why is hard for a felon to get a job but if your a lawyer,judge no problems

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 260)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Daniele Pitts in Lubbock, Texas

44 months ago

All that legislation does is make it where you can lie, but when your boss finds out later (and they will) that you lied, you're fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike677 in Meridian, Mississippi

44 months ago

you are right i had a job and after two years someone found my real name and a record then i was fired......i guess it comes down to a felon has no place in society with all the wonderful do gooders who never did wrong, maybe they should exile people like me or execute us that would stop all cvrime i am sure, so get me my last cigarette.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ilovemyhusabnd2010 in San Antonio, Texas

43 months ago

Donna said: Go to SA Quality Fence & Welding-they give you a chance to change your life ask for Craig Noto or Ollie Burkett....My best of luck
to you....

this place you talk about,where is it at

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

hapihakr in San Antonio, Texas

43 months ago

SA Quality Fence & Welding is located at 13115 Wetmore Rd.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

marlinrebel in San Antonio, Texas

43 months ago

Shannon in San Antonio in San Antonio, Texas said: Hello everyone - please don't feel like you are going through this alone. I am a felon. It's been 21 yrs since my conviction and I have been home 14 yrs coming in May. I had worked for a Fortune 500 company up until last month - when I was laid off with another 100 people due to the economy. I was making more money then my PO, but now I'm not making anything. I have filled out approximately 60+ applications - which I know I more then qualified but I haven't rec'd not one call back. We all know why they don't call back. It's like OMG - they have been in prison - they are bad bad people. I hate we are judged by the felons who come home and screw up again. Not all of us are like that. There are a handful of us - who are really trying to make the best life we can for ourselves and our family. If we could only create an organization that would actually help us felons - that would be awesome, but we are talking about society - and we aren't going to get any breaks regardless. If anyone hears of someone willing to take a chance, please drop me a line. I am a single mother, with mortgage, car note etc, and of course don't qualify for state assistance because my house and vehicle appraises out too much.... Go figure... Thanks for reading and GOOD LUCK to everyone.....

let's chat marlinrebel@yahoo.com

43 months ago

Oh, and let me just add this. We already did our time and now we are out. And guess what? WE ARE YOUR NEIGHBORS!!!

RA in Las Vegas, Nevada

41 months ago

The reason for this is simple, MONEY!, this country spent over 20 years building private sector prisons( California alone houses 40 of them ),you don't spend years building hundreds,if not thousands,of private sector prisons without having a surplus of fresh bodies to warehouse in them,hence, the so-called "war on crime" this is where companies like CCA,( Correctional Companies of America )Wackenhut,and GEO lobbied congress to pass draconian crime bills and mandatory sentencing, not to reduce crime,but to serve as a means in which to ensure there was a surplus of convicted felons for these private sector prisons to lock up at will, the courts get kickdowns by way of "state funding" and local law enforcement is allowed to keep any monies or property seized from any illegal activity as an incentive to more aggressively look for "bad guys", and as a result, crimes that were mere misdemeanors only a few years ago are felonies today, it's all about money and greed people, they don't care if you can't support your family and have to resort to crime in order to just survive, hell, they want you to commit crimes so they can keep locking you up and making money off of your incarceration to the tune of $ 30,000 per year, there's simply no incentive for them to pass laws that would, for example, automatically expunge your felony after so many years has passed because there's simply no money in rehabilitation, hell, even the media and mainstream tv is on their bandwagon, why do you think every other station has about 5 court shows on per day?, the bottom line is if we want our rights back we're going to have to fight for them, there's an estimated 20,000,000 non violent felons in this country at this moment, many of which can vote ( or have family members who can if they can't due to their state's laws),so you see we're really not that powerless after all, the next time some politician campaigns as being tough on crime take to the polls vote him/her out of office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RA in Las Vegas, Nevada

41 months ago

if enough people do this enough times it will send a clear signal to anybody running for office that NVF's (Non Violent Felons) are tired of being treated like second class citizens, we're a serious force to be reckoned with, and we're not going to take this laying down any longer, not only that, if enough of these "tough on crime" politicians start losing elections because we successfully voted them out of office, trust me, they'll start taking notice REAL QUICK!, then we'll be in a position to have laws passed that will help felons, but if your waiting for some politician to come along championing felon's rights don't hold your breath, if we want our rights back we're going to have to fight for them, plain and simple.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

meathead030 in Las Vegas, Nevada

41 months ago

Kaelinda in Shanks, West Virginia said: Think about this from the point of view of the employer. If s/he hires a felon and that felon commits another crime, that employer will be in the news - and it will be all bad publicity. Employers can't take a chance on a felon.

