society has been paid, like Travis said - your debt to Texas will never be, especially since I have a life sentence. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, but they have to prove they are willing to do what it takes to get that chance. Changing your surroundings and sometime not being around family are the choices you have to make, to make it in the cruel world. Keep your heads up and believe in yourself, someone will give you the chance, it just takes time

icanhelp@mail.com in Bear, Delaware

57 months ago

So, I promised to post my response and here it is. Sorry if this is a long read, but I hope you all can find something useful within it.

I want to start first by replying to the the person who thinks felons should suffer with non-offenders with the fall of the job market. I believe that the CITIZEN who is better qualified to perform the job should get it, not be automatically disqualified due to a past mistake.

I know this is not the best of times to look for employment for anyone, but yes, it is even more difficult with a conviction. There are many good suggestions here and forgive me if I repeat any of them.

1. I have never answered "YES" on the application. Unless you personally know the owner of the company, no one will want to consider you with a conviction. And of course they won't tell you that's the reason. Remember, no company has to hire you to begin with.

2. Background Checks - Many companies insist they perform a background check, but many times they don't. Very expensive to perform a check on every applicant. Quite a few small businesses do not perform one and really rely on the interview and references. Make sure your resume is solid and practice for the interview. You really need to impress potential employers that you are the best person for the job. Sometimes a company will hire you based on the interview and not get the results from the check for a couple of weeks. If it is a smaller company and you have had a couple of weeks to do the best job in the world, you may get the opportunity to explain the past mistake "after" they see your excellent performance and personality. I had that happen once and they were upset that I omitted that information on the application. I asked if they would honestly consider me for the position had I answered "yes". I think you know what the answer was. I sold myself so well that I was given a chance, but it was a small company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

3. Fortunately in most states there are no restrictions when it comes to owning your own business. Find something your good at, get a business license and start building your empire. That's the backbone of America!!! I know people that make over $50,000 a year cleaning up dog poo. Over $100,000 with a lawn care company, auto mechanic, consultant, moving company, internet specialist...whatever your good at.

4. If your not good at running your own business, here is another consideration. You may need to do a-lot more searching to find a company to use your services, but as a 1099 independent contractor, the business shouldn't need to run a background check since you are not an employee...find a company that can use your services and see if they will hire your "company". They save lots of money on taxes and you can write everything business related off on your taxes.

5. Sales positions - Many sales jobs are more concerned with your sales ability rather than your "background". When the economy picks up, try car sales if you have a good driving record. That was the only thing they were worried about with me. I was making sometimes $5,000 a month and driving around the companies $80,000 new vehicles.

57 months ago

And...broaden your horizons. Perhaps you need to be more open to doing or learning how to do something different. There are "jobs" out there, you just may not be willing to do them. Consider something different to make some extra money. Bartenders usually don't worry about background checks and can make $200-$300 per night, same with waitstaff.

I always found it amusing that people look down on convicted persons, but fail to realize that many times these are the same people making their burger at Burger King. I wonder if judges consider that when ordering food.

57 months ago

frustrated in TX said: I am NOT a felon....and I have 18+ years experience in various fields. I cannot find work either, and my question is this...why shouldn't you also suffer the fall of the job market, too? When so many of us with clean records suffer as a result.

If you cant find a job due to the economy thats another issue. A whole other side of the spectrum. That has nothing to do with our situation. Clearly you are part of the problem, not the solution. With your, "When so many of us with clean records suffer as a result," mentality. We are not any different than any other individual. And for the record, I'm NOT a felon either, just being treated as such because I too have a record that prevents me from attainig my goals. Theres always a grey part, everything is not just in black and white. God Bless & good luck.

frustrated in San Antonio

57 months ago

My only point was that we are all suffering from the job market and todays economy. And that maybe you should stop whining about your lack of work being due to your criminal record, and instead realize that this is a nationwide problem...and that it's much bigger than your own little "victimized mentality."

Why not do like another mentioned, which is also what I am already doing myself, starting your own business? Or trying to branch out into other fields, such as bartending or car sales?

I have worked with some very good ppl in the car sales industry...many of which had really bad criminal records, yet they are now still very successful, and making a very substantial income and driving some very nice cars....and going home to big, expensive homes. Granted they are probably very worried about the economy, too (especially with so many car manufacturers going under) but Toyota and many others are still surving in spite of all this.

57 months ago

I apologize if I offended anyone here. I have already replied to explain what my meaning was behind my first comment, and I'd like to add that I agree with this that another posted....."I believe that the CITIZEN who is better qualified to perform the job should get it, not be automatically disqualified due to a past mistake."....I agree with this statement totally, but this may never happen for for those who have not yet changed their own mindset, and who have not yet began to realize that times are tough for all of us....not just those who have a criminal record.

Also I'd like to add that some here have referred to "MY Mentality"...and my response to that is this...

You'd be much better off if you LOSE your "I've been victimized" Mentality. It sounds too much like the mentality of an alcoholic or drug user. Just my oppinion, and whether you want to admit it or not, it is true.

