why is hard for a felon to get a job but if your a lawyer,judge no problems

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 268)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Jay-J in Statesville, North Carolina

79 months ago

krazykane in Reading, Pennsylvania said: agree, contact me and I will help start a major coalition

Please help find an attorney that will expunge my criminal record. My criminal record dates back to 1993 and below. I live in Statesville,North Carolina. Please email me back. This criminal recird of mine is really holding me back,and I am scared that bI will lose everything that I've worked so hard for since I've been home.Please help me. thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Beat The Streets in San Antonio, Texas

79 months ago

price7099 in San Antonio, Texas said: why arent there any success stories. i no theres alot of convicts that have good paying jobs and making it common..

Please give me some leads for employment so that I can give you success stories. Please visit our website @ www.beatthestreetstexas.com Thanks

Michael Elliott

Ruben in San Antonio

78 months ago

I'm now creeping on 40 years of age. I have six kids who I love dearly and since my release in 1991 have done my best to teach them right from wrong. My two oldest are in college and doing well. Four others in school. My problem is I have not been able to find steady work that pays well enough to support my family. I have to pay child support as well which, if I had stayed on top of from the get go, wouldn't be so bad but I have a court date tomorrow for child support arrears which I have been unable to pay because the little work I've been able to drum up all these years isn't enough to support my wife & four kids. That's not to say I don't have a relationship with my other two. It's quite the contrary. Our relationship is great! However, the judge won't hear any of that, I'm sure. It won't matter that by putting me in jail he'll be punishing me for non payment of child support (my kids are NOT in need nor struggling) which would be fine if I just didn't care, but he'll be jeopardizing the welfare of four other kids! ALL I WANT IS A GOOD PAYING JOB TO SUPPORT MY FAMILY!!! ALL OF THEM!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Elmira, New York

78 months ago

john rodriguez in San Antonio, Texas said: I made a mistake and paid for it but im poor if I go fill out an app. im praying they call me to work.I have expereince in all kinds of trades but Im still on a computer searching for a good job why is that.

Like I said in another "Hire a felon please!" were all having a hell of a time finding work, not just felon's but everyone! Your best chance of survival is to stay in school, get good grades, and fight the system from the inside. Dont let the government win, beat them at their own game!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Elmira, New York

78 months ago

Joe in Elmira, New York said: Like I said in another forum, "Hire a felon please!" were all having a hell of a time finding work, not just felon's but everyone who is looking for work! Your best chance of survival is to stay in school, get good grades, and fight the system from the inside. Dont let the government win, beat them at their own game!

I myself am working on going to school but I need to find the right one first before I can make that sacrifice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmason in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

My husband is also having problems finding employment due to a 7 yo drug possesion chg for which he didnt even go to prison. We have been trying to decide on a trade he can learn quickly that would be least likely to care about background. I do know for sure of two careers and schools that do not care about felonies but he needs something shorter term. I have two friends that I referred to this school after I met someone who came from another state to attend it. All are employed. Anyone know about commercial diving or NDT? The school is OCEAN CORP.It is in Houston and you can get financial aid.
Anyway, we are looking for something shorter and in SA area for now if anyone has any ideas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmason in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

Jay-J in Statesville, North Carolina said: Please help find an attorney that will expunge my criminal record. My criminal record dates back to 1993 and below. I live in Statesville,North Carolina. Please email me back. This criminal recird of mine is really holding me back,and I am scared that bI will lose everything that I've worked so hard for since I've been home.Please help me. thank You.

My husband is also interested in this but I read something on eligibility and it didnt sound promising. If you know details please post them.To my knowledge you have to be pardoned or never found guilty etc. I hope im wrong. I do know about motion of non-disclosure, which is alot easier but only applies to deferred adjudication.

Micki in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

Use your local grassroots connections. Project Quest is grant-funded by the state and federal gov at the UTSA downtown campus has vocational and technical training that is current and in demand in the local San Antonio economy. They can apply for financial aid for you or use their own grant monies to pay for the courses. HVAC, nursing, and more call them for more details. There is also Alpha Omega john@alphaomegactc.org on the west side who does HVAC training but it is $3,000 and I don't know if they get financial aid assistance. Use these resources to lead you. There's also Alamo Labor Properties and they also get funding to send people to vocational training.

Micki in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

Please start using your nonprofits to find resources for you. United Way (call 211) is a huge umbrella with many smaller nonprofits under it for just this cause.