Think about it from the point of view of a victim. Identity theft destroys lives - completely and utterly. So what if someone committed the crime 10 years ago, my life is STILL a disaster. I was too old then and am too old now to make back the money that was stolen from me or the reputation that was stolen from me. I no longer drive a car because my driver's license was revoked when someone else, using my license, got 21 points - 21!!!- on my license. My disability insurance was disallowed because while I was laid up in bed with a broken back, some one else was working in another state using my social security number. Just tell me why the person who did this to me should have another chance in society, when I will never have one?

So you would rather have that person be forced to do that to somebody else because they aren't given the chance to become a productive member of society?

SanAntonian in San Antonio, Texas

41 months ago

Why dont people understand that a back ground check CANNOT predetermine what an individual is going to do. They're useless. Just because a person (statistically women), doesnt get caught, prosecuted or even arrested doesnt mean they havent done anything. Statistics from 5 Years Ago show 1 person in every 142 people have been in jail or prison, and thats not including the people who have been on probation which is significantly much higher than incarceration rates, and that is NATIONWIDE. Or wont do anything to you in some form like smack you,steal from you or call you horrible names.
The REAL Reality of it all is, people just dont trust anyone. Regardless if they have a record or not. Who can you trust, theres a bit of paranioa in everyone.There are tons, I mean TONS of people who have done all kinds of wrong and never have been in trouble with the law. They're either lucky or careful but to all of you who think a simple background check is going to tell you something about a person good luck. It gives you a fake sense of security and leads you to believe that the person you just hired isnt going to empty your vault, or run off with your kid, or smack you around I mean the list goes on for ever, your sadly mistaken.

And just to clarify, I am NOT a career criminal, violent offender of any kind, or someone who suffers form bad moral turpitude. Im just a victim of circumstance and choose to stick up for all those who have been one as well.

Since 9-1-1 the nation has gone into overdrive with all the criminal background check companies that pop-up like corn stalk. That idea was made to defend our country from inside/outside terror organizations. It was not intended to fire and prevent honest citizens from supproting their families. The same guys that have worked honestly, respectfully, and continuously for many many years are now victims of their very own countries fight against "terrorism.

I this really our new country? Whats next?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Depressed!!! in Georgetown, Texas

39 months ago

I just wanted to say that there is a website. www.fala.com Felons Adjusting to Life Again. I found it really helpful. There is an 800# on this site. I have been searching for work as a convicted felon since Feb 2010. I like all of you have responsibilites & it's getting harder everyday. Where are the jobs hiring in Austin, Tx. I have had 2 whammy's hit be back 2 back. I get out of a federal prison & then Hurricane Katrina. When I thought I got back on my feet working for Walmart for over 8 years. I made it here to Austin, Tx & they fired me. Yes, I reported to them I was a convicted felon but I know that is the whole reason they fired me. I'm here with no family & grown woman bills. It's really something now. Any suggestions. I will take whatever you have legally that is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

Depressed!!! in Georgetown, Texas said: I just wanted to say that there is a website. www.fala.com Felons Adjusting to Life Again. I found it really helpful. There is an 800# on this site. I have been searching for work as a convicted felon since Feb 2010. I like all of you have responsibilites & it's getting harder everyday. Where are the jobs hiring in Austin, Tx. I have had 2 whammy's hit be back 2 back. I get out of a federal prison & then Hurricane Katrina. When I thought I got back on my feet working for Walmart for over 8 years. I made it here to Austin, Tx & they fired me. Yes, I reported to them I was a convicted felon but I know that is the whole reason they fired me. I'm here with no family & grown woman bills. It's really something now. Any suggestions. I will take whatever you have legally that is.