And many others like myself (including those who do the hiring) see statements like yours ("I'm still a victim and cant get a break") in the same light as I see it...as a "victimized mentality".

I have made mistakes in my youth, as well...but I chose NOT to become a Victim, but instead a SURVIVOR! And all those who know me, both in my personal and professional life, have always seen me as just that...A SURVIVOR!

My only point was that we are all suffering from the job market and todays economy. And that maybe you should stop whining about your lack of work being due to your criminal record, and instead realize that this is a nationwide problem...and that it's much bigger than your own little "victimized mentality."

Why not do like another mentioned, which is also what I am already doing myself, starting your own business? Or trying to branch out into other fields, such as bartending or car sales? I have very successful friends selling cars even now.

57 months ago

This is what I mean, you chose to become a Survivor, instead of a victim. Thanks for helping me to make my point. And kudos to you for having overcome your obstacles in life and in work!

57 months ago

you said, "THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX !!!! you have to adapt"

And it's Oh so TRUE! This is the kind of mentality that seperates those with the "victim mentality" from those with the "survivor mentality"!!!! And kudos to you, also for being another success story!

Lifer in Morristown, New Jersey

57 months ago

Brother Frustrated,

“My only point was that we are all suffering from the job market and today’s economy. And that maybe you should stop whining about your lack of work being due to your criminal record, and instead realize that this is a nationwide problem...”

Brother Frustrated you still don’t get it. We are not complaining about trying to get a job in today’s economy. You have that absolutely wrong. What we are complaining about is not being about to get a job in any economy, whether good or bad.

I received a felony conviction in 1992, I was laid off from a fortune 500 job in 2006, I have not had a job since. There was no recession in 2006.

The background check knocks us out in good times and bad.

And yes you choose to be a survivor or a victim, however employers also have a hand in making us survivors or victims.

I have filled out over 200 applications and have been honest on everyone before the recession and I have not received a call back from one of them.

We just wish to be on equal footing with the rest of the unemployed.

BroncoBilly in Denton, Texas

57 months ago

Just to comment more on the Business and Commerce Code. If you read section 20.09 law.onecle.com/texas/business/20.09.00.html it states that a consumer reporting agency is liable for 3 times actual damages or $1000, whichever is greater. So, you can sue them and say "Well, the job offered $60,000 a year. I've never kept a job less than 5 years. So that's $300,000. Multiplied times 3, plus mental anguish of course. You owe me about $1 million dollars". Watch them fall all over themselves to change the info in your credit report.

57 months ago

BroncoBilly in Denton, Texas said: Just to comment more on the Business and Commerce Code. If you read section 20.09 law.onecle.com/texas/business/20.09.00.html it states that a consumer reporting agency is liable for 3 times actual damages or $1000, whichever is greater. So, you can sue them and say "Well, the job offered $60,000 a year. I've never kept a job less than 5 years. So that's $300,000. Multiplied times 3, plus mental anguish of course. You owe me about $1 million dollars". Watch them fall all over themselves to change the info in your credit report.

By the way this applies to ANY background check prepared by a third party (Credit Reporting Agency). For example, lets say you submit an application to lease an apartment. The rent is $750.00 per month and it's a 1 year lease (that's a $9,000.00 contract). The apartment management request a background check and the CRA submits a report with a conviction older than 7 years (keep in mind this dates from that latter of arrest, conviction, release, or parole). Well, 9K times 3 is a cool $27,000.00 and this would actually be easier to prove than the employment scenario. :-)

Been meaning to try this.

57 months ago

Now thats what Im talking about BroncoBilly! Good job! Your awesome and dont anyone tell you different. Thats the point of this discussion board. Information that we can actually use. Way to stay on the ball. Ive recnetly found out that that one can become a probation officer or work in a wide variety of law enforcement careers. It all started with the comment of anyone can become a lawyer. Thanks for the kick start, I needed a new outlook.

destroyed in Henderson, North Carolina

57 months ago

I am retired military, single, and no problems with alcohol or drugs. Recently I was terminated from my job because I was accused of stealing money. The restaurant did not have proof that I took any money but they did have deposit slips showing up short. I was arrested and convicted of embezzlement. I never took a dime from them but I did fail to properly secure my deposit and someone took money out of the bag. I have never ever ever been in trouble with the law. My public defender convinced me to sign a statement admitting guilt to leaving the money unsecure. He told me if I do 225 hours of community service and pay $1300.00 in restitution the charges will be removed from my record. Since then I have not been able to get a job anywhere because the felony is listed on my background check until I complete the conditions of the court. I was evicted and my car has been repo'd. I am now homeless and living in my old broken down car. No one wili hire me. I can not pay my restitution and do not have transportation to do my community service. My family has ruined my rep by telling everyone I was fired for theft. I have been in the military since I was 18 and Im now 39 and retired so I only know how the system works in the military. I do have also a company threatning to turn over two seperate checks totaling $3000.00 that was returned. I wrote those checks to help my mom and dad out on a major repair for their home because no one will help them. The company gave me until Dec 31 but I know I cant pay them. My dad is now sick in the hospital and facing end of life and my mom is disabled. Does anyone know of anything I can do to get my life back? I dont know what to ask the DA but I do know I cant pay anything. Can you ask or try to plead down to a misdemeanor? How do I do this? I cant hire a lawyer either. I felt like I was backed in the corner. Will this follow me where ever I go? I thought of leaving the state because of fear of what the DA will do if she gets the checks.