SanAntonian in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

What are the 2 career fields you spoke of, Im sure everyone that stops at this site would like to know also. We are all here looking for the same things, a career or even a job. In San Antonio a decent truck driving school is SAGE. Its part of St. Phillips College continuing education dept. You can even get most of it paid through financial aid from the school, Id look into that asap because they have a special going on right now. Any how Id like to kow what the 2 fields that you mentioned so I can spread the word. Thanks and good luck.

David H in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

Hey, thank you to everyone who contributed to this very important question. It helps to know I'm not the only one and that there are other people out there and heck even here in San Antonio who know exactly who I feel. How frustrating it can feel after a job has been run down, interview is over and things are hopeful, only to be informed that it is not because of the "F Word".
Hand tight brothers and sisters. I know it's frustrating. I have 2 felonies on attempting to obtain a controlled sustance by fraud. If my offense simply read "Attemp to obtain a controlled substance" I wouldn't have quite a harder time of it. It's that last two word...by fraud. That scares away a lot of potential employers. My opinion for what it's worth.
I have been lucky and I've found emplyment a few times. Try temp agencies if you're looking for customer service-type jobs or office jobs. I've been lucky going that route. Good luck everyone! Maybe our paths will cross at a job interview some day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

David H in San Antonio, Texas said: Hey, thank you to everyone who contributed to this very important question. It helps to know I'm not the only one and that there are other people out there and heck even here in San Antonio who know exactly who I feel. How frustrating it can feel after a job has been run down, interview is over and things are hopeful, only to be informed that it is not because of the "F Word".
Hand tight brothers and sisters. I know it's frustrating. I have 2 felonies on attempting to obtain a controlled sustance by fraud. If my offense simply read "Attemp to obtain a controlled substance" I wouldn't have quite a harder time of it. It's that last two word...by fraud. That scares away a lot of potential employers. My opinion for what it's worth.
I have been lucky and I've found emplyment a few times. Try temp agencies if you're looking for customer service-type jobs or office jobs. I've been lucky going that route. Good luck everyone! Maybe our paths will cross at a job interview some day.

From what Ive noticed from reading many law books Texas is notorious for wording petty crimes in a way that will basically screw you for ever. My personal favorite is " Burglary of a vehicle" this is a misdemeanor by the way. An employer sees burglary and assumes you have a felony burglary,or even that you've stolen a car trying to get a job with that is very hard. By using the word "Appropriation of a vehicle" basically means about the same thing but it isnt catergorized as a burglary. There are many more that our law makers have spent many many hours or days thinking over so you will say were you are for many years if not for ever. And thats screwed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

David H in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

Wow! Who knew? I know the legal term of burglary and am shocked that the law uses that word. My gosh, do you think they sit around (lawmakers I am speaking of) and think of ways to stick it to those of us that have made mistakes? My felonies were not violent crimes, not even close. But like I've stated above, employers see those last two words..."by fraud" and they think I'm going to clean out their company using fraud. So frustrating. I had a drug problem which is being dealt with in a 12-step program, not a problem frauding old ladies out of their social security checks. Anyway, thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Hap in San Antonio, Texas

78 months ago

john rodriguez in San Antonio, Texas said: I made a mistake and paid for it but im poor if I go fill out an app. im praying they call me to work.I have expereince in all kinds of trades but Im still on a computer searching for a good job why is that.

TDCJ trained me in HVAC and because of the Liability Insurance policies employers wont hire. Yes the legislator needs to revise, repeal etc...but they are not unless pushed in front of them are documents challenging the problematic situation. TDCJ could be liable for training while they knew or should have known there was an empediment. Yes, I'd say they just want it all to look good on paper but that's not what the legislatyor intended. Another thing is Project Rio and TDCJ were supposed to coordinate to help ex offenders re-integrate by finding meaningful emplyment to those TDCJ trained but Rio was never notified nor had any paperwork on me as outlined in the criteria. I have it all on paper and am considering court action...someone needs to or else it's just another revolving door...go figure.

ruthy in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

Shannon in San Antonio, Texas said: Hi everyone - I went out and created a petition for the Texas felons on the employment situation. I know this may not do anything, but you know what we have to stick together and try and get something done about this. We are not evil or mean people, we are just people who made careless mistakes, did our time and now trying to live our life the way we should. Take a look at the link attached and please by all means sign it and get everyone you know to sign it. I'm also going to try and get a meeting with my State Rep to see just what, if anything, going to try and help us. On another note Project Rio - will only help you get a minimum paying job, so therefore its up to us, to take care and look out for each other. If I hear of anyone hiring, I will post it... Good Luck and lets try to get something going. Who knows we might find some new lawyer who is interested and ready to make a name for himself...