The correct web address is www.falagroupinc.org/

Good luck and best wishes.

rct79

37 months ago

I am a felon as well...single mother of three....thank god my mom is alive to help me bcause i cat depend on TEXAS to give me a job!!! i made a mistake and it was an accident. literally. so why cant i have a second chance?? why cant any one that has a felon prove that they have cahnged and be given a second chance, i wish i knew who i could talk to make thngs better for ex offenders. i tried every where i even have college degrees and that doesnt seem good enough!! maybe i should move to another country i seriously thought about that!!!

Saddened in San Antonio, Texas

37 months ago

Times are especially hard since the recession. Even though Texas does not claim to be participating in the recession, it is hard just to live in this state with its below the normal, metropolitian city market-value wages. Texas weather (for me) is great but its their state of affairs and the TX criminal justice policies that lack real progression like other states I have lived. If you have a way out of Texas, go! to a more forgiving state. Do your homework on local support sysytems and/or perhaps someone start a helpline for those who need the support system before they end up back in the Texas system. I do not have a felony but I have family with felonies and they seem to find work in NY just fine. Stay away from the bible belt states that have a strong republican background! Contact nonprofit agencies in Bexar County that specialize in this advocacy and finding jobs! Call your local United Way (dial 211) and begin networking that way. Its a start and I wish I had a real answer for you.

Harley69 in Smyrna, Georgia

36 months ago

Eric in San Antonio, Texas said: I'M GOING THROUGH SAME THING AND I AM ON PROBATION I JUST FINISHED SCHOOLING FOR (HVAC) ALOT OF COMPANIES WON'T TAKE ME CAUSE I GUESS THE FACT OF THAT I WILL BE ENTERING HOMES AND IT WASNT EVEN FOR ROBBERY OR ANYTHING BUT I TELL YOU THIS MUCH PUT YOUR TRUST IN GOD AND READ BIBLE AND PRAY ASK GOD TO TRANSFORM YOUR WAYS AND TO COME IN TO YOUR HEART THEN THE REST WILL BE GIVEN UNTO YOU AND ALL IS GOD'S TIMING NOT OURS! EVEREYTHING IN OUR LIFE IS MEANT TO BUILD US NOT TO BREAK US GOD IS AWESOME LET HIM HAPPEN TO YOU!YOU COULD PROBABLY TRY SELF CONTRACTORS MAYBE THEY WILL GIVE YOU A SHOT.DON'T GIVE UP THE DEVIL IS A LIAR!
WITH GOD ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!
Are you getting any jbb offers????

Son in the same boat in Phoenix, Arizona

35 months ago

john rodriguez in San Antonio, Texas said: I made a mistake and paid for it but im poor if I go fill out an app. im praying they call me to work.I have expereince in all kinds of trades but Im still on a computer searching for a good job why is that.

These days it is not about what skills you have or what you can or cannot do. It is all about who you know. A fact of life.

Tommy Acosta 4994@yahoo.com in San Antonio, Texas

35 months ago

Organize! Organize! people Movement..... We are organizing n need more people! c-m on my brothers and sisters! all of us or none is here in san antonio Texas! all of us or none is a national organizing iniative started by formely incarcerated people to fight for the human rights of prisoners.we feel that after our sentence has been completed/ Enogh is Enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! our goal is to build political power in the communities most affected by mass incarceration and the growth of the prison industrial complex. please email me acosta4994@yahoo.com

hakeem10 in Spring, Texas

35 months ago

I would like to organiz, just like the million man march on Washington, DC a few years ago. What do I need to do?

tommy acosta in San Antonio, Texas

35 months ago

stallion1824 in Austin, Texas said: My office happened 25 years ago, and now one wanted to give me the chance to prove myself. So, I decided, the hell with everyone, I am going to create my own destiny... I started my own business!! It didn't take much to start, and now I control my own survival in this cruel world.

join us

35 months ago

stallion1824 in Austin, Texas said: My office happened 25 years ago, and now one wanted to give me the chance to prove myself. So, I decided, the hell with everyone, I am going to create my own destiny... I started my own business!! It didn't take much to start, and now I control my own survival in this cruel world.