Pettit lepoo

57 months ago

Hello everyone, I have a felony too, credit card abuse, ((( honestly is not like I killed someone, it was a mistake, period, I was 18 yrs old, ))) well seems like s a big deal though, I lost my job also, I have excellent experience in customer service & hospitality. Well gues what? I lost my job, I have applied over 80 jobs, all kinds, NO ONE has called, I really don't know what to think, it is very upsetting, ok we messed up, but hey some of us have been in jail, probation, who knows what else!!!!! Can someone help us? We Fu££% ed up, ok we are sorry, please some one help us, we can't even get a resent job? What about when I graduate? Mmm next may I'll get a finance & economics major degree!!! What am I gonna do? 8 yrs of university and Noone will hire me? This is upsetting we need someone to change some of the system here in the states, some people say " it sucks but it works" it doesn't work to every one, it only works to those who have $$$$ (( Chris brown)). The guy bit the sHh&)t out of that Tiana girl, what happen? " probation" sure my butt ... Why can't we get a pardon, something idk, we need help

57 months ago

Pettit lepoo said: Hello everyone, I have a felony too, credit card abuse, ((( honestly is not like I killed someone, it was a mistake, period, I was 18 yrs old, ))) well seems like s a big deal though, I lost my job also, I have excellent experience in customer service & hospitality. Well gues what? I lost my job, I have applied over 80 jobs, all kinds, NO ONE has called, I really don't know what to think, it is very upsetting, ok we messed up, but hey some of us have been in jail, probation, who knows what else!!!!! Can someone help us? We Fu££% ed up, ok we are sorry, please some one help us, we can't even get a resent job? What about when I graduate? Mmm next may I'll get a finance & economics major degree!!! What am I gonna do? 8 yrs of university and Noone will hire me? This is upsetting we need someone to change some of the system here in the states, some people say " it sucks but it works" it doesn't work to every one, it only works to those who have $$$$ (( Chris brown)). The guy bit the sHh&)t out of that Tiana girl, what happen? " probation" sure my butt ... Why can't we get a pardon, something idk, we need help

Bro I dont want to rain on your parade but you're probably not going to get a job working in your degree field. You can use it for other things if you just do some research. I speak from experience by the way. I had to change my major over and over again. Wasted thousands of dollars and even worse, years that I will never get back. Money can always be made but you can NEVER get those years back. I have a AAS in the Medical field, BS in Computer Security and now Im currently working on one in Law. All from private Universities I might add which means $$$$$ was thrown away.And I dont even have any felonies, how about that crap? It blows I know sometimes you might even feel helpless but none the less you gotta strive for success. Thats why Im pursuing a degree in law, so I can try and make a difference for us all. God Bless

destroyed in Henderson, North Carolina

57 months ago

Did I mention also that I live in a very poor town. The City elected officials always say there isnt enough money to fight the crime here. But if you drive down town you will see a brand new huge police station, a brand new huge courtroom, a brand new huge Sheriffs Deparment, and a brand new huge library fit for a king. All of the cops, city and county, have brand new styled uniforms, brand new outfitted dodge chargers, and a million dollar library in a town where people barely graduate from hich school. In fact, the city built the library without getting votes from the tax payers. Any type of Municipality requires approval by the tax payers. Right next door to the billion dollar police station I mean the very next building over, its borded up, the next building is condemmed, the houses around it are all old and fallen down, and some boarded up. If someone steals something from you, or breaks in your house, or destroy your property, they get a slap on the risk. Its usually a bond set for maybe $500.00. How much of that do you think they are paying to get out. If someone gets pulled over for driving on expired tags, and no insurance, well holly caca theyre going to jail on the spot and getting slapped with a $1000.00 court fine. In a few weeks a few prisoners that were convicted of Murder are being released into society with no monitoring what so ever because by law they have served their LIFE sentence, thier life sentence was for 80 years. Hmmm I wonder how the victims feel? If you visit our governors mansion you will find most of the workers are ex-cons. Rapists, manslaughter, child molesters, etc. Hard core criminals, and the governor threw them a party for christmas and then went on national tv and said "Im tough on Crime" At what point does she thinks shes tough on crime, is it only during election time, or is her idea of tough defined as not getting them a present for Christmas. Whats wrong with our legal system? Why is our country afraid to fix it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

23psalm in San Antonio, Texas

57 months ago

My son will be getting out of state jail in about 2.5 weeks I have copied your comments and will be mailing it to him in jail - I hope he finds encouragement and hope in your comments. We will do everything we can to help him to contribute to society and be a help to others.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.