Employment for Felons petition:

www.gopetition.com/online/27417.html

I thought by moving from my home in wilm, DE to Houston was a good idea. I have a felony conviction that is 13yrs old. I have experince with substance abuse counseling/social work. Looking for work. I havwe been reading up on Texas law the are hard on felonies. But GOD is great and I have come so far. I will not give up on people and the grace and mercy of GOD. I'm sending my 9yr old son back to NJ with his father and I'm going to go back to college and recieve the Human Services degree I started in 2000. I know GOD has something he wants me to do for mankind,AM I not my brother's Keeper. Please keep in touch. 'm down with the struggle there is power in #'s. Ruth PS have you hard about Paster Derrick Johnson in Wilm, DE and all the work he is doing,I need to network with people who are willing to stand up for what's right and just. C

sunrise in Bronx, New York

77 months ago

There is no god. wake up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

T.Reid in Alvin, Texas

77 months ago

Sunrise in Bronx, New York said: There is no god. wake up.

finally!!!!! someone with some sense!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Keatts in Donna, Texas

77 months ago

In 1988, I was convicted for Credit Card fraud and sentenced to 25 years in Texas State Prison. I served 18 years and was released in 2006 to serve a 7 year parole.

Four years later Iam on my way to a successful life. I'm a 2008 graduate of a nursing assistant program, and presently attend South Texas Vocational Institute in Weslaco,Texas in the computer Accounting Program. I'm hold a 4.0 GPA,school Ambassador,and Mentor.

I'm married of 3 years and raising a 12 year old.

Now what I really want to share with everyone here that have really tried to get good jobs after coming out of prison and have had somewhat of a difficult time. To the point of giving up. I would like to encourage you to never give up!

I'm currently employed by company that works closely with a Texas bank. I work in ATM/Debit. Montoring calls.

So what I would say anyone coming out of prison or someone that has been out for sometime, If you want the good jobs. they are out there for even the convicted. Prove yourself in society. Live a clean lifestyle and stay out of trouble. And you too will find a great job! The key to my success is not how many people I know, but in knowing only one. Jesus Christ! God turned my wasted life around and gave me a real future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

frankvasquez9181 in San Antonio, Texas

76 months ago

i have a misdeminor for a push out of my way,notthing personal.but its there since 2005.im looking for a good paying job with a growing company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

frankvasquez9181 in San Antonio, Texas

76 months ago

i'm looking for work with a decent company.and benefits as well i do have many skill's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike in San Antonio, Texas

76 months ago

this website is for real convicts man..that misdemeanor aint. nothing..

76 months ago

mike in San Antonio, Texas said: this website is for real convicts man..that misdemeanor aint. nothing..

Actually its for anyone who needs help with a record. In case that somebody finds a way through all this unjust, demeaning, stuff you would like to know about it wouldnt you? We are all here to share information to one another. Regardless if you have felonies or misdemeanors. Because, no matter what you have on your record everyone is able to see exactly what you've been convicted of thank to the post 9-1-1 laws. B*st*rd Binladen. And by the way not all employers are schooled in how to read a criminal background check. So most of them are reading things that they cannot interpret, so whether its a misdemeanor or not it doesnt matter any more. Were all looked at as convicted, end of story. But this should be looked at as constructive criticism.

jobs4 in San Antonio, Texas

76 months ago

Hello, I have read many of the hardships and struggles that all of you that write in have gone through. I too struggle to make ends meet, imagine if you will a room filled with 2 thousand, 3 thousand of fellow ex-, don't you think that with a little organization and forethought that we could solve some of the problems of unemployment, or find and use stimulas $$$ for creation of programs to help ex-. The room is the internet and thousands attend daily. We are not lables we are living breathing emotional humans that with a little patience, idea sharing and faith can make our own opportunities. I am looking for a webmaster in the S.A. area, preferably like us, I already have a grant writer, I can utilize time real well, if you know what I mean. Thanks for listening.