join us

35 months ago

sam in San Antonio, Texas said: i made a mistake as well, but i have made a complete turn around by going back to school and obtaining my bachelor's degree this december(20080. All i need know is for someone to give me a chance to apply my skills and showcase the knowledge i have obtain. Any takers... respond at sammaldo100@yahoo.com

join us

35 months ago

rct79 said: I am a felon as well...single mother of three....thank god my mom is alive to help me bcause i cat depend on TEXAS to give me a job!!! i made a mistake and it was an accident. literally. so why cant i have a second chance?? why cant any one that has a felon prove that they have cahnged and be given a second chance, i wish i knew who i could talk to make thngs better for ex offenders. i tried every where i even have college degrees and that doesnt seem good enough!! maybe i should move to another country i seriously thought about that!!!

join us

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

rct79 said: I am a felon as well...single mother of three....thank god my mom is alive to help me bcause i cat depend on TEXAS to give me a job!!! i made a mistake and it was an accident. literally. so why cant i have a second chance?? why cant any one that has a felon prove that they have cahnged and be given a second chance, i wish i knew who i could talk to make thngs better for ex offenders. i tried every where i even have college degrees and that doesnt seem good enough!! maybe i should move to another country i seriously thought about that!!!

join us

35 months ago

Daniele Pitts in Lubbock, Texas said: My goal is to get the legislature changed or create new legislature that addresses these issues. My boss just hired another ex-con, and we are both so grateful to him for giving us a chance. The lawyers in our office now see, because of us, what most ex-cons endure upon release. They are willing to help in any way. Rome wasn't built in a day, so I won't get this done overnight. But, rest assured that I will not give up.

join us

35 months ago

Daniele Pitts in Lubbock, Texas said: My goal is to get the legislature changed or create new legislature that addresses these issues. My boss just hired another ex-con, and we are both so grateful to him for giving us a chance. The lawyers in our office now see, because of us, what most ex-cons endure upon release. They are willing to help in any way. Rome wasn't built in a day, so I won't get this done overnight. But, rest assured that I will not give up.

join us

Tommy Acosta in San Antonio, Texas

35 months ago

Bruce in San Antonio, Texas said: Hello Shannon, I have been going through the same ordeal as everyone else. I'd hopefully like to talk more with you about what's happening if you are available. musikman1115@aol.com

join us

Tommy Acosta in San Antonio, Texas

35 months ago

Bruce in San Antonio, Texas said: Hello Shannon, I have been going through the same ordeal as everyone else. I'd hopefully like to talk more with you about what's happening if you are available. musikman1115@aol.com

join us

yahmeen in Hicksville, New York

34 months ago

im a felon and i made a mistake aswell. but it is oppression what the USA is doing to us. why are we trying to adapt to the oppression? we should be protesting this. we should be on the streets against this violation of human rights. they should have killed me in jail. i would respect it more then to live a beggar,because of a crime i committed years ago. i cant even get a job at mc Donald. i have a family and it hurts me everyday to look at them. it seems no one cares about our condition. if they lift these laws against us more people will have opportunity to work. instead of going thru these embarrassing workshops as if i dont no how to speak and lift a box. if i see Obama i will curse his ass out. i will tell him how i really feel and what is really going on

Jean in Millerstown, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

I sent my stepson to a jobfair for exoffenders at the courthouse on July 15. The security guard turned him away at the door telling him there was no job fair. I've just confirmed with Project Rio that the job fair did take place. Did this happen to anyone else?

t in San Antonio, Texas

33 months ago

sounds like hes just pulling your leg..he doesnt wanna work

mt in San Antonio, Texas

33 months ago

Daniel in San Antonio, Texas said: Id like to know what type of jobs youve had, Ive my record checked back till birth

exactly.. they go back way farther than that..and will say no...and make up a reason as to why they wont hire you..like your not what were looking for at this time..that seven your nonsense is trash..and if your out looking for work who has the extra 5.grand to hire an attorney everytime a company brings up your record..make me think..people are just bs=ing around on this site..!!

mt in San Antonio, Texas

33 months ago

RA in Las Vegas, Nevada said: if enough people do this enough times it will send a clear signal to anybody running for office that NVF's (Non Violent Felons) are tired of being treated like second class citizens, we're a serious force to be reckoned with, and we're not going to take this laying down any longer, not only that, if enough of these "tough on crime" politicians start losing elections because we successfully voted them out of office, trust me, they'll start taking notice REAL QUICK!, then we'll be in a position to have laws passed that will help felons, but if your waiting for some politician to come along championing felon's rights don't hold your breath, if we want our rights back we're going to have to fight for them, plain and simple.

what makes a low life thief,drug addict,or child molester, any better than a person that uses violence to get his/her point across or to make it in life..your thinking is all screwed up..youd be my punk for sure..

mt in San Antonio, Texas

33 months ago

bob in San Antonio, Texas said: Hey your not alone.I've been trying to get a job for awhile now and they won't hire an ex-felon,my offense happened over 30 years ago,most state have you EVER! been convicted of a felony.I don't think it's right,but,what can you do?

whats up bob..when did you get out..you come outta willacy not to long ago//

bobjones in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

33 months ago

I am also a felon ,not by choice.Anyway i was in the wrong place at the wrong time.But i don't want to come off as one of those guys that was framed all my life no i did my dirt .Its been fifteen years i got full custody of my child,and im back in school for engineering.I have my cdl and other certs and liscenses. And nothing i cant get a good job.Hey even if i did it fifteen years ago i did my time.I'm not asking for it back.Now i don't agree that every felon should get another chance but here was my situation.When i was nineteen i made bad choices which put me smack dab in the middle of the ghetto.So one night i was in the projects and was called over to a car where a man asked me a question .Now i don't remember the question but i do remember what happened next,Cops ran out from everywhere and i got arrested for sales and manufacturing of cocaine 1.5 grams was in posession of the guy in the car.So i take it jury trial but i have no money to get a good lawyer,here is the kicker in trial the guy stated he did not buy it from me but from someone else ,and they had no evidence except the cop saying he seen me handing it to the guy and i lost and got 1-2 years in prison which i served and got out . Now i have been pretty good since then except your speeding tickets.So in my life i got f--ked and there is no way out .My daughter is suffing over my past mistakes and is that fair i dont think so

mimi in San Antonio, Texas

33 months ago

Its sad that we live in a reactionary society that looks to trap people after they have done their mistakes instead of a prevention society that acts to prevent its people from falling prey to the streets. I agree that not all people should be freed from the blame but I also know many people (races) are profiled and stalked by police into cracks and crevices and only pulled out of trouble in hand-cuffs. "All of us or none of us" has a chapter here in San Antonio & is a national organization that helps people live their lives after incarceration and teaches them to be proactively vocal in legislation issues. The southern states are particularly harder on the formerly incarcerated.

alicia in San Antonio, Texas

33 months ago

john rodriguez in San Antonio, Texas said: I made a mistake and paid for it but im poor if I go fill out an app. im praying they call me to work.I have expereince in all kinds of trades but Im still on a computer searching for a good job why is that.

I AM A FELON WHO DID MY TIME IN FLORIDA, AND THE STATE OF FLORIDA(PINELLAS COUNTY) HAS A PROGRAM THAT IF A FELON IS HIRED IN THAT COMPANY, THE STATE OF FLORIDA WILL PAY THE COMPANY FOR HIRING FLORIDA CONVICTS.MAYBE SOME THING CAN BE DONE HERE IN TEXAS AS WELL IF WE ALL GET TOGETHER AND DO THE SAME. A PETITION OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. IT WOULD HELP ALOT OF US TO HAVE A BETTER WAY OF LIFE AND TO KEEP US FROM DOING THE SAME MISTAKES AGAIN, WE ALL NEED A SECOND CHANCE.

Steve Huerta in San Antonio, Texas

33 months ago

My name is Steve Huerta President of the Texas Chapter of All of Us or None a national, grassroots civil rights movement dedicated to building political power for people in communities devastated by mass imprisonment. We are a national organizing initiative of prisoners, former prisoners, felons and their families that was started as a project of Legal Services for Prisoners with Children and through AOUON chapters we unite and build local and national political power so we can we can defeat specific aspects of prejudices and discrimination that occur against us in every state.
We are engaged in a political struggle, we are prisoners confined outside the walls that once held us and held captive by political and economic slavery. They have given us less than minority status, we have become an invisible citizen, unseen and forgotten and all in plain view. There is no doubt in any of our collective minds that the only foreseeable end to the hardships that we continue to endure is for us to unite in our efforts to yield the power to control the political landscapes of our communities, our cities, counties, states, and entire country.