MizzPresidential in Irving, Texas

76 months ago

Mike Keatts in Donna, Texas said: In 1988, I was convicted for Credit Card fraud and sentenced to 25 years in Texas State Prison. I served 18 years and was released in 2006 to serve a 7 year parole.

Four years later Iam on my way to a successful life. I'm a 2008 graduate of a nursing assistant program, and presently attend South Texas Vocational Institute in Weslaco,Texas in the computer Accounting Program. I'm hold a 4.0 GPA,school Ambassador,and Mentor.

I'm married of 3 years and raising a 12 year old.

Now what I really want to share with everyone here that have really tried to get good jobs after coming out of prison and have had somewhat of a difficult time. To the point of giving up. I would like to encourage you to never give up!

I'm currently employed by company that works closely with a Texas bank. I work in ATM/Debit. Montoring calls.

So what I would say anyone coming out of prison or someone that has been out for sometime, If you want the good jobs. they are out there for even the convicted. Prove yourself in society. Live a clean lifestyle and stay out of trouble. And you too will find a great job! The key to my success is not how many people I know, but in knowing only one. Jesus Christ! God turned my wasted life around and gave me a real future.

Your message inspired me, I have a six year old felony for credit card fraud, I served no jail time and five years probation. I have interviewed with several great companies and have had to deal with rejection after rejection! I currently work part time at a resturaunt and taking real estate classes. I have completed medical billing and coding program with a 4.0 gpa and deans list. I need a more challenging job and better pay but nothing is coming thru... I need a miracle!

lvaldez in Schertz, Texas

76 months ago

M290farley@gmail.comF in San Antonio, Texas said: stay strong yes! we need to fight back and change the laws we need a lawyer to represent us nation wide any ideas everybody reading this needs to email me so we can bond together for now and tomorrow ex offenders rise up!!! let are voice be heard we've paid in full already!!!! why should we suffer for ever!!!! it's not fair! it's a crime in itself what there doing to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree we should all go to austin tx at the capitol and speak our minds and fight. We all need to take a stand RIGHT NOW!!! I got laid off in 08 been in radio broadcasting since 88,can't find a job anywhere. yes i screwed up 3 x's for dwi,but now at the age of 41 going back to college starting on the right track still got a long ways to go to get my degree i am worried about not getting a good job with my degree ..If anyone out there is going to form an organization for us felons TO SPEAK AND BE HEARD IN AUSTIN PUT ME DOWN FOR THAT ...

elliemae in Los Lunas, New Mexico

75 months ago

MizzPresidential in Irving, Texas said: Your message inspired me, I have a six year old felony for credit card fraud, I served no jail time and five years probation. I have interviewed with several great companies and have had to deal with rejection after rejection! I currently work part time at a resturaunt and taking real estate classes. I have completed medical billing and coding program with a 4.0 gpa and deans list. I need a more challenging job and better pay but nothing is coming thru... I need a miracle!

Will you be able to obtain your real estate license? I have a felony from twelve years ago, bad checks, then many drinking related violations up until about four years ago when I decided to change my life. I have been reading up on TREC...it says that you have to get an FBI fingerprint background check. I have like 10 charges. 1 felony, the rest are assault charges. Not an ideal situation for me. Do you think they will let me get licensed or should I stop wasting my time? Moving to DFW in two weeks.

Eloise in Long Beach, California

74 months ago

Mimi in San Antonio, Texas said: I am not an exoffender but I work with women exoffenders at a nonprofit-I can somewhat feel your pain...just remember, we were all young once-I did alot of illegal activities as most of us have-ask Obama and Clinton (one inhaled and the other didn't-ha!ha!) My point is-I've done everything everyone else has-but never got caught. That is only difference between a felon and one without a record. That is what I tell my girls at the re-entry program and any goody two-shoes who says they didn't are liars and hypocrits.

Excuse me - not everyone out here drinks alcohol or smokes or has ever used drugs!! It isn't "I just don't get caught" - I really DON'T do those things. Don't just assume everyone on the planet drinks or does drugs and then call people who "say" we don't, hypocrites. If someone said that to my face - called me a liar for saying that I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs - then - the way things are going these days I just might commit a crime after all....!

crystalmaguilera in San Antonio, Texas

74 months ago

Jallen2000 in San Antonio, Texas said: First of all there are a huge number or agencies out there to help with the bills. It is alot of work but they will help. I found that not working was more work than clocking in somewhere. United Way has a list and the food stamp office has a list. Salvation Army has excellent staff and resources. Now never, never give up hope. The right door will open for you. You have to keep trying and that one interview will pay off. My record is horrible but I know that I have the skills to give the right employer. Sometimes it is alot of self talk and other times you just need to vent to someone. But if you know in your heart that you are good and qualified then you walk in those interviews and sell yourself. And if you don't get hired it wasn't the right job. Sometimes desperation makes us fell like ever interview has to be the one but actually there is something that would just not fit us. Hang in there.You can over come. I look at how much effort I put into the hard part of 37 years and know that I can put that effort and more into getting the right life. If you need some more help in the resource department let me know through this forum and I will pull some information together for you.

My boyfriend is currently looking for work. He is with a temp agency right now but nothing is guaranteed. If you would please send me some information that you have with any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated. my email is crystalmaguilera@yahoo.com. Please be sure to post in the subject area something like felony info or something so i do not disreguard your email. Thanks for your time.

Crystal

Stitch in West Des Moines, Iowa

74 months ago

God Bless you all.
I know personally some people in positions of great authority and public trust who have committed MULTIPLE felony crimes but were able to perform the proper legal gymnastics to avoid suffering ANY consequences. These people have totally clean records and still maintain very high paying, successfull careers although they've committed multiple felony crimes themselves. {I don't mean "crimes" like getting caught with a bag of pot, but crimes that really hurt people}. It's really, really sad. I'm ashamed that things are this way. I wish I had something more helpful to offer, but I can tell you that the Lord Almighty in His Son Jesus Christ is the God of 2nd, 3rd, 4th and infinite chances. In Him, He will keep no record of your past wrongs and He is on your side. Keep your eyes on the big picture. This present system that is unjustly denying you a chance is very, very temporary. God has the final say. He is on the throne. He is in charge, period. Always remember that.

jeffro1277@*****.*** in Austin, Texas

74 months ago

M290farley@gmail.comF in San Antonio, Texas said: Yes we should form a colation and demand a new laws for ex offenders that stay out of trouble and have a proven track record of being stable in society.. I'm pissed I have 2 felon Dwi's and am screwed!!! now for life it seem. I'm a good soul and would save a stranger from harm way I never hurt anyone at all and I am rejected from great jobs all the time what can we do theres a lot of naton wide that are trying to make and are doing great staying out of trouble and we are just slamed nation wide!!!!! this was got to change! why can are state offical not pay taxes untill there asked to and still run for office and break all kind off civil laws.

Im 32 years old and got in trouble back in 97 dui and got a felony cuz I did it twice all before age 21.
I agree with you! We need to form a coalition and do something about this! laws do need to be changed. I mean I got in trouble for dui what does that have to do with me getting a job at Mcdonalds or walmart? I cant even get a job at Mcdonalds where I worked at when I was 16. craziness. If anyone is reading this and knows of a good lawyer or even a lawmaker or a senator please show him this site.

jeffro1277@*****.*** in Austin, Texas

74 months ago

lvaldez in Schertz, Texas said: I agree we should all go to austin tx at the capitol and speak our minds and fight. We all need to take a stand RIGHT NOW!!! I got laid off in 08 been in radio broadcasting since 88,can't find a job anywhere. yes i screwed up 3 x's for dwi,but now at the age of 41 going back to college starting on the right track still got a long ways to go to get my degree i am worried about not getting a good job with my degree ..If anyone out there is going to form an organization for us felons TO SPEAK AND BE HEARD IN AUSTIN PUT ME DOWN FOR THAT ...

I live in Austin I have been saying this for a while lets do this! Form a coalition to give felons their rights back and jobs also. It would seriously boost the economy. It would take felons such as myself off of unemployment which is costing money to the government. Felons could be a better fit to employers than those who have not yet been caught. On one hand you have a felon that has more than learned his lesson but he is unemployed, and on another hand you have an employee for a company that doesnt know what he is doing and is just out there getting drunk or high every day and has not yet been caught, one day that employed person becomes a felon and the employer is wondering who the hell he can hire. Do an extensive background check and see that you can hire some felons that did something 20 years ago and didnt do anything since then.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

prottie@*****.*** in San Antonio, Texas

73 months ago

I have also tried to find some jobs. I don't care what it is as long as I have a job. I have a felony from when I was young,and is still follows me. When walking in the hot sun everyday to fill an app, and then to be told no, it is so hard. I will never give up. When you try to find out what you have they have your as as your current age which is now and these things happened way back in my younger days. Even if you ask can you just give me a chance I will do a good job and you wont have any problems with me.