I do not wish to live as a slave, betrayed by political and human treachery hidden behind statutory law and yet it is indeed that which i am today. as for tomorrow, down the road, it is at your side on the front lines that i pray i will be. i invite you all to this national movement and pledge my unwavering determination in the struggle for democracy and human dignity.

send your contact info to allofusornone_texas@hotmail.com so we can send you more information about us and our "Ban The Box" on employment applications campaign and petition.

cc in San Antonio, Texas

32 months ago

Does anyone know when that job fair is for felons? I read on here last year that there was one sometime around this time of year. Anyone who has suggestions on jobs that hire pls send me information.crystalmaguilera@yahoo.com Thanks.

marlinrebel@yahoo.com in San Antonio, Texas

32 months ago

Yes CC in San Antonio, it was back in March

Murphygirl in Saint Louis, Missouri

32 months ago

I've been looking for work for 2 1/2 years with no luck. I was laid off after 8 years when new management came in. My offense was 24 years ago. 24 YEARS! Federal felony....was a bank teller & took less than 3,000. Now I wish the sentence had been execution. I can't take much more of this hell. I'm too old to start at the bottom & "prove" myself another time and work my way up. I'm a good person...have a good heart.

Murphygirl in Saint Louis, Missouri

32 months ago

I've been looking for work for 2 1/2 years with no luck. I was laid off after 8 years when new management came in. My offense was 24 years ago. 24 YEARS! Federal felony....was a bank teller & took less than 3,000. Now I wish the sentence had been execution. I can't take much more of this hell. I'm too old to start at the bottom & "prove" myself another time and work my way up. I'm a good person...have a good heart.

Hugo in San Antonio, Texas

30 months ago

Murphygirl in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I've been looking for work for 2 1/2 years with no luck. I was laid off after 8 years when new management came in. My offense was 24 years ago. 24 YEARS! Federal felony....was a bank teller & took less than 3,000. Now I wish the sentence had been execution. I can't take much more of this hell. I'm too old to start at the bottom & "prove" myself another time and work my way up. I'm a good person...have a good heart.

Im a convicted felon, its a non violent felony 3rd DWI, (BTW, these types of 3rd offense should be change to misdemeanors) was givin just 5 year probation for it. I found work, working as a Sales Demonstrator, doing either food or wine/beer demonstartions in retail stores. these jobs are contractor jobs, not all contractor jobs do background check, they pay $10 - 20 for 3hours.Many of these small companies do ask to check background, but unless you "say yes" they will check, but some dont even bother to check, just your past employment history I suggested you go to craigslist.com and check your City job section, and listing "click Retail" these positions are highlighted as Demonstration, keep an eye on them. they are always in demand. it may not be a full time job but its a start, it builds confidents above all it gives you money to survive while your 7 years of crime expires. I currently hold 3 different of these types of jobs and make 20hour for each. you can make it too. dont give up!! I hope this helps anyone! GodBless us all! We must fight for change, laws are getting tougher and noone is saying anything!

sierradeandre@yahoo.com in Austin, Texas

30 months ago

Hello shannon, my name is Irene and I have a deffered adudication on my background I dont know how this works but because of my background I am unable to find a job. do you know of any companys that will give you a second chance.

30 months ago

Hello Mr. Huerta, My name is Irene I hate the idea that because you make a mistake once. I feel that there should be companys out there to give you a second chance. I have been looking for work and because of my background I am not able to get employment. Do you know of any companys here in san antonio, that Hire people with backgrounds... please let me know .. than you

30 months ago

Hello I my name is Irene, I have a background and I have been struggling to get a job, here in San Antonio. I just wanted to know if its true that your background clears after 7 years? please let me know.