Mimi in San Antonio, Texas

73 months ago

There are employers in San Antonio who recieve a tax credit for hiring ex-offenders. It is finding that resource of employers. I do not know if you are male or female-check with The Neighborhood Place on Rivas St on the Westside (off General McMullen Rd) to see if they have a resource sheet of these employers who recieve tax incentives for hiring ex-offenders...TNP host the annual job fair for ex-offenders every year between August and September. The Neighborhood Place is also a one-stop resource rich place to get alot of answers. Keep asking someone there topoint you in the right direction. In Food Service-Aramark I believe hires people with felonies and Zachary Construction here in town-if they do not (but they were at the 08 SA First Annual Ex-offender Job Fair)keep asking! Someone has to know the answers or someone that does.

price7099 in San Antonio, Texas

73 months ago

you no thats a great idea..and its good that your venting online but we both no thats not possible...we`re worth more in jail paying probation or prison than just paying taxes..the state and government would love for you and alot of others, to stop paying taxes so they could have more reason to take from us.and be penalized further.im sure your a good person, as am i, educated etc..buy from now on we`re convicts..scumm...to society that is ..im would never call,think of myself, or other convicts..like that..buy there are way to many people with no crimal record to even consider us for those types of jobs right no...me saying right now of coarse im speaking of the economy and the further..we decline and go toward dept..

mikey in Newton, Mississippi

72 months ago

redsfn7576 in Columbus, Ohio said: Well none of you are alone. I am a convicted felon. Its been tweleve years and it sill haunts me. I have over 8 years in the trucking industry no acc. no tickets. I've been out of work for a month and a half. I cant find a job anywhere because of my past mistakes. Its not fair and seems like no one gives a squat.

I am in the same catagory with you i have over 10 years in otr truck driving no dui's, no tickets in past 7 years, no wrecks, and i have 14 years as a machinist, been out now 6 years not a single employer will give me a chance as soon as they do the background check and see possession of schedule iv medication its like i have killed someone or raped a child, this drug war has gone way too far its destorying america not the drugs the war on them,

72 months ago

redsfn7576 in Columbus, Ohio said: Well none of you are alone. I am a convicted felon. Its been tweleve years and it sill haunts me. I have over 8 years in the trucking industry no acc. no tickets. I've been out of work for a month and a half. I cant find a job anywhere because of my past mistakes. Its not fair and seems like no one gives a squat.

I am in the same catagory with you i have over 10 years in otr truck driving no dui's, no tickets in past 7 years, no wrecks, and i have 14 years as a machinist, been out now 6 years not a single employer will give me a chance as soon as they do the background check and see possession of schedule iv medication its like i have killed someone or raped a child, this drug war has gone way too far its destorying america not the drugs the war on them,

72 months ago

jeffro1277@yahoo.com in Austin, Texas said: Im 32 years old and got in trouble back in 97 dui and got a felony cuz I did it twice all before age 21.
I agree with you! We need to form a coalition and do something about this! laws do need to be changed. I mean I got in trouble for dui what does that have to do with me getting a job at Mcdonalds or walmart? I cant even get a job at Mcdonalds where I worked at when I was 16. craziness. If anyone is reading this and knows of a good lawyer or even a lawmaker or a senator please show him this site.

Hey i am with you 100 percent i got out 6 years ago for possession of xanax and i can not even get a job paving hot asphalt at minimun wage everyone doing background checks now i guess, no hope for an ex con unless we get together and stop this madness.

72 months ago

lvaldez in Schertz, Texas said: I agree we should all go to austin tx at the capitol and speak our minds and fight. We all need to take a stand RIGHT NOW!!! I got laid off in 08 been in radio broadcasting since 88,can't find a job anywhere. yes i screwed up 3 x's for dwi,but now at the age of 41 going back to college starting on the right track still got a long ways to go to get my degree i am worried about not getting a good job with my degree ..If anyone out there is going to form an organization for us felons TO SPEAK AND BE HEARD IN AUSTIN PUT ME DOWN FOR THAT ...

hey I got out 6 years ago enlisted in college got an associate degree have not gotten in any more trouble since, and not one employer will hire me even with a degree, they say its punative libality suits that could destory their company so they said its a no choice but not to hire me, even as a janitor or grounds keeper,at minimun wage,civil libality suits have stopped the hiring of felons in american almost 98 percent of the time. what do we do other than form a coalition to stop this madness. my crime was nonviolent i did my 9 years for possession of xanax yet i am still doing time today.

mario linares in San Antonio, Texas

72 months ago

Shannon in San Antonio, Texas said: There are success stories out there. I am one of them. I have been out 21 yrs and I have a great job, a home, a new car and living comfortably. It didn't come easy and I worked my behind to get where I am today. But yes, there are some of us who have done good, but they are few and far between. We get discouraged because we are turned down over and over again. If you continue to fight for what you know is right and have faith, eventually things will work out. I worked for a company for over 7 yrs, then was laid off when the economy took a nose dive. It was scary to say the least. I went without a job for over 7 months, but I finally landed another one and its as good as the one I had before. I make more money then an average person, heck I make more money then my PO, but its because I have strived to do the right thing. I have a life sentence, but that hasn't stopped me from trying to do the best I can. I'm a single mother and I'm doing just fine. I would love to be able to open up an employment agency that works strictly with felons, teach them basic computer skills, customer service skills and the ability to know how to act during an interview etc. There are alot of tax breaks out there for companies to get if they will take a chance on hiring a felon. I am continuing my networking and spreading the word about the tax breaks and hoping that someone or some company will listen to me and get the backing I need to open up this non-profit. I wish everyone a success story and if you need any advice please respond to my postings and I will help you as much as I can.

i have a few questions about my situation if you could please email me as soon as possible i really need some help. ive been un employed for 6 months also. please contact me at my e mail adress.thank you

Felon in Lubbock, Texas

72 months ago

I am a paralegal for a criminal lawyer, and I was completely unaware of this statute. I am fascinated by this new information. It has been almost 6 years since I completed my sentence for two felonies. Armed with this new information, I would still not lie on an application, because if the employer finds out you lied on your application, it is grounds for termination. My past, although I am not proud of it, is part of me. It does not define me, but it made me who I am today, which is a strong, smart, compassionate, determined woman. I am one of the fortunate ones. I was hired by my former defense attorney after I was released from state jail. He saw through the B.S. and gave me a chance. He even helped me with paralegal school. There are some compassionate, forgiving employers out there, although they are few and far between. I also had some luck with the Workforce Commission. They know which places hire felons and won't send you to a place that doesn't. Express Personnel Services also hired me. All I can say is pray, believe, dig in your heels and stay determined. I think the idea for the coalition is an excellent one. I think REFORMED felons should come together and make so much noise in Austin that they can't ignore us. The laws need to be reformed, and exceptions need to be added. I think that if a felon has not re-offended within 5 years (maybe 10) that they should be included in the affirmative action list. Just my thoughts. If someone wants to share a comment with me, you can contact me at lawgirl1020@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Felon in Lubbock, Texas

72 months ago

I just spoke with one of our attorneys who knows our local Representative and we are going to have a meeting about writing a bill to change the laws for REFORMED felons. I'll keep y'all posted and will call on you when it's time for our voices to be heard.

hapihakr in San Antonio, Texas

72 months ago

Felon in Lubbock, Texas said: I just spoke with one of our attorneys who knows our local Representative and we are going to have a meeting about writing a bill to change the laws for REFORMED felons. I'll keep y'all posted and will call on you when it's time for our voices to be heard.

Be careful about rocking the boat. Ask the legislature to change the law and they won't necessarily change it in your favor. Laws exist that protect the rights of ex-cons. The failure is the lack of existence of applicable laws; the failure is in the application of the laws that exist.

Read this statute from the Texas Business and Commerce Code:
www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/BC/htm/BC.20.htm#20.05

And read my previous post:
www.indeed.com/forum/loc/San-Antonio-Texas/why-is-hard-felon-get-job-but-if-your-lawyer-judge/t91120/p1#c940478

It's probably not a good idea to rock the boat in the legislature. It is not likely that they will lower the time limit or harshen penalties for violations. It is entirely possible that they repeal the law altogether. Work within the existing legal framework. Learn your rights and how to protect them.