30 months ago

sierradeandre@yahoo.com in Austin, Texas said: Hello I my name is Irene, I have a background and I have been struggling to get a job, here in San Antonio. I just wanted to know if its true that your background clears after 7 years? please let me know.

Back grounds don't go anywhere, ever. Especially when your charged in the state of Texas. Sorry :( Unless you really do have a deferred case, then you might be able to have it expunged depending on a long list of things. Good luck because once Texas Law gets there hands on you, your lucky if it gets removed
As a criminal justice major at a local university let me just say that those lawyers you work for have been educated about the hardships that follow incarceration or even probation. But its not about us or our well being, its really about theres. Now you might find a needle in a haystack, the one or two individuals that will help you out but thats usually not the norm. For a deferred case you should have it wiped clean when you finish your probation or service, if you really got deferred.
The problem is the laws or lack there of that allow companies to conduct random background checks on any person they want. People with backgrounds have always been around, always, but the one,two,three clicks of your mouse and out comes a semi-correct background check is really where the problem lies. These checks arent regulated or even %100 correct, that should be illegal in my opinion. Perhaps we all should start spreading the term "RESTORATIVE JUSTICE !" And asking for it, so we can simply stay out of the court rooms all together. Maybe that will help prevent some of the problems that we are all facing in Blogs such as this one. Thanks and good luck. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

As a criminal justice major at a local university let me just say that those lawyers you work for have been educated about the hardships that follow incarceration or even probation. But its not about us or our well being, its really about theres. Now you might find a needle in a haystack, the one or two individuals that will help you out but thats usually not the norm.
The problem is the laws or lack there of that allow companies to conduct random background checks on any person they want. People with backgrounds have always been around, always, but the one,two,three clicks of your mouse and out comes a semi-correct background check is really where the problem lies. These checks arent regulated or even %100 correct, that should be illegal in my opinion. Perhaps we all should start spreading the term "RESTORATIVE JUSTICE !" And asking for it, so we can simply stay out of the court rooms all together. Maybe that will help prevent some of the problems that we are all facing in Blogs such as this one. Thanks and good luck. :)

30 months ago

Ok, I'm going to repost this:

Don't be so quick to rock the boat. It might tip over and if it sinks, we all drown. There already exist laws that benefit ex-cons. Read this post: www.indeed.com/forum/loc/San-Antonio-Texas/why-is-hard-felon-get-job-but-if-your-lawyer-judge/t91120/p1#c940478

I don't think you can get the legislature to do anymore than they already have. However, I certainly think you can convince them to repeal that law altogether... and then where would we be. You are much better off trying to enforce the existing law. Yeah, that means you got to hire an attorney. But you do have rights and you can enforce them.

30 months ago

And I'll repost this one too:

BroncoBilly is correct. The law can be found on the Texas Legislature's website: www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/ and here is a direct link to the section that contains the 7 year limit for background checks: www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/BC/htm/BC.20.htm#20.05

However, protecting your rights under this law is easier said than done. There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of different "credit reporting agencies" (CRAs) that prepare background reports for employers. Not all of them follow Texas law. Many CRAs actually have there place of business in another state. The law DOES apply to them insofar as they are preparing reports on Texas employment applicants for Texas employers, but enforcing the law is difficult. You have to understand your legal rights and the legal procedures you must use.

If your offense is beyond the 7 year limit, then first of all do NOT volunteer the information on an employment application. Check the box that says "No" and do not admit to the offense at any time during the process. If it appears on a background report obtained by your employer, then formally contest the accuracy of the report under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and request a copy of the report and the contact information for the CRA that prepared the report for the employer. (If you cite the Texas law instead of the FCRA, it will alert the employer to the 7 year limit.) Then contact the CRA and inform them of the Texas law regarding the 7 year limit and they are obligated to resubmit a corrected report to the employer. Hire an attorney if necessary or atleast threaten to

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

The is there. The problem is that companies generally disregard it. That does not mean you can not benefit from it. Learn your rights and learn how to assert them. It's not a perfect solution. And it's not a perfect world. But if you start making waves with the politicians, we have a lot more to lose than to gain. There are only a dozen states that actually have a limitation on background checks and Texas is one of them. Knowledge is power. Learn your rights and learn how to assert them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.