Good luck.

crys in Westerville, Ohio

72 months ago

My bro is going through the same thing I feel so bad cause the system is made so that once you get in you never get out.. maybe people who have a felony(ies) should get together, collaborate? Protest together, unfortunately all the websites I have been to, have heard the same thing one big voice can ne heard, it is possible. I believe if you served your time and you are trying to get somewhere you should be given a chance so that you dont go back to that lifestyle.

crys in Westerville, Ohio

72 months ago

Bruce in San Antonio, Texas said: Hello Shannon, I have been going through the same ordeal as everyone else. I'd hopefully like to talk more with you about what's happening if you are available. musikman1115@aol.com

My bro is going through the same thing I feel so bad cause the system is made so that once you get in you never get out.. maybe people who have a felony(ies) should get together, collaborate? Protest together, unfortunately all the websites I have been to, have heard the same thing one big voice can ne heard, it is possible. I believe if you served your time and you are trying to get somewhere you should be given a chance so that you dont go back to that lifestyle.

Kaelinda in Shanks, West Virginia

71 months ago

Think about this from the point of view of the employer. If s/he hires a felon and that felon commits another crime, that employer will be in the news - and it will be all bad publicity. Employers can't take a chance on a felon.

Think about it from the point of view of a victim. Identity theft destroys lives - completely and utterly. So what if someone committed the crime 10 years ago, my life is STILL a disaster. I was too old then and am too old now to make back the money that was stolen from me or the reputation that was stolen from me. I no longer drive a car because my driver's license was revoked when someone else, using my license, got 21 points - 21!!!- on my license. My disability insurance was disallowed because while I was laid up in bed with a broken back, some one else was working in another state using my social security number. Just tell me why the person who did this to me should have another chance in society, when I will never have one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Travis in Alvin, Texas

71 months ago

You are right about us needing some type of represention, but I think the only good a lawyer would do, would be to point us in the right direction. The way I see it the system doesn't understand the system! I was released in 2008, and got my Phd in how to cook crystal meth IN prison!! You can attend their state sponsored schools, but your diploma is about as worthless as toilet paper. An incentive program that would keep ex-cons from re-offending would be a start. I honestly think that nobody understands what we have to endure after we are released. Even as a commercial diver, background checks are becoming the norm, regardless of your qualifications. I speak 7 different languages, have a BA, single parent, and a FELONY, that cost me 6 months of my life, and seemingly a lifetime of shut doors and let downs. Ive almost even considered renouncing my citizenship here in the U.S. and moving overseas,BUT I was under the impression that the time I spent in prison was me paying my debt to society! Why then, am I STILL paying for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Daniele Pitts in Lubbock, Texas

71 months ago

My goal is to get the legislature changed or create new legislature that addresses these issues. My boss just hired another ex-con, and we are both so grateful to him for giving us a chance. The lawyers in our office now see, because of us, what most ex-cons endure upon release. They are willing to help in any way. Rome wasn't built in a day, so I won't get this done overnight. But, rest assured that I will not give up.

Travis in Alvin, Texas

71 months ago

You go brother!! We all have that one common thread that binds us, regardless of who we are or where we came from! I do think your head is in the right place, and I would be more than willing to help out, or work mutually with you on this matter!
My e-mail is travisdickensheets@ymail.com

hapihakr in San Antonio, Texas

71 months ago

Daniele Pitts in Lubbock, Texas said: My goal is to get the legislature changed or create new legislature that addresses these issues. My boss just hired another ex-con, and we are both so grateful to him for giving us a chance. The lawyers in our office now see, because of us, what most ex-cons endure upon release. They are willing to help in any way. Rome wasn't built in a day, so I won't get this done overnight. But, rest assured that I will not give up.

Don't be so quick to rock the boat. It might tip over and if it sinks, we all drown. There already exist laws that benefit ex-cons. Read this post: www.indeed.com/forum/loc/San-Antonio-Texas/why-is-hard-felon-get-job-but-if-your-lawyer-judge/t91120/p1#c940478

I don't think you can get the legislature to do anymore than they already have. However, I certainly think you can convince them to repeal that law altogether... and then where would we be. You are much better off trying to enforce the existing law. Yeah, that means you got to hire an attorney. But you do have rights and you can enforce them.

Daniele Pitts in Lubbock, Texas

71 months ago

All that legislation does is make it where you can lie, but when your boss finds out later (and they will) that you lied, you're fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.